Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 09:41   #5716
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Hot News: Charmadi ghat is being widened at places for 2 vehicles to pass easily and overcome the traffic chaos. They have started the work and planning to complete it ASAP
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 09:45   #5717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Hot News: Charmadi ghat is being widened at places for 2 vehicles to pass easily and overcome the traffic chaos. They have started the work and planning to complete it ASAP
If they can also teach how to "Give way" and etiquettes of Ghat Driving, it can resolve half of the "issues" reported due to supposedly narrow stretches.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 10:25   #5718
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvaisudheer View Post
Do they allow vehicles to enter the KNP (Kuduremukh National Park) post 6:00PM???
I have even entered after 11PM. But... don't try it unless you are really equipped for fog driving. This route has intense fog at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Around 11PM we started back, this time through Kudremukh ghat. Here we faced the thickest fog I have ever come across till date, and I have seen lot of fog before. But we knew the drill. I switched off the highlights to reduce the diffusion, turned on all 4 fogs, and keeping only edges of the roads in sight, I kept on driving at 30-40kmph. The Gypsy merely followed my tail lights. Some places I was forced down to 20kmph as visible dropped even further. But at no time we stopped due to fog, as my Neolite 714 army could always illuminate the 10 meters ahead of us.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 12:20   #5719
BHPian

Quote:
One of my friend traveled via Charmadi yesterday and he made it at ease. He mentioned that traffic was relatively smooth throughout ghat section. If things remains the same then I will think of taking this route for my weekend trip down to Puttur or else it is going to be Mysore/Arakalgudu route.
Old 6th January 2015, 12:33   #5720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If they can also teach how to "Give way" and etiquettes of Ghat Driving, it can resolve half of the "issues" reported due to supposedly narrow stretches.
Agree with you completely, there is not even a small glimpse of driving etiquettes with many of the so called educated drivers. And more than that I think the patience is out of place for many of them and always in a hurry to reach there destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
One of my friend traveled via Charmadi yesterday and he made it at ease. He mentioned that traffic was relatively smooth throughout ghat section. If things remains the same then I will think of taking this route for my weekend trip down to Puttur or else it is going to be Mysore/Arakalgudu route.
Probably due to a weekday he was able to go through with ease, but weekends would be really crowded and becomes difficult to drive IMO. I would suggest you to play safe because we are not sure what would be the situation during weekends.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 19:27   #5721
BHPian

Quote:
Agree with you completely, there is not even a small glimpse of driving etiquette with many of the so called educated drivers. And more than that I think the patience is out of place for many of them and always in a hurry to reach there destination.
Agreed.

But there is a flip side to it as well: idiots who go slow and will NOT let you pass them even at safe places; they feel insulted if overtaken. So they become dogs-in-the-manger, neither driving at a decent speed nor allowing others to. This kind of behavior is as bad as the one you describe.

See my sig.
TheTeacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 12:31   #5722
BHPian

Hi,

KannadaPrabha news paper has carried a front page article on the Shiradi ghat works and it has a few disturbing things:

1. The current tender is approved only for the first 13kms. They have just floated the tender for the 2nd half (closing date is 25-Jan).
2. The closure might therefore be extended by 6 more months (or they might open it up after 6 months, and close it again next year for 6 more months).
3. Current work that is going on is only related to making the drainage and they'd be touching the actual road 6weeks from now or so. When asked why the contractors got the road closed so early, the reply was to ensure the safety of the workers due to the traffic.
4. They have dug up the road to physically block any oncoming traffic from Sakaleshapura, with just 6ft of space to have locals with passes to travel.
5. Apparently Shiradi ghats will not be 4-laned. They hope to solve the bottleneck with the exisiting road and some tunnel that'd come up with Japanese help.
6. Contrary to expectations of the reporter who was expecting works in full swing, the work was going on only in a few places.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 15:05   #5723
BHPian

For those using Bisle ghat road to reach Kukke or the other way, please check status on everyday basis. Yesterday, Bisle was closed due to construction of a bridge. Don't know if it is open yet. Good news is that Bisle to Kudraste widening work is in full pace. It may be a viable alternative to Shiradi in the coming months.
chandan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 15:11   #5724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
For those using Bisle ghat road to reach Kukke or the other way, please check status on everyday basis. Yesterday, Bisle was closed due to construction of a bridge. Don't know if it is open yet. Good news is that Bisle to Kudraste widening work is in full pace. It may be a viable alternative to Shiradi in the coming months.
Have they patched up this road by any chance? I'm talking about the Hethur-Koodu raste-Bisle stretch? Last I drove there, it was still very bad.
Old 7th January 2015, 17:23   #5725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Have they patched up this road by any chance? I'm talking about the Hethur-Koodu raste-Bisle stretch? Last I drove there, it was still very bad.
Hettur-Koodraste road is in terrible shape. Koodraste-Bisle road widening work is going on at a fast pace. If the entire stretch between Kukke-Koodraste is done then people driving to/from Mangalore/Bangalore can use this via Shanivarasanthe & Arkalgudu. Also, the Donigal- Kodlipete road is being widened. So, if all these road works are finished in the next few months, we will have many alternatives to Shiradi Ghat
Old 7th January 2015, 17:37   #5726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Koodraste-Bisle road widening work is going on at a fast pace. If the entire stretch between Kukke-Koodraste is done then people driving to/from Mangalore/Bangalore can use this via Shanivarasanthe & Arkalgudu. Also, the Donigal- Kodlipete road is being widened. So, if all these road works are finished in the next few months, we will have many alternatives to Shiradi Ghat
That is good news. I think it is too much to expect the Koodu Raste-Kukke to be widened/repaired. I am definitely sure that they will not touch Bisle. The lower part of Bisle (from Kukke to the Dakshina Kannada border) was relaid some time back, I wonder how that is holding up.

How is the road condition between Koodu Raste and Shanivarasanthe?
Old 7th January 2015, 19:29   #5727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
That is good news. I think it is too much to expect the Koodu Raste-Kukke to be widened/repaired. I am definitely sure that they will not touch Bisle. The lower part of Bisle (from Kukke to the Dakshina Kannada border) was relaid some time back, I wonder how that is holding up.

How is the road condition between Koodu Raste and Shanivarasanthe?
Not too sure about the 18km stretch between Koodraste & Shanivarasnthe.
Even I was shocked to see the works on Bisle road. In fact, they are touching Bisle & maybe all the way down to Kukke too.
Old 7th January 2015, 23:23   #5728
Senior - BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

A relative boarded the B9R from Bannerghatta road at 845 pm and reached mangalore at 6 am !! She isn't aware of the route taken , but it would have been through Madikeri for sure.

While I am tempted to take this route , for some reason I just hate the Bangalore- Mysore SH. As we will be starting early morning around 3 am , it will be Hassan- Belur - Mudigere -Kalasa- Karkala- Mangalore

As I had mentioned earlier , I will be driving back from Kundapur on Sunday ,18th Jan. Starting around 2-3 pm , which is the route I should be looking at ? Hebri- Agume or once again Kalasa- Mudigere ?

Any other smart suggestions ( other than asking me to drive on the Mysore Road ) is welcome.

Last edited by speedsatya : 7th January 2015 at 23:32.
Old 7th January 2015, 23:58   #5729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
As I had mentioned earlier , I will be driving back from Kundapur on Sunday ,18th Jan. Starting around 2-3 pm , which is the route I should be looking at ? Hebri- Agume or once again Kalasa- Mudigere ?
Kundapur-Ampar-Hulikal-Hosanagara-Ripponpete-Ayanur-Shimoga-BLR.

Some sections between Ampar and Hulikal/Mastekatte are rough. But beyond once you hit Nagara its a belter all the way.

Last edited by ampere : 8th January 2015 at 00:01.
Old 8th January 2015, 08:10   #5730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Kundapur-Ampar-Hulikal-Hosanagara-Ripponpete-Ayanur-Shimoga-BLR.

Some sections between Ampar and Hulikal/Mastekatte are rough. But beyond once you hit Nagara its a belter all the way.

Okay. When was the last you drove on this route ?

Most Viewed