Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2022, 20:18   #9451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Parag or anyone else,
Would you suggest the Tumkur-Hiriyur, Thirthahalli- Agumbe route to be best for landing directly in Udupi, instead of passing through Mangalore?
I heard that sakleshpura sector is in a very bad state.
I am driving tomorrow morning, planning to start around 4 am from my residence in Kannur (Bangaluru)
With Agumbe even Hulikal, you will still have to navigate through ghats anyway to hit the west coast.

The popular alternate over Sakleshpur Shiradi was always Belur Charmadi Ujire Karkala and then reach Udupi.
Old 23rd December 2022, 11:00   #9452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I have to travel to Mangalore this weekend with a detour to Shivamogga. What’s the current best route from Shivamogga to Mangalore? GMaps suggests taking Shivamogga - Thirtahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Karkala - Nitte - Padubidri - Mangalore. Should I stick with this route or is there any better alternative?
I would suggest taking Agumbe - Udupi - Mangalore considering around Karkala would be crowded because of Xmas celebrations.
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 12:05   #9453
BHPian

How is the Shiradi ghat stretch now? Driving to Ullal, Mangaluru tomorrow. Heard repair work is going on in Shirady, or is Charmadi the better option?
Old 24th December 2022, 15:29   #9454
BHPian

Did my annual drive from Bengaluru to saligrama (near kundapura) today. Took the charmadi - karkala - brahmavara route and this is what the Octy reported at the end.
Name:  PXL_20221224_092448900.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  15.4 KB
I had left JP Nagar at 5.45AM and reached saligrama at 2.45PM including 1 breakfast break at 7.30AM in dhruvataare.
Roads were great throughout except a narrow strip in charmadi where I was forced off the road by a KSRTC bus. Fortunately the sedan did not scrape!
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 23:19   #9455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
How is the Shiradi ghat stretch now? Driving to Ullal, Mangaluru tomorrow. Heard repair work is going on in Shirady, or is Charmadi the better option?
I drove Udupi-Mangalore-Shirady-Bangalore today.

What repair work? It is as horrible as ever, may be even worse. Between BC road and Gundya, more than 50% of the stretch appears to be under construction. The horrible stretch from Maranahalli to Sakleshpur is not under repair. Sakleshpur to Hassan is still under 4-lane construction. After Hassan, there are lots of flyover construction. It is just depressing to drive this route.

I was at Uppinangady around lunchtime. At first, I thought of going to the old haunt Hotel Aditya, but they don't even have a proper toilet, for a highway restaurant. So I decided to try the new Royal Mexico, provided they have decent toilet facilities. Fortunately, they do. But it is a not pure veg restaurant. In fact, the waiter belted out only non-veg items when I asked what's there. So I ended up having fish curry rice with Disco tawa fry. This was the only highlight of the drive.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-fish.jpeg
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 09:37   #9456

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think that's the best option. If there is a better option to hit the 4-lane near Udupi, it would be worth a try. But am not sure.
If 4-Lane NH is the priority, one can go from Agumbe to Koteshwar to hit the NH. Drive should be a breeze upto Mangalore, said that it comes at a cost (Tolls). If not in hurry, then you can take the GMAP suggested state highway through the greenery.

PS: Agumbe to Koteshwar is apprx 1h 15 mins drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepax View Post
Planning for Mangalore to Bangalore trip during the coming week. Considering the following options:
1) via Charmadi route
2) via Madikeri, Mysore route

Any recommendations? Does anyone have the Google Maps route via Charmadi?

Many thanks!
Anytime - via CHARMADI is the best option, after descending the charmadi ghat you get Ujjire town, drive towards Belthandy and then Bantwal. From Bantwal anyone can guide you towards Mangalore.

Here is the route: BLR --> Nelamangala (Bypass) --> Kunigal (Bypass) --> Hassan (via Ring road) --> Belur --> Mudigere --> CHARMADI --> Ujjire --> Belthandy --> Bantwal --> MANGALORE

Above should be 8 hrs drive (excluding breaks).

Last edited by Sheel : 26th December 2022 at 18:23. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 25th December 2022, 22:10   #9457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think that's the best option. If there is a better option to hit the 4-lane near Udupi, it would be worth a try. But am not sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You can very much do Hebri Bhramvara directly after which you glide through the bypasses all the way to Mangalore on NH66.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Just drove from Udupi to Shimoga on this route on 20th December. This route is great to drive, a few road widening work in progress near Udupi but road surface is great, even in the diversions. Took about 3 hours for a slow leisurely drive.
Thanks for the suggestions. I took Shivamogga - Thirtahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Bramhavara - Mangalore. It was a breeze to drive between Shivamogga - Bramhavara. I absolutely enjoyed driving in this flawless stretch which had a very thin traffic. The only fly in the ointment - the barricades on NH66 between Udupi - Mangalore. If reminded me of the erstwhile barricades at Mysore road

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 25th December 2022 at 22:14.
guyfrmblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 11:35   #9458
BHPian

Travelled to Udupi on 24th. Route taken was Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmady - Karkala - Udupi.

Road was good for the most part, road widening work is going on from Guruvayankere to Karkala and the surface is not good. Rest of the stretch which had potholes in October are patched up.

The last toll stretch towards Hassan has too many diversions and was a pain to drive due to the increased holiday traffic (starting at 5am did not help). It took me two extra hours to reach destination due to the traffic and witnessed three accidents (rear endings and one topple).
Meph1st0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 17:20   #9459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanbhat1611 View Post
Anytime - via CHARMADI is the best option, after descending the charmadi ghat you get Ujjire town, drive towards Belthandy and then Bantwal. From Bantwal anyone can guide you towards Mangalore.

Here is the route: BLR --> Nelamangala (Bypass) --> Kunigal (Bypass) --> Hassan (via Ring road) --> Belur --> Mudigere --> CHARMADI --> Ujjire --> Belthandy --> Bantwal --> MANGALORE

Above should be 8 hrs drive (excluding breaks).
There were serious potholes in the Ujire/Belthangady route... are they fixed now?

Travelling tomorrow to MLR.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th December 2022 at 18:23. Reason: Please capitalize your starting word / where ever required. Thanks.
Old 26th December 2022, 18:13   #9460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
there were serious potholes in the Ujire/Belthangady route... are they fixed now?

Yup, its fixed now. I travelled few days back.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 18:53   #9461

Quote:
There were serious potholes in the Ujire/Belthangady route... are they fixed now?

Yes, they have been patched - all good. Enjoy your drive.
Sanbhat1611 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 21:57   #9462
BHPian

Quote:
What repair work? It is as horrible as ever, may be even worse. Between BC road and Gundya, more than 50% of the stretch appears to be under construction. The horrible stretch from Maranahalli to Sakleshpur is not under repair. Sakleshpur to Hassan is still under 4-lane construction.
Thankfully, never got to find out! I insisted to my family that they take the Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Bantwal - Mangalore route while going to Mangaluru, even though Maps showed that the Sakleshpura - Shirady route was an hour early than Charmady. My family just ruled out taking the charmadi route if it was an hour longer and was directed to the same charmady route (on Maps) during today’s return. Loved the winding roads and the beautiful scenery along with a relatives Duster diesel, the car is such a joy to drive with its tractable power delivery, the engine never feels stressed out. As a passenger too, the car never wallops as much as our Scorpio on expansion joints and undulations and feels like a sedan in comparison.
I read in the paper that they would be filling out the potholes by Jan 15, hence thought they would have made some progress. Seems like, I’m too optimistic and hopeful in my expectations
Old 28th December 2022, 14:45   #9463
BHPian

Even I went to Udupi on Sunday 25th Dec and took the Hiriyur - Badhravathi - Thirthahalli - Agumbe route. Excellent to good roads all the way through - though mostly small roads - I think google maps told me it was SH or NH or AH 66. Very happy with the condition of the road.

From Udupi we went to Gokarna and stayed there for two additional nights. On the drive back from Gokarna (slight off topic) I took the Sirsi - Haveri - Devangere - Chitradurga - Hiriyur - Tumkur.
Sirsi to Haveri and a little beyond is horrible. The road is being upgraded and full of broken patches and diversions. Advise anyone driving this road if going to these areas.

Last edited by gtonsing : 28th December 2022 at 14:53. Reason: added more details
Old 28th December 2022, 19:56   #9464
BHPian

Quote:

Did a Manipal - Bangalore with my Dad in his Audi A4, roads are really good for the majority of the sections. Only diversion at hassan which is bearable but the diversions just before charmandi were a slight issue owing to the low gc of the Audi, the charmandi twisities you will surely enjoy.
Old 30th December 2022, 09:54   #9465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Yup, its fixed now. I travelled few days back.
I went & returned via this route. and "fixed" is equal to patched just about drivable.

There is one stretch of some 50 mts between Belur - Hassan ring road entrance - that's badly mangled for sometime now and nobody has any plans of fixing that though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks