Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2023, 22:28   #9736
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Any idea what octane petrol they sell ? 91 or 93 or 95 ? "Regular fuel" in all PSU bunks is supposed to be 91 octane.
I think they sell regular fuels (91 octane). The prices are almost same as the price of regular fuels in IOC/BP/HP.
Meph1st0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 18:57   #9737
BHPian

Update -
Did Bangalore to Mangalore via Mysore, Madikeri, Kushalnagar, Sulia route and it was a good drive with no potholes. As everyone know, road till Mysore is the infamous expressway and then the single lane till Sulia. However this was better than Hassan-Sakleshpur route. I could feel this because as soon as I merged onto Mangalore highway at Kalladka, the road worsened. Road expansion, fly overs etc., glad that I took the Madikeri route. Atleast for next 1-1.5yrs, I will suggest people to take the Madikeri route for Blr-Mlr. It is only 20kms additional but removes a lot of frustration from the drive.

Also the west coast drive (NH66) was good. Did Mangalore - Surathkal - Padubidri - Udupi - Marvanthe - Murudeshwar on this highway. Pleasant and smooth drive.

The NH 69, Murudeshwar - Jog falls also was good but completely ghat section. I unexpectedly ended up driving in the evening 6pm and it became dark. Very little vehicles in the dark on the ghat section so people taking this highway better plan earlier while light is there. It was adventurous and it ended well otherwise, no one out there to help.

Then did Jog - Soraba - Hirekerur - Ranebennur - Blr/Pune expressway to reach Bangalore. The Blr/Pune expressway was fantastic as earlier. It reduced travel time by a lot.
darthvader001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 14:11   #9738
BHPian

Back from the year end trip to the coastal cities of Mangalore, Udupi, Kundapura and Murudeshwar - all spanning a total of nearly 1400km.

Onwards to Mangalore, we took the Charmady Road as suggested by Samurai sir. All good here - the ghats is mainly descent and was over within no time. However, the real challenge started after the descent. Constant road repairs and single lane traffic from Kakkinje till BeLthangdy and the 2 cars were coated with a fine red dust. Apart from this stretch that seemed never ending, the surface was mostly excellent. Left Blr - NICE Rd Tumkur Road Jn around 615am and reached Mangalore by 230pm.

Since we were at Kundapura, we chose to return via Agumbe - Sringeri - BaLehonnuru - Alduru - Belur route (as per GMaps). Most of this surface is excellent. Just be wary that although the roads at Agumbe classify as "ghats" technically, the route from after Agumbe to Aldur is pretty much zig-zag throughout the distance with wavy up and down stretches. Although we had some kids who arent very comfortable with such roads, they were busy catching up on lost sleep as we had an early start from Kundapura.

We left Kundapura around 815am post breakfast and after (extremely) leisurely breaks that added 2 hours on the return stretrch, we entered NICE Rd Toll gate around 6pm. As usual, there was a huge rush at Nelamangala and Nice Rd Tolls that ate away a good chunk of the time. Overall, a rather tiring journey on the return leg due the constant left-and right curves before and after BaLehonnuru, but a delight otherwise and a sight for sore eyes - the entire stretch from Kundapura to Aldur is filled with greenery and I was only imagining how this road would be to drive on, during the monsoons.

Some Tips for the return leg: Watch for fast oncoming traffic on curves (aka morons overtaking on blind curves) that will literally drive you off the paved surface and onto the gravel, that is at some places very steep. Allow the idiots behind you (who are smelling your exhaust) to pass and you shall be fine.

Last edited by vsathyap : 31st December 2023 at 14:13.
vsathyap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 18:20   #9739
BHPian

I did a return trip from Mangalore to Bangalore on 31st Dec. Since the traffic on the BCRoad-Charmady section was really bad, decided to take the Shirady route. It's motorable for almost 80% of the section so was happy about this decision. The section however Is bad from Maranahalli till Sakleshpur town. I guess if this section doesn't deteriorate further, will use Shirady only until Mansoon.
abhi_krao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 18:52   #9740
BHPian

Returned to Bangalore yesterday via Brahmavar - Hiriyadka - Karkala - Ujire - Shiradi - Sakleshpur - Hassan - Bangalore

Roads are good from Brahmavar to Ujire
Ujire - Nelyadi is patched up, no potholes
Nelyadi to Shiradi concrete stretch is work in progress, bad but motorable
Shiradi ghat concrete is finally breaking up. I could spot at least 10 places where concrete has broken. Not a concern for four wheeler but something to watch out for motorcycles.
The stretch from Shiradi to Sakleshpur is very bad. What made it worse was the huge pile of traffic - A slow moving truck followed by a cavalcade of 15 to 20 cars traveling at snails pace.
After the Sakleshpur town is crossed, widening has progressed better, at least one side work is completed.
Hassan highway has receives a fresh coat of tar was breeze to drive. There are no diversions now.

I was worried seeing the pile up in Sakleshpur but surprisingly no traffic jam rest of the route including Nelamangala.
Meph1st0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 20:37   #9741

Used Charmadi to get to Mangalore on December 30. If you're lucky, you won't get stuck in traffic in the ghat area because the road is being widened in several places.
But once you cross the ghat, luck plays no role. The whole 30–40 KM stretch until you get to Mangalore is being heavily widened. We're doomed there :-(

On January 1, went back to Bangalore via Madikeri and Mysore. The roads are fine, but the zigzag path will test your patience to the max.
payyans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 09:57   #9742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Going to try booking Tatkal tickets for Karwar Express for tomorrow. I see two premium options. Should I select CC as an option or EV for Vistadome?
Sorry, I was away from BHP for few days and missed this message, on top of it I am unable to recollect the option that we chose while booking.
Old 2nd January 2024, 17:08   #9743

Did Chennai (OMR)->Electronic City->Mysore->Madikeri->Mangalore
and
Mangalore->Subramanya->Hassan->Belur->Electronic City->Chennai (OMR) over the year end

Mysore to Hunsur was an average topped surface, there was a bit of local detour on account of a festival. Further up, towards Madikeri, it was super-hot in the day, roads were okay.
Somewhere after Sullia, I got redirected into Kerala, looks like a Google Map redirection bug. This went through several narrow roads (may be 5 foot wide).
Eventually reset the destination and reached Mangalore.
Don't recollect any major construction stretch except a small one right outside Mysore.

Mangalore->Subramanya had some construction patches in the plains after Adyar etc.
The ghats were decent.

Subramanya to Hassan had a few bad stretches and traffic line up around Sakleshpura. Looks like I skipped around the Shirady ghat.

Closer to Hassan and later towards Nelamangala ,it was a breeze , some stretches were pretty and some proper expressway.

I thank the forum from which I had gleaned several route and stay options
galahad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 21:00   #9744
Senior - BHPian

Drove Bangalore-Manipal today in less than 7 hours. Started from home (Marathahalli) at 4.30 AM and arrived at Manipal at 11.45 AM with an ~30 min breakfast stop at Nidle. 7 AM at Hassan, 9.15 at Aditya for breakfast.

All four NHs (75, 73, 169 & 169A) are seeing widening work. Shirady the first half is in shambles. But there is definite signs of progress though it is all several years away.

Last edited by binand : 2nd January 2024 at 21:01.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 21:04   #9745
Senior - BHPian

Drove Bangalore-Manipal today in less than 7 hours. Started from home (Marathahalli) at 4.30 AM and arrived at Manipal at 11.45 AM with an ~30 min breakfast stop at Nidle. 7 AM at Hassan, 9.15 at Aditya for breakfast.

All four NHs (75, 73, 169 & 169A) are seeing widening work. Shirady the first half is in shambles. But there is definite signs of progress though it is all several years away.

Aditya didn't let us opt for their breakfast buffet, instead directed us to a separate room with a limited menu. Which was fine (buffet is only for those who stay there apparently). We weren't planning on anything more than a dosa apiece.

NBTPL was closed off, I wonder why. Toll was still charged.

Last edited by binand : 2nd January 2024 at 21:14.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 13:05   #9746
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Friends, need help.

Starting point : KIAL bangalore airport
Ending point : some hotel in Udupi
car : lowGC sedan, 3 onboard with lots of luggage

It's been ages since I travelled west of bangalore, so no idea of latest surface quality in any route, except for the knowledge that hassan-mangalore via sakleshpur-shirady-nelyadi-bantwal (old NH75) will be an absolute disaster choice.

Options from google maps :

1. KIAL - hebbal - gorguntepalya - neelamangala - hassan - belur - mudigere - kottigehara - charmadi - ujire - guruvayenkere - one of a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/i
a) naravi - bajegoly - karkala outer - nitte - belman B.S (keep straight) - padubidiri - NH66 - udupi
b) naravi - bajegoly - karkala outer - nitte - belman B.S (take right) - shirva - katpadi - NH66 - udupi
c) naravi - bajegoly - karkala - palli - moodubelle - dendoorkatte (take right) - udupi
d) naravi - bajegoly - karkala - palli - moodubelle - dendoorkatte (keep straight) - katpadi - NH66 - udupi
e) naravi - bajegoly - karkala - joduraste - hiriyadka - manipal - udupi
f) mudbidri - moorukaveri - mulki - NH66 - udupi
g) bantwal - BC road - padil - mangalore (pumpwell or nantoor, which ? ) - NH66 - udupi
h) bantwal - BC road - kaikamba - bajpe - kateel - moorukaveri - mulki - NH66 - udupi
i) some hybrid of a to h above, which I am not seeing.

2. KIAL - hebbal - gorguntepalya - neelamangala - hassan - belur - chikkamagalur - aldur - balehonnur - jayapura - sringeri (advantage temple!!) - agumbe - one of a/b
a) hebri - brahmavara - NH66 - udupi
b) hebri - hiriyadka - manipal - udupi

3. KIAL - devanahalli - doddaballapura - dobbaspet - NH48 towards blore - neelamangala (take right onto NH75) - <same as 1 or 2>

4. KIAL - devanahalli - doddaballapura - dobbaspet - take the road marked "948A" and hit NH75 at gudemaranahalli - <same as 1 or 2>

5. KIAL - devanahalli - doddaballapura - dobbaspet - NH 48 - exit after hiriyur - tarikere - confusion sector** - thirthahalli - agumbe - hebri - one of a/b
a) hebri - brahmavara - NH66 - udupi
b) hebri - hiriyadka - manipal - udupi

** remember reading somewhere in the thread long ago, that it's better to pass through bhadravati town than to actually use the 'bypass' (marked SH57) that passes in front of the dam. Is it true still ? because this 'dam route' is what google suggests today.

As you can see from the number of options and options within options and the possibility to cross-mix options within options with 'other' options within options ; I am royally confused. That's because, the parameter that decides it for me is road surface and not 'shortest duration' (which is why I can't depend on google). I would rather suffer 3-4km of bad stretch (that's still manageable by a sedan) crawling at 10kph in one single shot, rather than slowing down every 5km for rumble strips / humps / potholes, rather than suffer continuous pizza toppings patchwork, even if it costs me 1/2 hour extra.

Last edited by venkyhere : 4th January 2024 at 13:10.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 13:36   #9747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Starting point : KIAL bangalore airport
Ending point : some hotel in Udupi
If you get to Bajagoly, then from there NH 169 to Padubidri followed by NH 66 to Udupi is the best choice - #2 option I don't think even comes close.

I also don't see any reason to seek alternatives to Nelamangala-Hassan.

KIAL to Nelamangala - my impression is that the STRR route via Dabaspete works better than the ORR route via Yeshwantpura.

Hassan-Bajagoly - I drove on 2/1 via Sakleshpura-Dharmasthala-GV Kere. Apart from the top half of Shirady which is in shambles, I didn't feel any particular problem in this route. Yes, there is a lot of development work ongoing starting from Hassan bypass - but the work is so advanced that the diversion lanes are actually final concrete carriageways for the most part.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 19:06   #9748
BANNED

Since I didn't get many responses (apart from @binand) let me rephrase my Q for better readability :

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
And Belthangady-Nitte-Padubidri-Udupi-Manipal is better to take than via Karkala due to superior quality roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsndirt View Post
I reached Karkala on 4th Nov.
The route was taken - via Charmady Ghats.
The roads are pretty sorted till you cross Charmady. From there, till about Naravi, it's a bit bad. Ujire onwards, they are widening the road and what was a decent patch of tarmac has gone to ... whatever.
Tankers and heavy trucks can bash through the ditches that have formed off a blind crest but even in an SUV, it's not good.
These two updates - does it mean GVkere/Belthangady to Karkala is better through mudibidri than through bajegoli ? (one of the 'hybrids' from the 1a to 1f options in my earlier post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
the stretch between Kakkinji, Ujire, Belthangady is quite doable but lot of stretches under construction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
However, the real challenge started after the descent. Constant road repairs and single lane traffic from Kakkinje till BeLthangdy and the 2 cars were coated with a fine red dust.
These two updates suggest that charmadi is no longer 'trouble free' route, just that it's the 'lesser evil' compared to hassan-sakleshpur-shiradi route. What is the statistical likelihood of getting stuck around noon timeframe on previous day (25th Jan thursday) of a long weekend ? If getting stuck (due to accident vide the narrowness and high traffic) is a real possibility, will bite the bullet and seek Hassan-Sakleshpur-shiradi-dharmasthala-ujire option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I also don't see any reason to seek alternatives to Nelamangala-Hassan.

KIAL to Nelamangala - my impression is that the STRR route via Dabaspete works better than the ORR route via Yeshwantpura.
All above Qs are based on this helping me converge on NH75 as the solution.

Last edited by venkyhere : 11th January 2024 at 19:07.
Old 11th January 2024, 20:57   #9749
BANNED

One more request for help :

How to bypass Hassan quickest and without underbody hits to a lowGC sedan ?
Kindly let me know the colour of choice indicated in the below pic - brown/purple/black (time = between 10am and 12noon)
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-hassan-bypassing.png  

venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 09:04   #9750
BHPian

Quote:
These two updates - does it mean GVkere/Belthangady to Karkala is better through mudibidri than through bajegoli ? (one of the 'hybrids' from the 1a to 1f options in my earlier post)
Moodabidre route takes one via narrow roads of Venur & Moodabidre towns. Similarly, Bajagoli route crosses the narrow roads in Naravi. But Bajagoli - Karkala outer - Padubidri - Udupi is an excellent wide road. So I say Bajagoli.

Quote:
One more request for help :

How to bypass Hassan quickest and without underbody hits to a lowGC sedan ?
Black has monstrous road humps before and after the rail track, avoid as you say low GC sedan. Any Hassan exit/bypass has numerous speed humps, avoiding them altogether is not an option. Brown has far too many of them at short intervals. I regularly use purple - while it traverses through the city traffic to a large extent, I find it better than brown. Plus point - purple has some good hotels enroute
Shubbi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks