Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2014, 17:36   #5596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
BTW do we have any updates on the ghat ?
I came through Shiradi this noon. Most of the stretches on the ghat are patched up. 2-3 km near Kempu Hole project is not yet patched. I guess it'll be completely ready in another 1-2 weeks. Looking at the way they are patching the road, I doubt if they are closing the ghat anytime soon.
Old 10th December 2014, 02:42   #5597
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

How is the Aldur-Belur road? Is it in good condition, which allows one to bypass Chikkamagulur?
Old 10th December 2014, 08:58   #5598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How is the Aldur-Belur road? Is it in good condition, which allows one to bypass Chikkamagulur?
That road has been MDR since many decades and always been a mix of good,bad,patchy,narrow and wide that most often non locals will refer to as "worst" if they drive it for the first time.

The road from Belur to Genedehalli hasn't improved much but faces least traffic even today as it doesn't lead to any major town and secondly because Belur Mudigere has been excellent since the last 3 years.

However,for those folks who have their homes in and around Genedehalli (Makonahalli, Haandi, Aldur) it still is the preferred road.

For a newbie,It still makes sense to take the usual road via Chikmagalur rather than suggest this followed by his apparent rant that the road was bad!!!
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 11:30   #5599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Baskal- Haandi road is in pretty bad condition.
Mudigere - Haandi plenty of potholes. This road has taken a beating to heavy rains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

However,for those folks who have their homes in and around Genedehalli (Makonahalli, Haandi, Aldur) it still is the preferred road.
Yes, agreed.
But I stopped using this route since 3 months.
I take Belur-Cheeknally-Gowthally(Chettnalli)-Kannapura-Mudigere road.
This road condition is fantastic without a single pothole

Belur - Gendehally , plenty of potholes, so better avoid. Baskal - Mudigere is in very good condition.

Aldur - Balehonnur is still in bad condition, good news is that they have started patching up the potholes ( 3 days back)
sushrutha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 09:04   #5600

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I take Belur-Cheeknally-Gowthally(Chettnalli)-Kannapura-Mudigere road.
This road condition is fantastic without a single pothole
Can you please show this route on Google Maps? I am unable to locate the intermediate points apart from Kannapura.
Old 11th December 2014, 09:46   #5601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niladri83 View Post
Can you please show this route on Google Maps? I am unable to locate the intermediate points apart from Kannapura.
Attaching screenshot as below.
Cheeknahalli is approximately 20 kms from Belur town.

Considerably a bigger village, soon after which you have a Y junction with a right handed curve that continues towards Mudigere. Right at this point you have a signage marking destinations like Kalasa,Dharmasthala and Mangalore.

Soon after you take this right hander, a small ghat section also starts with lot of curves and incline.

The point on the map is nothing but the Y fork I am referring to which comes after Cheeknahalli.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1418271374125.jpg  

paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 10:20   #5602
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Attaching screenshot as below.
Cheeknahalli is approximately 20 kms from Belur town.
Is this a better option to Belur as compared to going via Chikkamagulur? Typically I find traffic higher on the Belur-Mudigere road as compared to Albur-Chikkamagulur road.
Old 11th December 2014, 10:27   #5603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is this a better option to Belur as compared to going via Chikkamagulur? Typically I find traffic higher on the Belur-Mudigere road as compared to Albur-Chikkamagulur road.
Belur Mudigere road has way less traffic compared to Chikmagalur Mudigere since years.

This is mainly for few reasons:
1. All traffic from South Canara wanting to head North take Chikmagalur Kadur Shimoga option
2. All others wanting to head Bangalore and east use the Shiradi as usual
3. Mudigere locals too prefer Chikmagalur for shopping pesticides or any farm related equipments or even Banking and servicing for their cars.
4. Maximum KSRTC buses ply between Mudigere Chikmagalur than Belur Mudigere as Dharmasthala has 100s of North Karnataka bound buses(rest take Shiradi).

Edit-From Belur we still used to prefer Chikmagalur Option for Aldur. The one suggested by Sushrutha is indeed less taken but now that roads are reported to be good, it makes perfect sense to take this option.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th December 2014 at 10:30.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 14:33   #5604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Belur Mudigere road has way less traffic compared to Chikmagalur Mudigere since years.
@Ampere, The traffic on the Belur-Mudigere road is mostly Bangalore tourists and some local traffic. But as Parag has already mentioned, the Chikmagalur-Mudigere road is quite busy actually. Chikmagalur being the district headquarters as well as a major town on the route between North Karnataka and the piligrimage towns of Dharmasthala-Udupi-Kukke and the Dakshina Kannada district in general, it is bound to have a lot of traffic (more bus and truck traffic).

That said, I would still prefer the Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur route to reach Aldur given that it is more faster than all the other alternatives and if at all you want any food options, you have Chikmagalur town for that. The Baskal-Haandi route (on the Belur-Gendehalli-Haandi-Aldur route) was bad for quite some time and from what I've heard, it is still pretty bad. Sushrutha takes the Kannapura route to reach his home and not necessarily to go to Mudigere
addyhemmige is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 18:10   #5605
Senior - BHPian

Can someone suggest a good filling station in and around Hassan/ Sakleshpur. Planning to ride on bike to Udupi tomorrow and it would need a refill at around these places.
Old 16th December 2014, 18:23   #5606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Can someone suggest a good filling station in and around Hassan/ Sakleshpur. Planning to ride on bike to Udupi tomorrow and it would need a refill at around these places.
IOCL Jubilee Outlet, Udayapura between CR Patna and Hassan.

Kanchanganga Fuel Station, IOCL Sakleshpur.

If you are Ok for a bit of detour inside Hassan, Venkateshwara Filling station (Near Santhepete Circle) is a reliable one since many years too.
Old 16th December 2014, 18:36   #5607
Team-BHP Support

Are they closing the Shiradi Ghat this week, or not? There is no word on it at all.

Meanwhile, they say they are only doing temporary work this time. Five months of closure for temporary work? And we won't be getting 4-lane roads.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle6696481.ece
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 17:17   #5608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Are they closing the Shiradi Ghat this week, or not? There is no word on it at all. ...
Any update on this? Traveling to Mangalore on 27th.
Old 18th December 2014, 17:31   #5609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Any update on this? Traveling to Mangalore on 27th.
As of today, it was not closed. One of our members rode to Udupi. Even if its closed, you have Charmadi as an option.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 17:41   #5610
Team-BHP Support

Spoke to BHPian Chandan who resides in Sakleshpur. Shiradi ghat won't be closed unless alternative roads are ready. This is thanks to Sakleshpura police, who have the responsibility to manage traffic. Shiradi ghat won't close until police okay it. Those alternative roads are far from being ready. So... we should be okay for another month I suppose.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks