Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:18   #8506
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I saw some news on the net that patchwork has started between Gundya & BC Road. I request anyone who has travelled recently to confirm.

Cheers
Rahulb22
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:55   #8507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Mysore Madikeri Sullya works best for you since destination is Manjeshwar. Any other route means inviting motion sickness, with Shiradi in bad state and Bisile being twisty too.
Thank you

While taking a look at the maps, B'lore--Madikeri--Sullia--Jalsoor-- Cherkala also popped up.

Is the road condition good on the Jalsoor--Cherkala route too?
Also, which would be checkpost to look out for while entering Kerala section; need to register for e-pass and hence the query.
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:23   #8508
BHPian

Please suggest the best route from Bangalore to Hebri.

Few post here suggests that Sringeri agumbe route is twisty and slower compared to charmadi.

Is there a route where I can take charmadi and take a detour somewhere to hit hebri directly and not travel all the way till Udupi?

Or is agumbe is the right route to take since hebri is on the foot hill of agumbe.
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:42   #8509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Please suggest the best route from Bangalore to Hebri.

Few post here suggests that Sringeri agumbe route is twisty and slower compared to charmadi.

Is there a route where I can take charmadi and take a detour somewhere to hit hebri directly and not travel all the way till Udupi?

Or is agumbe is the right route to take since hebri is on the foot hill of agumbe.
1. Charmadi:
You can go from Karkala to Hebri in this case(not sure about the stretch between karkala to Hebri)
2. Agumbe:
Nothing wrong with Agumbe, since your destination is almost on the foothills.
Unless you or passengers have aversion to twisties, this seem to be the shortest route. Also the curvy roads are from Vastare all the way till beginning of Agumbe which can slow you down.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 15:57   #8510
BHPian

All, my brother’s family has to drive back to Mangalore tomorrow morning. While coming he took the usual Shiradi route and my sister in law has motion sickness. Any feedback on the Mysore - Madikeri - Sullia route ? Thanks in advance.
Old 25th October 2020, 16:39   #8511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
All, my brother’s family has to drive back to Mangalore tomorrow morning. While coming he took the usual Shiradi route and my sister in law has motion sickness. Any feedback on the Mysore - Madikeri - Sullia route ? Thanks in advance.

Drove Bangalore- Madikeri- Sullia- Jalsoor-Cherkala Yesterday.
Took paragsachania's advise and glad we did so. thanks Sir

Bangalore to Madikeri:

via Srirangapatna bypass was our route. The bypass has a few stretches of broken roads as well as small potholes in the stretch between Yelawala & Hunsur (not too bad; with an XUV500 didn't break a sweat). Post 4km from Hunsur, the roads are super good all the way till Madikeri. The climb to Madikeri (last ~8km) is curvy though not hairpin curves. I chose to drive slow with max @50-60km/h which worked for us.

Madikeri to Jalsoor:

We took the descent from Madikeri (~10km) slow since it was definitely curved. Form thereon the roads were well paved & smooth, though slightly curvy at times. Maintained a speed of 60-80 kmh and my family were a happy lot (motion-sick, they are). Far better than Shiradi, in our opinion. We took a turn to Kerala via Cherakala road at Jalsoor, so not sure of the stretch from their on to Mangalore.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by vinjosep : 25th October 2020 at 16:41.
vinjosep is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 17:18   #8512
Senior - BHPian

Speed Traps on NH75

Yesterday, while travelling to Bengaluru, I encountered police patrol vehicles fitted with speed sensing cameras (Innova) at three places. The first one was on the Chennarayapatna Bypass, the second near Kunigal and the last just before Solur. While passing the last two, I was clearly over the speed limit of 80, although by a slight margin. The cops weren't stopping any cars, but as one of them was standing outside and monitoring, I will have to wait and see if the over speeding tickets land up at my doorstep by post.

In over ten years of driving this route, this is the first time I have seen them. However, most of my journeys have been during early morning or late at night and hence I might have missed the surveillance.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 20:32   #8513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Speed Traps on NH75

Yesterday, while travelling to Bengaluru, I encountered police patrol vehicles fitted with speed sensing cameras (Innova) at three places. The first one was on the Chennarayapatna Bypass, the second near Kunigal and the last just before Solur. While passing the last two, I was clearly over the speed limit of 80, although by a slight margin. The cops weren't stopping any cars, but as one of them was standing outside and monitoring, I will have to wait and see if the over speeding tickets land up at my doorstep by post.

In over ten years of driving this route, this is the first time I have seen them. However, most of my journeys have been during early morning or late at night and hence I might have missed the surveillance.
These Innovas have been at the said spots for quite a long time and they aren't doing the job of speed cameras. These are highway Patrol vehicles and cops in Khakhi flag down 2 wheelers mostly and at times 4 wheelers which have visible violations (seat belts, overcrowded Maruti Vans, Trax etc).

You can read more about the features of these Patrol vehicles here.

How I wish they make use of the cameras for the same but then you still have been the Wingers, Taveras and Trax fulfilling this job for every town and district police.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th October 2020 at 20:36.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 09:03   #8514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
[center][b]Yesterday, while travelling to Bengaluru, I encountered police patrol vehicles fitted with speed sensing cameras (Innova) at three places.
I have seen these Innovas acting as a Pilot car for local politicians cars. I was driving back from Mangalore few weeks back and there was a heavily tinted Fortuner in front of me which had the unofficial “Grama Panchayiti Adhyaksha” green strip above the number plate. It was not a Government car but a private one. The first Innova acted as a pilot car for the Fortuner between Hassan - Channarayapatna, the second one between Channarayapatna - Solur and the third one between Solur - Nelamangala. The only advantage for the other road users that day was that they created a free passage for this Fortuner by forcing slow moving vehicles to the left lane and everyone else (including me) made a good use of it

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 26th October 2020 at 09:06.
guyfrmblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 20:16   #8515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post

Hope this helps.
Dear Vinjosep, thanks a lot for the suggestion, my brother took the Jayanagar- RR nagar (had a passenger pick up) - Nelamangala- Nagamangala- pandavapura- s’patna- Madikeri- Puttur- Kalladaka- Mangalore. His feedback was that this route is definitely better than Shiradi for sure with more relaxed drive and better roads. Only fly in the ointment is that as it’s a 2 lane road, overtaking has to be planned and patience pays.
Old 1st November 2020, 01:19   #8516

Did a up and down trip from BLR to MLR.
Onward journey took the BLR - Srirangapatna - Madikeri - Sampaje - Puttur - Mani - Kalladka - BC Road- MLR. The Bangalore-Mysore road is pretty busy and the diversions slows down but once you get to Kushalnagar its all smooth till Mani. From Mani to BC Road the roads are bad but its a relief from BC Road to MLR as the road is good. Took regular breaks (1 in Srirangapatna for coffee, another coffee / bio break in Madikeri and a tender coconut relief break in Puttur). Started 7.30 AM from Jaynagar-Reached Mangalore at around 3.00 pm. Only one toll and that too just near MLR.

Return journey took the MLR-BC Road-Bantwal-Belthangady-Charmadi-Belur-Hassan-BLR
The Bantwal-Belthangady stretch is disturbing due to road widening work. Too many vehicles till Ujire. Charmadi is charming, the points of landslides have been worked over.
This route is the best option as of now. Started at around 8.30 am. Reached BLR at around 4.00 pm. Two breaks . Coffee break at Banakal and Lunch break at Anagha grand near CR Patna. The rush in tolls (after Hassan) were moderate but a bit heavy at NICE entry.
reachmallya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 19:42   #8517
BHPian

Completed MLR-BLR-MLR trip.

Took the Charmadi route. Patch work was going on in the stretch between Mudigere and Kottigehara today.

I decided to take Guruvayanakere - Karkala - Padubidri route considering all the work going on in regular Bantwal - BC road stretch. This stretch is very rough all the way from Guruvayanakere to Bajagoli. There are some huge potholes as well and there are sections where you can only crawl. Every now and then for a few meters there is freshly laid tarmac. There is widening work happening in some sections as well.
Old 2nd November 2020, 00:17   #8518
BHPian

Those who have traveled on the BLR-HSN stretch in the last one month or so, have you noticed any interceptors? I had never seen any in the pre-covid era, but with the police dept and govt working hard to extract every possible cent from the people, I'd just like to be cautious.
Old 2nd November 2020, 13:06   #8519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Those who have traveled on the BLR-HSN stretch in the last one month or so, have you noticed any interceptors? I had never seen any in the pre-covid era, but with the police dept and govt working hard to extract every possible cent from the people, I'd just like to be cautious.
Interceptors were always there in pre-covid times too. Many of them didnt see it because this stretch was covered during weekends and early mornings. You can spot them in Hasana by-pass and CR Patna by-pass.
Old 2nd November 2020, 13:45   #8520
Senior - BHPian

My neighbor drove back from Mangalore last noon and he was stuck near Balupet for a good 2 hours due to the traffic jam that was created due to filling of potholes work. He said Sakaleshpur - Hassan stretch was an epic mess last noon and was completely tired by the time he reached Hassan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks