Old 1st April 2015, 07:45   #5911
Distinguished - BHPian

Revised toll on 2 plazas between Hassan and Nelamangala-
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1427854457805.jpg  

paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 12:53   #5912

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Planning a Bangalore to Kukke Subrahmanya pilgrimage next week. Now that Shiradi ghat is closed, I'm planning a route via Channarayapatna-Arakalgud as I don't want to go through Mysore.

Is it required to go through kushalnagar and then to somwarpet?
Is there any way to reach Somwarpet without having to go through Kushalnagar?

Any other suggestions where the route has good pothole free drivable roads are also earnestly solicited.
Old 1st April 2015, 13:46   #5913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydNaz View Post

Any other suggestions where the route has good pothole free drivable roads are also earnestly solicited.
No need to go through Kushalnagar. From Arakalgudu take route which goes through Mallipatna where you need to take a deviation towards your left which connects to Somwarpet. For more info you can refer to the post by @guyfrmblr
Link
Old 1st April 2015, 20:39   #5914
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydNaz View Post
Planning a Bangalore to Kukke Subrahmanya pilgrimage next week. Now that Shiradi ghat is closed, I'm planning a route via Channarayapatna-Arakalgud as I don't want to go through Mysore.

The route is Bangalore-Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri-Sullia. At Sullia you need to turn right, join the Jalsoor road near Doddathota and go to Kukke Subrahmanya.

There is a horrible 2Km stretch near Holenarasipura Govt. Polytechnic which can be avoided by going via Agrahara from Channrayapatna, This route is more scenic as well This will also take you to Holenarasipura avoiding the bad stretch on the regular route I mentioned above. Rest of the route is same. Details of this route variant are in @guyfromblr's earlier post.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 23:14   #5915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Revised toll on 2 plazas between Hassan and Nelamangala-
So only the L&T Toll rates have come down? Surprising.
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:18   #5916
Senior - BHPian

Travelling early morning tomorrow to Kundapur . What are the breakfast options just before / after Agumbe ? We will be starting around 2/3 am from Bangalore
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:23   #5917
Team-BHP Support

I am a regular at this place for lunch and breakfast.

http://www.ashoklodge.com/location/
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:59   #5918

I'm also planning to drive down to Turtle Bay, Kundapura tomorrow morning (5 AM) from E'city, BLR. Do you all feel E'City -> CR Patna -> Arsikere -> Shimoga -> Tirthahalli -> Agumbe -> Shankarnarayana -> Kundapura -> Turtle Bay will be the best possible route? Google Map shows 496 Km.

Or Mysore-Madikeri-Mangalore-Udupi-Kundapur/ Turtle Bay will be more straight forward (504 kms). Although, lots of colleagues suggesting to opt for Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Karkala route but feeling it'll be seeing heavy traffic due to closed Shiradi ghat.

Kind of confused..and need help. I'll be driving an alto with kid and family.
Old 2nd April 2015, 14:21   #5919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomExpress View Post
I'm also planning to drive down to Turtle Bay, Kundapura tomorrow morning (5 AM) from E'city, BLR. Do you all feel E'City -> CR Patna -> Arsikere -> Shimoga -> Tirthahalli -> Agumbe -> Shankarnarayana -> Kundapura -> Turtle Bay will be the best possible route? Google Map shows 496 Km.
Best route is this. If you can bypass Shimoga by taking Koppa road after Bhadravati. Unless you need to stop for breakfast, there is no need to go to Shimoga. You can skip Shankarnarayana route, instead you can go to Hebri and then turn to Halady.

For Kundapura taking route via Charmadi is not ok. Charmadi has more ghat section compared to Agumbe.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 2nd April 2015 at 14:38.
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:21   #5920

Thanks a lot for this route direction. Hope the road conditions are ok as I'll be driving my good old hatchback.
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:35   #5921
BHPian

^^^
Till Tirthahalli roads are good. There are here and there some rough patches, but nothing to worry about. Between Tirthahalli and Agumbe roads fine (no potholes) but may not be as smooth. Someshwara to Basrur, again roads are good with very little pothole.

I take these road once in three months to go to Kundapur (last time in Jan) from last three years. This road is far less tiring than Charmadi for me. Previously I tried Mangalore road (when Shiradi still open), super roads but traffic between Mangalore ~ Kundapur is too much. Via Belur , Chikmagaluru, agumbe, road between Chikmagaluru and Sringeri is always had patches. Finally shifted to above route and persisting with it. I mostly take via shimoga because of breakfast reasons. If I leave home(Gottigere) at 5 to 5:30, I reach Shimoga at 8:30 for breakfast.
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:40   #5922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
If I leave home(Gottigere) at 5 to 5:30, I reach Shimoga at 8:30 for breakfast.
That is 316Kms in 3-3.5 hours, what do you drive? I need at least 5-5.5 hours for the same distance.
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:06   #5923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is 316Kms in 3-3.5 hours, what do you drive? I need at least 5-5.5 hours for the same distance.
Yes, on average it take 3.5 to 4 hours to reach early morning drive. Not that I am dashing, drive between 80~110km with at most one break!
Old 2nd April 2015, 20:35   #5924

Thanks...Plan is to start before 5 as there will be loads of traffic at toll booths tomorrow Will share an update once back from Kundapura.
Old 5th April 2015, 22:18   #5925
Senior - BHPian

Started at 245 am and reached Kundapur at 10 am last Friday. This included a 45 mins breakfast stop at Thirthahalli.

About the drive , there was heavy truck traffic as we were nearing Bhadravathi. SH 65 as usual was a breeze to drive on. Traffic on Agumbe was bad with a lot of idiots( all of them Bangalore registered taxis ) trying to overtake on the hairpin bends ! Dunno what's with Bangalore drivers to keep honking even on an empty stretch of road.

Overall , an uneventful drive.

I was speaking to a relative who does Bangalore Kundapur regularly and he was asking me to do via Sringeri and Chikmagalur instead of NH206. Any updates on this route ?

Has anyone driven through Hulikal recently ?

Quote:
I am a regular at this place for lunch and breakfast.

http://www.ashoklodge.com/location/

Wouldn't recommend this for people travelling with families. The restaurant doesn't even have bathrooms. Didn't try the food. Instead we drive a big ahead and are at Kamath ( not for the Kamath chain of hotels ). Food was decent , bathrooms were manageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
^^^
. If I leave home(Gottigere) at 5 to 5:30, I reach Shimoga at 8:30 for breakfast.

Quote:

Yeah 👀 what and how do you drive !!

Most Viewed