Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2020, 08:02   #8551
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
In addition to my earlier post, also wanted to know about the condition of the road from Sakleshpur to Mudigere via Hanbal, if anyone has travelled on this stretch. Forgot to ask this earlier. The resort is located close to Hanbal.
Hasana to Sakaleshapura is not as bad as it was probably a month ago. The Hasana to Ballupete stretch is the one that's bad now. Ballupete to Sakaleshapura is patched up. Unless you have some work in Sakaleshapura (which I had last week) I would suggest you stick to Hasana-Beluru-Jannapura-Hanubalu route. It would be around 20 kms additional but it'll take almost the same time.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 13:11   #8552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
If possible, try to do it via Charmadi. A Bhpian who went to Mangaluru today in a Vento reported very bad roads between Hassan to BC road except for the concrete stretch.
Thanks. I did Charmadi, started at Udupi around 5:45AM and reached V.B.Layout around 1PM (with 3-4 breaks). Road was smooth and traffic was sparse...
Old 21st November 2020, 15:14   #8553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Our family drove from Bengaluru to my native place on 14th. We were in 2 cars - I was driving an SUV and my BIL was driving a City. While I took the Hasana-Sakaleshapura road whil my BIL came via Beluru. Must say the road after Hasana till Sakaleshapura is in a way better condition than it was a month ago. Many areas have been patched up. Of course have to drive slowly but it is manageable. Hatchbacks/SUVs will have no real problems. Even Sedans can drive (albeit a little slowly). Bengaluru city roads are in a worse condition than this honestly.

One other advantage on the Beluru route is that the newly opened Shell fuel station between Gonibeedu and Jannapura is operational now
How is the road condition now after Sakaleshpur? When i travelled in Sept, except for the concrete stretch, all other stretch of tar road was in shambles till BC road.
Old 21st November 2020, 15:46   #8554
Distinguished - BHPian

Just did Bangalore - Udupi via Charmadi on my Vento, roads are pretty good, except some minor patches. We left Bangalore at 7:45 am and were in Udupi by 4:30 Pm, with around 3 breaks..
Old 21st November 2020, 16:15   #8555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
How is the road condition now after Sakaleshpur? When i travelled in Sept, except for the concrete stretch, all other stretch of tar road was in shambles till BC road.
Continues to be in same condition. Bhpian porschefire came through this stretch on Tuesday and said it was horrible to drive. He was on a Vento and took close to 10 hours from Udupi to Bangalore.
The problem can be compounded if you are stuck behind the trailers and slow moving trucks.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 16:29   #8556
Team-BHP Support

Now Bangalore traffic is fully back with the vengeance. Just getting out Bangalore takes one hour. Last few months I had gotten used to light traffic.

How did this happen considering large numbers of IT people work from home?
Old 21st November 2020, 17:38   #8557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Now Bangalore traffic is fully back with the vengeance. Just getting out Bangalore takes one hour. Last few months I had gotten used to light traffic.

Peak hour traffic in IT areas is certainly light relatively. But on the weekend all the "junta" doing WFH during weekdays certainly hit the roads and that's why very heavy traffic on roads.
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:36   #8558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

It's simple! Now everybody wants to drive. Nobody wants to travel in buses or trains with the risk of contracting Covid.
Old 24th November 2020, 22:08   #8559
BHPian

I traveled to Bisle ghat this weekend via Bangalore - Nelamangala - Channarayapattana. The road post Channaraypattana is undivided 2-lane with decent surface condition. There is a half KM untarred section before Patla Betta trek point (while going towards Udupi), drivable for any kind of car.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 11:40   #8560
BHPian

I traveled to Moodbidri from Bangalore yesterday via Hassan -> Sakleshpur -> Dharmastala -> Venoor -> Moodbidri in an Innova.

Latest road conditions as follows:
Bangalore to Hassan: Remains good as always
Hassan to Balupete: In bad shape. Cars with low Ground Clearance have to be careful
Balupete to start of Concrete section: Mostly patched up. Much better than before though the ride is a bit bumpy
Gundya to Dharmastala diversion: About 8-10 small sections in real bad shape, some of them being pretty deep potholes
Dharmastala diversion to Moodbidri: Very decent road except few negligible bad sections
Overall, the road seems to be 'less worse' than a month ago

I guess if your destination is Moodbidri/Karkala, Charmadi is still a better option.
Old 30th November 2020, 12:10   #8561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Just did Bangalore - Udupi via Charmadi on my Vento, roads are pretty good, except some minor patches. We left Bangalore at 7:45 am and were in Udupi by 4:30 Pm, with around 3 breaks..
Could you please share details on the Charmadi - Udupi stretch? Was this via Belman - Bajagoli?
Old 30th November 2020, 12:20   #8562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Could you please share details on the Charmadi - Udupi stretch? Was this via Belman - Bajagoli?
If done via Charmadi, you have the following choices:
  1. Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Padubidre - Udupi
  2. Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Venoor - Moodabidre- Mulki - Padubidre - Udupi
  3. Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Shirva - Katpadi - Udupi
  4. Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Hiriyadka - Udupi
As of today, my personal pick would be 1 and 3. Also, your choices to reach Udupi will split first right after crossing Guruvayanakere (whether to be done via Karkala or Moodabidre) or right at Karkala (whether to do via Padubidre or Shirva).

Honestly, between 1 and 2, it is not much difference. Except the Shirva route, all of them really pass Karkala from the outside without you having to enter and exit the town with seemingly narrow roads (and then follow the buses that may have just started from Karkala).
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 13:40   #8563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I took, Charmadi - Belthagandy - Bajagoli.

Roads are decent, very minimal part was being laid, and sometimes it becomes a bit narrow, but easily doable. I was on pretty well loaded Vento and had 0 underbelly hit.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 16:32   #8564
BHPian

Team, Any idea about shiradi-Udupi route? Is it still worse?

For some reason I prefer Shiradi over any other route, Hence the question
livyodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 23:13   #8565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Team, Any idea about shiradi-Udupi route? Is it still worse?

For some reason I prefer Shiradi over any other route, Hence the question
You are not the only one! I love the Shiradi route. It feels like I reach faster than the other routes no matter the potholes on the road.

I stayed in Udupi for 2 weeks. While going I took the BLR-Hassan-Charmadi-Belthangady-Nitte-Padubidri-Udupi. No hassles whatsoever! Scenic sunset, listening to Coldplay while driving down the road set the tone for relaxing 2 weeks of working from home.

The trouble started on the way back. I wanted to take the Shiradi road though my dad, my mom, my dad's driver, my inner voice after reading the recent comments about Shiradi and every sign on the road said 'you are going to need a day off if you take this road'. Till the time I reached Sakleshpur, I enjoyed every second of the drive. The roads from Mangalore to Gundya are recently patched up and are in drivable condition.

The trouble is from Sakleshpur to Hassan. A friend had told me that driving the Aventador is like getting your inner organs rearranged with a provisional fund for a hip replacement surgery. Let's just say that it felt like driving an Aventador for 24 hours straight.

Like everyone else said, don't take this road unless if you have work around the area. Or if you can put up 90 minutes of terrible roads (what's left of it).
ka51resident is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed