Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:38   #4996
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I am planning to visit Udupi from Bangalore (HSR Layout) in two weeks for Krishna Temple visit. Planning to start by 5 AM and take Nice Road>Nellamangala>Hassan>Sakleshpur>Shiradi> Uppinangadi and then Edapally-Panvel highway until Udupi. I have never traveled in this route, but based on the previous posts, I believe the roads are decent and I should be in Udupi for lunch. Please let me know in case this is not the ideal route or I may need to take any diversions. This is the standard route google is showing.
Old 3rd February 2014, 18:45   #4997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb4u View Post
I am planning to visit Udupi from Bangalore (HSR Layout) in two weeks for Krishna Temple visit. Planning to start by 5 AM and take Nice Road>Nellamangala>Hassan>Sakleshpur>Shiradi> Uppinangadi and then Edapally-Panvel highway until Udupi. I have never traveled in this route, but based on the previous posts, I believe the roads are decent and I should be in Udupi for lunch. Please let me know in case this is not the ideal route or I may need to take any diversions. This is the standard route google is showing.
Bangalore - Mangalore is a breeze to drive. Excellent roads. You can easily reach Mangalore by 1 PM by driving very sedately. Samurai and others doesn't go through Mangalore to reach Manipal I guess. I think they take right towards Ujire after Gundya. They can throw more light on that route to Udupi.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 3rd February 2014 at 18:47.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 19:19   #4998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Samurai and others doesn't go through Mangalore to reach Manipal I guess. I think they take right towards Ujire after Gundya. They can throw more light on that route to Udupi.
I did that route 6 days back. The short report is here.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 21:02   #4999
BHPian

Are there good options for food along the bangalore-mangalore route (via Shiradi)? Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Old 3rd February 2014, 21:31   #5000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Are there good options for food along the bangalore-mangalore route (via Shiradi)? Any recommendations?

Thanks.
The options have increased in the recent past. You have 'Mayura' at Bellur Cross, 'Kamat Yatri Nivas' after Channarayapatna bypass, 'Mythri' near Sakleshpur bus stand and 'Adithya' near Uppinangady.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 12:22   #5001
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer Karkala route instead of NH17, traffic and road diversions on NH17 is irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Bangalore - Mangalore is a breeze to drive. Excellent roads. You can easily reach Mangalore by 1 PM by driving very sedately. Samurai and others doesn't go through Mangalore to reach Manipal I guess. I think they take right towards Ujire after Gundya. They can throw more light on that route to Udupi.
Old 5th February 2014, 13:31   #5002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I would prefer Karkala route instead of NH17, traffic and road diversions on NH17 is irritating.
Lohith which is this Karkala route from Bangalore to Mangalore man? are you refering to the Charmadi route.
Next time when I am in Mangalore let us catch up for a cup of coffee. Long time since we met and rode together ( never met you since your relocating to Mangalore a couple of years ago)
Old 5th February 2014, 14:00   #5003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Lohith which is this Karkala route from Bangalore to Mangalore man? are you refering to the Charmadi route.
Next time when I am in Mangalore let us catch up for a cup of coffee. Long time since we met and rode together ( never met you since your relocating to Mangalore a couple of years ago)
He has mentioned the Karkala route to Udupi/Manipal since I had asked the route options to Udupi without touching Mangalore
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 14:40   #5004
BHPian

Quote:
You can approach Karkala via Charmady or Shirady.
The routing via Charmady would be Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Ujire - Guruvayanakere - Moodabidri - Karkala.
The routing via Shirady would be Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Kokkada - Ujire - Guruvayanakere - Moodabidri - Karkala.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 14:52   #5005
Team-BHP Support

Why would you go Guruvayanakere - Moodabidri - Karkala, when you can go Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala?
Old 5th February 2014, 16:53   #5006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why would you go Guruvayanakere - Moodabidri - Karkala, when you can go Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala?
The difference in distance between two routes is not much, just about 5 Kms (moodbidri route being longer). So the road condition / traffic density should determine the choice of route. I believe the Moodabidri route will be more dense (traffic wise) between the 2 routes
Old 5th February 2014, 17:00   #5007
BHPian

Had been on a round trip exploring the remote ghats last sunday.

Route taken : Bangalore - Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Sullia - Kukke Subramanya - Bisle - Shanivarasante - Holenarsipura - Channarayapatna - Bangalore.

Road conditions :

Srirangapatna - Elavala is good but for a short stretch near KRS junction.

Bhagamandala - Panathur : Very narrow and rough. Devoid of tarmac at at almost all curves though the descent is not at all steep. Could drive the 31 km stretch in 70 mins.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-053.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-059.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-065.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-072.jpg

Panathur - Aletty - Sullia : 22 kms of very rough, narrow roads through areca and acacia plantations.

Sullia - Doddathota - Guthigaru - Subramanya : good to excellent stretch

Subramanya - Bisle - Koodu raste : Extremely narrow, gravel and boulder laden from Chowdeshwari temple to Addahole bridge. Improves thereon in short stretches and again goes bad from View point to Koodu raste. Took 2.5 hours for 45 kms. A lone KSRTC rushing down and and local KA 12 regn Maruti Omni is all I could encounter during the climb. And, lots of elephant droppings !!! The view from the top / enroute is something worth driving again !

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-133.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-142.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-159.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-169.jpg

Kooduraste - Shanivarasante - Arkalgud - Holenarsipura - Channarayapatna : excellent

roamingrao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 17:05   #5008
BHPian

I did a Bangalore-Udupi-Bangalore run last week. Took the usual Bangalore-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Mangalore-Udupi route. As said by others, Shiradi Ghat is fully patched up except one bridge where construction is going on. Apart from that, its a smooth and a pleasurable drive throughout.

We left Bangalore around 3.30 pm and drove in a relaxed manner stopping at Kamat near CR Patna, Hotel Mythri Residency at Sakleshpur and Hotel Aditya at Uppinangdy and finally reached Udupi by 11.00 pm. Return journey was also the the same where we left Udupi by 5.00 pm and reached Bangalore by midnight stopping at the same places again.

I do not know whether its already mentioned by others, but a CCD was open just after Bellur cross toll towards Hassan. Stopped over for a quick cup of Espresso while returning back to Bangalore.

Since I was driving in the dark for most of the journey, both ways, the driving habits of the local vehicles and trucks were very good. The moment they see light appearing on the horizon, they immediately switch to low beam which is so pleasing to the eyes. Of course there were a few "bad apples", but most of the people follow the rules.

So till monsoons lash this part of the world, this route gets a from me.
rohittunga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 17:37   #5009
BHPian

Quote:
The difference in distance between two routes is not much, just about 5 Kms (moodbidri route being longer). So the road condition / traffic density should determine the choice of route. I believe the Moodabidri route will be more dense (traffic wise) between the 2 routes
Yep! Lots of private buses on this route towards Moodabidri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But, I heard about bad roads around Bajagoli. Have they been fixed now?
Old 5th February 2014, 18:00   #5010

Drove from Bangalore to Mangalore this morning. Except for a very small patch in Shiradi the roads are great to drive on. Started at 5.30 am from Bangalore , reached Mangalore by noon. Couple of 30 min breaks. [Mayura in Bellur Cross. Hit the hotel at 6.45 in the morning. The guy was ready to serve Masala Dosa, Puri, Vada [rarely seen this served early]. Another stop at Kalladka for KT / Goli Bhajes]. Bangalore - Hassan was a kind of easy stretch. One should not mind paying the toll :-). The roads do provide a great experience. Hassan-Sakleshpur had pretty busy traffic. Folks on the two wheelers were riding single handedly busy with their mobiles. Annoying as most of them did not want to give way moving to the sides. Shiradi had less traffic and it was pleasure driving down the ghats. Post Uppinangadi the traffic was quite heavy and there were number of car / lorry drivers who were reckless. Better to be on the side and slow. Overall an enjoyable ride. Not sure how many days these patched up road will survive but as of today Shiradi is in great shape.

Most Viewed