Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2022, 22:44   #9406
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

The trouble with Sampaje is the abrupt turns, unlike smooth turns of Shiradi/Charmadi. I get tired lot faster driving in Sampaje. I avoid it unless need to go to Madikeri from the coast.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 16:58   #9407
BHPian

I drove this section last week, with my Brio Automatic; Pretty impressed with the way it handled;

Onwards : Hassan to Sakleshpur is patchy and a few bad sections; Construction activity mostly that continues through Shiradi; Shiradi is very good for most sections.
Return : through Charmadi : wonderful drive all along;

Road works could take 6+ months and it will a super drive once complete;
Neel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 20:29   #9408

Hey Everyone, travelled to Dharmasthala via Charmady Ghat yesterday. The roads are top notch and one can drive easily. Heard from a few TT driver's that the condition of the before and after Shiradi is bad and should be avoided if possible.
Old 31st October 2022, 11:12   #9409

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneani View Post
Thanks for the kind reply. I don't mind a longer route as long as it is less stressful. One last question though if you don't mind. Does the route have decent pit stops for food and bio-breaks?
You get good highway restaurants up to Madikeri, and after that, you may have to stop at Sullia or Puttur for a food/bio break.
Ranyguru2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 23:43   #9410
BHPian

I am planning to go to Manipal in October, and I need to start from Narasapura, old madras highway.

Google maps is showing me the Mumbai highway till Hiriyur, then Hosadurga, Tarikere, and finally Agumbe ghats as the preferred route. Alternative is Nelamangala, Hassan, Mudigere, Charmadi ghats, Karkala and finally Manipal.

I traveled by both Agumbe and Charmadi ghats and found Charmadi to be better. I will start at 1pm from my location. Which option is better overall, considering I'll be travelling alone and my car is a Ciaz.
Old 1st November 2022, 00:12   #9411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor.march View Post
I am planning to go to Manipal in October, .

Google maps is showing me the Mumbai highway till Hiriyur,

I traveled by both Agumbe and Charmadi ghats and found Charmadi to be better..
I presume you meant November.

I took the Hiriyur route on the Saturday of the holiday weekend. You need a lot of patience on this route as the traffic was maddening until a little after Tumkur plus the highway needs to be relaid. and then it's a two lane road after you take the turn off at Hiriyur. But there is no heavy traffic on this route and is peaceful if you drive sedately at 80kmph. I felt It's faster as well. Easily doable in a sedan.

Took the Charmady route while returning the very next day. Again, since it was a festive weekend the traffic was high until Dharmasthala turn off. The roads are broken at quite a few places at the base of the ghat. Once you climb the ghat the roads are smooth till Belur. Again, the famous Belur Hassan highway has taken some beating and you will have to be careful. From Hassan it's smooth sailing.
anilupadhya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 17:34   #9412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by san0312 View Post
Hey Everyone, travelled to Dharmasthala via Charmady Ghat yesterday. The roads are top notch and one can drive easily. Heard from a few TT driver's that the condition of the before and after Shiradi is bad and should be avoided if possible.
I agree. Please avoid Shiradi. I travelled this route on Sunday and it was pathetic.
pat2kin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 07:59   #9413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
I presume you meant November.

I took the Hiriyur route on the Saturday of the holiday weekend.

Took the Charmady route while returning the very next day.
Sorry, it is November.

By Hiriyur route, is it the same one that Google maps is suggesting? Hosadurga, tarikere and agumbe ghat? If i start at 12.30pm from my place, i might only reach agumbe at around 8 pm. Will it be safe to travel? I remember agumbe being very narrow. Thanks for your suggestion, i am now thinking of taking Charmadi while going to Manipal and returning via agumbe.
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:54   #9414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor.march View Post
Sorry, it is November.

If i start at 12.30pm from my place, i might only reach agumbe at around 8 pm. Will it be safe to travel? I am now thinking of taking Charmadi while going to Manipal and returning via agumbe.
It is much safer to take Charmadi ghat for driving to Manipal if you are ok with that extra distance.

Last edited by deehunk : 2nd November 2022 at 11:57.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 10:45   #9415
BHPian

Hi guys,
I am planning to go to Kukke sometime this month. Which is the best route? I usually go through Shiradi but looks like the road condition is pretty bad. I had done Kukke once via bisle ghat. Is this still in decent shape?
Old 8th November 2022, 12:32   #9416
BHPian

I am also planning to travel tomorrow from Bangalore-Udupi tomorrow. Google Maps is suggesting via Neelamangala->Belur and avoid Shiradi which I heard from too many people is a washout.

So will know tomorrow. The other route through Agumbe seems slightly longer but want to avoid it as I am driving alone.
Old 8th November 2022, 12:55   #9417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Hi guys,
I am planning to go to Kukke sometime this month. Which is the best route?
The best option to Kukke Subramanya is still Bisile ghat, either via Mysore-Madikeri or CR Patna-Holenarsipura.

Last edited by deehunk : 8th November 2022 at 12:58.
Old 8th November 2022, 13:53   #9418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Hi guys,
I am planning to go to Kukke sometime this month. Which is the best route? I usually go through Shiradi but looks like the road condition is pretty bad. I had done Kukke once via bisle ghat. Is this still in decent shape?
Two options in the order of preference

1. Bangalore-Nelamangala-Channarayapattana-H. Narasipura-Arakalagudu-Shanivarasanthe-Bisle-Kukke (shorter by ~20kms, when compared to option2)
2. Bangalore-Nelamangala-Hassan-Gorur-Arakalagudu- Shanivarasanthe-Bisle-Kukke (Longer by 20kms, but takes same time as option 1, so average speed is better)
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 21:21   #9419
BHPian

Had a gruelling but nice ride from Blr-Udupi and back in two days. Took around 7.5hrs each way via Charmady ghats road. Road was mostly good although the ghats were more stressful than Shiradi ghats.
Pseud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 08:16   #9420

Hi @Pseud --- Pls elaborate on "Road was mostly good although the ghats were more stressful than Shiradi ghats" --- Is the road smooth and breaking up ? And did you mean more stressful due to steeper curves or heavy traffic ?

I am planning a drive in the coming weeks, hence the query.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks