Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2023, 19:21   #9616
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Very bad flooding in Charmadi... take note:
Noticed something unusual with the parapet walls or for that matter the waterfall itself that are unlike Charmadi and that shop with the blue plastic tarpaulin and recollected that a similar video surfaced couple of years before but from one of the ghats from Maharashtra, Amba Ghat to be precise.

This one is from Charmadi and there were reports of landslide today.

paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 19:35   #9617
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Noticed something unusual with the parapet walls or for that matter the waterfall itself that are unlike Charmadi
I did wonder why it looks unfamiliar, but I saw a TV channel emblem and thought it is a legit channel. Turns out URTV is just a youtube channel with 1.6K subscribers.

At least the flooding story is true, if not the actual video.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 19:43   #9618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did wonder why it looks unfamiliar, but I saw a TV channel emblem and thought it is a legit channel. Turns out URTV is just a Youtube channel with 1.6K subscribers.

Video you shared and few others are in circulation since 2 years now on WhatsApp, Insta, FB and what not. Every ghat with waterfalls is posted as "Charmadi" these days.

However, each of these ghats have a distinct characteristic through which it can be identified, especially after driving few of them. So it was kind of an easy one to realise. Moreover, such shops do not exist on Charmadi. Another closest contender to the one you shared is Varandha Ghat but here too most shops are on the hill side rather than the parapet side. On Charmadi, you mostly will find a Tata Ace or a 3 wheeler Diesel rickshaw selling Ice cream and Bondas (Coconut water) during the summer.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 20:20   #9619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did wonder why it looks unfamiliar, but I saw a TV channel emblem and thought it is a legit channel. Turns out URTV is just a Youtube channel with 1.6K subscribers.

Wanted to quote your earlier post but not able to find it. Guess you deleted it. Here is a picture of a neighbouring ghat from yesterday, coincidentally close to where the video was shot.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_8216.jpeg

You can actually call it the Charmadi ghat of MH, its somewhat similar in the rock formation except that charmadi has thicker grass bushes while this has a fantastic green lawn cover.

Last edited by audioholic : 24th July 2023 at 20:23.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 21:09   #9620
BHPian

Madikeri Mangaluru route via Sampaje ghat is also blocked due to landslide.

Travellers please take caution.

Quote:
Aranthodu: Traffic on Mani Mysuru NH275 has come to standstill after a hillock collapsed due heavy rainfall on Monday evening.
Landslide occured around 630pm near Kartoji near Madenadu.
Efforts are underway to clear the mud and other debris underway.
Due to the incident long queues of vehicle is seen, reaching till Gadikallu in Sampaje.

Source: https://www.udayavani.com/news-secti...highway-closed
News in English https://www.udayavani.com/english-ne...ighway-blocked

Last edited by DetectiveMiles : 24th July 2023 at 21:16.
Old 24th July 2023, 22:42   #9621
BHPian

Madikeri - Mangaluru route via Sampaje ghat is open for traffic..
https://www.prajavani.net/district/k...hicles-2406492
_chikku is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 11:39   #9622
BHPian

Hi Everyone;

Any updates on the Madikeri or Subramanya route towards Puttur. I am planning to travel tomorrow morning and this will help me plan my route accordingly.

Last edited by Hurrycane12 : 25th July 2023 at 11:42.
Old 27th July 2023, 12:27   #9623

Hi,

Planning for a weekend trip to Bangalore from Mangalore in a Hatchback. Looking at the heavy rain, which route is recommended, Shiradi, Charmadi or via Mysore?

Many thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 15:07   #9624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepax View Post
Hi,

Planning for a weekend trip to Bangalore from Mangalore in a Hatchback. Looking at the heavy rain, which route is recommended, Shiradi, Charmadi or via Mysore?

Many thanks
Travelled last Sunday via Shiradi, the road around Donigal has already started to give up and there were some big pot holes/craters. Aprat from it, everything was smooth till Gundya. Had travelled from Puttur to Mangaluru too, road from Mani junction to BC Road is not good due to ongoing construction, except a small strectch where concrete is done both ways.
DetectiveMiles is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 09:14   #9625
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I drove back to Udupi. At Hassan I looked at the sky and saw thick clouds, and decided to avoid Charmadi. I feel like a farmer looking up the sky for making sowing decisions.

The non-concrete parts of the Hassan-Sakleshpur section are getting bad due to incessant rains. What's with the heavy traffic in Sakleshpur town in the afternoon?

The Sakleshpur-Gundya section is fine. However, it is getting bad after that. The curiosity got better off me and I decided to drive straight instead of turning off towards Dharmastala. I wanted to avoid the thick traffic between Ujire and GV kere. I figured the Uppinangady-GV kere would be much lighter. And I was right, it was much better. However, the roads until Uppinangady was a nightmare thanks to unfinished roadworks.

Then I took one more risk at Karkala. Instead of going straight towards Belman, I turned right towards Manipal thinking it may be equally good. It wasn't, it was much much worse in terms of bad roads and worser traffic. I lost at least 15 minutes in this 50kms stretch between Karkala-Udupi. I had to deal with peak hour traffic of Manipal and Udupi too. Avoid going via this route if your destination is Udupi.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th July 2023 at 09:30.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 10:52   #9626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I drove back to Udupi.
Thanks for the update. I had logged in to ask for one since I'm driving to Manipal tomorrow, so you couldn't have timed this better. :-)

1. Point taken about skygazing at Hassan and deciding on the route.
2. Ujire-GV Kere is hardly 10 km; I presume the bad road via Uppinangady evens out the increased traffic via Belthangady? I which case I will go via the latter.
3. Are you saying that taking Karkala-Bailoor-Hiriyadka is suboptimal? Since I'm headed to Manipal I was actually planning to do that. Hiriyadka-Manipal is also about 10 km which I guess I can grin and bear.
Old 28th July 2023, 10:58   #9627
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
2. Ujire-GV Kere is hardly 10 km; I presume the bad road via Uppinangady evens out the increased traffic via Belthangady? I which case I will go via the latter.
Yes, stick with the Ujire route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
3. Are you saying that taking Karkala-Bailoor-Hiriyadka is suboptimal? Since I'm headed to Manipal I was actually planning to do that. Hiriyadka-Manipal is also about 10 km which I guess I can grin and bear.
Hiriyadka-Manipal is 7kms, but under the heavy rains the road has gone bad, and traffic was moving very slowly. Since you destination is Manipal this time, this is still faster for you. I should have avoided since I had to reach NH66 finally.
Old 3rd August 2023, 18:10   #9628

I am planning to travel to kundapura from Bangalore on 12th August. The usual route I take is Hiriyur > Tarikere > Tirthahalli > Agumbe > Kundapura. Google maps shows Hassan > Belur > Balehonnur > Agumbe > Kundapura. I have travelled on this route long ago, the roads were really narrow and not in good shape. Has anyone taken this route recently?
Old 6th August 2023, 09:53   #9629
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, stick with the Ujire route.
Hiriyadka-Manipal is 7kms, but under the heavy rains the road has gone bad, and traffic was moving very slowly. Since you destination is Manipal this time, this is still faster for you. I should have avoided since I had to reach NH66 finally.
I plan to drive Manipal-Bangalore-Manipal next weekend.
Taking the route Manipal > Hiryadaka > Karkala > Belthangady > Charmadi > Mudigere > Belur > Hassan > Bangalore and same route on return.
Would it be wise to do that or you recommend any alternate?
Old 6th August 2023, 10:09   #9630
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
I plan to drive Manipal-Bangalore-Manipal next weekend.
Weekend traffic can be bad on Charmady route. If your car can handle bad roads, take Shiradi route vi Dharmastala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks