Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2007, 11:21   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superamerica View Post
Im planning a trip from Bangalore-Mangalore this week. Can someone point to the current road conditions through the Shiradi ghat and the Puttur-Sulya stretch and the recommended route.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/627205-post33.html
Old 15th July 2008, 15:51   #62
BHPian

Hi team,

I am planning to drive down to Udupi this weekend (18/07/08). Would like to know:

1. If the road is good
2. The best route
3. The total distance between Bangalore and Udupi.

I have never been to Udupi, are the roads safe for night driving in terms of dacoity , etc?

Thanks much,
Old 15th July 2008, 18:15   #63
BHPian

Hi,

You can get info on TEAM BHP http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...san-mlore.html

You can go via Mangalore (Bangalore - Hassan - Sakaleshpur - Gundya - Uppinangady-BC Road - Mangalore - Suratkal - Udupi) which means the distance to Udupi will be around 360+60 = 420 kms. There is also another route via Dharmastala (Bangalore - Hassan - Sakaleshpur - Gundya - Dharmastala - Udupi). I have not travelled on this road and hence will not be able to tell the distance involved. But i heard that the road condition is OK on this route.

Dakshina Kannada District & Udupi district is relatively safe. But better be watchful anyways. You can expect police checkposts asking where are you heading to and they note down your vehicle number.
Old 15th July 2008, 18:45   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Hi team,

I am planning to drive down to Udupi this weekend (18/07/08). Would like to know:

1. If the road is good
2. The best route

I have never been to Udupi, are the roads safe for night driving in terms of dacoity , etc?

Thanks much,
Hi deadguy25, the roads are tolerable, and since it's your first trip down this route, suggest you hold on to safe speeds.
No idea on the best route, as it's monsoon and most of the roads would be in a similar conditon, bad that is.
The distance, would be about 430kms, one way.
It's speeding buses, petroleum tankers, and mining trucks that you should be scared of/have to watch out for, at night and not the dacoits, for the dacoits too would fear them . Not heard of any dacoity for a long time on this route.
Old 15th July 2008, 18:51   #65
nbr
BHPian

Quote:
Hi team,

1. If the road is good
2. The best route

Thanks much,
the roads are pretty ok now.The sakleshpur ghat section which was recently repaired has already crept in with potholes.Also there is now heavy flow of traffic in this ghat section, which will lengthen your travel time.
Dakshinna Kannada ,Udupi highways are one of the safest highways in India.
Try to start early in the morning since traffic will be heavy iin the afternoons.
Old 15th July 2008, 19:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi team,

1. If the road is good
2. The best route

Thanks much,
I did this route last week and the roads are pretty good. You start from bangalore, reach sakleshpur. The ghat after sakleshpur has a bit of potholes, drive a bit careful here. The roads are good after you take the deviation to dharamastala.
After dharamstala, make sure you stop at all crossroads to ensure you are on the right path as they are quite misleading. There are proper signboards at all crossroads.

I did this trip during night and under heavy rain. Its pretty safe.

P.S: Watch out with whom you ask for directions, I found a drunken guy who showed us the wrong direction and also asked for money. I quickly realised it and asked others for the right direction.
Old 15th July 2008, 19:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

One common route is 1. Bangalore - Hassan - Shiradi Ghat - Mangalore - Udupi, aprox 430km. Expect at least 60km as bad road in this route.

You can try the below routes:

2. Bangalore - Hassan - Shiradi Ghat - Dharmastala - Udupi. distance aprox. 400km. Here you can avoid Mangalore - Udupi bad/busy road traffic, is ideal one for sure.

3. Bangalore - Shimoga - Teerthahalli - Agumbe - Udupi. distance aprox. 430km good with less traffic. very much scenic route with few ghat section. might take 10 hours.

4. Bangalore - Shimoga - Hosanagara - Kodachadri - Kollur - Kundapur - Udupi Distance aprox. 500km, which is very very scenic one. might take 12 hours. this is not suggested route but depends on your interest.

If you want to explore yourself try Via Shimoga as option3, you can enjoy the drive. You can try lunch 4km before Teerthahalli (340km from Bangalore) in Vihangama home stay which offers costly but excellant food or have lunch in Jewel Rock in Shimoga.

I suggest option 2 or option3.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 15th July 2008 at 19:11.
Old 16th July 2008, 10:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

Ravi you forgot to add these routes,
Bangalore - Hassan- Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Ujire-Guruvayankere-Karkala-Udupi
Bangalore - Hassan- Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehar-Kalasa-Kudremukha-Karkala-Udupi
Both of these roads are in good condition. And very scenic routes
Another possible route would be
Bangalore - Hassan- Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Someshwara-Parkala-Udupi

The choice is yours. All routes approxiamte distance would be 430kms
Old 16th July 2008, 17:46   #69
Senior - BHPian

Good suggestion by Sushrutha, thank you, Yes I do agree these are good routes with excellant scenery.

I guess 20km stretch between Kottigehar - Kalasa has really bad stretch, except that awasome road it is.

Bangalore - Mangalore NH48 is not worth for sure mainly between Sakeleshpur - Mangalore ghat areas.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 17th July 2008, 09:30   #70
BHPian

Hi:

Prabhusati, dkamath, nbr, speedmiester, ravi, sushrutha, and Team-B:

It really is very kind on all of you to have shared and suggested the route information with me.

Thank you all very much .
Old 17th July 2008, 09:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Ravi you forgot to add these routes,
Bangalore - Hassan- Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehar-Kalasa-Kudremukha-Karkala-Udupi
Both of these roads are in good condition. And very scenic routes
Another possible route would be
Bangalore - Hassan- Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Someshwara-Parkala-Udupi

The choice is yours. All routes approxiamte distance would be 430kms
Having driven in this area last weekend (was in Kudremukh and returned by Shiradi ghats), please take option 1 : BLR -> Hassan -> Belur -> Mudigere -> Charmadi -> Karkala -> Udupi. NH13 is in top shape (towards Karkala). Alternately turn off towards Moodbidri if you want to bypass Mangalore
Shiradi ghats is a mess. It took more than 75-80 minutes to travel 20km coupled with heavy truck traffic. All the asphalted parts between the concreted widened sections are non-existent. Some parts look like they have never been laid in the first place. So, the only place where this road is done up and complete is in the govt's books.

Regards,

Last edited by lancer_rit : 17th July 2008 at 10:02.
Old 17th July 2008, 10:44   #72
BHPian

Hi:

Prabhusati, dkamath, nbr, speedmiester, ravi, sushrutha, and Team

It really is very kind on all of you to have shared and suggested the route information with me.

Thank you all very much .
Old 17th July 2008, 13:18   #73
BHPian

Hi...
I will suggest u a very decent route with good roads and is probably the nearest to Kundapur from bangalore.

Bangalore - kunigal - Hassan - belur - Aldur - Baalehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Someshwara - Haladi - Koteshwar - Kundapur (440 Kms from JP nagar). The road condition in Agumbe is Okish... other than that it is excellent.... Blindly take this route

Getting down towards Udupi or Karkal is fine.... to go to Kundapur.. but travelling Udupi to Kundapur is horrible... total mess... especially Saligrama to Kundapur.... I travelled Marawanthe bangalore last weekend... so this is true to my eyes

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th July 2008 at 13:36. Reason: Use edit within 15 mts please
Old 17th July 2008, 17:32   #74
Senior - BHPian

Hey Deadguy25, what route are you finally taking? Sudden work has come up for which I will be travelling to Manipal early tomorrow morning (18th), maybe we'll see each other on the way. I'll be driving my Optra as usual.
As of now the route I'm thinking of taking is as suggested by Sushrutha ie.

Bangalore - Hassan- Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehar-Kalasa-Kudremukha-Karkala-Udupi or maybe the second suggested route ie.

Guys if any of you read this before I start, pls tell me which has better roads and would I possibly meet any T-Bhpians in and around manipal.

Cheers.
Hari.
Old 17th July 2008, 17:49   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

A colleague of mine went to MLR yday via Volvo. I was shocked that he mentioned today that Shiradi was gone again and that the bus took it at 20 kmph. That road was smoothly relaid when I'd been there in May.

Most Viewed