Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 16:34   #391

Bangalore to Manipal - Best route ???

I went through all the threads. I am all the more confused as of now. I plan to drive to Manipal (4 kms from Udupi) from Bangalore this weekend (Friday). Plan is to leave at about 7:00pm and drive throughout the night to Manipal.

Can anyone suggest the best route to take. After going through all the threads i froze on the following: Is this the best route to take??

Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Punjalkatte-Bantval-Mudabidri-Karkal-Manipal.

Is it a better idea to go to Mangalore from Bantval and then go to Manipal following the coast?

Last edited by Samurai : 20th January 2009 at 17:00. Reason: removing font tags
Old 20th January 2009, 17:02   #392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
3. General Kariappa, dont forget him, take a left here to go to mangalore(road is bad for abt 10 kms here)
You mean General Thimmayya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuriananoop View Post
Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Punjalkatte-Bantval-Mudabidri-Karkal-Manipal.

Is it a better idea to go to Mangalore from Bantval and then go to Manipal following the coast?
That route is fine. Going via Mangalore would add 30Kms more.
Old 20th January 2009, 17:10   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
3. General Kariappa, dont forget him, take a left here to go to mangalore(road is bad for abt 10 kms here)
Cariappa was Field Marshal, hence there cannot be a General Cariappa road (You cannot downgrade his rank).
BTW, there is a Field Marshal Cariappa Road here in bangalore.

Abhi

OT: Just saw Samurai's post after posting this.

Last edited by akroy : 20th January 2009 at 17:12.
Old 20th January 2009, 21:31   #394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuriananoop
Hi
Would it be a better option to take the SH37 at Kuvettu and then hit Karkal and then take SH66 and SH25A to Udupi. I am refering to google maps.

Can you also advise where is belthangadi and Ujire. I cant seem to figure out how to reach Udupi through belthangadi and Ujire.

Is it wiser not to go via Mangalore?

Thanks for your help. Am all excite for my first long drive on my MJD SDX.
Kurian
Actually I am not familiar with those highway numbers, not that it matters.

After Charmady, you will hit Ujire, Beltangady followed by Guruvayana Kere. Little later you will see a fork with ample directions, keep to the right here towards Karkala. Just keep watching the direction boards, you won't lose your way. You don't even have to deal with Bantawal or even Mudubidri.

Last edited by Samurai : 20th January 2009 at 21:32.
Old 21st January 2009, 09:37   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Cariappa was Field Marshal, hence there cannot be a General Cariappa road (You cannot downgrade his rank).
BTW, there is a Field Marshal Cariappa Road here in bangalore.

Abhi

OT: Just saw Samurai's post after posting this.
Before becoming a Field marshal he would have been General at some point isnt it

I dont know much about the army ranks.. Even army Jawans have high respect in my heart

Abhi, i am not sure about the road(That way all the roads of coorg might be named after some one or the other in Army) but there is a circle where you need to take a left
Old 21st January 2009, 10:31   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuriananoop View Post
I went through all the threads. I am all the more confused as of now. I plan to drive to Manipal (4 kms from Udupi) from Bangalore this weekend (Friday). Plan is to leave at about 7:00pm and drive throughout the night to Manipal.

Can anyone suggest the best route to take. After going through all the threads i froze on the following: Is this the best route to take??

Nopes, It will increase the distance of your travel.

The possible routes are as follows
1.Bangalore -Hassan -> Belur -> Chikmagalur -> Sringeri -> Agumbe -> Manipal
2.Bangalore -> Hassan -> Sakleshpur -Gundya-Dharmasthala-Ujire Guruvayankere-Karkala -> Manipal
Road condition near Sakleshpur is extremely bad and this route be better avoided.
3.Bangalore -> Hassan -> Belur -> Mudigere-Kottigehara-Ujire - Guruvayankere-Karkal -> Manipal.

the ghat section is narrow

4. BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-KOTTIGEHARA-KUDREMUKHA-KARKALA-MANIPAL.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:28   #397
Senior - BHPian

I have latest update on Route 1 as suggested by Sushrutha

Distance comes upto 420kms, please take it..very scenic..good road(except agumbe, but hardly few kms)
Old 27th January 2009, 13:33   #398
BHPian

Howz the shiradi ghat now ? Last i travelled was in third week of october, and the stretch from sakleshpur n gundya was real bad and it was sporadic potholes between gundya n uppinangady. But for a small car could somehow manage.. has there been any improvements in this particular stretch now.

Also howz the stretch between BC Road n Mangalore now ?
Old 27th January 2009, 14:11   #399
Senior - BHPian

Maruru, dont think of taking Shiradi its meant for UV's only presently
Old 27th January 2009, 14:19   #400
BHPian

Hi I am due to travel to DK and following is my itinerary, help with the best possible routes to be taken is highly appreciated. I am travelling with my family.
30/01/2009 - Leave betw 6 am & 7 am from Bangalore and reach Kukke Subramanya, buy coupons for some pooja's
30/01/2009 - Leave Kukke and reach Udupi before night fall (Is this possible???)
31/01/2009 - post lunch Udupi to Mangalore
31/01/2009 - Mangalore to Kukke (possible late nite arrival at Kukke)
01/02/2009 - Stay at Kukke
02/02/2009 - Kukke to Bangalore departure probably late afternoon on 2nd February.

Looking forward to suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old 27th January 2009, 14:38   #401
Senior - BHPian

anarchist

30/01....Very possible
31/01...Depending on how long you spend in Mlore but this is very possible

Have fun
Old 27th January 2009, 16:28   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Hi I am due to travel to DK and following is my itinerary, help with the best possible routes to be taken is highly appreciated. I am travelling with my family.
30/01/2009 - Leave betw 6 am & 7 am from Bangalore and reach Kukke Subramanya, buy coupons for some pooja's
30/01/2009 - Leave Kukke and reach Udupi before night fall (Is this possible???)
31/01/2009 - post lunch Udupi to Mangalore
31/01/2009 - Mangalore to Kukke (possible late nite arrival at Kukke)
01/02/2009 - Stay at Kukke
02/02/2009 - Kukke to Bangalore departure probably late afternoon on 2nd February.

Looking forward to suggestions. Thanks in advance.
B'lore - Kukke - Udupi can be done in a day.
M'lore to Kukke, it is approx. 130 Kms. Also you have the routing options like, you can take a diversion at uppinangady or you can travel further upto gundya and take the diversion to kukke. So you can cover this distance in approx. 2 - 3 hours, depending on your equipment/drive.
Old 27th January 2009, 17:13   #403
BHPian

Update on my piligrimage trip - Sat/Sun

Folks

I did go this weekend on my planned trip of Bantwal, Dharmasthala and Kukke Subramanya. Route regarding details given below

Onward trip - first leg
BLR - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri - Sampaje - Suliya - Puttur - Mane - B C Road - Bantwal (375 kms)--- covered this distance in 6 hours (includes 30 mins breakfast break). Left Bangalore at 5.00 am. Road is a breeze till Kushalnagar - you find some patched up and a few potholed corners before entering Madikeri. Once you cross Madikeri the ghat stretch is narrow (compared to Shiradi), its patched up in corners but visibility of oncoming traffic is low hence high speeds are avoidable. Sampaje to Suilya the roads are being relaid hence at patches you will find newly laid roads. Suliya to Puttur to Mane is an absolute delight.

Second Leg of the trip -
Bantwal - Belthangady - Dharmasthala ( 60 kms) - Started at 2.45 pm - reached at 4.00pm with a 15 min break in between.
Can say an okay stretch, not very good roads but you can maintain 60-70km/ hr speeds.

Third Leg of the trip
Dharmasthala -> Kukke Subramanya (70kms) - Started at 5.00pm - reached at 7.00pm
The internal roads to reach NH48 from Dharmasthala and from Gundya to Kukke is very good. NH48 has gone to the dogs. Cannot imagine a road being abused so badly as this one. The turns and corners have disappeared, you will find craters (not potholes) with mud and slush. I thanked god for not taking this route during my onward trip.

The return to BLR
Kukke - Belgere - Suliya - Sampaje - Madikeri - Kushalnagar - Srirangapatna - Bangalore
I will just cover the route till Suliya here because the rest of it is already told in the beginning of this post. At the exit arch of Kukke you will find 2 road diversions (1 on the left to Suliya, puttur and the other to Dharmasthala, NH48, Hassan). Remember to take the left. The internal road from Kukke to Belgere is very good, newly laid but narrow, you have to slow down to let the opposite cars pass by. KSRTC buses will make sure you go offroad. The stretch from Belgere to Suliya is absolutely bad (around 15 kms), you can manage to go max 30-40 kms/hr speeds. Rest of the routes is covered above from Suliya to Bangalore.

It was very tiresome - 850+ kms in 2 days but overall the temple visits took away some of the fatigue.

Next in the offing -- BLR to GOA via Mangalore (in July)... heard Udupi to Goa stretch is now back to normal.

Thanks to everyone for my earlier query... Shenoy maam... thanks for your travel guide and timing bench marks.

Cheers
-Rajesh
Old 27th January 2009, 19:01   #404
BHPian

Went home to Mangalore over the weekend and must say that the Madikeri-Sullia route is now impressively good. I could count the number of potholes that I encountered enroute on my fingers. Left Fraser Town, Bangalore at 2AM and was at home in Car Street, Mangalore at 7:30 AM. this was with a 15 min tea break at Srirangapatna and a 20 min road-block just before Padil on the BC Road-Mangalore stretch due to some sort of construction thats going on. Just one-way traffic is allowed at once while the traffic on the other side piles up for nearly 2-3 kms.
On the return journey, wanted to avoid Padil and hence took the Thokkottu-Konaje-Mudipu-Vittla-Kabaka-Puttur road. The road is good but very, very narrow with a lot of sharp curves. To be avoided at day since it can set you back by atleast 30 mins. Left Mangalore at 11:25 PM yesterday night and reached Fraser Town, Bangalore at 5:20 AM sharp.
Once the Kushalnagar-Madikeri and Madikeri-Sullia stretch is done up, this will be a beauty of a road. Kushalnagar-Madikeri is the only stretch that can be termed a little "bad'. Madikeri-Sullia has been patched up and the road is a little bumpy, but absolutely no harm to the car.
Old 28th January 2009, 16:39   #405
Senior - BHPian

Taz thats a great to know, btw good timing too....

Guess right time to make a trip to Mlore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road View Post
Went home to Mangalore over the weekend and must say that the Madikeri-Sullia route is now impressively good. I could count the number of potholes that I encountered enroute on my fingers. Left Fraser Town, Bangalore at 2AM and was at home in Car Street, Mangalore at 7:30 AM. this was with a 15 min tea break at Srirangapatna and a 20 min road-block just before Padil on the BC Road-Mangalore stretch due to some sort of construction thats going on. Just one-way traffic is allowed at once while the traffic on the other side piles up for nearly 2-3 kms.
On the return journey, wanted to avoid Padil and hence took the Thokkottu-Konaje-Mudipu-Vittla-Kabaka-Puttur road. The road is good but very, very narrow with a lot of sharp curves. To be avoided at day since it can set you back by atleast 30 mins. Left Mangalore at 11:25 PM yesterday night and reached Fraser Town, Bangalore at 5:20 AM sharp.
Once the Kushalnagar-Madikeri and Madikeri-Sullia stretch is done up, this will be a beauty of a road. Kushalnagar-Madikeri is the only stretch that can be termed a little "bad'. Madikeri-Sullia has been patched up and the road is a little bumpy, but absolutely no harm to the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks