Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 18:38   #136
Senior - BHPian

ash_blore: But is the road motorable in a sedan?
The road is motorable in a sedan (I saw NHC, Skoda, baleno passby)
How big are the potholes? How many of them are there? Are they all over the place or just a few here and there?
Fairly wide potholes, but too deep yet, On Shiradi basically the top layer freshly laid Tar has eroded off and feels like a gravel road except on the few concrete stretches. Its not a continuous stretch of potholes, you get a smooth patch and suddenly have to slow for a pothole "cluster" and then take off again till you hit the next cluster. The stretch feels pathetic and painful yet motorable
Old 20th August 2008, 19:51   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
But is the road motorable in a sedan? How big are the potholes? How many of them are there? Are they all over the place or just a few here and there?
Few weeks back had been to Mangalore in my OHC, for now its very doable but you need to be careful on few turns thats all...but no fun driving in a sedan after sakleshpura esp cars like civic...
Old 21st August 2008, 14:34   #138
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys here is what I have decided on

Bangalore--Nelamangala--Tumkur--Gubbi--Tiptur--Arsikere--Kadur--Tarikere--Shimoga--Sagara--Jog --Falls ---Honnavar--Murudeshwar.

Enroute I wud stop over at the Talaguppa Railway station for a few clicks. Hope this route is doable.
Old 21st August 2008, 15:18   #139
Senior - BHPian

Riju i thought you had plans to go to Mangalore?
Old 21st August 2008, 15:23   #140
Senior - BHPian

Lohith, this is just the 1st day of the road trip Mangalore is on day 4 . I know the route well from Murudeshwar to Mangalore.
Old 21st August 2008, 15:40   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Ok guys here is what I have decided on

Bangalore--Nelamangala--Tumkur--Gubbi--Tiptur--Arsikere--Kadur--Tarikere--Shimoga--Sagara--Jog --Falls ---Honnavar--Murudeshwar.

Enroute I wud stop over at the Talaguppa Railway station for a few clicks. Hope this route is doable.
Ya it is very much doable !! I hope you are starting at 4AM.

Start very early, you can try out Blr - Hebbal - Yelahanka - Dodaballapur - Dobbspet to avoid the congesionat yeswanthpur - Neelamangala. I think it can get problematic even in the early hours whne you start.

Abhi
Old 21st August 2008, 16:44   #142
Senior - BHPian

Hey Riju, if you are leaving early stop at Kyathsandra for "thatte idly" breakfast else stop at Preethi Canteen in Birur.

You'll love the photo ops after Shimoga till Sagar too.
Old 21st August 2008, 16:58   #143
Senior - BHPian

Riju, I did a recent trip to Shimoga n Jog.
The road is pretty much doable by any sedan, but be careful in the stretch between Birur-Bhadravathi, & also near ripponpete loads of potholes apart from it the route is pretty much good
Heard that preethi canteen is really good at Birur from coffee n snacks
Old 21st August 2008, 19:31   #144
Senior - BHPian

It would be ideal to do shimoga onwards at early hours its very scenic...Had some good time few years back...
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-sagara.jpg  

Old 22nd August 2008, 17:59   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Ya it is very much doable !! I hope you are starting at 4AM.

Start very early, you can try out Blr - Hebbal - Yelahanka - Dodaballapur - Dobbspet to avoid the congesionat yeswanthpur - Neelamangala. I think it can get problematic even in the early hours whne you start.

Abhi
No need to do Yelahanka-doddaballapur-Dobbspet route.It's longer & takes more time too.The last four times I've done Yeshwantpur-Nelamangala route,I've taken less than 30 mins to do it.Looks like heavy vehicles are banned after daybreak.No jams near Peenya circle OR Hesarghatta turnoff.
Old 23rd August 2008, 09:14   #146
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys i would be leaving to Mangalore tomorrow most probably, i intend to take to take the charmadi route, also am keen to take kudremukha route but this will consume more time... so any info on this would be nice
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:09   #147
nbr
BHPian

Shiradi ghat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Hey guys i would be leaving to Mangalore tomorrow most probably, i intend to take to take the charmadi route, also am keen to take kudremukha route but this will consume more time... so any info on this would be nice
Lohith , I drove from Mlore to Blore just 2 weeks back.have a look at it

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ip-images.html
Old 8th September 2008, 13:28   #148
BHPian

My first travelogue: Bangalore-Kukke

The long dreamt-of drive to Kukke Subramanya had become a reality on the week-end of 30th August. Thanks to all those who have penned down their experiences in Team-BHP, it really helped.

We started off on a bad note with 2 punctures to the car, but the spirits were good enough to go ahead. We left Bangalore in my santro by 12 noon and the chaos till we hit NH-48 were demoralizing, at that time of the day. The roads are great untill 4-5 km after sakleshpur town, and the next 30+ km are bad, and still deteriorating. The road from Gundya to Kukke temple is new and in excellent condition. We reached kukke by 7.30pm.

The drive from sakleshpur till Gundya is awesome with winding and secluded ghat sections. The bad condition of the roads and never ending lines of trucks will add to the excitement. The stretch from Gundya to the Kukke temple is a real breeze. The road looks newly laid and in excellent condition.

Route:
Bangalore (HAL) ---> Nelamangala ---> Kunigal ---> CR Patna ---> Hassan ---> Sakleshpur --->(37km) Gundya --->(22km) Kukke

Toal: 292 km

The dense vegetation makes it extremely foggy after the sundown, so it is adviceable to reach kukke while the day is bright.

Accommodation looks to be easier there, but its safe to call up and fix it in advance. This link may be of help: Shree Kukke Subrahmanya Temple

Temple opens at 7am in the morning and closes by 8pm.

The two break-points we used on the way are, Hotel Mayura between Kunigal and CR patna, and Kamat Upachar after CR patna, both with excelled food and refreshment facilities. One more we observed just before sakleshpur was, if remember correctly, Hotel Ossrom(Veg).

Cheers !
Venu.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc00031a.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc00039.jpg  

Old 8th September 2008, 15:29   #149
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue but some more will do justice to the wonderful place which you visited.
Old 8th September 2008, 16:21   #150
Senior - BHPian

Nice start! But I think it is not finished yet. We need few more details also pics. Please give detailed info about roads, travel conditions, towns in between hotel facility etc. Also few photographs of Kukke as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks