Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:01   #4381
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
just wondering when will they take up road repair work as this is the usual time they start relaying tar.
Patch work has started from Sakleshpur side - noticed the work on my way to Mangalore last week. Will have to wait and watch to see if the same contractor has the order to patch the entire bad stretch.

The bad stretch starts from 113 km Stone ( to Mangalore ) and ends at 86 km stone ( just after Gundya ). Last week, I took - onwards : Bangalore 8.30am, Mangalore 3.30pm with one hour for the ghat section. Returning, Mangalore 9.30pm, Bangalore 3am. For night drivers, numerous diversions on the Channarayapatna - Hassan section are not well marked and can be a irritant with heavy oncoming traffic.
roamingrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:48   #4382
BHPian

Just back from a trip to Mangalore through Shiradi in my Ritz.

Left B'lore on Sat at 4:00 AM and reached M'lore by 11:00AM. Left M'lore yesterday at 10:30 PM and reached B'lore by 5:00 AM.

4:00 AM is the ideal time to leave M'lore/B'lore when travelling through Shiradi. Night driving becomes really bad with all the buses in the ghat section. It took me close to 1 hour 15 min to cover the ghat section while going to M'lore and while returning it took me 1 hour 45 min. I had to be really careful while returning coz of luggage and extra passengers.

Shiradi route is still doable if you are careful and patient.

Saw a BHPian in a red Santro with LCLC decal in the back bumper zipping through the section. I was not able to notice the reg no. as I was trying to negotiate one of the worst section of the ghats.
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:50   #4383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Yes that was my observation too. it now takes 1 hour or more to cover this distance. BTW, you dont need to notice condition of Shiradi in a MM550. You can sing "Gandada gudi" Title track and drive it.
Yeah, one hour is minimum now if you rip in a SUV or Jeep. Hatch/Sedan may take up to 1.5 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzien123 View Post
[Ford Fiesta Diesel, single person]
Did MLR-BLR via Shiradi, Hassan in 6hours on Fri, 30 Dec. Thought Shiradi was pretty ok - took about 45 min between Gundya-Sakleshpur.
This is still the fastest route.
Why are you reporting a year old drive? Right now 45min for Gundya-Sakleshpur is a dream. That happens only during Feb-June period.
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:30   #4384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell

OK, so your final destination is Bangalore. Then I would suggest you to travel to Shimoga from Agumbe via Thirthahalli and halt at Shimoga. The road from Agumbe to Thirthahalli is bad in patches. Thirthahalli onwards till Shimoga and all the way till Bangalore, the road is good throughout.
Also, you might reach Shimoga faster than reaching Chikmagalur and then can even continue onto Bangalore by having just lunch at Shimoga. Staying options are also good at Shimoga. Hotel Jewel Rock is one good hotel there.
Thanks floyd, I mainly wanted to know the time it would take to my lunch stop. How much time for the kundapura, agumbe, thirthalli, shimoga strech?
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:05   #4385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Thanks floyd, I mainly wanted to know the time it would take to my lunch stop. How much time for the kundapura, agumbe, thirthalli, shimoga strech?
Mid-Nov when I did this stretch, I took 4 and half hours with half hour stop for lunch at Thirthahalli. So, non-stop it should take little over 4 hours.
floyd.bell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:06   #4386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Patch work has started from Sakleshpur side - noticed the work on my way to Mangalore last week. Will have to wait and watch to see if the same contractor has the order to patch the entire bad stretch.
I remember last year, they had started patchwork at around the same time. When I went to Mangalore a few days before Christmas, the work was still going on. When I returned after new year, the work was complete, but was far less than decent. There were no potholes, but the road was uneven and bumpy.

I am finally going to Mangalore after a gap of 8 months and first time this year by car. I hope the road is decent by then
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:38   #4387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I remember last year, they had started patchwork at around the same time
Yes, you are right, patch work had started around Dec 5th and was complete in the first week of Jan 2012. But, remember, the Chief Minister was from the district then and work was completed in record time - as promised. Will they be equally serious this time ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I hope the road is decent by then
Really hope so, Rohan. Pray, if not better than Jan 2012, atleast better than what it is now !
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:41   #4388
BHPian

Today's Hindu news paper - online , there is an info about 25mm patch work going on through sakaleshpura to mangalore. Deadline is supposed to be Dec 20. With election coming up next year first quarter, this news certainly stands. So vacation travellers cheers..
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 09:36   #4389

Hehe, sorry about the messed up month. I meant Fri, 30Nov. I think it was because there were hardly any moving trucks en-route the ghat; it was strange though - they were catching up lunch, may be? Samurai, I am tempted to trust you when you say it must have been a dream since I was surprised myself at that time.
3:55 I was at Gundya, 4:40 I was near that hotel just at the end of the ghat - Nisarga I think?
Old 4th December 2012, 19:58   #4390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzien123 View Post
3:55 I was at Gundya, 4:40 I was near that hotel just at the end of the ghat - Nisarga I think?
Nisarga? I have not heard about that place. Or is it 'Adithya', near uppinangady?
Old 5th December 2012, 19:56   #4391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell

Mid-Nov when I did this stretch, I took 4 and half hours with half hour stop for lunch at Thirthahalli. So, non-stop it should take little over 4 hours.
Was able to cover this strech in 3.5hrs including a 10 min break at theerthalli. The road alternates between smooth and potholed many times until theerthalli. Its smooth sailing from then on.
Old 11th December 2012, 14:36   #4392
BHPian

Had traveled this stretch on 8 Dec 2012. From Muzerabad Fort to about 15 Kms the patch work is complete. You don't have to endure rough roads. But the real effort is required after this stretch. May be they will patch the entire stretch by end of Dec 2012 of before Jan 2nd week. At about 3 places my car OHC bottom scraped against the pot holes, but overall not a nightmarish ones seen during 2008-2009 times.

And during return on 10 Dec 2012 I used the Agumbe Thirthahalli Bangalore road, which was pretty good. Lot of work on road is being carried out near Agumbe which should give an alternative. But some of HP curves in Agumbe Ghats needs some patchwork.
Old 11th December 2012, 17:25   #4393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Today's Hindu news paper - online , there is an info about 25mm patch work going on through sakaleshpura to mangalore. Deadline is supposed to be Dec 20. With election coming up next year first quarter, this news certainly stands. So vacation travellers cheers..
Did BLR - MLR and back.

BLR - MLR via Charmadi (Belur Rd. - Ujere). - There are sections that have potholes / black top missing; but "do-able". 95% of the road is stress free!

Return: MLR - BLR via Shiradi (Sakleshpura) ; Gundya - Sakleshpur sector, some 19km, is a nightmare! Almost gave up. deep trenches on the road. The 25mm patch work will probably fill some 25% depth of the bad trenches On some sections had to request some very cooperative lorry drivers to pass on the "wrong side" as I negotiated the only drivable part of the road. Very bad experience with a 6000km old Swift!

As of today if you are driving a sedan or hatchback -
Charmadi - 7/10 - 95% Good roads
Shiradi - 4/10 - 95% Good roads, but the bad sections are VERY Bad!

Road work is going on on both routes by the way. But Shiradi needs some major repair. In today's state, highly not recommended for sedans & hatchbacks.

Only good part - hardly much traffic on the Shiradi route. Is it because today's a weekday? Is it because people are avoiding the route? Is it because of the time of the day? 10AM - 11AM.
Old 11th December 2012, 19:33   #4394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post

Did BLR - MLR and back.

BLR - MLR via Charmadi (Belur Rd. - Ujere). - There are sections that have potholes / black top missing; but "do-able". 95% of the road is stress free!

Return: MLR - BLR via Shiradi (Sakleshpura) ; Gundya - Sakleshpur sector, some 19km, is a nightmare! Almost gave up. deep trenches on the road. The 25mm patch work will probably fill some 25% depth of the bad trenches On some sections had to request some very cooperative lorry drivers to pass on the "wrong side" as I negotiated the only drivable part of the road. Very bad experience with a 6000km old Swift!

As of today if you are driving a sedan or hatchback -
Charmadi - 7/10 - 95% Good roads
Shiradi - 4/10 - 95% Good roads, but the bad sections are VERY Bad!

Road work is going on on both routes by the way. But Shiradi needs some major repair. In today's state, highly not recommended for sedans & hatchbacks.

Only good part - hardly much traffic on the Shiradi route. Is it because today's a weekday? Is it because people are avoiding the route? Is it because of the time of the day? 10AM - 11AM.
My worst fears are coming true. Hope repair finishes soon. Traffic is typically less because not too many trucks. Passenger vehicles are more on weekends because of temple rush

Last edited by rajshenoy : 11th December 2012 at 19:34.
Old 12th December 2012, 10:14   #4395
BHPian

"Off-roading" Bangalore-Mangalore-Udupi-Sringeri-Horanadu-Bangalore in my Eeco !

Just returned after 2 days of wonderful drive (sic) through the toughest "roads" in my Maruti Eeco to date.

Will post videos and pics, soon as my new bones heal
docel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed