Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2017, 19:52   #7276
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

From Bangalore, is via Mangalore the best route to Udupi or via Karkala - Manipal?
And I understand taking Shiradi ghat is still the better option.
Old 21st August 2017, 20:33   #7277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
From Bangalore, is via Mangalore the best route to Udupi or via Karkala - Manipal?
And I understand taking Shiradi ghat is still the better option.
Depends really. Few will find never ending twisties quite boring and lazy on Karkala route while many may find it laid back and interesting.

If you have always taken Shiradi, then you can take Charmadi and reach Udupi via Karkala if you want to try. The roads are good (better) in terms of Tarmac but ghats are narrower with 11 hairpin bends.

However, for a first time, for the ease of navigation and wider, busier and flourishing roadside break options, via Mangalore is the better option.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 00:43   #7278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Bad sections are indeed bad as per reports from few friends who took it on the Independence day long weekend.
How long are the bad sections? I plan to drive down this weekend.

Many thanks in advance.
Siddharth

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2017 at 16:51. Reason: Removed video link
naga.sid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 07:18   #7279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga.sid View Post
How long are the bad sections? I plan to drive down this weekend.

Many thanks in advance.
Siddharth
It is a maximum of 15 kms. It begins at the end of concrete stretch and continues till Gundya. Also around 500m just before the concrete stretch begins, the roads are bad.
unk9ja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 19:55   #7280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
It is a maximum of 15 kms. It begins at the end of concrete stretch and continues till Gundya. Also around 500m just before the concrete stretch begins, the roads are bad.
Thanks. This stretch was bad when I had traveled in Feb earlier this year.
So unfortunately this has not improved yet !
Old 28th August 2017, 08:10   #7281
Senior - BHPian

Have to drive to Bangalore on 31st from Mangalore airport starting at 8:15 am. Which route is better now?
Old 28th August 2017, 08:20   #7282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Have to drive to Bangalore on 31st from Mangalore airport starting at 8:15 am. Which route is better now?
Being a weekday, Shiradi even with its current state is a good pick.

However, given the fact that you are quite regular (and a local), You won't need special advise regarding the fact that you can take Charmadi too .

My cousin took this from Chikmagalur and back on Wednesday and reported it to be in same state (good) as before except one of 2 sections before the Hairpin starts after Charmadi village, a stretch less than 100 Meters.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 13:49   #7283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

However, given the fact that you are quite regular (and a local), You won't need special advise regarding the fact that you can take Charmadi too .

My cousin took this from Chikmagalur and back on Wednesday and reported it to be in same state (good) as before except one of 2 sections before the Hairpin starts after Charmadi village, a stretch less than 100 Meters.
I am worried about the town and village traffic after bc road after 9. I think last time it cost us over 2:hours.
Old 28th August 2017, 14:00   #7284
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Shiradi ghat between Gundya and the stretch where concrete road starts is full of potholes. With the recent rain it has become mud fest and since potholes are filled with water it might be difficult for you to judge the depth. Due to the same reason I took Mysore route during my yesterday`s return trip as I started from Puttur.

So I suggest you to take Charmadi route as it helps you to avoid busy stretch of BC Road and Mani as well broken stretch of Shiradi ghat.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 28th August 2017 at 14:02.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 14:02   #7285
BHPian

Quote:
I am worried about the town and village traffic after bc road after 9. I think last time it cost us over 2:hours.
I had traveled yesterday to Bangalore via Puttur-Mysuru route. It took me 1.5 hours (from 3 pm to 4.30 pm) to reach the Puttur turn from Bejai. Road condition just before Kalladka was pathetic and with Ganesha tableau every few kms, it turned out to be a bumper to bumper jam. Only fun part was the Madikeri stretch. Did not find any potholes and was able to maintain good speed most of the time. The weather was simply amazing, with light drizzles and medium to thick fog.
k88k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 15:29   #7286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is irritating I admit and nearing Guruvayanakere till Kakkinje before Charmadi its the same and one may have to follow all sorts of local traffic but there will still be peace as opposed to negotiating Potholes while KSRTC buses bully you from behind to overtake.

I feel for someone from kadalu thick traffic on single carriageway road should not bother much .

Also, while you take Charmadi, you have an option to deviate onto Sakaleshpur road via Jannapura - Hanbal (Clean traffic free roads till Anemahal) or head Via Belur.

Since its a weekday and also that Sakaleshpur - Hassan has expansion work in progress, you can go via Belur itself as there wont be the usual Bangalore bound tourist traffic originating from Chikmagalur on a weekday.

In a nutshell, if its you, take Charmadi and for those who haven't taken this or are worried about narrower roads, stick to Shiradi or the Madikeri - Sampaje route and deviate back to Hassan at CR Patna by taking Hunsur - KR Nagar - Holenarasipura - CR Patna route.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 15:40   #7287
BHPian

Shiradi ghat is in a very poor condition after the concrete road until Gundya/Dharmastala deviation, i had an horrible time in heavy rains + traffic + craters. In return journey used charmadi ghat, which is far far better.
Sri Vathsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 18:19   #7288
BHPian

The return drive back on Sunday was a nightmare. I started from M'lore at 10:30 AM and reached home in Bannerghatta Road at 10 PM.
Huge queues + merging lanes in the tolls, unruly drivers, Ganesha processions, massive traffic jam during Nelamangala entry - it was a complete disaster

Luckily it was not raining. If not, it would have taken few more hours
shatananda.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 19:02   #7289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatananda.k View Post
The return drive back on Sunday was a nightmare. I started from M'lore at 10:30 AM and reached home in Bannerghatta Road at 10 PM.
Starting time with others, merging with more traffic from Hassan onwards, Merging with much more traffic near Nelamangala, extended weekend : Could you have asked for anything less .
Next time, plan to start from Mangalore before 7am. This will ensure you cross Hassan by 11am and are at Nelemangala by 1:30 after a lunch break and home by 2:30PM!

I had made a mistake of returning on Ganesha Chaturthi holiday once which was the rarest of the rare cases from me. Got stuck at each toll for 20 Minutes and seeing crowd at Swati Delicacy, decided to take the Magadi road and reached home in under 90 minutes from here which would have never been the case if I had taken the Nelemangala route.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 19:20   #7290
BHPian

Quote:
Starting time with others, merging with more traffic from Hassan onwards, Merging with much more traffic near Nelamangala, .
Usually we leave by 6. Sunday there was a personal commitment leading to the delays.
I knew traffic would be bad, just did not realize it would be this bad. Anyway, I have decided to take a couple of days off if I travel out of B'lore during long weekends. Plan will be to return when the traffic has returned to normalcy
shatananda.k is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks