Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2020, 12:21   #8596
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvaisudheer View Post
Hello Folks,

I am planning to do a Karkala -> Gulbarga on 22nd Dec and the plan is to start in the late evenings from Karkala. Want to know the following:
1. Is Agumbe open for night traffic?
2. The route suggested by Google via NH-50 (625 kms)
3. Any other route suggestions is appreciated.

Admins,since my major worry is about Agumbe, I have posted this query here. At the same time, found this thread more active and current than the others I searched to get a response and suggestion on the route.

Thanks, Sudheer
A slightly more time-consuming but probably less-tiring option would be to take the coastal highway all the way up to Ankola and then go to Hubli from there. If you are planning for a night drive, you may want to consider this as opposed to Agumbe-Thirthahalli.
Old 18th December 2020, 15:08   #8597
BHPian

Travelled to Udupi on 10-Dec via Mysore-Coorg road and to say the road is poor is an understatement. It was terrible to say! Only the Coorg road was tolerable. God I am never ever gonna drive to Udupi/Mangalore, ever again!
xcentrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 19:50   #8598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
Travelled to Udupi on 10-Dec via Mysore-Coorg road and to say the road is poor is an understatement. It was terrible to say! Only the Coorg road was tolerable. God I am never ever gonna drive to Udupi/Mangalore, ever again!
Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate which part or location ? I have travel plans around that area soon.
Old 18th December 2020, 22:58   #8599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate which part or location ? I have travel plans around that area soon.
I have travelled from Coimbatore-Sathy-SamrajNagar-Mysore-Coorg-Mangalore-Udupi.

Only the Coorg and way to Mangalore was decent. The roads from Karnataka side of Sathy till Mysore was bad to worse. Most of the times the roads are either bad topping, potholed, or road between potholes.

While coming back, we took the Mangalore-Hassan-Bangalore-Krishnagiri HW and roads from Mangalore-Hassan is again bad but better compared to our onward journey.

Whatever road you take, I'm sure it's going to have more or less bad roads.

*This was the only trip which made me question my thinking of owning a better sedan a second guess. Xcent and DZire both struggled and I wouldn't be surprised if I have to change the suspension sooner.*
xcentrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 08:06   #8600
Distinguished - BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-smartselect_20201220075912_twitter.jpg
https://twitter.com/DVSadanandGowda/...965212160?s=09

DV Sadananda Gowda, the MP of Bengaluru North and former CM of Karnataka has tweeted yesterday that the central government will improve the connectivity between Bengaluru and Mangaluru by constructing tunnelled roads in the Shiradi Ghats at a cost of ₹10k crores. It'll supposedly consist of a 26km long tunnel, a tall bridge of 1.5km length and 6 other tunnels adding to 12.6kms. Travel time between the two cities is supposed to come down to 4-5 hrs after the completion of this project!

He also has tweeted that this was part of some major announcements made in a virtual meeting yesterday by surface minister Nithin Gadkari. Total value of highway ptojects announced in Karnataka is ₹1,16,144 crores!

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 20th December 2020 at 08:22.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 08:13   #8601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
by constructing tunnelled roads in the Shiradi Ghats at a cost of ₹10k crores. It'll supposedly consist a 26km long tunnel, a tall bridge of 1.5km length and 6 other tunnels adding to 12.6kms
At least to facilitate this dream project, we may see roads getting patched up further so the trucks carrying construction equipment and earth movers are able to travel properly.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 09:22   #8602
Senior - BHPian

The Shiradi ghat section takes maybe about 45-50 minutes now which can be reduced to 25 minutes if the tunnel happens. How does this translate to reducing the travel time by 2 hours? To do that, the other sections have to be fixed which can be done even now, without touching the ghats.

Is it really worth damaging the fragile ecology just to save 20 minutes of travel time.

PS: the Wikipedia page for Shiradi Ghat, reads as follows.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-screenshot_20201220091535.png

Looks like the current press release is inspired from this page.
samaspire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 09:35   #8603
Senior - BHPian

The environmental cost of constructing the underground pathway far exceeds whatever benefits the ruling dispensation claims will materialise from it. The tunnel project isn’t new: it was proposed earlier and then reproposed-repurposed during the reign of the previous Government in Karnataka. That notwithstanding, a ten thousand crore rupees idea is hard to let go - for anybody.

Just as the Shishila-Byrapura road expansion got stuck in legal hurdles, the Shiradi tunnels too most probably will. Some alert environmentalist will file a PIL and the project will tie itself in thousand knots. Despite Gadkariji’s presence and passion, I am sceptical of the project’s smooth implementation.

The question of connecting Bengaluru with the coastal districts could perhaps be tackled better by strengthening the two alternative modes of transport, viz the Railways and the Airways.

Weatherproofing the Sakaleshpura-Mangaluru railway line and increasing the frequency of trains on one hand and flying more numbers of UDAN flights at reasonable rates on the other, would not just help move men and materials swiftly, but also reduce the dependency and stress on road networks.

The Shiradi ghat houses invaluable and irreplaceable flora and fauna. We have already hacked into its internals under various guises. It would do a world of good if we desist from further digging it up and in the process, digging ourselves deep into an inescapable abyss.
dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:11   #8604

Travelled from Karkala to Bangalore on 18 Dec via charmadi ghat. Road condition was smooth with many places resurfaced recently.Left at 1.30 pm and reached Blr at 9.30 pm with a tea break of 30 min.
Old 23rd December 2020, 20:22   #8605
BHPian

Guys,
Which are some of the hygienic pure veg restaurants in this route?. I know Swathi delicacy is one. But any other option in/after Hasan (Towards Mangalore)?
adithya.kp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 20:34   #8606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Guys,
Which are some of the hygienic pure veg restaurants in this route?. I know Swathi delicacy is one. But any other option in/after Hasan (Towards Mangalore)?
Paakashala @ Yediyur comes up on the right just after Swathi at the next intersection (you can locate it on Google maps) . No crowd, Plenty of parking, clean loos, and decent food (super coffee).
keroo1099 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 07:43   #8607
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
If it is after Hassan, 'Mythri' at Sakleshpur OR 'Adithya' near Uppinangady are good pure vegetarian options.
JMaruru is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 08:52   #8608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
After Swati, my pick would undoubtedly be Mayura at Bellur cross.

If not this, Dhruvataare just another 5 minutes after crossing Swati is also excellent.

The point is, I am the last person to risk crossing the median for a breakfast on a busy weekend when there are still cars with Hazards driven in wrong direction around these places.

You will see such jokers very regularly in front of Swati and there have been quite a few accidents right at the median near Swati where few motorists avoid taking proper U Turn little ahead but prefer to take the wrong side to reach.

If you think even Bellur cross is too early, Hotel Raama at Hassan is the best choice (A2B comes 25 minutes before this). Raama would require a detour of 600 meters from the bypass but not a big deal at all.

You can refer to this list on my post earlier that also has Gmap locations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
A LOT of options have come up on this road, especially the stretch from Nelamnagala to Hassan. Thought it was best to consolidate the list and have handy to refer when queries regarding ideal locations to break for food is asked. Couple of them like Dhruvataare, Shree Rathnam, Anagha, Taj have come up in the last 6-8 months and definitely offer a a better experience when compared to typical Bus-stand hotels that once mushroomed this section.

(Click on any of the names in the list to get the Google-maps location)
Towards Mangalore:
  1. Udupi Garden
  2. Sambrama Hotel
  3. Annapoorneshwari Veg Restaurant
  4. Shark Food Court
  5. Radhakrishna Udupi
  6. Shiva Sagar - Average Rest Rooms
  7. New Anand Bhavan - Average Food & Rest Rooms, lots of buses stop here
  8. Taj Restaurant
  9. Kamat Upachar
  10. Kichchana Halli Mane
  11. Hotel Dhruvatare
  12. Shree Rathnam
  13. Hotel Mayura
  14. Hotel Anagha
  15. A2B
  16. Café 75
  17. Vidhata Restaurant - 3 Popular Dhabas here have now converted to proper restaurants next to each other

Inside Hassan:
  1. Mallige Residency
  2. Aishwarya Veg
  3. Sri Krishna
  4. Suvarna Regency
  5. Hotel Raama - Closest to Bypass
  6. Mayura International- Closest to Bypass

Hassan - Sakaleshpur - BC Road:
  1. The Ossoor
  2. Surabhi's Veg
  3. Mythri Restaurant
  4. Surabhi's NX
  5. Navarathna Pure Veg

Between Hassan - Bangalore:
  1. Suruchi Restaurant
  2. Sri Krishna Bhavan
  3. Kamat Upachar
  4. Murali Miltry Hotel
  5. Malgudi - Average Food and Rest rooms
  6. Mayura
  7. Adiga's Grand Veg
  8. Swati Delicacy - It is better to stop here than Mayura or Adiga's. Easy access from opposite side too
  9. Empire

Cafe Coffee Days:
  1. @ Bellur Cross - Towards Hassan
  2. @ Udyapura - Towards Bangalore
  3. @Jaladagere between Bellur Cross and Kunigal - Towards Bangalore

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th December 2020 at 09:02.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 08:54   #8609
BHPian

Need feedback on route & condition to travel from Bengaluru -> Sringeri temple -> Kundapura next week. Planning to start by 5am from here & reach the temple before noon.

Planning to take Bengaluru-Hassan-BaleHonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-kundapura as shown by Google Maps.

Will be travelling with a 3 year old.

Please share your inputs on the route, road conditions, potential breakfast & lunch options enroute.

Thank you.
Old 24th December 2020, 09:22   #8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Need feedback on route & condition to travel from Bengaluru -> Sringeri temple -> Kundapura next week. Planning to start by 5am from here & reach the temple before noon.

Planning to take Bengaluru-Hassan-BaleHonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-kundapura as shown by Google Maps.

Will be travelling with a 3 year old.

Please share your inputs on the route, road conditions, potential breakfast & lunch options enroute.

Thank you.
This route is perfectly OK. I traveled a couple of days back in the return direction (Kundapur - Bangalore). Road condition between Belur and Aldur is bad for about 3 to 4 km. If you want to avoid it, please take Belur - Chikmaglur - Aldur.

Just an FYI - Agumbe ghat has a good number of twisties in case if you or any of your co-travelers have motion sickness.

I think Parag had given all the available options for food in the above post.

Thank you so much, Parag. Your details are so accurate. Ibbani cafe (via Charmady) was damn good.
varunasok is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks