Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2023, 21:05   #9511
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Bangalore to Belur roads are great, absolutely no issues travelling in the evening/late evening or even at night.

Post Belur, yes you'll encounter Charmadi ghat. Lot of hairpin bends. Passengers with motion sickness should definitely take domstal or vomikind, as the case was with my wife. Definitely avoid travelling in the dark in this route if not familiar.
Thanks a lot for the quick response.
Mostly would be starting from Hosur around 2pm.

GMaps shows around 5 hours to reach Belur, is that a safe estimate considering I don't drive too aggressively.

Also any good places for a short break enroute especially with decent washrooms for family.

Yes, wife has motion sickness, that's why wanted to avoid Night driving beyond Belur.
Old 9th March 2023, 21:14   #9512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post

Also any good places for a short break enroute especially with decent washrooms for family.
Empire restaurant after Belur cross and Growers cafe after Belur are my regular stops depending on the time of the day.
sidzz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 22:14   #9513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_aithal View Post
Need help! I will be in Udupi this month end and will be travelling to an interior village in my friend's vehicle or use public transport. Please let me know of a safe and secure place to park my vehicle for the entire day. Preferably near railway station (but safety of the vehicle more important). I am happy with paid parking too.
You can park at the open car park for the temple at Udupi. Paid parking. You can also park inside hotel woodlands if space is available inside. Better option is to park inside Canara mall, but that’s at Manipal.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 04:24   #9514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Empire restaurant after Belur cross and Growers cafe after Belur are my regular stops depending on the time of the day.
Thanks,
Any good ones between Bangalore and Belur for a short coffee break.
Also, can the distance between Nice road and Belur be covered in around 4 - 4.5 hours during afternoon
Old 10th March 2023, 09:27   #9515
BHPian

Quote:
Any good ones between Bangalore and Belur for a short coffee break.
There are plenty. Swati Delicacy, Pakashala, A2B, multiple 'Coffee day' and the 'look-a-like' s, etc.

Quote:
Also, can the distance between Nice road and Belur be covered in around 4 - 4.5 hours during afternoon
4.5 hrs is comfortably doable.
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 10:41   #9516
BHPian

HI All,
I will be reaching Mangalore Airport around 6:15pm and need to go to Sringeri via Taxi.

1) Wanted to check the road conditions and if driving in night is Ok? As per google maps it takes approx 2.5 hours and will be reaching Sringeri before 10pm

2) Is it recommended to start around 7pm or do a night halt in Mangalore and start early in the morning towards Sringeri?

3) Any recommended Travels in Mangalore for 2 day trip to sringeri. Kindly suggest.
Old 13th March 2023, 10:45   #9517
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I am planning a weekend trip to Taj Bekal from Bangalore this week. Intend to stay at Mysore 1st night from Bangalore and go to Bekal via coorg as per gmap recommendations. Any idea about the road conditions and anything to watch out? Since this is first time towards this side I don't mind returning via Hassan side if that road is better or more scenic? Inputs appreciated. thanks

Last edited by supertinu : 13th March 2023 at 10:46.
Old 13th March 2023, 11:35   #9518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Any recommended Travels in Mangalore for 2 day trip to sringeri. Kindly suggest.
If you stay in Mangalore, plan to visit Kadri Manjunatha swamy, Kudupu Anantha padmanabha swamy and Mangaladevi temples in the evening. It is possible to visit the Kateelu Durgaparameshwari temple en route to Sringeri.

Last edited by deehunk : 13th March 2023 at 11:36.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 16:21   #9519
BHPian

Good evening all!

Planning a drive to Mlr with elderly passengers. Are the diversions on the highway between Blr and Hassan worse than what they were a year ago, or have we maintained the same quality of experience? :-P

Charmadi seems to be the route of choice. Any opinion on the Blr-Mys-Madikeri-Sullia-Mlr route? Is this a worthwhile proposition after the new Blr Mys highway has been opened?

Thanks and reg,
Sid
naga.sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 16:52   #9520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga.sid View Post
Good evening all!

Planning a drive to Mlr with elderly passengers. Are the diversions on the highway between Blr and Hassan worse than what they were a year ago, or have we maintained the same quality of experience? :-P
The diversions between Bengaluru(Nelamangala) and Hasana are better now as some flyover work is complete and are open. There are some ongoing contruction of flyover as well, but with service roads. Channarayapattana strech is also better now.
DetectiveMiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 14:43   #9521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga.sid View Post
Good evening all!

Any opinion on the Blr-Mys-Madikeri-Sullia-Mlr route? Is this a worthwhile proposition after the new Blr Mys highway has been opened?

Thanks and reg,
Sid
I used the Mysore-madikeri-sullia last month and the overall road condition is very good. In fact with the new Mysore highway, the difference between Shiradi route and this route is only about 20 mins.

So, if you want to avoid the hairpin bends on Charmadi and can live with the extra 20-30 mins, Madikeri route is also an option.

Note: Please factor in the heavy mysore-bangalore traffic on weekends.

Regards
Rahulb22
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 08:00   #9522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
I used the Mysore-madikeri-sullia last month and the overall road condition is very good. In fact with the new Mysore highway, the difference between Shiradi route and this route is only about 20 mins.

So, if you want to avoid the hairpin bends on Charmadi and can live with the extra 20-30 mins, Madikeri route is also an option.

Note: Please factor in the heavy mysore-bangalore traffic on weekends.

Regards
Rahulb22
How is the ghats section in this route compared to Charmadi ghats.
How long does it take from Mysore to Mangalore.

I believe we still need to cross the ghats as per one of the replies in this thread I saw earlier.

Any good places to halt near Mysore for the night, decent and affordable ones. Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 08:44   #9523
BHPian

Quote:
How is the ghats section in this route compared to Charmadi ghats.
How long does it take from Mysore to Mangalore.

I believe we still need to cross the ghats as per one of the replies in this thread I saw earlier.

Any good places to halt near Mysore for the night, decent and affordable ones. Thanks
Mysore to Mangalore should take about 6 to 6.5 hours depending on the traffic you encounter on Mysore Ring Road.
There is a ghat section from Madikeri to Sampaje (about 25 kms) but it is not a very steep descent and should not be a concern if you take it slow.
There are quite a lot of options around Mysore for stay. I suggest you check out on TripAdvisor and pick something based on your budget.
Folks from Mysore on this thread can comment better.
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 09:10   #9524
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I travelled from Bangalore to Udupi via Shiradi. I am travelling after 7 weeks, so I was surprised to see many changes.

1) Most flyovers are complete between Bangalore-Hassan.
2) The 4-laning between Hassan and Sakleshpur is 80% done.
3) The broken road between Sakleshpur and Maranahalli is patched up. In fact, half of it is totally new tarmac, rest is patched.
4) Shiradi ghat itself is fine. The traffic was very low too.

But the real nightmare begins after Gundya, thanks to 4-laning work. About 80% of the route between Gundya and Uppinangadi is under construction. I turned towards GV Kere at Uppinangadi, to escape the nightmare. The road between GV Kere and Aladangady is newly laid out and it is really wide.

PS: Thanks to GV, I didn't really get affected by the road conditions. But sedans/hatches were suffering.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 09:22   #9525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But the real nightmare begins after Gundya, thanks to 4-laning work. About 80% of the route between Gundya and Uppinangadi is under construction. I turned towards GV Kere at Uppinangadi, to escape the nightmare. The road between GV Kere and Aladangady is newly laid out and it is really wide.
Another option coming along nicely is the 4-laning of Tumkur-Honnavar. Once complete thats another option (Bhadra-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Hebri-Manipal).

But then yes driving till Tumkur is a pain.

Last edited by ampere : 21st March 2023 at 08:24.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks