Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2021, 14:36   #8746
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
But my travel is on a Saturday which falls under the weekend curfew, so there is no relaxation time or any of the sorts, which leaves us without any room for escape.
Weekend curfew still allows movement from 6AM to 2PM for availing essential services. Those stores are also allowed to open on the weekends.

That said, for inter-district travel, someone might ask for emergency reason for your travel IF there's any checking going on (ask per several posts earlier, there isn't any checking before 2PM).
Old 21st June 2021, 15:23   #8747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Weekend curfew still allows movement from 6AM to 2PM for availing essential services. Those stores are also allowed to open on the weekends.

That said, for inter-district travel, someone might ask for emergency reason for your travel IF there's any checking going on (ask per several posts earlier, there isn't any checking before 2PM).
There are checks at Sakleshpur on regular basis during relaxation hours also except that these are random during these hours.

Also, no matter what our guidelines say, in the end you ar at the mercy of the district in charge who may have set a different set of guidelines.

That said, I would refrain myself from traveling on the weekend when it is curfew and prefer a weekday.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st June 2021 at 15:27.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 15:54   #8748
BHPian

I travelled from blr-manipal on thursday via Shiradi (was bored of charmadi). Took a diversion at uppinangadi to Karkala (Google was hell bent on me not going till Mangalore)

Was stopped at karkala at 2 check points, details were taken and was let go.

PS: Shiradi is best avoided given the traffic on a weekday that too early mornings was totally unexpected.
Old 26th June 2021, 21:43   #8749
BHPian

We did a Manipal-Blore drive today without any hassles. We wanted to do this yesterday ( with there being the weekend curfew ) but then an important meeting pushed our drive to today.

Except for cops at Hassan ( they didnt stop us ), there were no checks at all. Not sure what weekend curfew actually means with lot of shops being open till 2PM.

We drove via Charmadi - if its not raining heavily, the entire Charmadi to Mudigere stretch is heavenly. With less than normal traffic, it was a blissful drive.
explorer09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 12:55   #8750

Hey All, can you please tell me what is the best route to go from Mangalore to Bangalore as of now?
Old 28th June 2021, 18:25   #8751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathaicha View Post
Hey All, can you please tell me what is the best route to go from Mangalore to Bangalore as of now?
It all depends on your definition of 'Best'.

Shortest route is via the Shiradi ghats, road conditions are pretty good as of what i've seen last month when we travelled.

If you have an extra hour to kill, you can take the Charmadi ghat route which is a scenic delight especially during the monsoons now and latest pics are put up in a few posts earlier by shrintah_m2. The ghat road is twisty so if you are someone who enjoys driving in different road articulations, then Charmadi will suit you just fine.
alstonlobo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 21:31   #8752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathaicha View Post
Drove to Bangalore earlier this week and roads are in decent shape until Sakleshpur(via Shiradi). There are few places which have to be tackled with care on a low GC car, SUV will be just fine. Sakleshpur to Hassan has deviations due to ongoing 4 lane work and some dusty section too. Road until Sunday is quite good.

Charmadi is scenic, but to me Shiradi chat with new concrete road is drivers paradise. Spring season reminds me of driving through some of European country side. Shiradi is fastest but with Charmadi you get to drive longer on scenic roads

Sampaje is probably longest but may be worthy if you are driving towards Mysore road side of Bangalore.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 13:26   #8753
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Kundapura

Anyone done Bangalore - Kundapura recently? I am contemplating between the following routes:

a) Bangalore - Hiriyur - Tarikere - Thirthahalli - Siddapura - Kundapura

b) Bangalore - Hassan - Sringeri - Agumbe - Kundapura

Any recommendations, per latest road conditions?
Old 4th July 2021, 15:03   #8754

Had a query regarding the status of Lodges/Hotels in the Mangalore to Karwar belt.

I find myself having to travel along this route and I'd like to avoid calling on friends for stay (don't want to be the carrier, although I'm already vaccinated).

Could anyone shed light on the status of hotels in this region ?

All my travels and movement in these cities/towns can be planned to be completed by 2pm. It's only the stay that's a big question mark.
Old 5th July 2021, 09:33   #8755
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kundapura

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Anyone done Bangalore - Kundapura recently? I am contemplating between the following routes:

a) Bangalore - Hiriyur - Tarikere - Thirthahalli - Siddapura - Kundapura

b) Bangalore - Hassan - Sringeri - Agumbe - Kundapura

Any recommendations, per latest road conditions?
Hi cool_dube,

Just did route b) last Friday (3rd July) to Udupi and the road is in great condition. You could definitely consider the same.

Please note that after Hassan, I took Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Ballehonnur while google was suggesting a slightly different route. I wanted to stop for some Akki Roti at Ibanni Cafe

Also, there was a police check point at the Balehonnur Entry point mainly for checking vehicle documents.

Otherwise it was smooth sailing all through.

Rahulb22
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 16:08   #8756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Please note that after Hassan, I took Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Ballehonnur while google was suggesting a slightly different route. I wanted to stop for some Akki Roti at Ibanni Cafe
Thanks! That is a great idea indeed

BTW, did you do B'honnur - Agumbe via Sringeri or via Hariharapura? Google Maps seems to suggest the latter but I have always gone via the former earlier.
Old 7th July 2021, 11:24   #8757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
BTW, did you do B'honnur - Agumbe via Sringeri or via Hariharapura?
I did Kottigehara - B'honnur - Sringeri - Agumbe
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 14:27   #8758
Distinguished - BHPian

To Mangalore Via Bisle:

To Mangalore Via Bisle:

This route is excellent and very scenic. We took left from Hassan and went via Gorur. It started raining from this point. There was mist in most of this stretch. The road condition is good throughout except for occasional minor patches. But more importantly, it is very scenic. We stopped at multiple locations including the Bisle view point which is a 100m walk off the road. This might be little longer but really a good stretch to try.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20210710_074040.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20210710_082409.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-162602576313301.jpeg

Return was via Shiradi. It was raining again and the roads were good till the end of cement surface on the Shiradi ghat. After this its in a bad shape with potholes everywhere. Hope they get this repaired soon. Sakleshpur to Hassan has lot of deviations due to the road widening work.
arun_josie is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 19:32   #8759
Senior - BHPian

Took the Shiradi route to Mangalore last week. Although the roads are under construction before the ghats, its pretty much doable in a sedan.

Left Bangalore around 2:30pm and it was already dark while driving through Shiradi and raining continuously. Then the roads got foggy with low visibility and glaring headlights from trucks to add to the already blurry windshield.
Its better to start early from Bangalore and cover the Shiradi section before its gets dark.
Old 15th July 2021, 09:19   #8760
BHPian

Re: To Mangalore Via Bisle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
To Mangalore Via Bisle:
Thanks for the update. Just a question. Bisle was all good ? I am asking because there was a 2km stretch which had no tar nor concrete, only bolders. Is that also complete now ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks