Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2023, 19:31   #9541
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How is the section between Gundya <> BC Road? Has any traveled on these section in recent past?
I felt it is dangerous for night driving.
Old 4th April 2023, 16:52   #9542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
It's still a work in progress. At some stretches concrete section have been opened for 2 way traffic, diversions remain..
I am OK with diversions, if the surface is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krao View Post
It's still very bad. Try to avoid this for atleast 1 more year.
Bad, as in coz of diversions OR surface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I usually plan my drives to complete by daylight.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 18:41   #9543
BHPian

It's bad for both diversions and surface. The surface is really rough and big vehicles make it very dusty.
abhi_krao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 13:56   #9544
BHPian

Plans for a drive to Karkala on 21st April from Bangalore with the family and wanted to check the route suggestions.
The regular route over the past couple of years has been via Charmady but it's narrow and getting stuck behind a heavy vehicle is quite taxing.
One stretch just after Charmady village on the last run was bad enough to crawl, all be it for a couple of km only around Kakkinje and one bad one at Belthangady.

Wondering if now, it's worth going via Shirady.
From Upinangady, head towards Belthangady or earlier one tp Dharmastala, Ujire and onwards.
The return would be the same route or the alternate depending on the conditions, or thinking if its worth considering Kudremukh, Kalsa and join back at Kottigehara and back to Bangalore. Would'nt mind a scenic route if the road conditions are ok.

The drives will be starting quite early - 6AM from Bangalore and around 8:30AM on the way back.
Driving a Skoda Yeti 4x4
Old 14th April 2023, 14:00   #9545

Hi All

I plan to visit Bangalore after a brief halt at Udupi. I will be driving down from Pune - Goa - Udupi before that.

I want to check what are the best routes

Route A: Thru Agumbe and then head to Bangalore
Route B: Visit the Dubare Elephant Camp Coorg and then Bangalore

Which of the two routes have

1) Fewer ghat sections
2) Decent food joints and clean washrooms en route.
3) Which has better road quality.

I don't mind driving 40-50 Kms extra as I am on a road trip anyways, just the experience has to be good.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 14th April 2023, 17:25   #9546
Senior - BHPian

IMO Route A is the best option if you are not planning to visit Coorg.
Old 14th April 2023, 20:40   #9547

Hi All,

I am planning to travel to Kundapura from Bengaluru on 21st. We are two people in Alto K10, wanted route recommendations.
A) Bengaluru > Hiriyur > Bhadra dam > Agumbe > Kundapura. This is the route we usually take.
B) Bengaluru > Belur > Belthangadi > Karkala > Kundapura.
C) Bengaluru > Belur > Balehonnur > Agumbe > Kundapura.

We usually leave around 7-8 AM and drive leisurely with enough breaks. Can someone please give some ideas around the current condition of the routes and good restaurants for lunch or any other routes that you have taken.

Thanks.
Old 16th April 2023, 12:24   #9548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikkv View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to travel to Kundapura from Bengaluru on 21st. We are two people in Alto K10, wanted route recommendations.
A) Bengaluru > Hiriyur > Bhadra dam > Agumbe > Kundapura. This is the route we usually take.
B) Bengaluru > Belur > Belthangadi > Karkala > Kundapura.
C) Bengaluru > Belur > Balehonnur > Agumbe > Kundapura.

We usually leave around 7-8 AM and drive leisurely with enough breaks. Can someone please give some ideas around the current condition of the routes and good restaurants for lunch or any other routes that you have taken.

Thanks.
In Option B:
Hotel Mayura towards Hassan has been the go-to place for years.
Else, Food Culture a bit before Mayura is a pretty nice place to stop for breakfast.
Karkala, I am travelling next weekend. There are a couple of places for a stop. One is Hotel Prakash for veg food. Fast service and no fuss. The place is nice. It's the go-to for the family when they stay in Karkala. Else, if some non-veg is the pref, Hotel Kateel International. These are decent stops for lunch.
trailsndirt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 18:33   #9549

Hi All,

I travelled to Dharmasthala and back to Bangalore on 15th April. The road from Sakleshpura to the starting of the cement section is fully tarred, however once the cement section ends the road construction is in full swing and will slow down the pace.
Overall if anyone who wants to visit Dharmasthala can take Shiradi Ghat. It took 5 hours 30 minutes of driving time (not including time taken for breaks) from West Bangalore to Dharmasthala.
Chetan23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 20:20   #9550
BHPian

Quote:
I travelled last evening from Mlore to Blore via Ujire-Dharmastala-Gundya-sakleshpur. I think this is a very good alternative now till the stretch from BC road via Uppinangadi gets readied.
Planning to travel to Mangalore next week in a hatchback. Is this still the preferred route compared to Sakleshpur-Gundya-BC Road ?
Old 16th April 2023, 20:33   #9551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarprabhatn View Post
Planning to travel to Mangalore next week in a hatchback. Is this still the preferred route compared to Sakleshpur-Gundya-BC Road ?
The charmadi route is the first option. If any alternative required, you can use this route.
abhi_krao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 09:50   #9552
BHPian

Quote:
The charmadi route is the first option. If any alternative required, you can use this route.
Yes, Charmadi route was good, last I travelled 6 months back. However, I felt it is a bit longer. I was hoping Shiradi route would be done by now .
Old 17th April 2023, 17:57   #9553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsndirt View Post
The regular route over the past couple of years has been via Charmady but it's narrow and getting stuck behind a heavy vehicle is quite taxing. Wondering if now, it's worth going via Shirady.
From Upinangady, head towards Belthangady or earlier one tp Dharmastala, Ujire and onwards.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, Charmadi route was good, last I travelled 6 months back. However, I felt it is a bit longer. I was hoping Shiradi route would be done by now .
Last week, I took the shirady onwards to M'lore and also on the way back. But the routing on the return journey was different, based on my onwards experience.

It's all good until Gundya, from Hassan. The dreaded section is between Gundya <> BC Road, what with all road construction, debris, diversions and rough stretches.

So, for my return, the routing was M'lore > BC Road > Punjalkatte > Ujire > Dharmasthala > Kokkada > Gundya. This is a decent stretch with some rough stretches ONLY between Kokkada > Gundya.

If you want to avoid Charmady, I feel this is the best option to M'lore/Udupi and onwards.
JMaruru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 18:30   #9554
Senior - BHPian

I just did the Manipal-Bangalore trip today in my Sedan. Excellent roads throughout. Took the Ujjire-Charmady-Belur-Hassan route. Took me 7 hours with a 15 min coffee break.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 19:45   #9555

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I just did this route on Friday last. Started from BLR at 4:00 PM. There seems to be a minimal number of potholes. Didnt realize when we reached Sakhleshpura. From Gundya Handpost, diversions are there but nothing seriously dangerous for night driving. The oncoming traffic high beams though can be a challenge for new drivers.

Reached Udupi around 11:30pm with about 3 breaks. One for dinner and two for coffee.

Election Checks at almost every toll booth. Checks will increase closer to election date.
johnmraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks