Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2018, 13:45   #7801
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Some hope finally:
https://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...le24756663.ece

Quote:
The National Highways division of the State Public Works Department may thrown open the Shiradi Ghat road for light vehicles as well as passenger buses in consultation with the district administrations of Hassan and Dakshina Kannada shortly.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 09:08   #7802
BHPian

Yesterday on 25th August I took Virajpete- bhagamandala- Karike- panathur- cherkala route. On 24th evening I rode from Bangalore to virajpete. Stayed there at my relative's place and pass thalakavery reserve forest in the morning (8-9oclock). Roads were good for travel.
I think those who want to go to Mangalore city proper or south of Mangalore ( upto kanhangad) can definitely consider this route. Traffic Was light and manageable at the time of passage.
At 2 or 3 spots only one car can pass at a time.

Today I'll be traveling from Kumble to Bangalore. I don't intend to take the virajpete road. I am still deciding on charmadi or Sringeri road.

Google aunty says charmadi is better.
gauravanekar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 22:13   #7803
BHPian

Just now reached reach her home. I took charmadi ghat. Traffic was there but not too much. Always moving traffic no jam. The roads in the ghats have gone very bad. Low gc cars should be very careful. In fact compact SUVs also need to take care.
Old 27th August 2018, 02:53   #7804
BHPian

Drove back to Bangalore today. Took the following route Mangalore-Padubidri-Nitte-Bajagoli-Kudremukh-Kalasa-Kottigehara-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore. 460kms door to door.

The roads were absolutely fantastic except for the stretch between Kottigehara and Mudigere turn. This was a leisurely drive and i took 10.5 hours with close to 2 hours break. Started at 2:30pm and reached at 1am.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 11:56   #7805
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,
I am planning a solo visit to Mangalore . I will be reaching Mangalore on morning [ Flight from hyd] and one place I am directed to visit is Kukke Subramanya temple. Apart from it, what are the other places of interest , apart from temples ! I am thinking to engage a Zoom car and I have 2 days.

Any recommendations of place of stay in addition to places of interest are highly helpful !
Thanks in advance !

Last edited by poised2drive : 3rd September 2018 at 11:57.
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:26   #7806
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
I am planning a solo visit to Mangalore . I will be reaching Mangalore on morning [ Flight from hyd] and one place I am directed to visit is Kukke Subramanya temple. Apart from it, what are the other places of interest , apart from temples ! I am thinking to engage a Zoom car and I have 2 days.
Pilikula Nisargadhama (zoo, water park, lake etc)
http://www.pilikula.com/

Panambur Beach (watersports + beach)
http://www.panamburbeach.com

Suratkal Beach (temple + beach + lighthouse + rock climbing)

Kadri Park (musical fountain + park)

Summer Sands Beach Resort (seaside accommodation)
http://www.summersands.in/
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:50   #7807
BHPian

I always loved Pabbas icecream when in Mangalore, a little known local secret is the Achal dry fruits center where the Banana halwa, Wheat halwa and Pepper cashewnuts are amazing.
Old 3rd September 2018, 16:35   #7808
Senior - BHPian

+ 1 to Pabbas. We love it, and have never missed an opportunity to visit while at Mangalore.

Outside of the Kukke temple, you can also do a quick dash to Udipi temple. Smartcat has provided the reco's already.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 16:45   #7809
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Planning to travel to Karkala for Ganesha Chaturthi. Plan is to start on 12th evening and reach by midnight. Any suggestions on which route to take considering the current situation and night travel?
Old 4th September 2018, 16:54   #7810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Hello Folks,

Planning to travel to Karkala for Ganesha Chaturthi. Plan is to start on 12th evening and reach by midnight. Any suggestions on which route to take considering the current situation and night travel?
The Mudigere - Kalasa - Kuduremukha - Bajagoli - Karkala will hold good.

But remember that due to closure of Shiradi and state of Charmadi, most of the buses are taking both these routes. You will need at least 8-9 hours to reach Karkala and that means you will have to advance your start by few hours because you don't want to face the outgoing traffic from Mangalore that you will encounter from till Bajagoli (Buses doing Mangalore BC Road Guruvayanakere Naravi Bajagoli to take on Kuduremukha route).

Only today, there was an article in Deccan Herald on how Charmadi is taking a toll on the bus journey mainly due to deteriorating road conditions coupled with increase in traffic in both directions.

Having said that, even Charmadi works an option for Karkala where the Ghat section is mainly limited to Kottigehara till Ujire post which roads get faster whereas on Kuduremukha route winding roads will begin right from Kottigehara and end only at SK Border.

The only thing you need to work out is a plan where you can start in a way that you dont face outgoing buses originating from Mangalore.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th September 2018 at 16:56.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 18:27   #7811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The Mudigere - Kalasa - Kuduremukha - Bajagoli - Karkala will hold good.
Thanks Parag Bhai.

Is the forest road closed at night in the Kudremukh stretch? Also, I guess that is a bit of a secluded road with minimal night traffic.

Guess, as you suggested, it would be better to plan a 2 PM start, so that I can reach by 10 or so.
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 18:29   #7812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Thanks Parag Bhai.

Is the forest road closed at night in the Kudremukh stretch? Also, I guess that is a bit of a secluded road with minimal night traffic.

Guess, as you suggested, it would be better to plan a 2 PM start, so that I can reach by 10 or so.
In general the Samse to SK Border via Kuduremukha has no restrictions at night:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I just checked about this restriction with my classmate from Samse. He in turn called his folks and called back to inform that there is no restriction on Entry from both the sides.

There was a proposal for this but locals refused since this is the only connecting road between Chikmagalur and South Canara/Udupi from Kalasa and almost a lifeline.

I remember when another BHPian drove to Kuduremukha last year too, I called this chap to check on the restrictions because he was leaving Bangalore at 8PM and that would mean he would be at Samse around 2AM and my friend confirmed that there was no restriction.

Since you travelled recently I called him to check on this and he took time and called me back now inform that it's all clear.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 18:43   #7813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Pilikula Nisargadhama (zoo, water park, lake etc)
http://www.pilikula.com/

Panambur Beach (watersports + beach)
http://www.panamburbeach.com

Suratkal Beach (temple + beach + lighthouse + rock climbing)

Kadri Park (musical fountain + park)

Summer Sands Beach Resort (seaside accommodation)
http://www.summersands.in/
Thanks Smartcat !

Couple of friends are tagging along and they are interested to visit Murudeshwar , but I see, Kukke/Dharmastala is on the East and Murudeshwar is on North.

What would be the best route to take for a two day road trip, given the ghat sections ?

Any input regarding places worth seeing/ avoidable in between Mangalore-Kukke-Murudeshwar will be highly appreciated !

Last edited by poised2drive : 4th September 2018 at 18:45.
Old 5th September 2018, 08:37   #7814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Couple of friends are tagging along and they are interested to visit Murudeshwar , but I see, Kukke/Dharmastala is on the East and Murudeshwar is on North.
Right. So you either choose Murudeshwar or Kukke and Dharmasthala.

The roads leading to Murudeshwara will be mostly straight, 4 lane nearly till Maravanthe and under expansion beyond that. This is a very scenic route, hugging the west coast at many places and some good beaches too.

Quote:
What would be the best route to take for a two day road trip, given the ghat sections ?
Mangalore - BC Road - Guruvayanakere - Belthangady - Ujire - Dharmasthala - Aithoor - Kukke

In this, your only concern should be the road connecting Kukke from the intersection of Mangalore - Bangalore highway. Due to rains in last few weeks, this was not in great shape. However, with dry spell over he last 2 weeks, things should have improved.

Between the 2 (Murudeshwara & Dharmasthala/Kukke), the former will be a temple, mostly good roads and beaches and backwaters here and there. You will also pass Udupi and Kundapura if you did Murudeshwara.

While with the latter, it will strictly be a temple run and winding roads all the way.

So choosing between the two really depends on what you want - Purely temple run or some good places (Beaches/Food) to club with it.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 08:58   #7815
BHPian

Looks like Shiradi will open today.

Latest Update on Deccan Herald today:
https://www.deccanherald.com/state/s...ht-691147.html
rahulb22 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks