Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2009, 15:20   #361
Team-BHP Support

thanks sushrutha, any idea what is the distance? also he will be using his Tavera for this trip, so slightly bad road conditions shouldnt be a problem for him.

IIRC Route is Bangalore > Tumkur > Shimoga right?
Old 6th January 2009, 16:45   #362

Sushrutha,

Thanks a million for replying. Since you are basically from Chikmagalur, I guess it is an oft-used route for you

I had one more query on the same: I am a bit confused on how to take the Belur road. It has been a long while since I visited Belur.
Correct me if I am wrong, but dont I have to drive through Hassan (and not the bye-pass road) to get onto Belur/Halebid road?

Again, many thanks for the reassurance on the route.

Regards,
Suhas
Old 6th January 2009, 16:53   #363
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu its doable in 4-5 hrs.

Yes its Blore - Tumkur - Shimoga...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
thanks sushrutha, any idea what is the distance? also he will be using his Tavera for this trip, so slightly bad road conditions shouldnt be a problem for him.

Old 6th January 2009, 17:13   #364

Hi Guys,
Taking a break from my business, I decided to hit the west coast route. Me and my better half were planning the Murudeshwar Gokarn visit since a few months but kept on postponing it. Finally the plan materialized and we made it along with our smaller halves.

After reading the reports of Bhpians about the road conditions, we took the Mysore – Chickmagalur – Balehonnur – Sringeri – Kundapura – Baindoor – Murudeshwar route. Some sections of the Agumbe ghat roads have worsened since our last trip in Oct 2007. We could clearly hear the concrete slabs rocking as our Scorpio went over them.
The National highway from Kundapura to Gokarn is also bad and some patch work is going on.
The Murudeshwar beach is clean and good and is a drive in beach!! You can easily take your vehicle right into the beach. The sand is firm enough to give us enough traction. My elder son was lucky enough to spot a star fish that had washed ashore. After a nice petting it was let back into the sea.
Next day morning we went to Gokarn which is 90 kms towards north and after visiting the temples we drove back to Udupi. Next day afternoon from Udupi we went to Sringeri on our return journey.
A word of caution. There seems to be some sort of fuel mafia running in the Manipal to Balehonnur sector. Most of the bunks do not supply diesel. As we enter the bunk, the attender starts waving at us indicating that there is no stock of diesel. But as the private busses enter the bunk they get to fill up their tanks! With fuel guzzlers this could be a real problem. Some taxi drivers were seen fighting with the bunk attenders over this. So, please top up in Udupi itself.

There are no milestones or signposts from Belur upto K R Nagar. But when you are driving from K R Nagar side you get to see the signposts and the milestones. So when we are coming back it creates anxiety about the route and distance. Hope the authorities notice this and put the signposts.
After a hurried dinner in Hassan, we reached Mysore at around 11 pm. The total distance covered in 3 days was 1100 kms. Average fuel consumption @ 11 kms per litre of diesel.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th January 2009 at 18:31.
Old 7th January 2009, 11:53   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Yes BLR-TUMKUR-ARASIKERE-SHIMOGA. Travelling thru tavera should not be a problem.
The distance is approximately 280Kms frm Bangalore. But I have no idea as whatz the distance from shimoga to Kollur is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasd75 View Post
Sushrutha,

Thanks a million for replying. Since you are basically from Chikmagalur, I guess it is an oft-used route for you

Correct me if I am wrong, but dont I have to drive through Hassan (and not the bye-pass road) to get onto Belur/Halebid road?

Again, many thanks for the reassurance on the route.

Regards,
Suhas
Yes I'm from Chikmagalur, Often I travel to my native , say atleast 1-2 times a month ;-)
To reach belur,
You have 3 options at Hassan.
1. Travel thru city n reach Belur road
2. Take the bye pass road and reach the belur-Chikmagalur Road
3. Take the Hassan - Halebeedu-Belur Road Via ISRO ( for this road I don't have much directions, PM Rjstles(RIJU) he had recently travelld in this route
Hope this helps

Last edited by sushrutha : 7th January 2009 at 11:54.
Old 7th January 2009, 14:56   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasd75 View Post
I had one more query on the same: I am a bit confused on how to take the Belur road. It has been a long while since I visited Belur.
Suhas I suggest that you take the Hassan route and get to Belur. Its and wonderful stretch and you will enjoy every bit of this stretch. Well laid, marked and paved road and hardly any fools jumping in and coming in on the wrong lane.

You could use the bye-pass and not touch Hassan town to get to the Belur road.

The 2nd route is the Hassan - Halebeedu stretch which takes you directly to Halebeedu and from there on you come and reach Belur cross again.This is the route via the MCF (Master Control Facility) in Hassan.

This road is pretty narrow and takes you thru a lot of small villages/town.
You prolly could go thru my travelogue here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...tion-time.html

and check if its of any help to you.
Old 9th January 2009, 13:45   #367
Senior - BHPian

I feel bored if this thread has no activity..lol

i guess the strikes called by oil PSU has stopped our usual route related queries

Luckily i could tank up one day before the strike even started(since i travel with my infant, didnt want any last min planning)

Hope the petrol pumps in Udupi are functioning normally.. since my Swift makes always makes sure that she has fresh petrol by making the tank fully empty on any long drives

As of now i decided to stick to madikeri route and my return(coming week) might be either via agumbe or charmadi as per feedback received from you guys

i will update on this more
Old 9th January 2009, 14:41   #368
Senior - BHPian

Raj, it seems the KSRTC buses is no more taking Shiradi route, so guess the only option they have is via madikeri.

So you can expect the traffic to be little high...

I think Shiradi would be in complete mess so wont suggest anyone taking that route...
Old 9th January 2009, 15:34   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Raj, it seems the KSRTC buses is no more taking Shiradi route, so guess the only option they have is via madikeri.

So you can expect the traffic to be little high...

I think Shiradi would be in complete mess so wont suggest anyone taking that route...
Not just KSRTC..i heard even private buses are taking this route

Avoid shiradi at any cost..unless you are taking someone Else's car
Old 9th January 2009, 17:08   #370
BHPian

It's only Volvo buses (Airavat's and Ballal Tourist, Manjunath RoadLines) that are allowed to take the Madikeri route, and other private contract carriages are made to go through the Shiradi Ghat section itself.
Old 9th January 2009, 17:13   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
It's only Volvo buses (Airavat's and Ballal Tourist, Manjunath RoadLines) that are allowed to take the Madikeri route, and other private contract carriages are made to go through the Shiradi Ghat section itself.
namaskar Kamath maam

My BIL came in sugama motors(via udupi) normal AC sleeper and he came via mysore road..so i felt all the buses are taking this route
Old 9th January 2009, 17:33   #372
BHPian

Sorry. That's news to me then. Didn't spot any of the regular private buses on Mysore Road during my last drive to B'lore 4 days back. In any case, this route is going to be a boon, for the life of these buses, what with their rear portions torn off like paper :(.
Old 9th January 2009, 17:46   #373
BHPian

A mini picnic spot

Just an FYI, in case any of you do a day trip. This spot is located after Sullia (towards Mysore), and serves as a nice picnic spot. There's a path leading to the stream, and you could have a snack or two (and remember not to litter too, hehe).

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-image0017.jpg  

Old 11th January 2009, 10:24   #374
Senior - BHPian

I heard Shiradi ghat is in very bad state and chances of repairing it almost impossible because of bad political willness :(

I travelled from Darmasthala to Kukke Subramanya, the stretch we have to travel around NH48 is horrible and also roads around B C Road - Mangalore not good, I don't understand when Karnataka get good roads? We pay more tax but no use at all.

When we enter Karnataka from Keral we can easily make out we entered Karnataka by road surface, its same story when we come from Tamil Naadu and same experience around Belgaum while coming from Maharastra too.

Road quality in Karnataka is worst considerring revenue it generates and tax it sucks from public.

Ravi.
Old 12th January 2009, 09:50   #375
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys

i just did a trip from Bangalore-udupi via Madikeri and went via mangalore

I must say the road is in excellent shape(except for say around 10+ kms in madikeri-sampage stretch, rest of the road is great

I also saw fresh road is being laid and they have reached almost till sampage

though narrow i didnt find much traffic, so pleasure to drive

Kamath maam, you were right, i think only few pvt buses take this route

In the morning i found only 3 buses(durgamba,sugama,manjunath) and rest of the buses are taking charmadi it seems

As per plan i have left my car behind and took durgamba yesterday night and it came via charmadi and reached pretty much on time(7:15 i was at home)

Next week i am travelling again and this time on my return, planning to come via agumbe route as suggested :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks