Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2019, 08:30   #8011
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Returned from a short trip to Mangalore and back from Saturday afternoon to Sunday evening. Took Shiradi ghat for onward and Charmadi for return. Here is the comparison between the two although given the present state, Shiradi is the best choice to reach Mangalore. Traffic was thin as we started from Bangalore only at 1500 on Saturday. Return via Charmadi was extremely satisfying for those who really know the fun of driving on this ghat. Traffic too was negligible, thanks to the good conditions of Shiradi.

Shiradi Ghat:
  • Shiradi should now be default choice if there are concerns regarding bad roads
  • Hassan - Sakleshpur WIP has not really created any avoidable potholes and except that the patchwork at various places can be irritating
  • The concrete section (26 kms) including the first 13 Km stretch from Donigal has held up well and the road markings in yellow, reflectors and concrete barriers - Job well done indeed!
  • Gundya - BC Road has work in progress with lot of sections where culverts/drains are redone and one needs to careful if driving in dark
Charmadi Ghat:
  • Overall, the good part of this road on Charmadi Ghat is only till you are in Dakshina Kannada District
  • Patchwork is neatly executed wherever the roads were bad, including all the Hairpin curves
  • Post entering Chikkamagluru District, road conditions deteriorate and there are lot of sections with deep potholes (will upload video later)
  • Between Kottigehara and Mudigere, lot of sections where there is culvert redesign work in progress with only one lane to manage.
  • Mudigere - Belur is perfectly fine and there is no single sign of any work carried out on the entire 35 km stretch
One for the charm of Charmadi:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-charmadifeb2019.jpg

If you are headed to Mangalore, Shiradi it is. If you are heading to Kalasa - Horanadu, have no apprehensions about road conditions between Belur and Mudigere. It is all good and there is no cabling work here on this stretch.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 20:07   #8012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

If you are headed to Mangalore, Shiradi it is. If you are heading to Kalasa - Horanadu, have no apprehensions about road conditions between Belur and Mudigere. It is all good and there is no cabling work here on this stretch.
Thanks for the detailed update. For folks travelling towards Kalasa, Horanadu, construction work on Mudigere to Kottigehara stretch can be a blocker for leisure drive.
Chikmagalur > Balehonnur > Balehole > Kalasa is in fairly good condition and should be tried indeed.

Hoping for the Charmadi ghat road to return to its old charm very soon. Guess it may not happen until this monsoon is over though.
ThilakNex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 20:57   #8013
Senior - BHPian

Two minor updates specific to Hassan.
  1. BM road is dug up for expansion from NR circle to Thanniruhalla. So, its better to stick to the Bypass for a few days.
  2. Had an opportunity to stay at Palguni Residency on Race Course road. A clean, decent, family friendly hotel with basement parking and attached veg restaurant. Appropriately priced too. I can wholeheartedly recommend this (no affiliations whatsoever). I was told that though online booking sites indicate otherwise, there are always some rooms available and hence walk-in customers are welcome.
dailydriver is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 09:29   #8014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
[*]BM road is dug up for expansion from NR circle to Thanniruhalla. So, its better to stick to the Bypass for a few days.
This has been the case since more than a month. When I drove to Chikmagalur in December during the X-mas week, It was still chaos. But thankfully, very rarely these days anyone enters the city because even Google suggests taking the Hulvagilu road and hit Thanneruhalla despite of the 300 meters patch of this 600 meters road is really in bad state since many months now.

Also, the Gorur road exit from Hassan Bypass till Santhepete Circle (Intersecting BM road) is now fully done. It was in shambles since more than 2-3 years without any signs of hope but thankfully it is all good. I took this option to reach Hotel Raama for lunch when driving back from Shettihalli and towards Belur.
Quote:
[*]Had an opportunity to stay at Palguni Residency on Race Course road. A clean, decent, family friendly hotel with basement parking and attached veg restaurant. Appropriately priced too. I can wholeheartedly recommend this (no affiliations whatsoever). I was told that though online booking sites indicate otherwise, there are always some rooms available and hence walk-in customers are welcome.[/list]
I had first stayed here in 2016, while few of us attended a wedding and this hotel was brand new. It didn't even have a functional restaurant (today it has) and we loved this place. Clean and affordable. Thankfully the case is same even today as I recommend this to many folks even if the hotel is little inside the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
4. Palguni Residency

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th February 2019 at 09:30.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 21:06   #8015
BHPian

Hey guys, I've gone through most of the Mangalore-bangalore forums to come to a conclusive option but I'm finding it hard myself.
I should basically reach Manipal University, Manipal from Bangalore.
Can someone who has experience please guide me through, which route is recommended?
I've been only once to manipal, back in 2012 when the route was Horrendous.
I now drive a current gen Verna alone and prefer scenic routes.
On a side note, I know nothing in these areas, as I'm from Hyderabad. So I'm completely A-B-X google maps dependant.

I apologise and thank at the same time.
Old 8th February 2019, 08:28   #8016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagateja View Post
I should basically reach Manipal University, Manipal from Bangalore.
Can someone who has experience please guide me through, which route is recommended?
Straightforward route - Via Sakleshpur - BC Road - Mangalore - Udupi. No frills, good roads throughout with work in progress sections before and after the ghats but still not really bad.

Quote:
I now drive a current gen Verna alone and prefer scenic routes.
On a side note, I know nothing in these areas, as I'm from Hyderabad. So I'm completely A-B-X google maps dependant.
And this invariably makes me recommend Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Balur - Kalasa - Samse - Kuduremukha - Bajagoli - Karkala - Hiriadka- Manipal route. This will take you through some really scenic sections of the western ghats.

Negatives about this route - Narrower than the Shiradi option and the progress you make on continuous twist and turns will make you feel that you are really slow. Facilities wise, since you are driving Solo, roadside petty hotels and restaurants should come to rescue.

Another scenic option - Via Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-manipal.jpg

Hence, if your aim is to reach Manipal the fastest way, take Shiradi. If you really want to enjoy twists and turns (not so fast ones), with some amazing views, take either Kuduremukha or Agumbe option.

Road conditions on the other routes suggested - Favorable and not bad.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th February 2019 at 08:32.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 10:39   #8017
BHPian

This is extremely helpful. I guess I'll take the second option this time and the third one in my return.
One last query, So if I choose the Second option, what is the best time to start from Bangalore? I was thinking to start around 4AM.

Last edited by nagateja : 8th February 2019 at 10:48.
Old 8th February 2019, 11:06   #8018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One last query, So if I choose the Second option, what is the best time to start from Bangalore? I was thinking to start around 4AM.
0400 is not a bad time to start at all. Traffic on this route will be thin (is not very high even otherwise except weekends).

Options for you to stop for breakfast would not have opened till it is at least 0700AM at most of the places between Bangalore and Hassan. Hence, Fresh Bean Cafe, Banakal can become the de-facto choice for breakfast and some very good filter coffee! This would be around 4 hours from Bangalore if you leave at 0400 and don't stop anywhere before.

If you choose to leave at 0500 or later, you have loads of choices to stop on this route till Hassan.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 15:29   #8019
BHPian

Quote:
This is extremely helpful. I guess I'll take the second option this time and the third one in my return.
Hey, I did this route just last weekend. Extremely scenic, and in a lot of parts quite fun to drive!
Started at 5:30, which meant I was near Hassan at 8. Lot of options on the Mangalore highway before Hassan for a breakfast stop.
Progress is slow after Hassan as road is single lane, but road quality is very good with few patchy sections.
Patchy sections :
1.Mudigere - kottigehara : around 20-25kms. Road work in progress.
2. Kalasa - Kudremukh town : Patchy road with shallow potholes.
3. Karkala - Hiriadka : some 5-10km patch on this road is under repair.

Also, be careful in navigating Karkala, as I got lost in the town during both onward and return journeys. There are multiple roads that lead to Udupi, so make sure you take the Hiriadka route.
Rohan24 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 16:14   #8020
BHPian

Quote:
I was there just last week.
Took option C (Shimoga-Agumbe) for onward journey and option A for return.
As far as roads are concerned, no issues, whatsoever.
My preference is Option A. It's fast compared to other 2, but also scenic (Sakaleshapura - Shiradi Ghat stretch).
With summer fast approaching, option-B is least favorite among these 3 (for me at least). This route is very scenic (green everywhere) up to Nov-December. Now, I am not too sure.
Old 8th February 2019, 19:50   #8021
BHPian

Hi,

Planning to be in Mangalore the first week of March. Looking for a decent hotel (not too costly) with veg restaurant to stay for a day with family and in laws. Any recos will be appreciated.
Old 8th February 2019, 22:51   #8022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureshS View Post
Hi,

Planning to be in Mangalore the first week of March. Looking for a decent hotel (not too costly) with veg restaurant to stay for a day with family and in laws. Any recos will be appreciated.
Woodlands Hotel in the heart of the city. It's old but still decent and has ample, safe parking. The old school veg restaurant is also famous, especially for it's Goli Baje.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 23:37   #8023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Woodlands Hotel in the heart of the city. It's old but still decent and has ample, safe parking. The old school veg restaurant is also famous, especially for it's Goli Baje.
Thanks. Looks good for my needs
SureshS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 00:51   #8024
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Mangalore on last Sat (02 - Feb). Started from home near HSR layout in Bangalore by 04:51 AM, traffic was thin and was able to reach hotel Ossoor at 07.48 AM.

Took a one hour break for breakfast since was traveling in a group and started towards Mangalore at 08.40 AM. There was slight delay at Sakleshpur bridge due to a bus breakdown. Also, around here there is road widening ongoing, however road conditions is good throughout.

This was my first trip through Shiradi past concreting of surface and should say the condition is superb. Crossed BP COCO at 10:40 AM and Netravati bridge at 11:00 AM.

Our destination was Kundapura and there was no plan of getting in to Mangalore town, however an impromptu plan of stopping at Pabbas came up.

Reached Pabbas at 11:30 AM. Overall, good roads through out apart from usual caution one need to take when driving through work in progress section.
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 08:32   #8025
BHPian

One more query about stay. Planning to stay for a day in Kollur. FIL wants to see the night time aarti at the temple. Which is a decent place to stay at Kollur? Can we get rooms from the temple? Or better to stay at a hotel?

Most Viewed