Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 00:14   #4426
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Thanks a lot Folks! . I will try my best to leave early say 6-7 AM .

2. Hotel Krishna @ Hassan
have a safe trip...could not resist posting this, try the Hassan Iyengar Bakery near the famous Hassanamba temple. Great pit stop for some yummy bakery stuff.
Old 19th December 2012, 00:25   #4427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post

have a safe trip...could not resist posting this, try the Hassan Iyengar Bakery near the famous Hassanamba temple. Great pit stop for some yummy bakery stuff.
Nothing great about this bakery now :(, the management has changed and so has the quality.
Old 19th December 2012, 02:11   #4428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Nothing great about this bakery now :(, the management has changed and so has the quality.
thats sad...thanks anyway
Old 19th December 2012, 10:27   #4429
BHPian

Did the Sakleshpur - Mangalore - Udupi - Goa on the 13th Dec 12. Here are the updates:

Patch work done upto 21 km from Sakleshpur on Shiradi Ghat. Only about 8-10 km of the stretch is bad but manageable if driven carefully.
Rest of the road all the way to Mangalore is in great shape.
Mangalore (Padil) to Udupi four laning still going on and it seems to be forever. Heavy traffic too.
Udupi all the way till 6 km before Ankola (Kundapur - Bhatkal - Honnavar - Kumta), roads are in terrible shape.
It took us 8.5 hours from Sakleshpur - Karwar, a stretch of 396 km at an average of 46 km/ hour.

Ankola all the way to Banaulim is in great shape.
sapna gurukar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 11:15   #4430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsense View Post
Thank you for the replies, Samurai, CLIX and floyd.bell. Its a relief to know that I need not endure the Lunar parts of NH48 to get to Mugilu.
CLIX, I will look out for the lane switching - thanks for the heads up. Its the same thing I do while driving the last 25-30 km stretch from Salem to Coimbatore!
floyd.bell, yes, I do have the Corsa and I love driving it on the highway for its ride quality. But I was hoping to drive the Civic to Mugilu since its a family trip and its more spacious and comfy. Is the last 1.5km stretch absolutely not doable in a Civic, even say, by going real slow in the 1st gear?
Hey civicsense, The 7.5km stretch from Manjarabad fort to Mugilu is a narrow single lane road which has some pot holed sections. Your civic will do just fine. This road cannot take two big vehicles side by side. If you have an oncoming vehicle, just stop in your track & let the other guy get off the road.
The last 1.5km is a mud road which has been leveled now. Drive slow & you will not have problem reaching Mugilu
chandan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 12:06   #4431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
A friend of mine knows a KSRTC Volvo bus driver who drives between Bangalore and Mangalore. So my friend checked with him and told me that about 50% of the patchwork is completed. Like last year, I guess most work will be completed by year end.
Hey, thanks for this update. Yesterday I was debating between Shiradi and Agumbe route. Just few minutes before I started, I saw your post and decided for Shiradi.

Yes, the roads are half fixed now. They must be fixing couple Kms every day, should be complete by Christmas at this rate. There was film shooting going on at one place on Shiradi, for a movie called googly. I didn't see any action though.

Old 19th December 2012, 17:19   #4432
BHPian

Talking of mangalore, the road via Mysore, Mercara and Sulya, I know the road is great till Sulya. Any update on road beyond Sulya and Puttur? I will be driving to Udupi from Mysore on 23 Dec and will be there till 28 Dec in Paradise Isle Resort.

So let me know the best route

Mys-->Mercara-->Sulya-->>>>Udupi
or
Mys-->Hassan-->Sakleshpura-->>>>Udupi

Thanks in advance

shanks
Old 19th December 2012, 21:44   #4433
Senior - BHPian

I will driving Friday night around 12 am from Bangalore. Grey Dezire Vdi it will be.
Old 21st December 2012, 16:20   #4434
BHPian

Guys,
What is the best route from Hassan to Horanadu. I will be driving Scropio full with family.
Route i am considering is Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kalasa - Horanadu

Any other alternatives. Is there a route via Hassan - Sakleshpur to Horanadu?
Old 21st December 2012, 16:42   #4435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Guys,
What is the best route from Hassan to Horanadu. I will be driving Scropio full with family.
Route i am considering is Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kalasa - Horanadu

Any other alternatives. Is there a route via Hassan - Sakleshpur to Horanadu?
The first route is the best and shortest one. The route via Sakleshpur will go through Mudigere only. So it does not make sense to go all the way to Sakleshpur and then join Mudigere. Although it is only 7-8 kms more than the Belur route, it is considerably slower as it is narrow (from Sakleshpur) and there is a bad stretch of about approx 15 kms.

The other alternative is Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Magundi-Balehole-Horanadu. This is a bit longer than the Kottigehara route by about 15 kms.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 13:11   #4436
BHPian

Did BLR-Kukke-Udupi in my Ford Fusion yesterday.

Route
Most of the road is good but with diversions here and there. Only some parts of Shiradi ghat is bad requiring you to slow down to a crawl and work is on to fix the same.

Restaurants
As suggested by many, I tried Hotel Mythri @ Sakleshpur. It was good. I would recommend it to others too. I also felt Hotel Ossur & Surabhi Nx might be good as well. Planning to stop over at one of these place on the way back.

Also, visited Hotel Sadanand @ Surathkal for old times sake!. This was an old hangout for us about a decade back. Felt Nostalgic in there.

Spotting BHPians

Spotted two of you enroute. This is probably OT, please pardon me! but I thought it might be relevant here.
  1. Red Vento Tdi (KA 05 xx xxxx). You overtook me after the second toll both and I flashed headlights soon after spotting the sticker with team-bhp url on the boot door. You passed by a second time when I had pulled over to attend to my son about 10 kms from Donigal.
  2. White Suzuki GV (KA 20 x xxxx). My guess => Samurai-san. About 10 kms from Donigal between 12:30-12:50. I was too occupied with attending to my son. I spotted you after you'd crossed my parked car. I saw the sticker with team-bhp url on the hatch door.

I will head back on Tuesday!

PS: I do not have team-bhp stickers on my car yet. Waiting for the stocks to arrive so I can order a set.
Old 23rd December 2012, 13:35   #4437
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
[*]White Suzuki GV (KA 20 x xxxx). My guess => Samurai-san. About 10 kms from Donigal between 12:30-12:50. I was too occupied with attending to my son. I spotted you after you'd crossed my parked car. I saw the sticker with team-bhp url on the hatch door.
Yeah, that was me. My second trip this week. You were in which car?
Old 23rd December 2012, 14:38   #4438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yeah, that was me. My second trip this week. You were in which car?
I was in my Ford Fusion. Metallic Light Blue/Green.
Old 23rd December 2012, 18:19   #4439
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't believe what I saw on the ghat. It was only last Friday that this ghat was full of craters. And this Friday I see that most of them have been repaired. Yeah there are stretches with bad patches , but nothing as bad as it was earlier.

Did mangalore in just about 6 hours. 11pm to 445 am including the usual pit n pee stops
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 19:45   #4440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The first route is the best and shortest one. The route via Sakleshpur will go through Mudigere only. So it does not make sense to go all the way to Sakleshpur and then join Mudigere. Although it is only 7-8 kms more than the Belur route, it is considerably slower as it is narrow (from Sakleshpur) and there is a bad stretch of about approx 15 kms.

The other alternative is Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Magundi-Balehole-Horanadu. This is a bit longer than the Kottigehara route by about 15 kms.
The Hassan -->Chikamagalur-->Balehonnur -->> is better than any other route

shanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks