Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2014, 17:10   #5491
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Every day some one or the other is writing about road between Bangalore and Mangalore and asking for information (including me). It only shows how pathetic all road leading to Mangalore are. Believe me road between Mangalore and Udupi is also not so good and taking ages for the road to be made 4 track.

Even after 60 years of independence and Mangalore being an important city of the state and a Port city, we do not have good road connectivity. We had stalwart MP's from this belt including Indira Gandhi from Chikkamangalor.

It is high time we BHP members take it to the road and make our protest felt.

Shanks
Old 13th October 2014, 17:30   #5492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Same
Also, spotted 2 Mlore->Blore Airavat's on the Sunday early morning, coming to Blore, via. the Mysore Road, which left me thinking if Shiradi was closed already.
There are couple of buses from Mangalore to Bangalore via Madikeri -Mysore. Boarded one of these buses once and it took lot of time compared to normal route, thanks to early morning jams on Mysore road.

During previous long weekend, came by relatives Punto. I was surprised to see ghat section in much better shape compared to roads from Mani till Gundya (good roads and sudden broken roads at turnings and curves) AND worst roads from Sakaleshapura to Hassan stretch (especially initial stretch is extremely pathetic! ).

I came by Airavat today morning to Bangalore. Bus was running late by an hour at least. Not sure why!

If you notice this thread is having hiegst views and highest number of posts (apart from all roads to Kerala but not single location). Staggering 5.5K posts and 843K views. Talks about pain people go through while travelling this route.

High time we write a letter to Road and Transport ministry quoting this thread to prove the miserable state of highways down south. Hopefully there will be achche din/rat for Mangalore-Bangalore regulars. Any one?

PS: I really envy Bangalore-Chennai goers. Dont plan too much like Managalore-Bangalore route, "Just Drive"
Old 13th October 2014, 20:24   #5493
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Today's Indian Express, Bangalore carried this article on the condition of Shiradi ghats:

Quote:
The 37-km stretch on Shiradi Ghat between Gundia in Puttur taluk and Marenahalli in Sakleshpur taluk has yet again gone bad. And the state government has yet again sought funds from the Centre to repair it.Users of this stretch, which seems to be under repair all the time, have a tough time reaching Bangalore. The road goes bad twice a year, and is repaired only once, leaving the road in a bad condition for at least nine months, says Jagannath Rao, owner of a home stay in Sakleshpur who gets his supplies from both Bangalore and Mangalore.
A retired official of the National Highways Authority of India told Express that the state’s rates for repairing the national highway was not more than `1 crore per km. “I do not know how the repair of a 37-km stretch would cost `130 crore, which is the exact sum the state government has demanded from the Centre recently,” he said.
Highway activists at Sakleshpur and Mangalore think that Shiradi was being kept that way as it has become a money spinner. Members of NH 75 Ulisi Horata Vedike of Sakleshpur opine that the state ministers or MLAs do not use the Shiradi Road as they fly to Mangalore from Bangalore and vice versa.
Link to full article:Oct 13

Last edited by NPV : 13th October 2014 at 20:27.
Old 14th October 2014, 10:09   #5494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Next time I will explore Tiptur-Shimoga-Teerthahalli-Agumbe option.
I heard Hebri-Thirthahalli is in decent condition. Cousins traveled on this road a week back. I did Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Thirthalli a week back. Awesome roads all the way. I travel to Shimoga quite often and prefer the Durga road. Dont take this road if you are traveling in the night. Shimoga-Durga 100km stretch has almost no traffic in the night.
Old 14th October 2014, 12:44   #5495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsprabhu View Post
I heard Hebri-Thirthahalli is in decent condition. Cousins traveled on this road a week back. I did Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Thirthalli a week back. Awesome roads all the way. I travel to Shimoga quite often and prefer the Durga road. Dont take this road if you are traveling in the night. Shimoga-Durga 100km stretch has almost no traffic in the night.

Need not go till chitradurga, unless we want to visit the fort.

udupi-hebri-agumbe-theerthalli-shimoga-badravati-kadur-tiptur-shimoga-bangalore. I feel my next drives will be on this route unless they patch 30+ kms of Shiradi and 10-20 kms around Sakleshpur
Old 14th October 2014, 12:54   #5496
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsprabhu View Post
I did Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Thirthalli a week back. Awesome roads all the way. I travel to Shimoga quite often and prefer the Durga road. Dont take this road if you are traveling in the night. Shimoga-Durga 100km stretch has almost no traffic in the night.
That's quite a roundabout way to go to Udupi, adds about 55kms to the Shiradi option.

I think I will stick to Shiradi if it is not going to be closed.
Old 14th October 2014, 13:38   #5497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Need not go till chitradurga, unless we want to visit the fort.
I agree one need not go via Chitradurga. Its a much better road than the Arsikere road. It about 20KMs extra drive
hsprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 14:46   #5498
BHPian

Did a Bangalore- Mangalore -Udupi -Murudeswar -Mangalore-Dharmasthala- Bangalore trip in the last long weekend (2-6th Oct). Took the Bangalore -Hasan-Belur-charmadi ghat road- Mangalore both way. The road is good & very scenic (barring few km near Belur, which is manageable).

Mangalore -Udupi- Murudeswar stretch is bad. I think its usually bad (Single road with Potholes & the mad bus drivers)
Old 14th October 2014, 15:26   #5499
BHPian

With the Shiradi in shambles and charmadi getting crowded, I was thinking of B'lore - Mlore via Mysore - Madikeri. This definitely adds about 40 kms but I guess the time taken will be same. This will work out if the start is very early in the morning at about 4 AM from B'lore to avoid the B'lore - Mysore madness.

Any update on the road conditions on this stretch.
Old 14th October 2014, 16:45   #5500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
With the Shiradi in shambles and charmadi getting crowded, I was thinking of B'lore - Mlore via Mysore - Madikeri. This definitely adds about 40 kms but I guess the time taken will be same. This will work out if the start is very early in the morning at about 4 AM from B'lore to avoid the B'lore - Mysore madness.

Any update on the road conditions on this stretch.
This route is absolutely fine except for small bad stretches between Sampaje - Sullia - Anegundi. It's far better than Shiradi. For latest and constant updates on this route, follow the Kasargod - Bekal thread.
Old 14th October 2014, 18:20   #5501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
udupi-hebri-agumbe-theerthalli-shimoga-badravati-kadur-tiptur-shimoga-bangalore.
I always take this route, for Kundapur. But as Samurai stated, It may be longer road.

I don't know about Chitradurga road, there area hardly any bad stretch in above route. One can easily cruise at 100kmph.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 14th October 2014 at 18:22.
Old 14th October 2014, 21:37   #5502
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
With the Shiradi in shambles and charmadi getting crowded, I was thinking of B'lore - Mlore via Mysore - Madikeri. This definitely adds about 40 kms but I guess the time taken will be same.
Last week I had done part of this route on my return from Bekal.
Madikeri-Somwarpet-Sullia is good just a few Kms of road widening work near Sullia but that is manageable, nothing compared to Sakleshpura and Shiradi
Old 14th October 2014, 22:33   #5503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Last week I had done part of this route on my return from Bekal.
Madikeri-Somwarpet-Sullia is good just a few Kms of road widening work near Sullia but that is manageable, nothing compared to Sakleshpura and Shiradi
How is the road via sampaje? Any major work going on this route? And I don't see any road via somawarpete to sullia.
Old 15th October 2014, 14:12   #5504
BHPian

I took the standard route from Bangalore to Mangalore via Hasan and Sakleshpura last week. The deplorable condition of the ghat section is just mind boggling. The amount of neglect and our own take-it-lying-down culture is something that i find hard to come to terms with. The road tests your patience worse than Dale Steyn on a green top in Cape Town. I don't think i will take road route again
Old 15th October 2014, 19:00   #5505
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
How is the road via sampaje? Any major work going on this route? And I don't see any road via somawarpete to sullia.
Yes, I took Sampaje. Route I took was Sullia-Madikeri-Somwarpete-Shanivarasanthe-Arkalgud-CR Patna-Bangalore. Some road widening work in and around Sullia for about 10Km or so and then couple of bridges being constructed in the ghats, otherwise fine. See my report here
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed