Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2018, 00:59   #7741
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Local news channels were showing images of cave-in beside the new concrete road in some places where the road passes beside a stream. Also, near curves, the vertical gap between concrete road and the shoulder was almost a foot. If you are planning to take the road, better to do so in daylight and at very cautious speeds.
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 10:41   #7742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Yes. Found newly laid tarmac at many places. Few patches here and there are still in poor condition. The roads are good and dependable for most part but real test (read: monsoon) lies ahead. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the route is desolate. Had I read the comments before the drive I'd have avoided this route but we were lucky to see some of the most remote and scenic expanses of western ghats surrounded by dense forest in full glory.
Seeing your suggestion I took the risk and went ahead with Bisile, only to find the road closed after bisile view point. As per localites the road had been dug for over two months now. Few hours before Bisile, I took a chance and went ahead to try Shiradi. I was denied entry at Manjarabad. Will be taking Shiradi tomorrow for return journey. Road from Hassan to Sakleshlur has already deteriorated and doubt if it can take the regular traffic. Same applies to Mani-Gundya.
Old 15th July 2018, 13:32   #7743
BANNED

Road is blocked till 3pm.waiting for the inauguration by idiots.Returning back via charmadi.
Old 16th July 2018, 07:34   #7744
Senior - BHPian

Trust our authorities to mess up things even after (supposed) meticulous preparation. Shiradi ghat will be out of bounds for heavy vehicles till the shoulders and side walls are completed, reports Kannadaprabha. So, it is ultimately a tale of paying for a full meal and being told that the main course isn't available because the chef threw open the eatery even before the pots and pans could be kept on the stove .

A look at the condition of the road yesterday as published in the said paper.
Attached Images

dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 09:36   #7745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Seeing your suggestion I took the risk and went ahead with Bisile, only to find the road closed after bisile view point.
Extremely sorry for my misguided suggestion. I returned after this - completely shrouded in thick clouds. My comments about the road condition was until that point. I should not have mentioned Kukke Subramanya (instead of just the view point) as it seems to have given a wrong notion, which wasn't my intention. I should also have made that clear when I quoted Rajesh.

Anyway, at this juncture I can only apologise to you and anyone who wasted valuable time and money by taking this route. I request mods to please edit my post to indicate it.
strawhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 14:44   #7746
BHPian

Quote:
Road from Hassan to Sakleshlur has already deteriorated and doubt if it can take the regular traffic. Same applies to Mani-Gundya.
Wow, that almost defeats the good intentions of opening Shiradi. I feel our woes will continue till Sakaleshpur - Bantwal stretch expansion gets completed. Even Uppinangadi - Puttur stretch was in bad shape (most part, except newly widened) when I last checked.
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 19:04   #7747
Senior - BHPian

Came back to Bangalore via Shiradi. Being Monday it was blissful drive. Took mere 4 hour 30 minutes to reach Nelamangala toll from Puttur.
The ghat road is good throughout, new section barrier work and shoulder work is pending. Since the traffic was less, this was not a concern. Road from Uppinangadi to Gundya is ok and 4 lane work has impacted road until Nelyadi. Expect these to deteriorate with full traffic. Stretch from Sakleshlur till beginning of concrete section is worse. While it has been patched, definitely is going to be in bad state once the traffic is in full flow.
Papers mentioned that trucks and buses are banned until shoulder/barrier work is done, however KSRTC Airavatas, oil tankers were running freely today. Night driving will need a lot of attention given that you know how night buses drive.
PrideRed is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 22:31   #7748
BHPian

Quote:
Road from Uppinangadi to Gundya is ok.
Thanks for the update . Stretch between sakleshpura and the place where concrete starts has never been asphalted properly till recently, I think.
How is the road condition between Puttur and Uppinangadi?

Last edited by _chikku : 16th July 2018 at 22:34.
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 09:30   #7749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Thanks for the update . Stretch between sakleshpura and the place where concrete starts has never been asphalted properly till recently, I think.
How is the road condition between Puttur and Uppinangadi?
It is manageable. There is this 2-3KM stretch which is patched up and uneven. New tarmac post Kodimbady has held good so far. The most annoying thing was concrete road ending to Manjarabad and Uppinangady to Nelyadi, where the road has been dug up for constructing bridges and not patched properly.

Last edited by PrideRed : 17th July 2018 at 09:32.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 13:49   #7750
BHPian

This image shows how unsafe this road is (esp. during night drive). Drive safe folks, very safe.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-13ec5db.jpg  

Thilak29 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 11:37   #7751
Team-BHP Support

We have to visit New Mangalore next weekend and there are 3 of us from Chennai. I've driven till Manjarabad Fort during last May. I believe the same road goes all the way to Mangalore but it is a 2-laned road.

Have they laid a new patch of tarmac in this stretch? Is it recommended to drive there with the monsoons in full force at the moment? Having a car with us definitely helps since we need to visit the New Mangalore port so there will be some local commuting.
Old 21st July 2018, 12:47   #7752
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I've driven till Manjarabad Fort during last May. I believe the same road goes all the way to Mangalore but it is a 2-laned road.

Have they laid a new patch of tarmac in this stretch? Is it recommended to drive there with the monsoons in full force at the moment?
Yes the same road beyond Manjarabad fort continues to Mangalore and the newly concreted stretch is part of the Shiradi Ghat which was closed for about 6-7 months for the concreting work. From what I've read, the road opened up last week and there is still work in progress on the shoulders so avoid night driving on this route. The dips on the side of the concrete road are quite deep. The region is also seeing heavy monsoon rainfall so keep an eye out for any incidents/road blocks, etc.
Other alternative roads to Mangalore would also pass via some ghat section and each has its own share of advantages and disadvantages (almost even amongst them), so Shiradi route as first choice should be fine. Have a safe trip!

Last edited by NPV : 21st July 2018 at 12:53.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:47   #7753
BHPian

This is the video footage from my dashcam showing work carried out towards the edges of the concrete road near Gundya cross while returning to Bangalore on Sunday.
With zero traffic flow of Buses and trucks which were till banned and no rain, it was most untiring and pleasurable drive I have had through Shiradi ghats.

This was the footage of demolition work carried out at sakleshpur on this Sunday close to hemavati river bridge because of which there was traffic diversion. Must be to carry out road widening work.

shenoytech is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 04:05   #7754
BHPian

Did a night drive through Shiradi from MLR to BLR. Started at 11 and reached Bannerghatta road at 6. It was raining heavily as we were approaching the ghats and with no reflectors or markings between Nelyadi and Gundya, it was tough to navigate. Ghat section itself was much easier. The reflectors stuck on sand bags and placed at the road edge was serving well. With the kind of rains, I am guessing it would easily take another couple of months for the work to be completed. I encountered a couple of trucks in the ghat section, not sure how they managed to sneak in.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 09:54   #7755
Distinguished - BHPian

More good news for those taking Charmadi

Shiradi Ghat now fully open for traffic

Quote:
With the pending works on shoulders and the retaining walls on Shiradi Ghat stretch nearing completion, deputy commissioner Sasikanth Senthil ordered opening the stretch for vehicles, including heavy ones, from Thursday.

With this, the ordeal of the road users travelling between the coastal districts and Bengaluru has ended. Though the newly concreted Shiradi Ghat road was opened on July 15, the pending works on shoulders and retaining walls forced the district administration to prohibit the movement of heavy vehicles by allowing only two-wheelers, four-wheelers and Tempo Travellers, to facilitate the work.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks