Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2015, 21:46   #5821
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
We did the Nelamangala - Kunigal - Chennarayapattana - Ariskere - Thirthahalli - Agumbe route to Manipal yesterday. The drive was peaceful and smooth. Started at 6:00am from HSR Layout and reached by 3:00pm with around an hour's break.
I did this route today. Left HRBR layout at 12:45pm, I know that is odd, but I had a chore I needed to finish. Had lunch at Mayura, and then reached Manipal at 8:15pm.

That is 7.5 hours including 30 minutes for lunch for 430kms, despite starting in afternoon Bangalore traffic. This is the same timing I usually achieve via Shiradi starting at 7AM from Bangalore, which is only 396kms. Says a lot about the quality of this route.
Old 17th February 2015, 22:06   #5822
BHPian

Hi,

Returned today from Marvanthe. On NH17 took the left towards Kollur, then turned right at a junction with Agumbe "right" direction board. Started at 10:00am, reached Thirthahalli by 12:00pm. Very smooth drive except for the Agumbe Ghats broken sections. Reached Nice road by 6:30pm after around an hour's break and some slow driving in Thirthahalli to Arsikere section.

We had stayed at Turtle Bay beach resort, Marvanthe. Had a great experience. Its around 40 mins away from Kollur temple, excellent location right on a neat beach. You can chill out with family or friends. Staying at this place might just make your Kollur temple trip more interesting

Mayur veg is in the 4 lane section, it is around 2 hours away from HSR Layout if you do an early morning start. It comes on the LHS. While returning there is Malgudi and another Mayur on the LHS after you cross Mayur veg on the RHS.

Ampere, I was stupid enough to think that Channarayapattana town is where you turn towards Ariskere.

Samurai, except the narrow ghat section this route is a neat option, peaceful drive and some nice views too. Loved the Muthinakoppa-Ariskere region. Any good sea-food joint you know in Manipal-Malpe? We want to do a sea-food trip

Cheers

Vinod
Old 17th February 2015, 22:47   #5823
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Returned today from Marvanthe. On NH17 took the left towards Kollur, then turned right at a junction with Agumbe "right" direction board. Started at 10:00am, reached Thirthahalli by 12:00pm. Very smooth drive except for the Agumbe Ghats broken sections. Reached Nice road by 6:30pm after around an hour's break and some slow driving in Thirthahalli to Arsikere section.
The NH17 exit point must be Hemmadi and the point where you took for Agumbe must be Vandse. That road will take you to Someshwar from where you start climbing.

Quote:
We had stayed at Turtle Bay beach resort, Marvanthe. Had a great experience. Its around 40 mins away from Kollur temple, excellent location right on a neat beach. You can chill out with family or friends. Staying at this place might just make your Kollur temple trip more interesting
Turtle bay is a good option. But looking at it the other way, many who visit Kollur would also like to visit Udupi. Hence staying at one of these two places also makes sense from a temple visit point of view.

Quote:
Mayur veg is in the 4 lane section, it is around 2 hours away from HSR Layout if you do an early morning start. It comes on the LHS. While returning there is Malgudi and another Mayur on the LHS after you cross Mayur veg on the RHS.
Mayura is a good option. The way to remember Malgudi is that its right after the Bellur cross toll. Its a pretty decent place. If you go ahead you can also take a break either at Adigas or Swathi. This is one when you are coming back.

Quote:
Ampere, I was stupid enough to think that Channarayapattana town is where you turn towards Ariskere.
When you the road heading into CR Patna town, the one on the right is a 2-lane by pass. You have to drive quite some distance to arrive at the Arsikere exit.

Here is a view of CR Patna bypass in morning hours.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_3097_lr.jpg

Quote:
Samurai, except the narrow ghat section this route is a neat option, peaceful drive and some nice views too. Loved the Muthinakoppa-Ariskere region. Any good sea-food joint you know in Manipal-Malpe? We want to do a sea-food trip
SH65 is a very nice peaceful road. You should also try the other side of it. Although its much longer, but its absolute beauty going through all the coffee estates. Mandagadde-NR Pura- Aldur
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 23:00   #5824
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mayur veg is in the 4 lane section, it is around 2 hours away from HSR Layout if you do an early morning start. It comes on the LHS.
This is the one I patronize. Took me 1h45m today to reach it.

Quote:
A new one came highly recommended recently. Let me look up tomorrow.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 23:06   #5825
BHPian

Hi,

Is this Hassan - Ckm - Aldur - Mandagadde - Thirthahalli? Muthodi forest drive from Ckm is same route? We had driven till the camp run by forest department while touring Ckm few years back, the forests road was in bad condition then, but was really beautiful. Is this the same one you told is very twisty and exhausting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
SH65 is a very nice peaceful road. You should also try the other side of it. Although its much longer, but its absolute beauty going through all the coffee estates. Mandagadde-NR Pura- Aldur
Yes, Udupi is usually part of the scheme. You have some nice economical service apartments in Manipal. I would say do a 2 nights trip, one in Manipal and other in Turtlebay. Reach Manipal by noon, visit Udupi temple in the evening, head to Kollur next day morning, check-in Marvanthe for a nice evening by the beach, have an early morning walk on the beach next day morning and head back to Bangalore. That's what we did Th only difference being an additional night at Manipal to watch the Ind-Pak match.
Old 18th February 2015, 00:11   #5826
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is this Hassan - Ckm - Aldur - Mandagadde - Thirthahalli? Muthodi forest drive from Ckm is same route? We had driven till the camp run by forest department while touring Ckm few years back, the forests road was in bad condition then, but was really beautiful. Is this the same one you told is very twisty and exhausting?
I think its a different route. This one goes through coffee estates. And in fact if you are heading to Agumbe via this route then, you dont hit NR Pura, Mandagade, Thirthahalli, but you do:

CKM-Aldur-Balehonnur-Sringeri- Agumbe

Quote:
Yes, Udupi is usually part of the scheme. You have some nice economical service apartments in Manipal. I would say do a 2 nights trip, one in Manipal and other in Turtlebay. Reach Manipal by noon, visit Udupi temple in the evening, head to Kollur next day morning, check-in Marvanthe for a nice evening by the beach, have an early morning walk on the beach next day morning and head back to Bangalore. That's what we did Th only difference being an additional night at Manipal to watch the Ind-Pak match.
Instead of Marvathe I stayed at Udupi. Did this circuit last year end.
Old 18th February 2015, 10:28   #5827
BHPian

Quote:

Mayur veg is in the 4 lane section, it is around 2 hours away from HSR Layout if you do an early morning start. It comes on the LHS.
I usually used to take Mayura Veg, however recently I went to Swathi Delicacy. When compared to food, its far better, less crowded (lunch, dinner). When compared to Mayura, this has smaller parking space, no children play area. If you are in hurry, they serve food to your car!

This will be pit-stop for me now on, till it's quality takes a hit!
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 08:25   #5828
Team-BHP Support

Even I prefer Hotel Swathi if I can make it there in the time when its opened. Even if it means crossing over. The place is quite good. I liked the service as well.
Old 19th February 2015, 11:39   #5829
Senior - BHPian

Please note that there is a lot of palm oil spilled on the road near Jodupala (15 km from Madikeri towards Sullia ) and the location is just after the waterfall. I assume this was leaked from a tanker belonging to Sunpure sunflower oil!! IIRC this has happened about few weeks back and some good samaritan had put sand on these but it is of not much help now.
The road is slippery and it has drizzled last night making it worse. Please pass on the message and ensure you drive slowly for about a km from Jodupala falls.Apparently there are many accidents on this spot ever since the traffic was diverted from Shiradi ghat.

Courtesy: HVK Forum, Facebook

Also read in today's newspaper that a Maruti 800 car was run over by a tipper truck and 3 of them died on the spot. Guys request you to please be careful on this stretch. IMO after the beautiful laid roads accident has become regular.
fusionbang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 10:18   #5830
Team-BHP Support

There is a serious law and order problem in Shimoga since Thursday. Police are applying curfew and 144 section as they see fit. Avoid Shimoga for another week. This makes the route that bypasses Shimoga very useful.
Old 22nd February 2015, 11:14   #5831
Senior - BHPian

The road construction which was happening at Hirisave is almost complete and the traffic is unofficially allowed on the new road. I don't see any use of this new road as it passes right through Hirisave junction. I had initially thought they are building a flyover over Hirisave which is not true. This may lead to many accidents at the junction since the drivers will be tempted to gun the throttle on this new road which looks like a straight runway only to end up at the busy junction. I bet that a new set of rumbling strips will come up shortly.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 22nd February 2015 at 11:16.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 11:49   #5832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
The road construction which was happening at Hirisave is almost complete and the traffic is unofficially allowed on the new road. I don't see any use of this new road as it passes right through Hirisave junction. I had initially thought they are building a flyover over Hirisave which is not true. This may lead to many accidents at the junction since the drivers will be tempted to gun the throttle on this new road which looks like a straight runway only to end up at the busy junction. I bet that a new set of rumbling strips will come up shortly.
Well, we have the answer in the name of speedbreakers that will soon come up right at the beginning/end of this "bypass".

The junction that you are referring as you would agree witnesses a lot of haphazard and miscellaneous traffic and pedestrian movements. Not to forget most of the unauthorised public carriers stopping bang at this junction - Maxi Cabs, 6 seater Diesel autos, Gramina Sarige buses etc.

And if one is approaching this from Hassan side towards Bangalore, the speeds will indeed be high to even control the vehicle at the start of this flyover that forks out.

Just like how CR Patna or Hassan bypass is a joke when rest of the highway is dual carriageway, this one at Hirisave is a bigger joke!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd February 2015 at 11:51.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 21:10   #5833
BHPian

Yesterday I travelled Bangalore - CRPatna - Holenarsipura - madikeri - puttur. Roads are non existent for some part between holenarsipura and arkalgud, all scattered boulders. Bad patches continue all the way till kodagu border. Widening work between sampaje and sullia is almost over except for a small diversion for an underconstruction bridge.
Old 22nd February 2015, 21:32   #5834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Roads are non existent for some part between holenarsipura and arkalgud, all scattered boulders.
I think you are referring to the 2 km bad stretch just before entering Holenarasipura. There is no bad patch between Holenarasipura - Arakalagud. There is a way to avoid this 2 km bad stretch. I have updated it in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-info-12.html

Quote:
Bad patches continue all the way till kodagu border.
Bad patches till Kodagu border? Which route did you take from Arakalagud to reach Madikeri?

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 22nd February 2015 at 21:34.
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:17   #5835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I think you are referring to the 2 km bad stretch just before entering Holenarasipura. There is no bad patch between Holenarasipura - Arakalagud. There is a way to avoid this 2 km bad stretch. I have updated it in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-info-12.html

Bad patches till Kodagu border? Which route did you take from Arakalagud to reach Madikeri?
Hey thanks for the suggestion. I took konanur kushalnagar route to reach madikeri. Was there any other route I missed? I had no gps and it was already dark. Roads were deserted. May be I took a wrong turn.

Most Viewed