Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2023, 17:57   #9691
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Bangalore > Hassan > Belur > Mudigere > Charmady > Belthangady > Karkala > Manipal

Please let me know if this route is fine, or is there a better option.
A hot report coming off the plate... Just did this route today, except I went Karkala-Padubidri-Udupi. The roads are in excellent shape.
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 11:57   #9692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A hot report coming off the plate... Just did this route today, except I went Karkala-Padubidri-Udupi. The roads are in excellent shape.
How foggy is the route these days? Planning a night drive (11pm-7am) in a week and preferring Shiradi or Madikeri route for this very reason. I love the Charmadi route and want to start taking it again, but it can become very foggy around 3-5 am.

The Madikeri route is longer, but I enjoyed my last drive to Puttur. Roads were good all through. Might take this just to have some variety.
Old 13th December 2023, 13:30   #9693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaYesEye View Post
Belur>Balehonnur>Sringeri>Agumbe was best, as the usual Gmap route via Balehonnur>Hariharpura wasn't that great.

I'm unsure what is the road condition via Shimoga.
I am just curious to know the road condition in Agumbe Ghat. Last time I want there, it was a bit patchy. Is it any better now?
Old 13th December 2023, 14:11   #9694
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
How foggy is the route these days? Planning a night drive (11pm-7am) in a week and preferring Shiradi or Madikeri route for this very reason.
No idea. I don't drive at nights in ghats. I can't handle the high beams of oncoming vehicles.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 15:59   #9695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
How foggy is the route these days? Planning a night drive (11pm-7am) in a week and preferring Shiradi or Madikeri route for this very reason. I love the Charmadi route and want to start taking it again, but it can become very foggy around 3-5 am.

The Madikeri route is longer, but I enjoyed my last drive to Puttur. Roads were good all through. Might take this just to have some variety.
Generally I start my drive towards Bangalore (from Puttur) around 5 AM and have encountered good amount of fog, especially in low lying areas. (I drive via Shiradi most of the times)

Visibility reduces significantly compared to a clear day /night and demands 100% attention from the driver.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 09:49   #9696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
I am just curious to know the road condition in Agumbe Ghat. Last time I want there, it was a bit patchy. Is it any better now?
Pretty smooth without any undulations.

I will update you in a few weeks as I retake the route.
TeaYesEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 10:23   #9697
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

What would be the best route to get onto Bisle ghat and go all the way to Subrahmanya ?
Old 14th December 2023, 11:12   #9698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
What would be the best route to get onto Bisle ghat and go all the way to Subrahmanya ?
Assuming you are starting from Bangalore, you can take Chennarayapatna - Holenarasipura - Arakalagudu - Shanivarasanthe - Kooduraste - Bisle - Kulkunda - Subramanya

Other option is Bangalore - Balupete- Hethur - Kooduraste and continue - This would be faster one till Balupete

Option 1 is scenic as it passes through sugarcane, paddy fields from Chennarayapatna.
Oppanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 13:32   #9699
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppanna View Post
Assuming you are starting from Bangalore, you can take Chennarayapatna - Holenarasipura - Arakalagudu - Shanivarasanthe - Kooduraste - Bisle - Kulkunda - Subramanya

Other option is Bangalore - Balupete- Hethur - Kooduraste and continue - This would be faster one till Balupete
Thanks, yes this is ex-Bangalore. Gmaps didn’t seem to even suggest option 1, so I wanted to confirm.

I think gmaps was suggesting going via Sakleshpura and another option was to go till end of Hassan bypass and then take SH 121.
Old 14th December 2023, 19:28   #9700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I travelled via Bisle coupel of times early this year, when Hassan, Sakleshpura and Gundya roiute was in too bad shape.

But with present condition, I would suggest via Gundya, will be faster and safer.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 21:42   #9701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
I used this route during Deepavali holidays. There are some culverts built over the last few years between Agumbe & Hariharpura - the approaches to these culverts are not very smooth, one would have to slow down, especially with low-GC vehicles. Otherwise, it's very much doable.
Shubbi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 11:10   #9702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Mangalore-Bangalore via Charmadi ghats- Travel date - 22/11/22 in my Kia EV6.
What was the range you got on the drive, in the EV6 ? How many charging stops ?
Old 17th December 2023, 16:18   #9703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I would suggest B'lore > Hassan > Sakleshpur > Shiradi > Dharmasthala Cross > Ujire > Guruvayankere > Venur > Mudbidri, considering you have an elderly person, as it has less turns and wider roads. Just take it little easy between Sakleshpur > Shiradi and Gundya > Ujire.
Hi folks, plan changed a bit and I had to go frst to Uppinangadi. Went through Shiradi, Gundya and it was hate at first sight for my mom! (The sight of digging the mountain for road widening)
Turns were not a problem as I go slowest (am the one who makes way for all the vehicles when mom is around. She actually likes the way I handle ghats!)

Pls suggest how to do Dharmasthala - Hassan peacefully - distance is not a barrier. Whether charmadi route also is full of road widening work?
Old 17th December 2023, 19:14   #9704
BHPian

We're planning a trip to Mangalore and planning to take the Mysore route via Coorg. Can I pls get some inputs on this option? Should I blindly follow GMaps or are there any pointers that can be helpful? I heard the roads are better on this stretch although its a bit longer distance wise, but takes the same duration due to better avg speeds.

We're travelling in 2 low GC sedan + hatch combo and have kids onboard who are sort of sensitive to ghat roads, so trying to avoid Charmadi. Any good rest stops (coffee/tea breaks) and clean restroom options after leaving Mysore? the ladies are very particular about these
Old 17th December 2023, 19:40   #9705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedup View Post
Pls suggest how to do Dharmasthala - Hassan peacefully - distance is not a barrier. Whether charmadi route also is full of road widening work?
If your start point is Dharmasthala, than the only other alternative is charmadi. There are no road widening happening in the charmadi ghats. Distance difference is also NOT much.
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks