Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2018, 14:24   #7981
BHPian

Re: Kumta Railway Station to Gokarna?

For lack of appropriate thread posting it here. If there is a thread, request mods to move this post, there.

I am looking for a ride from Kumta Railway Station to Gokarna at around 1 AM in the morning.

What would be the options at these early hours of the morning? Are there any private bus/taxis available at this hour?

Please advise!

Last edited by JMaruru : 18th December 2018 at 14:36.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 17:07   #7982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
For lack of appropriate thread posting it here. If there is a thread, request mods to move this post, there.

I am looking for a ride from Kumta Railway Station to Gokarna at around 1 AM in the morning.

What would be the options at these early hours of the morning? Are there any private bus/taxis available at this hour?

Please advise!
There are plenty of KSRTC night buses (Karnataka Sarige)that originate from Mangaluru, Udupi, Kundapura ,Kukke, Dharmasthala for destinations like Belgaum, Hubli, Karwar and Goa. Most of them start around 1900 - 2000 hours and that means they should ideally pass Kumta between 0000 and 0100 hours.

Few of these services also pass through Kumta and Gokarna before forking out at Ankola for Hubli. Hence, I am sure if you check with someone at Kumta, you will get an idea on the frequency of buses.

That said, since Kumta and Gokarna fall on an important route (Mangalore - Goa), and this is common for most buses heading from Mangalore to Pune/Mumbai, you will for sure get a ride in any of the regular service buses from KSRTC as well as Private operators.

Or else, the distance is mere 30 kms and you can always hire a taxi.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th December 2018 at 17:09.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 18:10   #7983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There are plenty of KSRTC night buses (Karnataka Sarige)that originate from Mangaluru, Udupi, Kundapura ,Kukke, Dharmasthala for destinations like Belgaum, Hubli, Karwar and Goa. Most of them start around 1900 - 2000 hours and that means they should ideally pass Kumta between 0000 and 0100 hours.

Few of these services also pass through Kumta and Gokarna before forking out at Ankola for Hubli. Hence, I am sure if you check with someone at Kumta, you will get an idea on the frequency of buses.
Is the Kumta Railway Station closer to Bus Stand? Usually, these railway stations are little away from the town. So am concerned at around 1AM, whether I can get a safe ride to Gokarna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Or else, the distance is mere 30 kms and you can always hire a taxi.
These would be a nicer option, if it is available at early hours of morning.
Old 19th December 2018, 18:53   #7984
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
...Is the Hassan route safe for a couple to drive at night?

Any help on the best route to reach Udupi as early in the morning as possible would really help.
Anyone please? I plan to depart this Friday night.
Old 19th December 2018, 19:00   #7985
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone please? I plan to depart this Friday night.
Couple of months back, us two families with a kid each went in my car to Beejadi, we took Hassan - Charmadi ghat then and the drive through night was not a problem for us.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 19:48   #7986
BHPian

Thank you HakunaMatata!

Road conditions of the ghat does not sound promising, shall research more. Though a little bad roads is preferred with a positive night drive feedback as compared to the better Shiradi ghat road without anyone's comments.
Old 19th December 2018, 20:01   #7987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you HakunaMatata!

Road conditions of the ghat does not sound promising, shall research more. Though a little bad roads is preferred with a positive night drive feedback as compared to the better Shiradi ghat road without anyone's comments.
Route should be safe as such however you can expect plenty of rash buses on the road. Road is under construction from Hassan all the way till sakleshpur and this is where you might encounter incoming buses Midway. Depends on your comfort level with night driving

For breaks, I can suggest kamat, a2b etc which are mostly crowded all times. Not much options after sakleshpur for next couple of hours

If you plan to check into some hotel in udupi by noon, you can as well start early morning around 5 and reach udupi by lunch.

I am planning to drive via shiradi till udupi on 21st morning 5am and I mostly reach by 1pm

Last edited by rajshenoy : 19th December 2018 at 20:03.
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 20:02   #7988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...a little bad roads is preferred with a positive night drive feedback as compared to the better Shiradi ghat road without anyone's comments.
Shiradi and Charmadi both will not be a problem as such for night drives. My personal choice would be the latter, for the frequency of villages enroute that might come in handy in case of emergency. Shiradi isn't bad per se; a lot of traffic passes through the route in night time. But somehow, it doesn't evoke the same kind of confidence that Charmadi does, again, in case of emergency, in the dark.

How early in the morning do you need to be in Udupi? Wouldn't a 3AM start from Bengaluru be sufficient?
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 10:18   #7989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Shiradi and Charmadi both will not be a problem as such for night drives. My personal choice would be the latter, for the frequency of villages enroute that might come in handy in case of emergency. Shiradi isn't bad per se; a lot of traffic passes through the route in night time. But somehow, it doesn't evoke the same kind of confidence that Charmadi does, again, in case of emergency, in the dark.

How early in the morning do you need to be in Udupi? Wouldn't a 3AM start from Bengaluru be sufficient?
Over the last weekend(15-16Dec) I did Blr - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Hornadu - Kudremukh - Moodbidri - Mlr - Uppinangady - Kukke - Gundya - Sakleshpur - Hassan - Blr. After Mudigere I noticed that almost every 2-3 Kms, the road is dug up for some culvert work leaving only one lane operational and even this one lane is a mud road at some places. This could be a problem in the nights if you choose Charmadi. As I was returning back on Sunday afternoon, there is the usual heavy traffic on the Shiradi road but the cement road in the ghats is done beautifully and should be better than Charmadi in the night time as of now
mchandra13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 12:42   #7990
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

non-bhpian friend (driving sedan, will not drive between 8pm and 5am) wants to have a "enjoy the driving" trip of bangalore-udupi (maybe kollur if time permits) and back. He *does not* want the sakleshpur/shiradi/mangalore straightforward option at all. Wants to do agumbe for onward journey. He is confused after reading this thread with multiple options. Despite following this thread, even I'm confused. BHP-ians, please help with the right choice. Only priority (onward and return) is road surface and least surprise potholes/humps. Duration or extra distance does not matter. The concern is flood/rainfall damage and/or associated repair and related bottlenecks.

Onward -
(the stretch written in bold is common)

O1. blore-tumkur-hiriyur-hosadurga-tarikere-bhadravathi-thirthahalli-agumbe-hiriadka-udupi
O2. blore-tumkur-sira-huliyar-banavara-kadur-tarikere-bharavathi-thirthahalli-agumbe-hiriadka-udupi
O3. blore-tumkur-gubbi-tiptur-arsikere-banavara-kadur-tarikere-bharavathi-thirthahalli-agumbe-hiriadka-udupi
O4. blore-NH75-channarayapatna bypass-arsikere-banavara-kadur-tarikere-bharavathi-thirthahalli-agumbe-hiriadka-udupi

Return -
(the stretch written in bold is common)

R1. regular charmadi route -> udupi-karkala-bajegoli-belthangady-ujire-charmadi-kottigehara-mudigere-belur-hassan-NH75-bangalore
R2. udupi-karkala-bajegoli-SK border-kudremukh-kalasa-kottigehara-mudigere-belur-hassan-NH75-bangalore
R3. udupi-hiriadka-agumble-begar-sringeri-balehonnur-aldur-chikmaglur-belur-hassan-NH75-bangalore

Thank you
Old 21st December 2018, 13:02   #7991
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Folks, planning to drive to Heggodu (Neenasam village which is after Shivamogga) from Bangalore starting tomorrow at 6 AM.

Which would be the best route?

Google suggests Tumkur->Hiriyur->Ajjampur->Bhadravati->Shivamogga route which I did not find anyone suggesting in this thread.
It also suggests going up to Davanagere and then proceeding to Honnali -> Nyamathi completely bypassing Shivamogga as the next best route from time perspective even though it is 25 kms longer.
From the time perspective, the worser option according to google maps seems to be Channarayapatna->Arasikere->Bhadravati->Shivamogga->Heggodu. But this is the route recommended in this thread.

Can you folks let me know?
Old 21st December 2018, 13:47   #7992
BHPian

Planning to drive from Mumbai to Udupi and from there to Bangalore can you please suggest me a route. Here is my plan

Mumbai > Hubali > Gokarna > Murudeshwar > Udupi > mangalore

From Mangalore Plan to come to Bangalore. Is Shiradi ghat roads are good? or should I take chicmangalur route?

Last edited by sameerpb : 21st December 2018 at 13:48. Reason: spelling
Old 21st December 2018, 14:36   #7993
BHPian

Thanks to all folks here. Starting tonight. Desire is to reach Udupi by 10 am to have the day available. So shall start by 12 or 1 am. Charmadiseems to be the better option considering the emergency availablity of villages. So that is the one I am choosing this time.

Many tha is, to all who helped.
Exhaust_Note is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 16:23   #7994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Charmadi seems to be the better option considering the emergency availablity of villages. So that is the one I am choosing this time
I had - in view of the number of travellers and the time of travel - suggested Charmadi earlier. Had a relook after reading this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchandra13 View Post
After Mudigere I noticed that almost every 2-3 Kms, the road is dug up for some culvert work leaving only one lane operational and even this one lane is a mud road at some places. This could be a problem in the nights if you choose Charmadi
On enquiring with a few locals, I came to know that this is indeed the case: additionally, that the roads after Kottigehara have detiorated, specially on the edges. There was even a minor protest of sorts urging the authorities to take up repair works urgently.

In light of the above and keeping in mind your objective of reaching Udupi (only) by 10AM by leaving home at 1AM, I NOW suggest you stick to Shiradi. It will be nearer to dawn by the time you reach the ghats. Therefore, no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelerar View Post
Which would be the best route?
Options 1 and 3 are preferable to 2. I would stick to 1, if I were you. Hiriyur-Ajjampura-Bhadravathi-Shivamogga is a decent stretch.

Quote:
Google suggests Tumkur->Hiriyur->Ajjampur->Bhadravati->Shivamogga route which I did not find anyone suggesting in this thread.
That route has been discussed a fair number of times in an other thread, the freshest of which can be found in the following link.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4502327 (Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries)

Wish you both a safe journey!
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 17:20   #7995
BHPian

I had been to Ninasam in October.. Had taken BLR - Chitradurga - Shimoga - Ninasam.. No need to go upto Sagar. If I am right you need to turn left at a village called Ullur. Ninasam is around 7-8 kms from the turnoff.
Rajesh K R is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks