Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2020, 16:16   #8581
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Road_Rover View Post
I haven't driven Shiraadi route after the patch work. But after reading many posts from the last weekend travelers I can already feel the road. I presume it is patched but still far from being smooth. And as long as I can't give myself a convincing answer why I shouldn't take Charmadi route I will continue to use Charmadi. At least in Charmadi I get the added advantage of absence of heavy trucks (at supersonic speed ).
Well to set your expectations right, patchwork being done in this stretch between Gundya-BC Road is just for namesake or rather you can`t call it to patchwork by any standards. It is shoddy, to say the least, however, it is still better than a road filled with craters. So it boils down to one's preference, if you are expecting a butter-smooth road then better off taking another route, but given the current condition, don`t expect them to be the best choice but rather a better one for sure

Last edited by DragonHawk : 10th December 2020 at 16:19.
Old 10th December 2020, 18:57   #8582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunasok View Post
Nelamangala - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Aldur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Kundapura.
Your other option is Nelamangala - Hiriyur - Ajjampur - Tarikere - Muduba - Agumbe - Kundapura. Lesser twisties in this route if you dont plan on stopping at Sringeri or any of the other locations on the other route. Rest stops would be
1) Aramane, Tarikere - https://goo.gl/maps/4BaYqAZfb2czk3qY7
2) Mayur, Someswara - https://goo.gl/maps/bTGXH2ouugY2dAV2A

If you are traveling with kids, then you could decide to stop at Sakrebyle OR if you are into birding, then mandagadde should be a good option given that its Dec.
procrj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 19:57   #8583

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Your other option is Nelamangala - Hiriyur - Ajjampur - Tarikere - Muduba - Agumbe - Kundapura. Lesser twisties in this route if you dont plan on stopping at Sringeri or any of the other locations on the other route. Rest stops would be
1) Aramane, Tarikere - https://goo.gl/maps/4BaYqAZfb2czk3qY7
2) Mayur, Someswara - https://goo.gl/maps/bTGXH2ouugY2dAV2A

If you are traveling with kids, then you could decide to stop at Sakrebyle OR if you are into birding, then mandagadde should be a good option given that its Dec.
Thank you so much, brother.

After reading Parag's multiple posts, decided to go via Charmady. While during my return journey, I may take the Agumbe ghats.

I have seen and stayed (JLR) at Sakrebyle last year. I agree with you. It is an amazing place for kids.

Mandagadde seems very tempting, probably will keep that for the next trip.
Old 10th December 2020, 22:04   #8584
BHPian

Hi,

Planning to drive to Mangalore in the weekend of 19th.

If my reading is right, roads aren't good, they aren't bad either. The Hassan to Shiradi is worse than Shiradi itself. All in all, it's doable, but not aspirational.

Did I copy right?

Cheers!
NS
Old 11th December 2020, 14:31   #8585
BHPian

Dear all,

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

I will be taking the below route:

Bangalore --> Hassan --> Belur --> Charmady --> Ujire --> karkala --> manipal.
Old 11th December 2020, 16:15   #8586
Distinguished - BHPian

Just completed this trip: Bangalore - Hiriyur - Shimoga (overnight halt at Royal Orchids) - Kollur - Baindur.

Enjoyed "Shimoga-Kollur-Baindur" route, hardly any traffic and road conditions are pretty decent. Roads are narrow, so there are chances of getting stuck behind a bus/truck but there are hardly any trucks/buses on these roads. Kollur - Baindur is awesome.

Royal Orchids hotel option was an added bonus.

Hiriyur - Shimoga was just about OK, it was done during night & heavy rain, so don't have much to say except it was safe enough even under poor visibility. There are good number of potholes - but should not be a problem during daytime. Thankfully there were no speed breakers, or it would be have been a disaster under such poor visibility. I might try Shimoga - Chitradurga on my return. Shimoga - CR Patna is another option but those roads have tons of speed breakers. No clear winner among these options I feel.
Old 11th December 2020, 21:49   #8587
Team-BHP Support

What is the traffic situation on NH75 (Hassan-Bangalore) due to farmer's protest? I am planning to drive tomorrow. TV news is saying there is huge blockage around toll booths.
Old 12th December 2020, 14:42   #8588
BHPian

Can we travel via Charmadi at night?
Old 12th December 2020, 20:40   #8589
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What is the traffic situation on NH75 (Hassan-Bangalore) due to farmer's protest? I am planning to drive tomorrow. TV news is saying there is huge blockage around toll booths.
There was no problem anywhere. The TV channels were just sensationalizing and turning mole hills into mountains.

Alright, I came via Shiradi today because I had to make some purchase in Mangalore. Traffic after BC road is really painful, until crossing uppinangadi. I usually come via Dharmasthala, to avoid this traffic. Now coming to the so called repairs of Shiradi route. It is really bad quality repair. Sure, there are no potholes anymore, but the road is full of undulations. It is really pathetic.

I suggest folks to stick to Charmadi or Aldur-Balehonnur route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Yes, you can.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 20:51   #8590
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Kukke yesterday. The stretch from Sakleshpur to Hassan is probably worse than the Shiradi itself. Since it was a time with very less traffic , we didn’t feel the pinch.

Return was the same route and my wife did the driving. Again , from Kukke till Sakleshpur was good and from Hassan onwards , it was a breeze.

And No, we didn’t notice absolutely any sign of anything remotely related to Farmers protest.
Old 13th December 2020, 21:21   #8591
BHPian

Anyone knows how good is Kanhangad - Bhagamandala stretch these days ?
Old 14th December 2020, 12:03   #8592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There was no problem anywhere. The TV channels were just sensationalizing and turning mole hills into mountains.
Did you encounter any KSRTC buses on this day? I drove to Hubli and realised due to ongoing strike I could not spot a single KSRTC or NWKRTC bus during the entire 400km stretch. This also made me realise why traffic too was on the higher side even during return on yesterday.

Quote:
Now coming to the so called repairs of Shiradi route. It is really bad quality repair. Sure, there are no potholes anymore, but the road is full of undulations. It is really pathetic.
I was expecting patchwork only to an acceptable level and I believe the feedback received concurred when few who drove said that its better. I also believe due to density of traffic that has only increased over time, the progress you make, especially when climbing up towards east is heavily compromised. The best times to drive really are the odd hours of the day where the same road would feel better to drive.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 09:01   #8593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Yes you can of course. But I would avoid if alone. The drive is very deserted and could be unsettling if stranded in a spot with little help and sometimes patchy cell coverage. I used to start pre dawn from BLR and reach Charmadi for the perfect Sunrise pic. Stopped that practice after on one occasion 3 bikes with 5 random guys, looked like locals with not much of an agenda, appeared out of the mist, clearly invading personal space boundaries, asking me for a peek through my DSLR, peering into the open windows of my parked car nearby. Overall : May be they were well meaning folks who were just curious, or may be not. The dawn stops at Charmadi were not heard of again. Just not comfortable.
Old 17th December 2020, 18:32   #8594
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I am planning to do a Karkala -> Gulbarga on 22nd Dec and the plan is to start in the late evenings from Karkala. Want to know the following:
1. Is Agumbe open for night traffic?
2. The route suggested by Google via NH-50 (625 kms)
3. Any other route suggestions is appreciated.

Admins,since my major worry is about Agumbe, I have posted this query here. At the same time, found this thread more active and current than the others I searched to get a response and suggestion on the route.

Thanks, Sudheer
Old 17th December 2020, 18:39   #8595
Team-BHP Support

Agumbe is never closed. But fog is a major problem at night in this time. So it could be difficult to drive through.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed