Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2019, 07:54   #8026
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureshS View Post
Which is a decent place to stay at Kollur?
Please see this thread for recommended stay options at Kollur - here (Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries)

*I have linked to one of the pages, but do look up other pages on that thread as well, there are many suggestions.
Old 11th February 2019, 15:17   #8027
BHPian

I drove to MAHE,Manipal over the weekend to deliver a workshop at one of their engineering schools.

I started from Bangalore on Friday at around 2 PM with a couple of colleagues. The route was Bangalore-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Uppinangady-Mangalore-Manipal. This was my first drive through the famed Shiradi ghat. Technically, the ghat was not very challenging. The curves are quite gentle & the newly laid concrete roads help. 4 laning work is currently under progress at several stretches between Sakleshpur & Mangalore. If you are stuck behind a big truck or a bus, overtaking will have to be carefully planned.

On the return leg, we started from Manipal at 3:45 PM. By the time I hit the Shiradi ghat, it was already dark. The poor high beam of the XUV resulted in slower progress.

The one-way journey (in either direction) will take around 8-8.5 hours, breaks included.
satishv1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 14:55   #8028
BHPian

Hello people,

Agumbe ghat is down - rocks have loosened and started to fall, unusual though for Agumbe known for stable ghat. I suspect the cabling has reduced the strength. The district administration is repairing the ghat.

Recently, I have also witnessed longish vehicles try to pass Agumbe, risking safety of others and the ghat itself.

People can use other options - Hulikal or Kudremukh.
aithalsandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 11:31   #8029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Charmadi Ghat:
  • Post entering Chikkamagluru District, road conditions deteriorate and there are lot of sections with deep potholes (will upload video later)
Update: The patchwork on Charmadi on the Chikkamagaluru District side is all done and now there are no bad patches all over Charmadi. This is an update from my friend who rode a 2 wheeler from Mangalore to Bangalore over the last weekend.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 12:59   #8030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
Agumbe ghat is down - rocks have loosened and started to fall, unusual though for Agumbe known for stable ghat
Came across this article in Deccan Herald on Saturday.
Agumbe ghat section (that connects Shivamogga to Udupi, via Agumbe) would be closed during the entire month of March-2019.

https://www.deccanherald.com/state/a...xt-720013.html
redCherry is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 15:07   #8031
BHPian

Hi All,

What would be the best route to reach Bekal from Hassan? I don't mind a slightly longer route if the road condition is good.

Google map shows this route :
Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Subrahmanya - Paichar - Jalsoor - Kasargod - Bekal

I have never driven the Subrahmanya - Jalsoor - Kasargod route, so I am not sure how good or bad it is.
Old 26th February 2019, 20:05   #8032
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazer2013 View Post
Google map shows this route :
Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Subrahmanya - Paichar - Jalsoor - Kasargod - Bekal
This route is quite standard and I don't think there are any bad sections or anything to worry about.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:22   #8033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
Hello people,

Agumbe ghat is down - rocks have loosened and started to fall, unusual though for Agumbe known for stable ghat. I suspect the cabling has reduced the strength. The district administration is repairing the ghat.

Recently, I have also witnessed longish vehicles try to pass Agumbe, risking safety of others and the ghat itself.

People can use other options - Hulikal or Kudremukh.
The district administration has postponed Agumbe ghat maintenance for a month starting from March 19th vs. old plan of March 1st to 31st. Attaching the news page from Navika (world famous local Kannada daily in Shivamogga).
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-screenshot_20190303112515.png  

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd March 2019 at 16:13. Reason: Deleting external smiley
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 11:21   #8034
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Shiradi - Mangalore - Udupi - Kundapura - Udupi - Karkala - Ujire - Charmadi - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore during the last weekend and here are few updates:

Shiradi Ghat:
  • Hassan - Sakaleshpur & Gundya BC Road - Work in progress, few diversions, rough patches between Hassan - Sakleshpur
  • The culverts which gave a bouncy ride 2 weeks before between Gundya and BC Road are now leveled to road surface
Mangalore - Udupi - Bhramavara - Kundapura:
  • Clean 4 lane stretches all the way, Kundapura bypass work in progress
  • Regular presence of barricades as you pass each village or small town or median breaks
Udupi - Katpady - Belman - Karkala:
  • Excellent single carriageway end to end
  • Very small sections nearing Belman is undone (widened like the rest) but road itself remains very good
  • Watch out for regular barricades and rumblers as you pass each village or small town
Karkala - Bajagoli - Naravi - Guruvayanakere:
  • Mix of 95% good and 5% OK stretch of the entire ~60 kms section
  • Undone road while you negotiate that narrow section at Naravi for 100 meters
  • Karkala till Bajagoli is neatly marked
Charmadi Ghat - Kottigehara - Mudigere:
  • All patched up now - Whole of Charmadi ghat has got not even a single pothole and is bliss to drive!!
  • Kottigehara Banakal Mudigere has culvert work in progress (at least at 3-4 locations) with diversions
Overall update :
  • For fast, wide and roads with adequate facilities consider Shiradi in present state for both Mangalore and Udupi
  • Contrary to the status referred earlier (2 weeks back by me), the status with Charmadi is now 'Green' and one can consider this route as an alternate albeit narrower roads, lesser options to break
  • FASTag worked flawlessly without issues at all the booths and was a considerable time saver yesterday as traffic was thicker towards Bangalore with an average of 6-10 cars in each lane
  • Possibility of a Shell station's existence near Yediyur towards Bangalore which requires 800m detour (discussed here (Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)))
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-charmadimarch2019.jpg
Time taken:
  • Onward to Mangalore - We took internal routes to reach Nelamangala directly on Friday evening from our Yelahanka home and including a small break along with a longish dinner break at Hassan and one more near Nellyadi for tea, we took 7 hours starting from Bangalore at 18:00 to Mangalore
  • Return to Bangalore from Malpe - We started from Malpe at 11:30, refueled soon after near Udupi, stopped for tea break at Bajagoli for 15 minutes, reached Fresh Bean Cafe for lunch at 14:30 after 2 small breaks atop Charmadi, started from here at 1515 and did non-stop to Bangalore and reached HMT, Jalahalli at 19:30. So that's around 8 hours from Malpe to Bangalore with all the breaks and 2 cars and 3 families

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th March 2019 at 11:41.
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 01:20   #8035
BHPian

I had been to Mangalore-Padubidri-Udupi-Aanegudde-Kateel-Moodbidri

As already stated, the road from Hassan to Sakleshpur has some work going on. The Shiradi Ghat is fine. After Shiradi, the road is undivided but the surface is OK. Mangalore to Padubidri to Udupi and to Aanegudde, top class divided road. Padubidri to Kateel and from Kateel to Moodbidri the roads are good.

Stayed at IRAA Beach House in Padubidri. Just some 10 mts from the beach and the river passes behind the house. If someone is interested, here is the link: https://iraa-beach-house-padubidri.business.site/
SureshS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 15:01   #8036
BHPian

All - Is bisle ghat open currently all the way post last year's floods ? I have a full day to return from Subaramanya to bangalore and planning to take this route. Haven't travelled on this road since 2011.
Old 12th March 2019, 17:37   #8037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: The patchwork on Charmadi on the Chikkamagaluru District side is all done and now there are no bad patches all over Charmadi. This is an update from my friend who rode a 2 wheeler from Mangalore to Bangalore over the last weekend.

Did Bangalore - Hassan - Shiradi - Dharmasthala - Charmadi - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore over the weekend on the Duke and I loved every bit on the Charmadi stretch. Started at 0530 and returned home at 1800 covering 619kms of blissful drive.
Initially I was planning to ride back on Shiradi, but after seeing this update, I tweaked the route plan and it was an amazing experience. Thanks for the update.
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 09:23   #8038
BHPian

Folks,

Considering present situation which is the best route for Bangalore to Kateel. Travel is on this weekend 16th march early morning.

To reach Kateel by 10-11 am what is ideal start time from Bangalore. I'm sure I will face low GC issues with my old Baleno since we are 4 passengers and moderate luggage.

And also Kateel to Kukke si there multiple routes - if then which is best one.

regards
prsn
Old 14th March 2019, 09:28   #8039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
Considering present situation which is the best route for Bangalore to Kateel.
Via Hassan Shiradi BC Road.

Quote:
To reach Kateel by 10-11 am what is ideal start time from Bangalore.
4:00 would be a good start. 03:30 even better.

Quote:
And also Kateel to Kukke si there multiple routes - if then which is best one.
Uppinangady - Kadaba Route is a better approach to reach Kukke.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 10:36   #8040
BHPian

Quote:
Via Hassan Shiradi BC Road.

4:00 would be a good start. 03:30 even better.

Uppinangady - Kadaba Route is a better approach to reach Kukke.
Thanks a lot Parag. So with a 4am start, you have any suggestion of good veg hotel we get to stop say between 8-8.30 am time. Hassan should be over that time I believe.

Rgrds
Prsn

Most Viewed