Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2017, 22:11   #7306
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Unless you have some work in Sakaleshpur, there is no point in taking the above route. Instead you should try Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arasikere-Somwarpete-Madikeri. Except for frequent speed bumps in CR Patna-Arasikere stretch, you have good roads all throughout till Puttur.

Also if you are staying in south Bangalore and planning to leave early then you can even stick to Mysore-Madikeri-Puttur route. This has been my regular route now a days and unless I have a hitch to drive in those twisties and lonely road of Somwarpete stretch.
I'm sure you meant Arkalgud and not Arsikere. Arsikere is in the opposite direction, going towards Shimoga
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 12:22   #7307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Unless you have some work in Sakaleshpur, there is no point in taking the above route. Instead you should try Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arakagudu-Somwarpete-Madikeri. Except for frequent speed bumps in CR Patna-Arakagudu stretch, you have good roads all throughout till Puttur.

Also if you are staying in south Bangalore and planning to leave early then you can even stick to Mysore-Madikeri-Puttur route. This has been my regular route now a days and unless I have a hitch to drive in those twisties and lonely road of Somwarpete stretch.
I actually want to drive till the point where good road ends in the bisle ghat section and turn back. So asked that route. Is it possible?
Old 26th September 2017, 13:08   #7308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
I actually want to drive till the point where good road ends in the bisle ghat section and turn back. So asked that route. Is it possible?
Sakaleshpur-Kuduraste stretch I am not aware and I will let others to comment.

However I am pasting couple of updates reported by me and hothatchaway about the road conditions on CR Patna-Arkalagudu-Shanivarsante-Kudurasthe-Bisle ghat for your reference.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4227626

Post by hothatchaway
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4234818

Last edited by DragonHawk : 26th September 2017 at 13:10.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 16:47   #7309
BHPian

Hi I am traveling to Puttur/Vitla tomorrow from HSR. I typically take Shiradi for my travel. But this time I thought I will try the Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arakagudu-Somwarpete-Madikeri. On a 2nd thought, I would as well do a quick tour of Mallalli falls & Bisile ghat. I guess the roads are good without much traffic & craters!

However one question - after reaching Bisile, instead of coming back to Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur, should I take Bisile-Subramanya- Panja- Kaniyur-.
Anyone travelled this route?
Old 28th September 2017, 11:41   #7310
BHPian

Update on Shiradi ghat condition.

I was in dual mind whether to take Shiradi or go via Mysore-Madikeri-Puttur. But reports of heavy rain and jams reported in Ramnagar and Mandya made me stick to Shiradi ghat and it turned out to be a good decision altogether. Overall it took 6.30hrs to reach Puttur and Shiradi ghat section has not yet reached the worst state which we have seen it before. However few potholes between Sakaleshpur and Hassan are right in the middle of the road and are too deep to damage your wheels so one need to be very careful while driving this stretch.

Update on Fastag between Nelamangala and Hassan
Last time I had reported of excess toll getting deducted in Nelmangala and Bellur toll plaza which I am yet to get a refund http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4267362. Today I noticed that Fastag lane on both of these toll plaza was closed and in rest of two tolls Fastag worked flawlessly.

Overall driving via Shiradi is still remain the fastest route but driving at night should be avoidable.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 12:09   #7311
BANNED

I am traveling tomorrow to udupi via charmadi route.This is my favorite route,did 4 trips in last two months and road was in good condition.Normally I start early morning 4AM and reach Karkala at 10 30AM. Anyone traveled this week via charmadi? How is the road condition now.
balechaparka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 10:37   #7312
Senior - BHPian

Posting on behalf of a friend

I am planning a 4 day road trip covering coastal Karnataka. I plan to travel to Sagar-jogfalls and then onwards to Murudeshwara. From Murudeshwara I would head towards udupi, malpe and finally back to Bangalore. I intend to cover Mangalore but that's not a must. The car is a sedan with low gc (civic) , driving would be mostly during day time with family including small kid. Please suggest good options for routes considering road conditions , travel time etc. Thanks.
adimicra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 23:42   #7313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arakagudu-Somwarpete-Madikeri.
Did you take this route ? If yes, Please advise road conditions. I may skip Somavararapete and go via Kushalnagar though.

I am driving down to Vitla next weekend and would like to avoid Shiradi. Thanks!

Last edited by Thilak29 : 30th September 2017 at 23:43.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 13:42   #7314
BHPian

@adimicra, pls refer Bangalore-Shimoga thread for details. I did similar trip 6m ago. You can find details, options and caution there.

High level route is as follows -

1. BLR - CR patna - Arsikere - Shimoga - Sagar - Jog
2. Jog - Gersoppa - Honnavar - Murudeshwar - Gokarna
3. Gokarna - Udupi - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Tharikere - Arsikere - CR patna
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 16:30   #7315
BHPian

Hi all,

Please pardon if this is not the right thread

I am travelling to Melukote through Nelamangala, Kunigal, Bellur cross, Nagamangala. I would like to know of any good places for breakfast after Nelamangala. Planning a 6 AM start from Whitefield, targeting a place for breakfast by around 7.30 ~ 8.00 AM

Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 16:52   #7316
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
I would like to know of any good places for breakfast after Nelamangala.
There are quite a few options, some newer ones too that I'm not too sure about, but here are some:
1. Shark food court - this one is on the left, about 20km after you turn off onto the Hassan/Mangalore highway at Nelamangala

2. Adigas Grand and Swathi delicacy both on right side near Yediyur, there is a break in median to access these places. Swathi delicacy is the much more popular one. I think there is a new Kamat also nearby.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd October 2017 at 17:11.
Old 2nd October 2017, 18:26   #7317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
targeting a place for breakfast by around 7.30 ~ 8.00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think there is a new Kamat also nearby.
New Kamat just before Swati on the left - https://goo.gl/maps/QBrgG166fTm
Also can try the restaurant at Empire if interested - https://goo.gl/maps/k5ydXwkoQYw

Last edited by procrj : 2nd October 2017 at 18:28.
Old 2nd October 2017, 18:31   #7318
Senior - BHPian

I stopped by at this kamat for dinner and liked the food. My typical stop is at Mayura and I feel this place is pretty even

Plus being a new place, the toilets are clean.

Only issue is too many insects and flies at night
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 20:50   #7319
Senior - BHPian

I need to travel to Kukke and Dharmasthala from Udupi and then continue to Bangalore. This is planned for end of October. Is Shiradi the only option for me or is there a better road? Also do I need to visit Mangalore or is there a direct road from Udupi? Never tried any other road other than Shiradi before but looking at various posts this road looks scary for Honda city that I will be traveling in. Again the car will be full with 5 people
Old 2nd October 2017, 21:07   #7320
BHPian

I travelled to Puttur/Vitla this long weekend. I typically take Shiradi route but dread driving that route when the roads are in degraded condition. The other nuisance is people trying to overtake anywhere, anyhow and anytime with no regards to oncoming vehicles, blind corners. Beside littering the place where they stop their cars

So this time I planned to take Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arakagudu-Somwarpete-Madikeri. However as we started traveling, had a change of mind and from Somwarpete instead of catching on to Madikeri, we went to see Mallallli falls just as a detour. The road is decent all through, with occasional rough patches...no craters.

The visuals on this road was a pleasant with ragi & corn fields! We had a quick visit to the waterfalls, enjoyed the sight, which was also our break point!

As we started from Mallalli it was cloudy and I did a mistake of taking the Bisile-Subramanya route with a plan to catch NH @ Uppinangadi! That was a big mistake, torrential rain started as we got close to Bisile. So we drove non stop thru Bisile towards Subramanya. There is hardly any road for nearly 19 kms on this stretch. The roads are top layered in preparation for white topping I guess! It was bone shaking ride, but enjoyed as we had only 1 jeep ahead of us and 3 other vehicles from opposite side. Basically no one seems to dare take this route. Saw many fallen trees and loose boulders! Good thing was the entire stretch was devoid of plastics/bottles and other craps!

on the way back came via Charmadi-Belur-Hasan, decent road through Charmadi, some turns had bad patches but manageable, no continuous bad stretch!

Overall great trip!
Gany is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed