Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 01:01   #5941
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Look at post #5933, you might have got a lucky break.
Old 7th April 2015, 01:06   #5942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Look at post #5933, you might have got a lucky break.

Left at 11 in the morning. Reached by 6 in the evening. I was the only one who was driving that stretch at that time i guess. Hardly any traffic.
Old 7th April 2015, 08:26   #5943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post

Left at 11 in the morning. Reached by 6 in the evening. I was the only one who was driving that stretch at that time i guess. Hardly any traffic.
You are one lucky man! See below:
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...madi-ghat.html
Old 7th April 2015, 08:46   #5944
Distinguished - BHPian

Till Shiradi opens up, for Mangalore or Udupi you better opt Madikeri and Tirthalli respectively.

Once It opens, Charmadi should be back to glory and will he highly recommended anyway .

After all, the roads not bad but your driving style is.
Old 9th April 2015, 10:40   #5945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Best Route to Bangalore:

Ududpi-Hebri-Someshwar-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shimoga-Bhadravathi-Arsikere-Channarayapatna-Kunigal-Nelamangala-Bangalore
Many thanks for this perfectly smooth route. This time, the intent was to drive at modest speeds owing to my passenger's condition. Still, this route took me from BLR (RR Nagar) to Udupi in 7.5 hours (break times extra) even though we left BLR at only 09:00 AM.

Decided to stick to the same route for return journey... but found the NH206 had suddenly become like Mysore-BLR road -- too many road humps at every possible junction !!! (This was on 08-Apr.)

Last edited by scanD : 9th April 2015 at 10:42.
Old 9th April 2015, 16:22   #5946
BHPian

Anybody with the pictorial updates on the work progress at Shiradi Wish it opens up soon. I want that peaceful Charmadi back
Old 9th April 2015, 19:49   #5947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvaisudheer View Post
Anybody with the pictorial updates on the work progress at Shiradi Wish it opens up soon. I want that peaceful Charmadi back
I dont think anyone is allowed to drive on shiradi now. So no pictures of the work on that road.
Old 13th April 2015, 11:22   #5948
Senior - BHPian

Took Mangalore- Uppinangady- Charmadi - Mudigere - Hassan- Bangalore on Saturday. We started at 145 pm IST and reached at 10 pm IST including the usual dinner and pee breaks.

We usually start early mornings from mangalore , but this time I had some last min work and got delayed.

Charmadi was a mess with a long jam in between. Initially I thought this was yet another breakdown on the hair pins only to realise later on that on this was an avoidable mess. No one was giving way to the longer vehicles on the hair pin bends and as a result traffic was stuck on both sides !!
Attaching a few pics :

Dunno what's with bangalore registered drivers that they just seem to lack common sense ! The second pic shows this van driver right behind me who caused one more jam

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428903713.112832.jpgThe art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428903740.444784.jpgThe art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428904254.294500.jpg

A short video of one of the many jams. Watch till the end and you will realise this was easily avoidable

Another jam ( my DVR was off at this point ) was at the top of the ghat where this trailer truck carrying a huge bulldozer was crawling downhill. This vehicle was easily longer than a B9R and dunno how would he have done the hair pin bends. Would have cause a big mess for sure even if he had toppled somewhere. How did he even manage to get into the narrow road ? I am anyways writing to NHAI on this. Have a small video clip from my mobile phone.

Had a couple of close calls as well

Inspite of this , we still prefer taking Charmadi for our mangalore drives and return is usually via Madikeri. My advice to everyone doing Charmadi is to avoid it if planning to cross it between 7 am to 8 pm IST.

A few more pics

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428904285.776954.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428904338.584964.jpg
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 13:26   #5949
BHPian

I have a weekend trip to Bekal coming up and need expert advice with respect to the route options.

Looking at various threads to Kerala, I infer that, since Shiradi ghat is still closed, the Madikeri route is preferred currently.

Bangalore-Madikeri Stretch:
I see 3 route options from North Bangalore (Hebbal). Which one is better currently?
1. Hebbal-Channarayapattana-Holenarasipur-Arakalagud-Kushalnagar-Madikeri.
2. Hebbal-Channarayapattana-Holenarasipur-Arakalagud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri.
3. Hebbal-Hassan-Gorur-Arakalagud-Madikeri. I can travel in the 4 lane till Hassan though the route is longer. But I am not sure about the Hassan-Gorur-Arakalagud stretch.

I did see the routes through Mysore road/Hunsur, which are of equal distance, but I do not prefer that because of the numerous speed breakers and traffic.

Madikeri-Bekal Stretch:
1. Madikeri-Sampaje-Sullia-Left turn at Chengala-Chattanchal-Bekal.
2. Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Panathur-Right turn at Puthiyavalapu towards Bekal. I am slightly skeptical about this route as the road through the Talacauveri National park seems to be narrow and deserted (refer the video in this link)

Which one of the above two routes are better? I will be driving only during day time for the Madikeri-Bekal stretch during onward and return.

Breakfast Options in Madikeri:
I am planning to start at 4 AM from Bangalore and reach Bekal by 1 PM. I intend to reach Madikeri by 9 AM for breakfast. The hotels I saw in Madikeri mostly open for lunch and dinner. Are there any good breakfast options in Madikeri with clean toilets?

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 13th April 2015 at 13:28.
Old 13th April 2015, 13:28   #5950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
I have a weekend trip to Bekal coming up and need expert advice with respect to the route options.
Have you seen this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-info-13.html

It has all the info you need.

What I would suggest:

- Bangalore-CR Patna (Breakfast @ &6:30/7 AM)-Holenarasipur-Arkalgud-Shanivarsanthe-Somewarpet-Madikeri-Sampaje-Sulia-Jalsoor-Cherkala-Bekal
- See how to avoid the bad road between CR Patna and Holenarasipur (see post by @guyfrmblr)
- It would about 2.5/3 hours drive to 180km. In time for an early breakfast at Mayura.
- Maybe a short tea/coffee break at Madikeri

Last edited by ampere : 13th April 2015 at 13:32.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 13:52   #5951
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ampere for pointing me to that thread. I was misguided by another old/inactive thread with a similar name. I have requested mods to close that.

Quote:
- See how to avoid the bad road between CR Patna and Holenarasipur (see post by @guyfrmblr)
This is why we love Team-Bhp.
Old 13th April 2015, 14:03   #5952
Distinguished - BHPian

From what I recall, that 2 kms of Bad stretch between CR Patna and Holenarasipura (exactly before Holenarasipura) is all done now.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 15:18   #5953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

Dunno what's with bangalore registered drivers that they just seem to lack common sense ! The second pic shows this van driver right behind me who caused one more jam

Attachment 1359959
Was the Amaze guy trying to do something amazing in the above pic?

Also I see most of the white board cars, driven by well educated drivers not following the lane discipline in such narrow roads.
Old 13th April 2015, 23:02   #5954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
From what I recall, that 2 kms of Bad stretch between CR Patna and Holenarasipura (exactly before Holenarasipura) is all done now.
That's a great news. If it's done, the travel time will be cut short by atleast 15-20 minutes. Hope they do something for that narrow railway crossing near the town. It's not a major bottleneck but sometimes I have witnessed crazy wait times due to two KSRTC buses trying to cross simultaneously.

Parag, do you know the road conditions between Magadi - Huliyurdurga - Nagamangala? One of my friend who is fed up of wait times at toll booths wants to do a toll free drive between Bangalore - Hassan. I have suggested him Bangalore - Magadi - Huliyurdurga - Nagamangala - Shravanabelagola - Channarayapatna - Agrahara - (continue straight towards Hassan instead of taking left towards Holenarasipura on SH-121) - Hassan. This route passes almost parallel to NH-48. I don't know the recent conditions of Magadi - Nagamangala. All other stretches are just great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Was the Amaze guy trying to do something amazing in the above pic?

Also I see most of the white board cars, driven by well educated drivers not following the lane discipline in such narrow roads.
And most of those morons will be driving Bangalore registered cars. Wherever they go, the same kind of urgency what they show in ORR will be displayed. Usually any vehicle other than Bangalore registered will display utmost matured behavior in such situations.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 13th April 2015 at 23:09.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 23:27   #5955
BHPian

Took the Charmadi route to Mlore for the first time ever, on the Friday night, by trailing a bus called Bharati Tourist. It began pouring as soon as we crossed CR patna. No jams on Charmadi at early hrs, but was surprised to spot all kinds of cv's, right from lpg lorries to parcel lorries take that route. Anyways, do not intend to take that route anymore. Sampaje is the best alternative to Shiradi, any day.

Most Viewed