Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 21:21   #1636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Ok..... so on Wednesday I travelled back to Bangalore via Karkala/Kudremukh/Kalasa/Magundi/Mudigere/Belur/Hassan/Magadi/Blr. The road from Magundi to Kottigere is potholed,
On the basis of my recent travel to Kudremukh, this is my experience.
At Kalasa, there is a fork where one direction says to Bangalore and the other one to Balehonnur and Chickmaglur. But both of these route leads to Magundi. Take the one towards Balehonnur, Chickmaglur at Kalasa which is a better road.( This was on my return journey from Kudremukh to B'lore)

At Magundi, you see a T junction where driving straight is marked towards Kottigehaara , bangalore and taking left will take you to Balehonnur and chikmaglur. Again take the route towards Chikmaglur. This is good road all the way except for avearge road of 6 KM near Maagundi.
This route is bit longer coz it was 385 Kms from B'lore to Kudremukh where as it would have been 350 Kms via Mudigere, Kottigehaara.

Except for the the 6Km of average road, rest of the stretch is good.

So the route I took was Blr- Hassan- Belur- chimaglur- Aldur- Balehonnur- Magundi- Kalasa- Kudremukh.

Last edited by bkishore_77 : 21st January 2010 at 21:23.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:44   #1637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
I turned back to Mudigere to go on the alternative route thru Makonahalli. This are the back roads thru the country side estates and the roads are in good condition and very little used.
You went through my village ;-)
Yep the road condition is good. But becomes a lil bumpy once you are near Belur. But th road is not wide in many places.
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:38   #1638
BHPian

Bangalore to Kodachadri/Kollur Route

Friends,

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kodachadri/Kollur tomorrow. Which route would you advice? At present, I am thinking of taking the following route

BLR-Tumkur-Tiptur-Arsikere-Shimoga-Ayanur-Anandapuram-Hosanagara-Nagara-nittur-kollur

Any information on the condition of this route would be really helpful. Thanks!
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:12   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Civic sense, Hosanagara to Nagara the road is not that good.

btw, [COLOR=#000000][FONT='Times New Roman'][FONT=arial,sans-serif]Shiradi road cloased from January 23, 6 am on Monday till January 25, from Hassana border to Gundia check post.[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]

Also the NH17 will be blocked tomorrow Mangalore till Udupi i guess, though not very sure which part and how long it will be cloased. so check out before heading this way.
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:27   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsense View Post
Friends,

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kodachadri/Kollur tomorrow. Which route would you advice? At present, I am thinking of taking the following route

BLR-Tumkur-Tiptur-Arsikere-Shimoga-Ayanur-Anandapuram-Hosanagara-Nagara-nittur-kollur

Any information on the condition of this route would be really helpful. Thanks!
Thats the Shortest and best route to Kollur as os of now.
BLR-Shimoga-Anandapuram is in fantastic condition, except for a stretch between Bhadravathi - Shimoga cos of road widening . From thereon(Anandpuram) I don't have much idea.
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:38   #1641
Team-BHP Support

Tomorrow the 23rd of Jan 2010, every highway leading to Udupi and Mangalore will be closed due to a highly organised protest against the road conditions. So don't try to drive this way.
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:45   #1642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Here my Bangalore - Mangalore day train experience. Have traveled in night train thrice but the day train was more exciting.

On 30th Dec I took the Yesvantpura - Mangalore train. The train leaves Yesvantpura at 7.30AM. Like the night train the day train also starts from Platform no 1 on the yesvantpur market side.

Leaving Bangalore the scenes are dry, but after tumkur the greenery and village life starts.

After reaching Arisikere the train takes reverse direction to Hassan. The engine gets changed from front to back so around 20 mins time it halts in Arisikere.

Do take breakfast from Home or Hotel. The train food is just bad.

Reaching Hassan we were expecting luanch to come, but unfortunatly there is no lunch in Hassan also.

Hassan to Sakleshpur the scenes become more greener. At Sakleshpur we got some luch in station, but it was horrible.

Do take water and eatables since after that another 3 hours u wont get anything.

The train halts for around 20mins since two more engines are added to the train.

After that beautiful coffee gardens start and the Shiradi ghat views are just amazing.

The tunnels and screaming childrens just add fun on the ride.

The ride is slow unlike the road but the views are just amazing.

Its a journey which you need to experience. I would suggest to travel this stretch in the rainy season to make most out of it.

I have posted some pics in my websiite, do have a look at it.

My Photos (Yeshwanth Live)

At Subramanya road the train again halts for removing the additional 2 engines. Here u get some coffee and snacks.

The train then speeds its way to Mangalore and reaches after an hours delay.

Do carry sufficient water and eatables since there are no regular vendors in train since its the only train running in this stretch in day time.

The seats are not comfortable, its just like chair car with 3+3 seats and its not like a sleeper coach. Leg space is also limited. There is a 3 tire AC compartment but you will miss the Shiradi ghat view.
Wow ! This definitely needs to be tried. Will do this very soon! Did not realize that a day train is now available.
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:49   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Civic sense, Hosanagara to Nagara the road is not that good.

btw, [COLOR=#000000][FONT='Times New Roman'][FONT=arial,sans-serif]Shiradi road cloased from January 23, 6 am on Monday till January 25, from Hassana border to Gundia check post.[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]

Also the NH17 will be blocked tomorrow Mangalore till Udupi i guess, though not very sure which part and how long it will be cloased. so check out before heading this way.
Oh, thats bad news, but definitely good info to have. Thanks Lohithrao.

I will definitely stay away from Shiradi Ghats. But I need to go from Udupi to Kasargod through Mangalore (NH-17) on Monday, 25 Jan evening. I hope the rasta roko ends by then...
Old 22nd January 2010, 13:03   #1644
BHPian

@sushrutha: thanks. I will then stick to this route and will be careful in the stretches you mentioend.

@Samurai: Thanks for the heads-up. I hope the smaller roads from Shimoga to Kollur should be ok? Do you think it will be impossible for me to go from Kundapura to Upudi on Sunday? Is that stretch of the road also going to be closed?
Old 22nd January 2010, 13:26   #1645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Thats the Shortest and best route to Kollur as os of now.
BLR-Shimoga-Anandapuram is in fantastic condition, except for a stretch between Bhadravathi - Shimoga cos of road widening . From thereon(Anandpuram) I don't have much idea.
I had traveled to Kollur early last year and took the following route.

Blr-Tumkur-Arsikere-Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur

As sushrutha said, the route till Anandapuram is very good as it falls on the Shimoga-Sagar stretch of NH206. Ayanur-Ripponpet will bypass Anandapuram and go directly to Hosanagara & this route is a bit shorter. The stretch from Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara was a bit rough, but could be managed in my Swift (this was before the monsoons). Hosanagara-Nagara also was rough with potholes here and there. Nagara-Kollur stretch was good but it was a narrow single lane road.

All these conditions were before the monsoon and I don't expect any improvement.
Old 22nd January 2010, 14:37   #1646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Tomorrow the 23rd of Jan 2010, every highway leading to Udupi and Mangalore will be closed due to a highly organised protest against the road conditions. So don't try to drive this way.

This news is confirmed. The Rasta Roko is from 6.AM to 6.PM.

Also try to avoid Sunday. There is some Bagarang Dal procession and meeting to take place in Mangalore and Mr.Varun Ghandhi is coming down to Mangalore.

Many roads will be blocked during this occasion.

Last edited by kadri007 : 22nd January 2010 at 14:42.
Old 22nd January 2010, 14:52   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
But I need to go from Udupi to Kasargod through Mangalore (NH-17) on Monday, 25 Jan evening. I hope the rasta roko ends by then...
The Rasta Roko is for only one day, also on Sunday if there is a issue and Monday if it gets blcoked , do keep the following route in mind, it may help you.

Udupi - Manipal - Karkala - Mudabidri - Kuppepadav - BC Road - Mani - Vittla - Perla - Badidyadka - Kumble - Kasargod. You can completely avoid the NH section and Mangalore.

Use this try only in case of emergeny since its longer. Else stick on to NH17 only.

If you here there is trouble in BC Road and Mani which are a bit sensetive areas, you can try this route also. Its further a long route.

Udupi - Manipal - Karkala - Mudabidri - Venoor - Guruvanyakere- Uppinangadi - Puttur - Sulya - Kasargod.
Old 22nd January 2010, 16:19   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
This news is confirmed. The Rasta Roko is from 6.AM to 6.PM.

Also try to avoid Sunday. There is some Bagarang Dal procession and meeting to take place in Mangalore and Mr.Varun Ghandhi is coming down to Mangalore.

Many roads will be blocked during this occasion.

On Sunday I will be traveling to Udupi from Shimoga. Do you think there will be any issues in this route ?

thanks
Old 22nd January 2010, 17:00   #1649
Team-BHP Support

Udupi-Shimoga hardly falls into the blocked roads section. You should be fine, besides the protest is on saturday.
Old 22nd January 2010, 22:30   #1650
BHPian

@kadri007, @addyhemmige, thanks for the suggestions. I have noted them down. I will post my experience with the route once I am back on Wednesday. Have a great weekend and Happy Republic Day to all. Jai Hind!

Most Viewed