Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2015, 10:09   #5896
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwinbr View Post
Hello guys.. I am in Udupi now and I am planning to travel back to Hyderabad today but via Bangalore. The reason is there is no good place to break the journey if I take the same route that I took when I came here. I read thru this post here but frankly I am lost. What would be the best route to Bangalore?
You can drive till Hospet. Udupi-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shimoga-Chitradurga-Hospet.

Hospet has Royal Orchid and Maliligi. You can stay in there. Good hotels.

The next day go via Raichur. No need to go via Bangalore.
Old 14th March 2015, 13:09   #5897
BHPian

Thanks Amp.. appreciate your info. Sorry for a bit off topic here...I am planning to leave Udupi at 3. Do you still feel Hospet is doable by 10pm? Not sure if the route from Shimoga to Hospet via Chitradurga is good. I tried the Harihar route while onwards but Shimoga to Harihar will make the journey tiring I am sure. As an alternate, can you suggest the best route to Bangalore and if possible a place of stay that will be easier to enter and exit Bangalore?
Old 14th March 2015, 13:18   #5898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Amp.. appreciate your info. Sorry for a bit off topic here...I am planning to leave Udupi at 3. Do you still feel Hospet is doable by 10pm? Not sure if the route from Shimoga to Hospet via Chitradurga is good. I tried the Harihar route while onwards but Shimoga to Harihar will make the journey tiring I am sure. As an alternate, can you suggest the best route to Bangalore and if possible a place of stay that will be easier to enter and exit Bangalore?

There is a good hotel around Devanahalli just before airport signal.

http://www.hotelpresidencyblr.com

You can do : Nelamangala-Doddaballapur-Devanahalli-Airport (Or drive through Bangalore)

Best Route to Bangalore:

Ududpi-Hebri-Someshwar-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shimoga-Bhadravathi-Arsikere-Channarayapatna-Kunigal-Nelamangala-Bangalore

There is a way to bypass Shimoga, but I dont want to suggest as it may make lose your way.

Here is the full route :

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...sz=15&t=m&z=15

Last edited by ampere : 14th March 2015 at 13:22.
Old 15th March 2015, 08:16   #5899
BHPian

Hi ampere.. Thanks much for those fabulous details.. in fact I was forced to go towards Bangalore as I left Manipal late evening. The reason I had requested the alternative was because I was traveling with kids and did not want to tire them. Thanks again my friend
Ashwinbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 09:18   #5900
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi ampere.. Thanks much for those fabulous details.. in fact I was forced to go towards Bangalore as I left Manipal late evening. The reason I had requested the alternative was because I was traveling with kids and did not want to tire them. Thanks again my friend
Hope you did not lose your way and were able to make it to Bangalore without any trouble. As regards to bypassing Shimoga the following is what I meant:

Route Link

But I am sure, in the dark, you could have easily missed it. Hence did not want to suggest.

Also did you finally stay at Presidency? If yes, how would you rate the place?

Last edited by ampere : 15th March 2015 at 09:39.
Old 15th March 2015, 19:17   #5901
BHPian

No, I did not ampere. It took me about 6.5hrs (with one break) to reach a tad before Nelamangala.
I did not have the energy to drive until Presidency. Also coupled with the thought of getting stuck in potential & dreadful Saturday traffic, I chose to stay at Ankit Vistas. An average place for 4500 bucks.

Last edited by Ashwinbr : 15th March 2015 at 19:19.
Old 16th March 2015, 13:37   #5902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Folks, how is the scene at the twin railway crossings on the ORR before it hits NH-4 @ Yeshwantpur? Is it still the same mad state of affairs? Thanks in advance...
Hi, I travelled on this road today morning. The KSRTC bus from Mangalore came via Madikeri-Holenarasipur-Channarayapatna-Nelamangala-Bangalore. Got down at Goraguntepalya and the city bus took the ORR and passed through these 2 railway gates. A portion of the road near the railway crossing is asphalted, but not the complete stretch. Traffic was slow moving and chaotic at 7.00am itself. You can imagine then how it can be during peak hours. Until the overbridge is completed, it is better to take alternate routes during peak hours.
Old 16th March 2015, 13:37   #5903
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to travel on 25th(Early morning, just two people) to Mangalore in Polo. I am looking for good roads(little longer distance is fine with me).

I was thinking of taking following route(based on speedsatya's last trip)
- Nelamangala
- Breakfast at Hotel Mayura(just after Bellur Cross)
- Kushalanagar
- Madikeri
- Mangalore

Route map

Any help is appreciated.
Old 16th March 2015, 13:59   #5904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Hi,

I am planning to travel on 25th(Early morning, just two people) to Mangalore in Polo. I am looking for good roads(little longer distance is fine with me).

- Nelamangala
- Kushalanagar
- Madikeri
- Mangalore

Route map

Any help is appreciated.
Don't go to Kushalnagar. The stretch between Arakalagud - Ramanathapura is not that great. I have modified the route through Somawarapete: https://goo.gl/maps/6aibv. Good roads all the way. I have also modified the route between Channarayapatna - Holenarasipura so that you can avoid a 2 km bad stretch.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 14:41   #5905
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
- Nelamangala
- Kushalanagar
- Madikeri
- Mangalore
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Don't go to Kushalnagar. The stretch between Arakalagud - Ramanathapura is not that great. I have modified the route through Somawarapete https://goo.gl/maps/6aibv. Good roads all the way. I have also modified the route between Channarayapatna - Holenarasipura so that you can avoid a 2 km bad stretch.
Yesterday while coming from Puttur, I took the route mentioned by guyfrmblr. Roads are excellent all the way, took almost 2.30 hrs to reach Channaraypattna from Madikeri. Roads are bit twisty once you cross Somvarpete towards Madikeri, do watch out for speeding buses.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 16th March 2015 at 14:58. Reason: Removed extra space
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 22:54   #5906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

- Nelamangala

- Kushalanagar

- Madikeri

- Mangalore

Route map

Any help is appreciated.

I am having issues with opening Google Maps ! Do not take this road if you have a time constraint to reach your destination

Kushalnagar isn't on this route. It's the arakalagud - somwarpet road on Google Maps that I used.

Quote:
have also modified the route between Channarayapatna - Holenarasipura so that you can avoid a 2 km bad stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Yesterday while coming from Puttur, I took the route mentioned by guyfrmblr. Roads are excellent all the way, took almost 2.30 hrs to reach Channaraypattna from Madikeri. Roads are bit twisty once you cross Somvarpete towards Madikeri, do watch out for speeding buses.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1426526539.160895.jpgThe art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1426526571.092531.jpg

For me it was a very peaceful drive with hardly any traffic. Just the occasional KSRTC red bus

Will check my DVR if I still have videos from this drive
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 01:12   #5907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have also modified the route between Channarayapatna - Holenarasipura so that you can avoid a 2 km bad stretch.

Are you talking of this stretch ? If yes , didnt understand from your link . I am travelling again in April Wk1 , can check out your route
Old 21st March 2015, 23:49   #5908
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Are you talking of this stretch ? If yes , didnt understand from your link . I am travelling again in April Wk1 , can check out your route
This is the route @guyfrmblr is referring to - From Channarayapatna to Holenarasipura via Agrahara. This will help avoid a hellish 2Km stretch near the Government Polytechnic at Holenarasipura.
Link
Old 27th March 2015, 12:44   #5909
BHPian

I am planning to travel to Udupi tomorrow (3/28) from Vijaya bank layout, please suggest me which is the best route right now? I traveled in December through Shiradi ghat which is closed now (?)...
Old 27th March 2015, 12:50   #5910
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
I am planning to travel to Udupi tomorrow (3/28) from Vijaya bank layout, please suggest me which is the best route right now? I traveled in December through Shiradi ghat which is closed now (?)...
I think one good option is to go via Agumbe.
An earlier post on this - here

Most Viewed