Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2014, 12:11   #5641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Planning to drive down to Sringeri over the weekend. Planned route
Bangalore > Hassan > Chikmagalur > Aldur > Balehonnur > Sringeri

Any updates on the Chikmagalur > Aldur > Balehonnur > Sringeri route? Will be travelling with family and mostly driving during the day.
Look at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3607757 . Looks like the 90KMs distance between Sringeri and Mudigere took 4 hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
The repairs were planned to widen the air pin curves and it was said the side walls are in a bad shape and it is very dangerous, hence the repairs were planned.

I am not sure if the repairs are completed or yet to begin. @TheTeacher Can you check with your colleague if the repair works are completed or is there any road widening done, so that it would benefit our fellow travelers.
Agumbe ghats are always bumpy. Been traveling on that road since 80s. The ghats are scheduled to be shutdown from mid-jan. I dont think they have enough room there to widen the roads.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th December 2014 at 12:23. Reason: Back to back post. Please go through board rules.
hsprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 12:22   #5642
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Any latest news on Shiradi ghat whether it is open tomorrow to travel to Mangalore? As per last update from 25th Dec, it was supposed to be closed.

People traveling today, request you to please put an update here.
Old 24th December 2014, 15:52   #5643
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats what even I was thinking Agumbe ghat road is actually good. I think if am not wrong it is made of concrete (?). Whats the need for repairs?
There were broken sections (concrete and tar) at various hair pin bends. This was when I drove last December, hope it's fixed now
Old 24th December 2014, 18:10   #5644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
@TheTeacher Can you check with your colleague if the repair works are completed or is there any road widening done, so that it would benefit our fellow travelers.
I was told that there is a 2km stretch of concrete that is in bad shape, and the planned repairs were to rip this out and replace it with a tarred road. There was no mention of road widening. I understand Agumbe will be closed at some point for not more than a month for this purpose. Exactly when is not clear. My understanding is that for the 25th, both Shiradi and Agumbe will be open. No guarantees, of course!
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 12:32   #5645
BHPian

I am driving to Subramanya this weekend with my family in Ritz. If Shiradi ghat is indeed closed, what might be the best alternative route for me?

Charmadi ghat will be too much of a deviation as our preferred destination is Kukke and not Dharmasthala. Also, I wonder how crowded that road is going to be once all the traffic is redirected there!

Google shows a road Sakleshpura > Kudrasthe > Kukke. (I think it is Bisle ghat) But I saw another post on the forum, which says road is almost non-existent. This post was a little old one, must be 6months if my memory is right. If they are closing Shiradi ghat road for that long they would have prepared the alternative roads, right? Anybody knows current condition of Bisle ghat road?
Old 25th December 2014, 13:02   #5646
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
Google shows a road Sakleshpura > Kudrasthe > Kukke. (I think it is Bisle ghat) But I saw another post on the forum, which says road is almost non-existent. This post was a little old one, must be 6months if my memory is right. If they are closing Shiradi ghat road for that long they would have prepared the alternative roads, right? Anybody knows current condition of Bisle ghat road?

Bisle is never an option. In case Shiradi is closed, you need to go via Madikeri-Sullia-Jalsoor-Kukke.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 14:43   #5647
BHPian

Quote:
Bisle is never an option. In case Shiradi is closed, you need to go via Madikeri-Sullia-Jalsoor-Kukke.
No need to go all the way till jalsoor. Can take the right turn from Aranthodu too. However roads may be average
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 15:04   #5648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
No need to go all the way till jalsoor. Can take the right turn from Aranthodu too. However roads may be average
That is true. I just did not want to confuse him with the local roads. Hence did not suggest.
Old 25th December 2014, 21:40   #5649
BHPian

Posting from mobile in Udupi. Drove from Bangalore via Chitradurga, Shimoga, Thirthahalli, Agumbe, Hebri. Agumbe s obviously open 😊
Will post about road conditions when I get back in a couple of days.
Old 26th December 2014, 08:14   #5650
BHPian

Any update on Shiradi? Will be driving to Mangalore tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 09:57   #5651
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks ampere. In that case, I guess I should take Bangalore>Mysore>Madikeri>Sullia>Jalsoor(that turn as Chikku suggested)>Kukke.
Hopefully drive won't take more than 7 hours.

A part of my driving-self still says start at 4 in the morning, hit the Hassan road and if Shiradi ghat is closed, then will find an alternative. I searched on internet for a contact number or a help line number to check the status of the road but no luck.
Old 26th December 2014, 11:19   #5652
BHPian

A relative drove from Bangalore to Mangalore via Shiradi yesterday (25th). Said only a few short stretches were bad and was otherwise motorable. Traffic was extremely light - perhaps most avoided it thinking it would be closed. Heard that it will be closed from 1st. Am planning to drive back to Bangalore from Mangalore via Shiradi tomorrow (27th).
Old 26th December 2014, 11:30   #5653
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
Thanks ampere. In that case, I guess I should take Bangalore>Mysore>Madikeri>Sullia>Jalsoor(that turn as Chikku suggested)>Kukke.
Hopefully drive won't take more than 7 hours.
I drove from Bangalore to Manipal last week in 7 hours via Shiradi, with full family. And my wife didn't let me fly over bad roads. Surely you can do Kukke in 7 hours.
Old 26th December 2014, 12:46   #5654
BHPian

Shiradi is not closed as yet. Vehicles plying as usual. But, Charmadi had unusually high traffic yesterday.
Old 26th December 2014, 18:02   #5655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsprabhu View Post
Looks like the 90KMs distance between Sringeri and Mudigere took 4 hrs.
Did chikmagalur > aldur > balehonnur > sringeri today in 2 hours. Good roads except for a few km of patches before and after the main towns. In fact the stretch after Jayapuram is being relaid and is already half done.

Also did sringeri > agumbe and back. Again great roads and beautiful drive.

Also drove to Sirimane falls. The road till kigga is butter smooth and after that it's a test for any hatch/sedan. Plus it gets very narrow at a few points and as usual the Bangalore drivers were proving why they shouldn't have a driving license.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks