Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2014, 17:39   #5626
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Will be driving to Udupi from Bangalore on the 25th morning. Looks like Hassan - Charmadi - Ujire - Bajegoli - Karkala - Udupi is the best bet.
Karkala to Udupi road has some broken stretches in between now. Need to be careful here. The broken stretches compromise of few hundred meters at 3 to 4 places.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 18:36   #5627
Team-BHP Support

Just drove to Manipal. Started at 10AM to let all the early birds leave, turned out to be great decision. Didn't face any congestion anywhere, despite it being the first day of Christmas vacation. Reached Manipal at 5PM. This is the first time I did the full family trip in just 7 hours. We didn't take any lunch break, just nature break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Karkala to Udupi road has some broken stretches in between now. Need to be careful here. The broken stretches compromise of few hundred meters at 3 to 4 places.
This part is really bad, I wonder why they have broken up such long stretches, and left it alone for week. Some stretches between aladangady and Naravi are also bad.

Quote:
Will be driving to Udupi from Bangalore on the 25th morning. Looks like Hassan - Charmadi - Ujire - Bajegoli - Karkala - Udupi is the best bet.
Took that same route. Wish we could setup a TBHP meet when so many visit Udupi/Manipal. But most will be on tight schedules I suppose.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 19:20   #5628
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This part is really bad, I wonder why they have broken up such long stretches, and left it alone for week. Some stretches between aladangady and Naravi are also bad.
Can you please be more specific? Which parts of Karkala - Udupi are bad? What to do then, folks? Belthangady - Moodibidri - Kinnigoli - Karnad to join Mangalore - Udupi Hwy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wish we could setup a TBHP meet when so many visit Udupi/Manipal. But most will be on tight schedules I suppose.
I'd love to meet with you to say Hi, Samurai San. Unfortunately, we are in and out this trip with a packed agenda. And unfortunately, every trip seems to end being packed. We may make a slightly more relaxed trip in April, starting with Kukke, then Udupi then Mangalore and back. Will try to look you up then. Of course, you need to be there rather than in Bangalore at that time!
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 20:54   #5629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please be more specific? Which parts of Karkala - Udupi are bad? What to do then, folks?
The stretch is between Karkala and Bailoor. With careful driving, one can make it through. I had seen an I10 crossing this stretch ahead of the bus I was traveling in. Nothing to worry about. The driving experience would be similar to an off roading on a bed of gravel and rocks.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 17:35   #5630
DRC
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Hebri this christmas. Experts please suggest the road conditions along. Planned route is Hasan>Chickmagalur>Balehennur>Sringeri>Agumbe>Hebr i.

Is Agumbe Ghat still open? There were talks of closing it for repairs.

Thanks in advance
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:58   #5631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
I am planning to drive to Hebri this christmas. Experts please suggest the road conditions along. Planned route is Hasan>Chickmagalur>Balehennur>Sringeri>Agumbe>Hebr i.

Thanks in advance
You can take the following route. Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Kalasa-Kudremukha-Karkala-Hebri. A friend suggested this route today to me. Seems roads are fine throughout. I am planning to take this route in reverse on 26th. Kudremukha is a toll route in addition till Hassan.
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:33   #5632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post

Thanks in advance
Quote:
You can take the following route. Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Kalasa-Kudremukha-Karkala-Hebri. A friend suggested this route today to me. Seems roads are fine throughout. I am planning to take this route in reverse on 26th. Kudremukha is a toll route in addition till Hassan.
Kalasa/Kudremukh would be a roundabout. Easiest and cleanest would be:

Bangalore-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Hebri
Fantastic roads pretty much all the way till Hebri.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:21   #5633
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bangalore-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Hebri
Fantastic roads pretty much all the way till Hebri.
This route is good, but key question is if the Agumbe ghat road is open. Last I heard it was closed for repair work. I also remember reading that Shiradi closure, tentatively Dec 25 is also dependent on the completion of work on Agumbe ghats.
Old 23rd December 2014, 22:05   #5634

this weekend planning to visit Dharmasthala and Kukke subramanya temples. please let me know the route info from Bangalore
Old 24th December 2014, 07:59   #5635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This route is good, but key question is if the Agumbe ghat road is open. Last I heard it was closed for repair work. I also remember reading that Shiradi closure, tentatively Dec 25 is also dependent on the completion of work on Agumbe ghats.
An acquaintance of mine travelled through Agumbe last week, and he says not only is Agumbe open, but it is in good shape. His friend travelled via Agumbe on De. 23 as well. I might take the Agumbe route to Udupi on the 25th.
Old 24th December 2014, 08:03   #5636
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Quote:
An acquaintance of mine travelled through Agumbe last week, and he says not only is Agumbe open, but it is in good shape. His friend travelled via Agumbe on De. 23 as well. I might take the Agumbe route to Udupi on the 25th.
Thats what even I was thinking Agumbe ghat road is actually good. I think if am not wrong it is made of concrete (?). Whats the need for repairs?
Old 24th December 2014, 09:00   #5637
BHPian

I am driving today to Mangalore starting at 13:30 from electronic city.
Will be taking the route Hassan> Belur > Mudigere > Charmadi > BC Road > Mangalore.

TBHP meet is a good idea. Am in Manipal over the weekend but on a tight schedule though. Have planned a reunion at MIT.

-UB
Old 24th December 2014, 09:36   #5638
BHPian

Quote:
I think if am not wrong it is made of concrete (?). Whats the need for repairs?
Half concrete and half tar. Roads with Udupi distict are Tar and with Chikmanglur is Concrete. Tar roads are good (When compared to Concrete)!
Old 24th December 2014, 09:39   #5639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats what even I was thinking Agumbe ghat road is actually good. I think if am not wrong it is made of concrete (?). Whats the need for repairs?
The repairs were planned to widen the air pin curves and it was said the side walls are in a bad shape and it is very dangerous, hence the repairs were planned.

I am not sure if the repairs are completed or yet to begin. @TheTeacher Can you check with your colleague if the repair works are completed or is there any road widening done, so that it would benefit our fellow travelers.
Old 24th December 2014, 10:05   #5640
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to drive down to Sringeri over the weekend. Planned route
Bangalore > Hassan > Chikmagalur > Aldur > Balehonnur > Sringeri

Any updates on the Chikmagalur > Aldur > Balehonnur > Sringeri route? Will be travelling with family and mostly driving during the day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks