Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2022, 17:52   #9391
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Hello everyone, Planing to do a temple run this weekend and I’m visiting Kukke, Dharmasthala, Horanadu, Sringeri, Udupi, Mangalore, and then back to Bangalore following the same order as above, while I plan to take Bisle Ghat while on my way from Bangalore, But on the way back I plan to take Shiradi Ghat while coming back from Mangalore to Bangalore.

Need to know the following, if anybody who has recently travelled this route can help me with the relevant information then I will be really grateful.
1. Is Shiradi ghat open?
2. Can I manage with a Kia Carens with 5 onboard?
3. How is the road condition from BC road- Nelyadi?
4. How is the road condition from Gundya-Hassan?
Old 13th October 2022, 10:06   #9392
BHPian

We, normally, do the same places, but in a different order (esp to avoid the roads before and after Shiradi ghat): Bangalore - Horanadu - Sringeri - (via Agumbe) Udupi - Mangalore - Dharmasthala/Subramanya - Subramanya/Dharmasthala - Bangalore
Onward journey is Agumbe ghat to get to the coast and return is either Sampaje or Charmady depending on which temple we visit first Subramanya or Dharmasthala.

Shiradi Ghat is open and good too. However, it is the roads before and after that is not good. I will let the experts chime in and also answer the other questions.

Last edited by kiran_aithal : 13th October 2022 at 10:06. Reason: Typo
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 21:04   #9393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushyanth View Post
1. Is Shiradi ghat open?
2. Can I manage with a Kia Carens with 5 onboard?
3. How is the road condition from BC road- Nelyadi?
4. How is the road condition from Gundya-Hassan?
I did Mangalore-Bangalore last Saturday via Shiradi. But i wouldn't suggest it unless you have no other option.

Actual ghat section is as good as ever, but the roads before and after are pathetic (that's putting it mildly). Particularly some 10 KM section before entering Sakaleshpur, near Manjarabad was terrible. To add to it, there was a long queue of vehicles/lorries in that section with some bigger SUVs trying to bulldoze their way through, which made it a very bad driving experience.

Only reason i took Shiradi instead of Charmadi was that i had to be in Bangalore by certain time in the evening and didn't want to get stuck in Charmadi which can happen sometimes.

There's actually a small detour before Skaleshpur than can be taken to avoid the bad section but i missed it and didn't want to go back, so ended up taking the usual route. The detour adds around 7 KM of extra distance, through some interior roads with some narrow sections, but quality of road surface is good, and you will actually reach Sakaleshpur faster that way.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-screenshot-20221013-8.48.06-pm.png
SilentEngine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 12:47   #9394
Senior - BHPian

Just returned from a trip to Chickmangalur. This post is to update on road conditions upto Hassan.

4 laned highway remains superb almost from Neelamangla till CR Patna than things get worse with innumerable diversions.

Original 2 lane CR Patna bypass conversion to 4 lane is ongoing with constant changes in lane, sometimes 4 sometimes 2, so one needs to be careful.

8 flyovers are under construction between CR Patna and Hassan. So you need to get onto the service roads which are narrow and have terrible speed breakers. Can imagine the glee in the speed breaker makers when they hear the thud of a vehicle going a wee bit too fast.

And these multi million rupee flyovers don't seem to fly over anything significant. A small road or even a track crossing is adequate excuse to construct them. What a colossal waste of our money.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 14:14   #9395
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone, Planing to do a temple run this weekend and I’m visiting Kukke, Dharmasthala, Horanadu, Sringeri, Udupi, Mangalore, and then back to Bangalore following the same order as above, while I plan to take Bisle Ghat while on my way from Bangalore, But on the way back I plan to take Shiradi Ghat while coming back from Mangalore to Bangalore.
Hi, eagerly waiting for feedback from you on this, if you have finished this trip. Have scheduled a Udupi - Dharmasthala - Kukke - Bangalore trip between 26th to 28th. Is the above doable in a day, 10 to 12 hours ?
Old 20th October 2022, 14:41   #9396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you share your feedback of driving via the Bisle Ghat route? And also the route you took from Bangalore to reach that ghat route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Hi, eagerly waiting for feedback from you on this, if you have finished this trip. Have scheduled a Udupi - Dharmasthala - Kukke - Bangalore trip between 26th to 28th. Is the above doable in a day, 10 to 12 hours ?
+1 to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krao View Post
I have recently travelled this way. Route is good. There is a good restaurant called Sri Lakshmi Delicacy in Arakalagud. They had tasty hot Bonda soup.
Could you share what route did you take from C.pattana to Bisle ghat and how was the condition? I'm open to take a slightly longer route if there's good roads to reach Bisle ghat. We plan to stop at Subramanya on the way.
Old 20th October 2022, 16:40   #9397
BHPian

I took Bisle ghat on my way back to Bangalore. Route is via Arakalagud and Holenarasipur. Roads were good in August month.
abhi_krao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 20:37   #9398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Can you share your feedback of driving via the Bisle Ghat route? And also the route you took from Bangalore to reach that ghat route?
Bisle is good, as of September 3rd week. some rough patches, but nothing to worry. Avoid late evening or night drive, at some places it is really scary at late night.

Just take a deviation from Bangalore-Hassan Highway at Channarayapattanna and then -->HoleNarasipura --> Arakalgud --> Sanivarasanthe --> Kudurasthe --> Bisle Ghat --> Subramanya.. Roads are decent with good number of humps (but not too bad).
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 10:10   #9399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Could you share what route did you take from C.pattana to Bisle ghat and how was the condition? I'm open to take a slightly longer route if there's good roads to reach Bisle ghat. We plan to stop at Subramanya on the way.
I did this recently and my experience is quoted below. Avoided Holenarsipur and took Gorur >> Arkalgud from Hassan which has got good roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasark View Post
Given the pathetic condition of roads on the Shiradi ghat road, took Bisile ghat during the last week of September. This was my first time on this route and did Bangalore (Bannerghatta Road) to Mangalore (Kuntikan) in 6 hrs 45 minutes including a 10 minute break.

Route taken Bannerghatta Road >> Nice Road >> Nelamangala >> Hassan >> Gorur >> Arkalgud >> Shanivarasanthe >> Koodrasthe >> Bisile Ghat >> Subhramanya >> Uppinangady >> Mangalore.

Mostly good motorable roads throughout & Bisile ghat was nice to drive.
suhasark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 17:30   #9400
BHPian

Hi all, Yes I did complete the trip as mentioned before and did it in the same order as well.

1. Bengaluru-Kukke Subramanya
Good roads till Chanrayapatna later took deviation towards Holenarasipura, Arakalagudu, Shanivarasanthe, Bisile ghat.
Roads have stated to deteriorate from Chanrayapatna to Arakalagudu, some sharp potholes have popped up but nothing alarming but got to keep an eye out for it. will be difficult to spot them early during the dark/rains.

2. Kukke-Dharmasthala
Overall Good roads, nothing to mention specifically but a few mild imperfections here and there which one wouldn't slow down even in a hatchback.

3. Dharmasthala-Horanadu-Sringeri-Udupi-Mangaluru
Brilliant Charmed ghat and onwards, you've gotta search very hard to find a pothole!

4. Mangaluru-Bengaluru
Lot of construction activity from BC road till the start of the concrete section after Nelyadi. They are building elevated roads at all town intersections and involves lots of deviations, but the roads which were left for us to drive on are totally acceptable, nothing to worry about. The concrete section has held up well, no complains there.
After this is where the roads start to get worse, it is approximately 10 kilometres before and after Sakleshpura that the roads are the worse, now having said that it is totally fine to drive on it and can be tackled even with a low GC car as well. I think that they work on this road often just by toping it off with some temporary fix which is making it motorable.
Sakleshpura to Hassan stretch is undergoing widening and almost 80-85% of this stretch is done on either one side and both onward and return traffic is made to go on the finished side, funnily this one side of the newly laid road is way wider than what the whole of the old road was!
Dushyanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 14:57   #9401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Just returned from a trip to Chickmangalur. This post is to update on road conditions upto Hassan.

4 laned highway remains superb almost from Neelamangla till CR Patna than things get worse with innumerable diversions.
The first 7-8 kms from Hassan towards Belur are also brutal now with lots of potholes. Gets better after that stretch.

All the construction work cited caused 5-10min delay at each construction site last Saturday (22 Oct) when driving towards Hassan. Most times the delay was for a two-wheeler or two to cross to the other side of town. Traffic density on the highway was more owing to the festival.

A couple of these "flyovers" are done. Just hoping we get back to 3hrs to Hassan times soon.
amavin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 18:51   #9402

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You can take Hassan-Gorur-Arakalagud. The Gorur route has been in good condition since it was fixed in 2018.

Sampaje ghat fan here
Hi, Is the Sampaje route manageable for a first-timer?
Old 26th October 2022, 20:48   #9403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneani View Post
Yes, this has the wider road compared to charmadi and less truck traffic compared to Shiradi. First timer should not have any problem.
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 21:17   #9404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneani View Post
Roads are better, wider and less traffic (except for the Kushalnagar-Madikeri section). Catch being it is longer than Shiradi and Charamadi.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 21:27   #9405

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Roads are better, wider and less traffic (except for the Kushalnagar-Madikeri section). Catch being it is longer than Shiradi and Charamadi.
Thanks for the kind reply. I don't mind a longer route as long as it is less stressful. One last question though if you don't mind. Does the route have decent pit stops for food and bio-breaks?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks