Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 14:04   #6241
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

For everyone traveling in this circuit, please refer to the link:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/48739628.cms.

I dont know how long the link will be active, so, I have pasted some relevant content here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANGALURU: If Kalasa-Banduri Nala project is turning up the heat in North Karnataka in the farthest corner of the state capital, the Nethravathi river diversion project is raising a similar heat in Dakshina Kannada.

The protest against the implementation of this project has reached its tipping point with likeminded organizations deciding to shut down the Bengaluru-Mangaluru National Highway at Uppinangady on September 15.
and so on.
Old 3rd September 2015, 23:49   #6242
BHPian

Travelling to Perlampady near Puttur on Saturday. Mostly I will be using the road Bangalore -> Mysore -> Hunsur -> Madikeri -> Amchinadka -> Perlampady.

Is this road currently in good condition?
Old 4th September 2015, 00:38   #6243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
Travelling to Perlampady near Puttur on Saturday. Mostly I will be using the road Bangalore -> Mysore -> Hunsur -> Madikeri -> Amchinadka -> Perlampady.

Yes, that route should be good. The more stress free option is Bangalore - Hassan - Gundya - Kukke Subramanya - Bellare - Nettaru - Perlampady. Since Shiradi is open, Bangalore - Kukke should be a breeze to drive. The SH-100 between Kukke - Bellare - Nettaru was in pristine condition last year and I assume it's the same now.

The route I'm referring is this - https://goo.gl/maps/4bKgs
Old 4th September 2015, 08:05   #6244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Yes, that route should be good. The more stress free option is Bangalore - Hassan - Gundya - Kukke Subramanya - Bellare - Nettaru - Perlampady. Since Shiradi is open, Bangalore - Kukke should be a breeze to drive. The SH-100 between Kukke - Bellare - Nettaru was in pristine condition last year and I assume it's the same now.

The route I'm referring is this - https://goo.gl/maps/4bKgs
I am a little skeptical about travelling on the Shiradi ghat since it has just opened and I read on this forum about some issues still existing.
Old 4th September 2015, 09:14   #6245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am a little skeptical about travelling on the Shiradi ghat since it has just opened and I read on this forum about some issues still existing.
Simply take Shiradi (if your concern is primarily that). Its not that bad to avoid. Would be faster too. The issue is not the Ghat but the way the concrete road has been made and the weak shoulders. Having said that, Shiradi is any day a better choice as of now. Road conditons are driveable all throughout.
Old 4th September 2015, 19:58   #6246
BHPian

Be aware of new speed breaker rumble strips on Shantigrama - Hassan stretch. This is between Jaladhi and Fish land restaurants ( on both sides of the median ) near HKS International school.

On a routine drive to Mangalore and back on 30th August, Bangalore 4am - Kalladka 9am, Perla 10 am, Badiyadka 10.30am. Good road throughout from Kalladka to Badiyadka.

Badiyadka 2.30pm, Mangalore 4pm to 5pm, Bangalore 10.30 pm. Badiyadka - Kumbla good, Kumbla - Bandiyod / Uppala NH17 very bad. Uppala - Mangalore good with usual diversions.
roamingrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 20:49   #6247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Be aware of new speed breaker rumble strips on Shantigrama - Hassan stretch. This is between Jaladhi and Fish land restaurants ( on both sides of the median ) near HKS International school.
So finally the trend continues and spreads here too! When restaurants like Mayura could get the Median opened, I can expect International Schools to get speedbreakers laid on this corridor.

3 Dhabas facing this school anyway had altered the median dangerously to invite customers and now this.

Last I drove was on Aug 15th and speedbreakers weren't there at this location.

Thanks for bringing it to the notice of the forum.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 17:33   #6248
BHPian

Hi

I am planning a drive from Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika via Udupi in 1st week of Oct. Route will be Bglr-Neelamangala- Cpatna-Hassan-Belur-Kottigehra-Kudremukh-Karkala-Udupi-Kollur.

I need to reach Udupi by 1.00 pm to pick up my inlaws before proceeding to Kollur. Also wish to stop over at Belur Chennakesava temple and Karkala Gomateshwara temple enroute. My overall understanding after going thru this thread is that this route is in decent condition through out. Any latest updates pl share.

Also if I start at 4 am, can I make it to Udupi by 1.00 pm including the above 2 stop overs or would it be too tight?
Old 6th September 2015, 18:37   #6249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Hi
I am planning a drive from Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika via Udupi in 1st week of Oct. Route will be Bglr-Neelamangala- Cpatna-Hassan-Belur-Kottigehra-Kudremukh-Karkala-Udupi-Kollur.
Thats a detour. You can do the Shiradi as of today.

Quote:
I need to reach Udupi by 1.00 pm to pick up my inlaws before proceeding to Kollur. Also wish to stop over at Belur Chennakesava temple and Karkala Gomateshwara temple enroute. My overall understanding after going thru this thread is that this route is in decent condition through out. Any latest updates pl share.
Thats too much. Just head straight to Udupi if you plan to reach the Kollur temple by evening. Its about 80km from Udupi to Kollur. About 2hours.
Belur temple itself can take up to 3 hours.

Quote:
Also if I start at 4 am, can I make it to Udupi by 1.00 pm including the above 2 stop overs or would it be too tight?
Thats too much as I said earlier! Have a trip for Belur and Chikkamagalur separately as a weekend drive.

Last edited by ampere : 6th September 2015 at 19:25.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 20:42   #6250
BHPian

I made a quick trip to Kukke and DSL last week thro shiradi ghat. .. The shoulders of the newly laid road are still weak and at many places had caved in due to rains. At one place my foot went in when I stepped on the mud.

Want to share one thing which I observed. All the drivers of LPG tankers belonging to TOTAL GAZ which we encountered in the shiradi ghat road were wearing seat belts..
Old 6th September 2015, 21:33   #6251
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Want to share one thing which I observed. All the drivers of LPG tankers belonging to TOTAL GAZ which we encountered in the shiradi ghat road were wearing seat belts..
This is good, hope they drive carefully. Maybe it is the effect of the recent LPG tanker accident near Kumta on NH 17 ?
Old 7th September 2015, 11:29   #6252
BHPian

Quote:

I finally did use this route. Superb roads all throughout. Driving back got stuck for almost an hour in a massive jam just before Bidadi due to a huge truck which had broken down in the left lane. Only then realized the volume of traffic on this road. Prior to that was doing speeds of 70-80kmph. 80-100kmph is easily doable on the 2 lane roads till Mysore
Old 7th September 2015, 12:11   #6253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Last year I left at 5 and was in Belur at 8am. Spent around 30 minutes at my home and then left for Gonibeedu (Mudigere Road) where again I spent 30 minutes at a friend's place on the highway.

We stopped at Kottigehara for Neer Dosas and then proceeded to Kalasa and reached Karkala around 1 pm for Lunch.

With Belur Temple visit (an hour is good enough including Guide assistance) its difficult to reach Udupi by 1pm although the Karkala Gommateshwara is super close to NH13 and the first landmark as you enter Karkala which wont be a detour too.

If not for the target of 1pm at Udupi, this is easily doable by the same road. Sections after Kalasa all the way where NH13 meets the State Highway at SK Border will be a clean and empty stretch to drive.

Overall, this will consume similar time as the other route anyway. 487 Via Shiradi (that too via Mangalore & Udupi) and 494 via (Belur-Kalasa-Kuduremukha).

One thing to note is that via Belur/Kalasa, the progress would be slower due to longer stretches of ghat sections that would begin after 20 kms from Belur, get straight after Gonibeedu, start all over again after Kottigehara all the way till you reach Bajagoli. Eventually, this may only add 30-60 minutes extra based on the time of departure and that's all.

If its Karakala-Udupi, personally I will always prefer the Kuduremukha approach.

If your primary needs for a drive are fast roads, good restaurants to break frequently, then it should be Shiradi. Else if you are someone who doesn't crib and manage your breaks pro-actively and smartly and loves more scenic roads, take the Kuduremukha option.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 14:02   #6254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats a detour. You can do the Shiradi as of today.

But isn't Shiradi route good if you want to go to Mangalore? Since I don't want to touch Mangalore, I was considering the Belur-Kudremukh route.

Thats too much. Just head straight to Udupi if you plan to reach the Kollur temple by evening. Its about 80km from Udupi to Kollur. About 2hours.
Belur temple itself can take up to 3 hours.

Thats too much as I said earlier! Have a trip for Belur and Chikkamagalur separately as a weekend drive.
I had this doubt but still wanted to check. I guess I was getting a bit too ambitious here

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

With Belur Temple visit (an hour is good enough including Guide assistance) its difficult to reach Udupi by 1pm although the Karkala Gommateshwara is super close to NH13 and the first landmark as you enter Karkala which wont be a detour too.

If not for the target of 1pm at Udupi, this is easily doable by the same road. Sections after Kalasa all the way where NH13 meets the State Highway at SK Border will be a clean and empty stretch to drive.

If your primary needs for a drive are fast roads, good restaurants to break frequently, then it should be Shiradi. Else if you are someone who doesn't crib and manage your breaks pro-actively and smartly and loves more scenic roads, take the Kuduremukha option.
Unfortunately on my onward journey, I have to keep the 1 pm target for Udupi.

I have no issues with ghats and winding roads as long as the road condition is good. Scenic roads are always my preference over straight fast roads. Also have heard a lot about the beauty of the Kudremukh route. That's also one reason for considering this route.

Another option that I can now think of is doing the same route on my way back to Bangalore and cover Belur and Karkala. I can start morning around 6 am from Kollur and target to reach Bangalore by night. Is this doable?
Old 7th September 2015, 15:34   #6255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another option that I can now think of is doing the same route on my way back to Bangalore and cover Belur and Karkala. I can start morning around 6 am from Kollur and target to reach Bangalore by night. Is this doable?
Very much possible. The last 220 kms from Belur all the way till Bangalore would not be a tough one to crack! Early morning start and late night reach means you can easily manage all of these in a day.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks