Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2019, 13:42   #8101
BHPian
 
ankan.m.blr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 738
Thanked: 776 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
And post Banakal, on your return, there are construction of culverts at multiple locations on the Mudigere road that will slow down a bit. Your Freestyle should not have any issues as such with these roads. Enjoy your trip and do give a feedback here.
I'll be driving to Kudremukha via Mudigere & Banakal a week later. Is the road doable in a fully loaded hatch (as you mentioned culvert construction at multiple places)? I am worried about scraping the underbody
ankan.m.blr is offline  
Old 19th June 2019, 13:58   #8102
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,578
Thanked: 22,094 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I'll be driving to Kudremukha via Mudigere & Banakal a week later. Is the road doable in a fully loaded hatch (as you mentioned culvert construction at multiple places)? I am worried about scraping the underbody
Manageable. These culverts are not huge craters. The diversions around here are miniscule in terms of length.

Only if it regularly rains heavy vehicles will dig deeper as they pass rendering this section little iffy but not impossible or bad for low slung cars.

The distance that we are talking about where these culverts are expanded is less than 11 kms in which there should not be more than 6 to 8 such culverts.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 14:00   #8103
BHPian
 
ankan.m.blr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 738
Thanked: 776 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Manageable. These culverts are not huge craters. The diversions around here are miniscule in terms of length.

Only if it regularly rains heavy vehicles will dig deeper as they pass rendering this section little iffy but not impossible or bad for low slung cars.

The distance that we are talking about where these culverts are expanded is less than 11 kms in which there should not be more than 6 to 8 such culverts.
Thank you Parag Sir. Is there any alternate route to bypass this stretch?
ankan.m.blr is offline  
Old 19th June 2019, 14:08   #8104
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,578
Thanked: 22,094 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Thank you Parag Sir. Is there any alternate route to bypass this stretch?
Not really because Kottigehara is the major junction that will take you to Kuduremukha. But honestly, I don't see a reason to avoid this due to that small work which is going on.

If you want to visit Kuduremukha directly then you can certainly do via Shiradi Gundya Dharmasthala Ujire Belthangady Naravi Bajagoli SK Border.

But I will again reiterate that the roads around culverts are not that bad so you need to take an alternate route.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 15:04   #8105
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 523
Thanked: 1,589 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I'll be driving to Kudremukha via Mudigere & Banakal a week later. Is the road doable in a fully loaded hatch (as you mentioned culvert construction at multiple places)? I am worried about scraping the underbody
I did Mudigere-Banakal-Kottigehara stretch in April (it was my first time on these roads as well) on my way to Horanadu.
Parag's description is accurate. There are no more than 6-8 culverts under repair/construction. They are not dangerous or deep. You can do it easily in any fully loaded car. Just slow down in time to 2nd/1st gear.
Have a safe trip.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 19:33   #8106
BHPian
 
ThilakNex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 88
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Thank you Parag Sir. Is there any alternate route to bypass this stretch?
There are alternatives if you really want to avoid this stretch. We did below stretch last time (2 months back) just to explore a new route to reach home.

Beluru > Chikmagaluru > Alduru > Balehonnuru > Magundi > Balehole > Kalasa

Road condition is good on this one but please be aware, this will increase the distance by around 20 km. As Parag mentioned those minor bridge constructions on Banakal stretch should not stop you from taking the route.

If you have some extra time and fuel to spend on a less crowded leisurely drive, go with the route I mentioned above.
ThilakNex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 14:06   #8107
BHPian
 
ankan.m.blr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 738
Thanked: 776 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Team BHPians, I need a suggestion for my upcoming trip to Kudremukh this coming weekend. I have finalized the route to Kudremukh from Bangalore following guidance from esteemed Team BHPians. From a separate source, I have come to know that pretty much all tourist activities like trekking, visiting waterfalls, etc. are closed by district administration now. Also, weather prediction is heavy rain, which is a problem for sightseeing and outdoor activities. I have the whole of Saturday to spend. Is it prudent to visit Kaup beach from Kudremukh? (G-maps says it is a 2-hour drive from Bhagawathi Nature camp where I am staying). What is the best route to Kaup beach in terms of road condition (through Bajegoli - Belman - Padubidri - Kaup / through Bajegoli - Belman - Shirva - Kaup OR through some other route)? If visiting Kaup, is it good to pay a visit to Mattu beach viewpoint too?

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 25th June 2019 at 14:07.
ankan.m.blr is offline  
Old 25th June 2019, 14:30   #8108
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,578
Thanked: 22,094 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
What is the best route to Kaup beach in terms of road condition (through Bajegoli - Belman - Padubidri - Kaup / through Bajegoli - Belman - Shirva - Kaup OR through some other route)? If visiting Kaup, is it good to pay a visit to Mattu beach viewpoint too?
Some details on road conditions around the your query:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Udupi - Katpady - Belman - Karkala:
  • Excellent single carriageway end to end
  • Very small sections nearing Belman is undone (widened like the rest) but road itself remains very good
  • Watch out for regular barricades and rumblers as you pass each village or small town
Karkala - Bajagoli - Naravi - Guruvayanakere:
  • Mix of 95% good and 5% OK stretch of the entire ~60 kms section
  • Undone road while you negotiate that narrow section at Naravi for 100 meters
  • Karkala till Bajagoli is neatly marked
For Kaup, you can directly take Bajagoli - Karkala - Nitte - Shirva option only. Kuduremukha - SK Border - Bajagoli - Karkala usually remains good. Karkala to Nitte is even better.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th June 2019 at 14:32.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 13:07   #8109
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,162
Thanked: 219 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

How is the road condition between BC road till Sakleshpura?
lohithrao is offline  
Old 10th July 2019, 13:17   #8110
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,162
Thanked: 219 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Karkala till Padubidre is a nice road but be prepared for lots of speed breakers, you will certainly need more then 2hours from Kudremukha to reach kaupu considering the present conditions.

You can visit Mattu if the weather is favorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Team BHPians, I need a suggestion for my upcoming trip to Kudremukh this coming weekend. I have finalized the route to Kudremukh from Bangalore following guidance from esteemed Team BHPians. From a separate source, I have come to know that pretty much all tourist activities like trekking, visiting waterfalls, etc. are closed by district administration now. Also, weather prediction is heavy rain, which is a problem for sightseeing and outdoor activities. I have the whole of Saturday to spend. Is it prudent to visit Kaup beach from Kudremukh? (G-maps says it is a 2-hour drive from Bhagawathi Nature camp where I am staying). What is the best route to Kaup beach in terms of road condition (through Bajegoli - Belman - Padubidri - Kaup / through Bajegoli - Belman - Shirva - Kaup OR through some other route)? If visiting Kaup, is it good to pay a visit to Mattu beach viewpoint too?
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 13:03   #8111
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru/NYC
Posts: 651
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
How is the road condition between BC road till Sakleshpura?
It is rough and lots of diversions between BC Road and Gundya. Shiradi is good BUT once after 'Maranahally' again road quality deteriorates until Hassan as road expansion work is happening.
JMaruru is online now  
Old 11th July 2019, 20:02   #8112
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 32
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Dear All, me and my colleagues are planning to drive down to Mangalore in last week of July. This is the first time we are going there and it would be a night drive. I have female passengers so would like to know what are suitable pit stops enroute. We plan to start from Bangalore at around 10:30 PM on a Thursday night. Please helo.!
BIL2_HGi10 is offline  
Old 13th July 2019, 22:19   #8113
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
Dear All, me and my colleagues are planning to drive down to Mangalore in last week of July. This is the first time we are going there and it would be a night drive. I have female passengers so would like to know what are suitable pit stops enroute. We plan to start from Bangalore at around 10:30 PM on a Thursday night. Please helo.!
If you leave from Bangalore at 10:30pm, have dinner after toll ( Nelmangala/tumkur road). Drive towards Hassan. There are tons of fuel pumps and small road side stalls for food. I had driven on this stretch in oct 2018 at 4am. The stalls are located near every tollbooth. About 3-4 tollbooths till you reach Hassan.

From Hassan drive towards Sakleshpur. Here, I doubt if any restaurants may be open. Probably the ones on the outskirts.

Post this, you will enter the ghat section. There are almost 0 food stalls/places to eat. When you get close to manipal ( about 45mins away) you may find a few shops. Not sure it they stay open throughout the night.

Once inside Manipal, there are a lot of places to order food from. Even at 5am. ( wouldn't trust the quality).

Once you reach udupi, you will find tea stalls etc and food stalls on the Udupi Mangalore highway.

Regarding saftey, there isn't much traffic during 2am to 6am. No naxal activity or robbery type of danger. But be careful of rain and fog in the ghat section during this time.

I too will be traveling to Manipal in Mid August. I shall wait for your review about the road/ and damage done by the rains etc
Shashwat B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2019, 01:14   #8114
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 513
Thanked: 286 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Hi All, Next week we are planning to visit Byndoor. What would be the best route. Good Roads and less traffic is preferred, compare to distance. Planning to start at 5AM from Bangalore(West)
manjubp is offline  
Old 14th July 2019, 17:41   #8115
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,044
Thanked: 2,444 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Hi All, Next week we are planning to visit Byndoor. What would be the best route. Good Roads and less traffic is preferred, compare to distance. Planning to start at 5AM from Bangalore(West)

Bengaluru - Nelamangala - Tumakuru - Sira - Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampura - Tarikere.
From here you can take
Option 1. Lakavalli - Umblibylu - Mandagadde - Thirthahalli - Kaimara - Mastikatte - Siddapura - Neralakatte - Hemmadi - Trasi - Byndoor
or Option 2
Shivamogga - Ripponpete - Nagara - Nittur - Kollur - Yedthare - Byndoor.


Both are very scenic routes with traffic between Tarikere and Lakavalli turn off/ Shivamogga. All other roads are good to excellent with a stretch of 5 km on option 1 being a bit narrow which is easily manageable.


You can visit Vani Vilasa Sagar and Bhadra dam (viewing restricted to the base only) on the way. Either way with a leisurely driving, you can reach the destination by 1600 hrs.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks