Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2023, 22:23   #9676
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
What's the best route in terms of road conditions to reach Kundapura/Udupi from Bangalore? Is it via Shimoga or via Belur/Balehonnur/Agumbe?

Belur>Balehonnur>Sringeri>Agumbe was best, as the usual Gmap route via Balehonnur>Hariharpura wasn't that great.

I'm unsure what is the road condition via Shimoga.
Old 17th November 2023, 08:37   #9677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
What's the best route in terms of road conditions to reach Kundapura/Udupi from Bangalore? Is it via Shimoga or via Belur/Balehonnur/Agumbe?
I took this route last weekend - Bengaluru - Hassan - Belur - Charmady - Karkala - Padubidri - Udupi. Roads are good for the most part, nothing to worry about.

Previous visit, I had also tried Karkala - Hiriyadka - Brahmavara route and it was in good condition. This should be a better option if your destination in Kundapura.

Last edited by Meph1st0 : 17th November 2023 at 08:40.
Meph1st0 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 18:38   #9678

Hi Folks,

Planning to travel from Bangalore to Mangalore this Saturday. Would love to take the Shiradi ghat route. Anyone has any updates on this route? I am worried primarily about the section between Sakleshpur town and the ghat section and also the road widening after Gundya. The alternative route that I like is the Mysore -> Madikeri > Puttur one. Any updates on deterioration there? Don't really like Charmadi ghat route. Driving to this destination after a long time, so any help in choosing the route will be appreciated.

Thanks a ton.
Old 21st November 2023, 19:37   #9679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp77 View Post
Hi Folks,

Planning to travel from Bangalore to Mangalore this Saturday. Would love to take the Shiradi ghat route. Anyone has any updates on this route? I am worried primarily about the section between Sakleshpur town and the ghat section and also the road widening after Gundya. The alternative route that I like is the Mysore -> Madikeri > Puttur one. Any updates on deterioration there? Don't really like Charmadi ghat route. Driving to this destination after a long time, so any help in choosing the route will be appreciated.

Thanks a ton.
I have travelled via Shiradi ghat 3 days back, till Gundya.
As far as ghat road is concenred, it holding up well, copmared to last year due to less rains, there are potholes but you can slow down and drive without worry. Beyond Gundya, I heard from my cousin that situation has improved, else you can try Gundya -> Kadaba -> Uppinangadi, road is good, but longer.
DetectiveMiles is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 16:39   #9680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp77 View Post
Hi Folks,

Thanks a ton.
Gundya- Uppinangadi still has diversions and the bigger problem is slow moving trucks. To make it worse, is dusty too. That said road as such would not pose problems to even a sedan. Mysore route is holding up well and if you drive on a weekday- early morning or late night, takes similar time as Shiradi route despite being longer.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 11:29   #9681

Hi

I am planning to take Pune to Udupi in last week of december in my 2018 Baleno. Not sure this is the right forum but could not find any other udupi related threads.
Route/ halts that I am planning to take is
PUNE-Kolhapur-Goa-Udupi-Belgaum-Pune

I will be posting detailed review post the trip completion. Specifically looking for suggestion for Udupi Belgaum route. Which route to take which has good roads and will take less time.

Thank you.
Old 27th November 2023, 12:18   #9682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravish.agarwal View Post
Specifically looking for suggestion for Udupi Belgaum route. Which route to take which has good roads and will take less time.
Udupi - NH66 - Ankola bypass - Yellapur - Kalaghatgi - Hubli bypass - NH48 - Belgaum.
Avoid Kumta - Sirsi - Hubli, road widening is in progress between Kumta & Sirsi.
Shubbi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 21:07   #9683

Hello BHP’ians

Planning to travel to Mangalore (Adyar) tomorrow morning at 3 a.m. Apologies for the late query, a sudden plan has come up and need to leave with short notice.

Usually I take the Charmady Ghat road as Shiradi ghat roads were quite bad when I travelled 1.5 years back.

My main concern is I’m taking a low GC sedan, 520d F10 to be precise, so I’m a little concerned about the Shiradi ghat road due to the sudden appearance of pot holes. I will need to get there by 11 am with minimal stops maybe just to stretch/Bio breaks. Please suggest the best route for the sedan.
Old 6th December 2023, 23:27   #9684
Senior - BHPian

Try Mysore-madikeri-sulia route. Good roads all through.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 20:43   #9685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikstergo1991 View Post
Hello BHP’ians

Planning to travel to Mangalore (Adyar) tomorrow morning at 3 a.m. Apologies for the late query, a sudden plan has come up and need to leave with short notice.

Usually I take the Charmady Ghat road as Shiradi ghat roads were quite bad when I travelled 1.5 years back.

My main concern is I’m taking a low GC sedan, 520d F10 to be precise, so I’m a little concerned about the Shiradi ghat road due to the sudden appearance of pot holes. I will need to get there by 11 am with minimal stops maybe just to stretch/Bio breaks. Please suggest the best route for the sedan.
Since you are starting at 3AM, take Mysore road. Will be little longer but peaceful and fun. You should easily reach by 11AM to Mangalore. You will get some bad patch around Kalladka, manageable though.
Old 10th December 2023, 11:20   #9686
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Am travelling BLR to Mudbidri next Saturday (Dec 16th), will be accompanied by my mother (68 yrs with little back pain).
Prefer good road over lesser distance/time.

Onward route is open – either via Mysore or via Hassan.
But while returning must stop at both Dharmasthala and Hassan. This will be on Friday 22nd.

So should I choose Mudigere - Charmady – Ujire Or Sakleshpur – Shiradi – Dharmasthala for onward/return.
Onward am leaving Sarjapur at 08:00 am – Would Mysore -Madikeri – Bantwal option make sense If yes, then is Bantwal – Mudbidri okay or bad roads.

Also should Mudbidri to Belthangady stretch be via Bajelarodi or any other better longer option?
Old 10th December 2023, 14:35   #9687
BHPian

Drove from Bangalore to Saligrama and back on Dec 8th, 2023.

Took Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpura - Dharmasthala Cross - Ujire - Bajagoly - Padubidri - Udupi - Saligrama.

The roads till almost Sakleshpura is fantastic with most of the road widening complete. Shiradi ghat is also manageable for the most part. Just a few bad patches here and there. Took a deviation to Kukke Subramanya and the roads from Gundya junction till Kukke is butter smooth.

From Kukke to Dharmasthala we drove via Kajarakatte & Ichlampady and those were smooth as well. Nothing to worry about.

All the potholes from Dharmasthala Cross till almost Ujire have been patched which came as a pleasant surprise because I drove on the same roads just 2 weeks ago and it was littered with potholes. Usual excellent roads from Bajagoly - Padubidri - Udupi.

For the return journey we decided to try
Kota - Saibrakatte - Agumbe - Hariharapura - Balehonnur - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore

Butter smooth roads all the way till Hariharapura with 0 potholes and almost negligible traffic. Progress will be a little slow because of the curves. Should've taken the Sringeri route because the roads from Hariharapura - Jayapura was poor. Again, standard good roads from Belur - Hassan - Bangalore
rohittunga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 08:43   #9688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedup View Post
Hi Folks,
Am travelling BLR to Mudbidri next Saturday (Dec 16th), will be accompanied by my mother (68 yrs with little back pain).
Prefer good road over lesser distance/time.
I would suggest B'lore > Hassan > Sakleshpur > Shiradi > Dharmasthala Cross > Ujire > Guruvayankere > Venur > Mudbidri, considering you have an elderly person, as it has less turns and wider roads. Just take it little easy between Sakleshpur > Shiradi and Gundya > Ujire.
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 09:16   #9689
BHPian

I have a trip coming up this weekend to Manipal. Based on the recent feedback here, I am planning to take the below route.

Bangalore > Hassan > Belur > Mudigere > Charmady > Belthangady > Karkala > Manipal

Please let me know if this route is fine, or is there a better option.

Last edited by Repsol : 11th December 2023 at 09:17.
Old 11th December 2023, 09:32   #9690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Bangalore > Hassan > Belur > Mudigere > Charmady > Belthangady > Karkala > Manipal
My perception is that while going, Hassan-Sakleshpura-Dharmasthala-Belthangady works out to be easier. This is because we end up on the ghat mid-morning when Shirady with its wider roads is quicker to descend.

And Belthangady-Nitte-Padubidri-Udupi-Manipal is better to take than via Karkala due to superior quality roads.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks