Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2012, 23:59   #4441
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyon View Post
@Rohanjf I am planning on 22nd Morning Saturday aroud 6-7AM. Plan is to go from
Bangalore - Subramanya temple visit - Ujire (stay).. (back on 25th).

The best I can do is to update the exact road condition on this thread by evening once I reach Ujire on Saturday , provided those Shiradi Craters wont break my back !!
Charmadi road condition update..

As mentioned earlier I didn't go through Shiradi as there was a change in plan. Did Bangalore to Ujire through Charmadi.

Roads are good except 6-8 Kms of the Ghat, but still manageable not like Shiradi craters... Road repair is in progress and once you see Charmadi 7 Km mark new roads till Ujire..

Did see an accident between Linea and a KSRTC Bus in one of the turnings..
Probably it had happened early in the morning and it was not even a blind turning. Probably one of the drivers misjudged the turning path. Bus had a lot of damages in the front and Linea had taken the hit well. The passenger cabin was intact. Hope no one has suffered any injuries.
Old 24th December 2012, 21:41   #4442
BHPian

I am planning to do Bangalore-Shimoga-Sringeri and take the Sringeri-chikkamagalore-Hassan route on the way back. I would like to know about good outlets for re-fueling along these routes, as I want to avoid filling bad quality diesel.
Old 25th December 2012, 20:39   #4443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I am planning to do Bangalore-Shimoga-Sringeri and take the Sringeri-chikkamagalore-Hassan route on the way back. I would like to know about good outlets for re-fueling along these routes, as I want to avoid filling bad quality diesel.
Although this is OT, let me answer your question. In the first leg, you have two Kamat's till tumkur. You can also stop over at the CCD just after Arsikere town on the LH side. It is almost midway between BLR & Shimoga.. The entire stretch of road between the two cities is good except for some stretches between Birur and Bhadravathi.I am guessing you plan to visit Shimoga on purpose because this route to Sringeri is not the shortest.

In the second leg, there's a CCD in Chikmagalur and one more between Hassan and Chenrayapatna. Hope this helps.

PM me if you need any further info on the route. All the best.
naut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 21:12   #4444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Although this is OT, let me answer your question. In the first leg, you have two Kamat's till tumkur. You can also stop over at the CCD just after Arsikere town on the LH side. It is almost midway between BLR & Shimoga.. The entire stretch of road between the two cities is good except for some stretches between Birur and Bhadravathi.I am guessing you plan to visit Shimoga on purpose because this route to Sringeri is not the shortest.

In the second leg, there's a CCD in Chikmagalur and one more between Hassan and Chenrayapatna. Hope this helps.

PM me if you need any further info on the route. All the best.
Hey... he wants to re-fuel his vehicle and not himself

Anyways, drove the Shiradi Ghat on Sunday night. The road is still being patched up. Patching is complete upto Chowdeshwari temple from Sakleshpur side.

Last edited by gypsyFreak : 25th December 2012 at 21:21. Reason: posting update
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 21:38   #4445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Yes... but thanks to @naut for the info about CCD at Arasikere. I dont remember there was a CCD at that place last time I did this route in early 2011. If the CCD has a accompanying petrol bunk, it should be a reliable one for filling the car as well.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 23:42   #4446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post

Anyways, drove the Shiradi Ghat on Sunday night. The road is still being patched up. Patching is complete upto Chowdeshwari temple from Sakleshpur side.
My bad! What was I thinking, stupid me. Sorry about the goof up!. By the way the CCD at arsikere does not have a fuel pump attached.I will PM mohan about the fuel station details separately as it would be OT here.
Old 26th December 2012, 13:04   #4447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Yes... but thanks to @naut for the info about CCD at Arasikere. I dont remember there was a CCD at that place last time I did this route in early 2011. If the CCD has a accompanying petrol bunk, it should be a reliable one for filling the car as well.
Hi,

Did Bangalore - Belur - Sringeri & returned Sringeri - Shimoga - Bangalore over last weekend. Started from Bangalore with full tank & refueled at Indian Oil Bunk Sringeri - didn't have any problems with the car.

Satish
satshen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 13:21   #4448
BHPian

Did this trip last weekend (22nd Dec):
Bangalore -- NH 75 (formerly NH 48) -- Sakleshpura -- Hetthur -- Bisle -- Kukke Subramanya -- Dharmasthala -- Charmadi -- Mudigere -- Chikkamagalur -- Mullaiyanagiri -- Kemmannugundi -- Tarikere -- NH 206 -- Bangalore.

Bisle road is bad as usual, but that's the fun part. Charmadi is good; newly laid asphalt in lower parts of the ghat. Mudigere to Chikkamagalur (SH 64) is good too. Mullaiyanagiri to Kemmannugundi is very good initially, and deteriorates as soon as Bhadra reserve forest limit starts. Kemmannugundi to Tarikere is good too, with new concrete road in ghat sections.
Old 26th December 2012, 14:29   #4449
BHPian

I did a little trip of Bangalore-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Uppinagadi-Belthangadi-Moodbidri-Karkala-Manipal-Udupi-Mangalore-Bangalore. Shirady ghat is being patched up and is manageble. Only 4-5kms stretch near gundya is bad, in patches, and the repair work is catching up. May be in a week or so it will be done. Excellent roads everywhere else.

Stay:
Moodbidri - Hotel Ballal tourist - Excellent
Udupi - Udupi Residency - Not great, everything smells nonveg.
Mangalore - Kavitha Residency at Urwa stores - so so, bottom end of a deluxe.
Old 26th December 2012, 21:47   #4450
BHPian

Back from a trip to M'lore.

The ghat section was manageable with my Ritz though you have to be really careful at certain sections. I would advise to travel light with minimum luggage and passengers specially when doing this stretch in a hatchback or sedan.

Did the return trip in KSRTC Airavat with peaceful sleep. I will be travelling again this saturday and return with my car on Mon/Tue. Hoping the patchwork gets completed by then.
Old 27th December 2012, 10:14   #4451
BHPian

Back from a trip to Kundapur to visit temples. Some updates on road conditions:

Outward route:

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Kundapur.

Road conditions (1) Bangalore - Hassan really good, but watch for diversions where road construction work is going on. (2) Hassan - Belur 2 lane road is in very good condition and could go upto 80 km/h. (3) Belur - Aldur the road is deteriorated, not a comfortable drive. (4) Aldur - Balehonnur the road through forest area is deteriorated. (5) Sringeri - Agumbe - Kundapur road is good in parts though not much of problem. Some of the hairpin bends on Agumbe ghat have deteriorated and one needs to be alert. Had a great experience of seeing rare lion tailed macacques crossing the Agumbe ghat road.

Return route:

Kundapur - Agumbe -Sringeri - Thirthahalli - Shimoga - Tarikere - Amruthapara Temple - Bangalore.

Road Conditions (1) Sringeri - Thirthahalli - Shimoga, 2 lane road in good condition and could maintain good speed. (2) Shimoga - Tarikere very good road. (3) Tarikere - Amruthapura temple - Tarikere road good in parts, the rough patches are really bad. (3) Tarikere - Bangalore very good road.

Satish
Old 27th December 2012, 15:37   #4452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satshen View Post
Return route:

Kundapur - Agumbe -Sringeri - Thirthahalli - Shimoga - Tarikere - Amruthapara Temple - Bangalore.

Road Conditions (1) Sringeri - Thirthahalli - Shimoga,
Is there any reason why you went to Sringeri even on the return journey. I am asking because, Agumbe-Sringeri-Thirthalli is a roundabout when you have a direct Agumbe-Thirthalli road.
Old 27th December 2012, 16:29   #4453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Is there any reason why you went to Sringeri even on the return journey. I am asking because, Agumbe-Sringeri-Thirthalli is a roundabout when you have a direct Agumbe-Thirthalli road.
We went back to Sringeri on the return journey because there was a special puja of the Deity. Yes, Agumbe-Thirthalli road is the shorter route.
Old 29th December 2012, 15:36   #4454
BHPian

Took the Day Bus on the 28th Dec. MLR - BLR. Most of the Shiradi route is repaired. A very small section was being worked on. I was in a Volvo Bus but it was easy to figure out that the surface is very "patchy!" The deep gullies have all given way to uneven patchwork. Motor-able - but uneven; Any day better than the earlier avatar
CLIX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2012, 08:02   #4455
BHPian

Did a Kundapura-Udupi-MLR-BLR drive on 29th Dec. Shiradi is now easily do-able in a fully loaded sedan - absolutely no craters and work is only going on in 3-4 places. Wouldnt be exaggeration to say that roads in Sakleshpur town are perhaps worse than in the ghat section !
enygma is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks