Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2022, 14:08   #9421
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

How's the rain status in the ghats? Folks who have traveled recently either via Charmadi ghat or Bisle ghat - has the areas experienced any rains over the last 1-2 weeks?
Old 26th November 2022, 13:18   #9422
BHPian

Mangalore-Bangalore via Charmadi ghats- Travel date - 22/11/22 in my Kia EV6.

Departed Mangalore by 6pm. Light to moderate traffic till Bantwal.
Roads significantly narrowed down at Punjalkatte and there was heavy traffic till Ujjire. Lots of cars were being very aggressive and making crazy overtakes in this narrow stretch to make up ground.

Ujjire-Charmadi-Kottigehara- The traffic reduced significantly but the narrow turns in the dark made for careful driving. Some cars were making blind overtakes in hairpin/blind corners. Reached Kottigehara by 8.30pm. Took a break here for some tea and snacks. Departed by 8.45pm.

Kottigehara-Mudigere-Belur-Shantigrama - Road was perfect till Belur, post which there were potholes and broken roads till Hassan ring road. Reached Shantigrama by 10pm, where we had dinner at Sri Krishna Nalapaka/Hotel Skybird, where there is a Zeon charger. The car charged up while we had dinner.

Shantigrama-Bangalore - Very straightforward route, smooth 4 laned roads all the way barring a few diversions for flyover construction till CR Patna. Departed by 11pm and reached Bangalore by 1am.
Rossiter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 14:14   #9423
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Mangalore-Bangalore via Charmadi ghats- Travel date - 22/11/22 in my Kia EV6.
How was the EV6 on the bad stretches? Ride comfort and bounciness?

BTW, this was me yesterday on Shirady ghat. How do you think EV6 will fair on it?

Old 4th December 2022, 14:44   #9424
BHPian

Potholes on Shiradi Ghat road to be filled by Jan 15.

Mangaluru: Dakshina Kannada deputy commissioner Ravi Kumar MR said that the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI)
authorities have been asked to fill all potholes on the Shiradi Ghat stretch of the Mangaluru-Bengaluru National Highway by
January 15.
The DC said that a discussion with the officials of the NHAI, PWD, local gram panchayats, forest department, KPTCL and other
authorities was held in this regard recently. The officials have been directed to expedite the ongoing four-laning of the stretch.
The potholes on the stretch have been causing inconvenience to motorists, he said.
“To facilitate the free movement of traffic, the work on clearing trees and electricity poles should be taken up at the earliest. In
fact, the NHAI was asked to completefilling potholes by December 20, in the wake of the International Bharat Scouts and
Guides International Cultural Jamboree to be held at Moodbidri from December 21,” he said.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/95952886.cms
Old 4th December 2022, 16:33   #9425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How was the EV6 on the bad stretches? Ride comfort and bounciness?

BTW, this was me yesterday on Shirady ghat. How do you think EV6 will fair on it?

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=0_IaU4cD3Nw
One of my friends who got his EV6 on the same day as I did, is a regular on Shiradi. He has no issues with ride comfort or bounciness.

The EV6 is somewhat on the stiffer side so there isn't much bounce or roll.
Rossiter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 20:57   #9426
BHPian

Reached BLR on Monday, Dec 5 early morning through Charmadi.

The section between Punjalkatte and Guruvayanakere is patched up. There were some odd potholes between Guruvayanakere and Ujire, these must have been patched up by now. All the potholes that were present in a couple of hairpin bends in the ghat section are also now patched up.

The only painful section currently on this route is between Belur and Hassan. Hopefully, this section is relaid soon.
fast_elegance is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 13:41   #9427

Hi ALL -- Looking forward for a Bangalore - Kundapura trip this weekend with family on my Maruti-Suzuki Baleno.

Planned Route as follows:

BLR --> Hassan --> Belur --> CHARMADI Ghats --> Ujjire -->Belthangady --> Naravi --> Karkala --> Nitte --> Belman --> Padubidri --> UDUPI --NH--> KUNDAPURA

Especially wanted to know how is the "Belthangady --> Naravi --> Karkala --> Nitte --> Belman --> Padubidri" Stretch ?

Last time has been through the Ujjire --> Venur --> Moodbidri --> Sachiripete --> Jaragikatte --> Mundkur --> Garadi --> Padubidri route (Moodbidri onwards route was good but very narrow and lonely with very less people or vehicles - So planning to avoid this stretch this time assuming Karkala - Padubidri route will be wider/better as its State-Highway SH1)

Suggestions please.

PS: Drive will be during daytime with a target to reach before sunset.
Sanbhat1611 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 15:09   #9428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanbhat1611 View Post

Especially wanted to know how is the "Belthangady --> Naravi --> Karkala --> Nitte --> Belman --> Padubidri" Stretch ?
Roads are mostly good. There is some under construction stretch just after guruvayanakere (few kms) but apart from that nothing to complain about. Enjoy your drive. Last time however I found the stretch from Hassan to Belur as broken with sudden pot holes and lot of traffic.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 9th December 2022 at 15:10.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 20:00   #9429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
The only painful section currently on this route is between Belur and Hassan. Hopefully, this section is relaid soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Last time however I found the stretch from Hassan to Belur as broken with sudden pot holes and lot of traffic.
I returned yesterday, from M'lore to B'lore via Charmady. The treacherous section between Belur <> Hassan is getting repaired. I could see the potholes being filled from Hassan towards Belur.

Also, I could see some flyovers being opened for use between Hassan <> Kunigal.

Now, I hope they do the same on Sakleshpur <> Gundya stretch. Has any traveled recently via Shiradi?

Last edited by JMaruru : 9th December 2022 at 20:11.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 01:36   #9430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Has any traveled recently via Shiradi?
While going from Hassan, 5-6Kms before the cement stretch on the Shiradi ghat is in bad shape. And towards Gundya, too many diversions but very much manageable, the road construction in this area looks to be never ending though.

The route via Charmadi is the best option for now.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 10:41   #9431
BHPian

Quote:
So planning to avoid this stretch this time assuming Karkala - Padubidri route will be wider/better as its State-Highway SH1)

Suggestions please.

Karkala - Padubidri is awesome route with 4 lane highway of very good quality.
But if you are concerned about being lonely thats something be assured of as post evenings this stretch will not have many vehicles especially in weekends. You should be able to cover this stretch in 30 - 40 mins at max.

Not sure when you did Moodabidri route, but when I drove from Surathkal - Moodabidri - Karkala - Padubidri - Surathkal in June, Moodabidri - Karkala was getting prepared for road widening, so I guess it wont be done by now but road quality was really good across the stretch.

Last edited by thirugata : 11th December 2022 at 10:46.
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 09:04   #9432

Hey I reached Kundapur!

By Moodabidri route, I meant this one >> Ujjire --> Venur --> Moodbidri --> Sachiripete --> Jaragikatte --> Mundkur --> Garadi --> Padubidr

Btw this route is 7-8 kms more than the above mentioned Moodbidri route, but the road width and quality is good, esp Nitte to Padubidri route is awesome with markings and reflectors all throughout "Belthangady --> Naravi --> Karkala --> Nitte --> Belman --> Padubidri" Stretch ?

Thanks all for the suggestions/advice so far
Old 12th December 2022, 09:32   #9433
BHPian

The Shiradi Ghat Tunnel project seems to have been shelved. Now, the proposal seems to be to convert the existing 2-Lane concrete road to 4-Lane.

Link to related news:
https://www.daijiworld.com/news/news...newsID=1027768
Old 14th December 2022, 10:38   #9434
BHPian

Planning for a trip during year end holiday period. Looking for your inputs for planning the trip. Will be traveling in a low GC sedan. All the travel will be during the day time. Please suggest the route to take and average travel time.
1. Udupi to Dharmasthala
2. Dharmasthala to Kukke
3. Dharmasthala to Bangalore
4. Kukke to Bangalore

Will be deciding on visiting Kukke based on the time availability while coming back from Dharmasthala
Old 16th December 2022, 10:02   #9435

Hi All,

I drove to Kundapura last weekend and returned yesterday.

1) TO journey:

Went via - BLR >> Hassan >> Belur >> Charmady Ghats >> Ujjire >> Bajagoli >> Padubidri >> Udupi >> KUNDAPURA route

Referring above route, roads were good throughout. Took me 9.5 hours of driving and total distance was 455 kms. (Started at 9:45 am and reached by 7:45 pm including 30-45 mins break). Nitte to Padubidri drive was the highlight with proper markings and reflectors on both sides of the road.

2)RETURN Journey:

Came via - KUNDAPURA >> Kota >> Agumbe Ghats >> Sringeri >> Balehonnur >> Chikmagalur >> Belur >> Hassan >> BLR

Referring above route, Agumbe ghats was smooth and roads looked newly laid. The route was scenic. Most the above route was good with few rough patches between Kota --> Agumbe and before-after Balehonnur. Hassan to Nelamangala was a breeze as always. (Started at 10:30 am and reached home by 8:45 pm including 45 mins break, hence 9.5 hours of driving mostly because of slower avg speed as took this route for the first time and was driving cautiously) Total distance was 419 kms.

MAPS attached.

Quote:
Hi ALL -- Looking forward for a Bangalore - Kundapura trip this weekend with family on my Maruti-Suzuki Baleno.

Planned Route as follows:

BLR --> Hassan --> Belur --> CHARMADI Ghats --> Ujjire -->Belthangady --> Naravi --> Karkala --> Nitte --> Belman --> Padubidri --> UDUPI --NH--> KUNDAPURA

Last time has been through the Ujjire --> Venur --> Moodbidri --> Sachiripete --> Jaragikatte --> Mundkur --> Garadi --> Padubidri route (Moodbidri onwards route was good but very narrow and lonely with very less people or vehicles - So planning to avoid this stretch this time assuming Karkala - Padubidri route will be wider/better as its State-Highway SH1)

Suggestions please.

Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-screenshot-20221216-9.48.05-am.png  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-screenshot-20221216-9.58.10-am.png  

Sanbhat1611 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed