Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2022, 16:28   #9136
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
After we passed Hassan, I handed over the car to the wife and she drove for the rest of the route. Overall we hardly had traffic on the highway and the drive was mostly event-less except for this sudden incident
---
Not sure what speeds she was doing - I had dozed off for about ~15 mins and was woken up after the above incident occurred. Thankfully nothing serious occurred; we narrowly missed hitting him (the shudder you see is due to the rumblers on the road at that junction).
That was pretty quick reaction, from the time bike seen in the dash CAM to crossing the bike was ~2sec, Wow, that was pretty sharp response. Thank God, nothing happened, it was pretty close. I wish she should have slowed down incase she couldn't avoid, at least could have reduce the impact.
Old 8th February 2022, 17:19   #9137
BHPian

Quote:
I found the Shiradi ghat route fun to do (maybe because it was over a weekday) compared to the Charmadi ghat (which we did over the weekend)
I have a trip to Mangalore coming up and thanks for this report, will be checking with missus if we can try out the Shiradi route instead of the usual Charmadi, would be a tough sell but might be a Ossor stop might tilt the scales this time
Old 8th February 2022, 17:47   #9138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Has anyone taken the Bisile route recently? Is it still the best one for Kukke? TIA.
I went to Kukke via Bisle in the 2nd week of Jan 2022. Seeing some small broken sections, it’s still the fastest to Kukke. I took my sedan and it was nothing that worried me.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 19:13   #9139
BHPian

Quote:
I found the Shiradi ghat route fun to do (maybe because it was over a weekday) compared to the Charmadi ghat (which we did over the weekend), especially given that we only had some moderate truck & bus traffic during the early hours.
How is the section after Ghats (Maranahally > Sakleshpur)? There were huge craters when we traveled in December. Has it been patched up?

BTW, saw this news now. Fingers crossed!

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...sting-7762027/

Bengaluru’s busy Dr Shivakumara Swamiji flyover, popularly known as Goraguntepalya flyover, which has been closed to traffic for the last 45 days, is likely to be reopened by this weekend. M K Wathore, the Chief General Manager of the National Highways Authorities of India (NHAI), said the flyover would be reopened for traffic by this weekend, and has been found structurally fit.

NHAI had shut the flyover after two rusted cables were discovered at the 8th Mile during an inspection on December 25. The closure has resulted in an increase in vehicular traffic on Tumakuru Road, which is one of the important roads in Bengaluru. Traffic has also increased on the Outer Ring Road, 8th Mile Junction and Hessarghatta Road, traffic officials said.

On Monday, NHAI started load-testing from the main carriage of the flyover from Eight Mile Cross to Parle G toll gate.
Old 8th February 2022, 19:58   #9140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How is the section after Ghats (Maranahally > Sakleshpur)? There were huge craters when we traveled in December. Has it been patched up?

Nopes - they are still there and as bad as craters could be. Didn't notice any patchwork at all on that stretch.

Thankfully given the early morning, there were hardly any cars with only slow moving trucks so overtaking was relatively easier, as compared to what @samurai's video shows a few posts ago. I could manage low speeds through that stretch though.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:46   #9141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I went to Kukke via Bisle in the 2nd week of Jan 2022. Seeing some small broken sections, it’s still the fastest to Kukke. I took my sedan and it was nothing that worried me.
Thank you. The stretch did have some rough patched up sections here and there, but nothing bad enough for a sedan as mentioned by you.
The patched up stretches between CR Patna and Shanivarasanthe might not last beyond this monsoon and might need a new layer of asphalt.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 15:55   #9142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Any idea if the flyover is open now? If not, does the Hesaraghatta route continue to be the best bypass option towards North Bangalore?

Last edited by cool_dube : 15th February 2022 at 16:01.
Old 15th February 2022, 16:47   #9143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Any idea if the flyover is open now? If not, does the Hesaraghatta route continue to be the best bypass option towards North Bangalore?
The CM says another 3 days from this day. So might open this coming weekend.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le65051837.ece

Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai informed the Legislative Assembly that the Goraguntepalya flyover in Bengaluru, which has been closed for 56 days now, will be reopened for two-wheelers and light vehicles in 3 days. Mr. Bommai said the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), which maintains highways, closed the flyover owing to poor quality of work after a routine inspection revealed that two cables at the 8th mile had rusted. Taking into consideration the safety of the passengers, the flyover was closed, he said. Replying to Manjunath R. of the JD(S) during zero hour, the Chief Minister said a load test was conducted. Experts of the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, too inspected the flyover. NHAI engineers have said that the flyover is not safe for movement of heavy vehicles, he said. Mr. Bommai said he would talk to NHAI authorities and take a decision on reopening the flyover for movement of two-wheelers and light vehicles in 2-3 days. The flyover is a major link for districts of south Karnataka as well as north Karnataka. He had written to Union Minister for Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari about the poor quality of work on the flyover, the Chief Minister said.
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 22:52   #9144

Hello everyone,
I am a final year engineering student in Belgavi. Ever since I started driving two years back, the road trip bug has been biting me. I have had a few long road trips with my family for family functions and one road trip with friends to the coast of Karnataka. After reading Dr AD's road trip to Marvanthe beach I had an interesting idea for a road trip. I was thinking of catching the sunrise at Nandi Hills and then driving west towards Marvanthe beach to watch the sunset in the ocean. I have never visited any of these places before but heard a lot of good things about the respective places. The main reason I decided on these two places as there is a considerable distance between them and nothing better to clear your head after the end sem exams than a long drive. Also being a student, I don't have my own car as of now so I was thinking of hiring a Zoomcar for this trip. I am planning to do this trip in the next couple of months so trying to get my expenses sorted by then.

I need your guidance regarding what would be a feasible route to successfully do this trip and I would love it if any of you are interested in joining me for this trip. Thank you.
Old 16th February 2022, 13:24   #9145
Senior - BHPian

The plan can be like starting from Nandi Hills after seeing the Sunrise, take DB Pura - Tumkur route, from Tumkur to Kunigal via Hebbur, then continue on BM highway. I have not suggested DB Pura - Nelamangala route as road widening is in progress. Similarly coming all the way from Dabaspet to Nelamangala is a waste of time.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 17:48   #9146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The CM says another 3 days from this day. So might open this coming weekend.
Today I went totally out of character and started early, I left home at 6:50am, just so that I can beat the traffic around peenya flyover. I was not sure if the flyover is actually open today.

Yes, 6:50am is early for me. I am the kind who lets early birds have the worm, so that I can eat properly at Mayura.

The google map asked me take a diversion around mattikere, so I thought it was not open. However, as I was crawling under the flyover, I noticed tops of tall vehicles moving in the flyover. Looks like it was open, but google map made me go below it until the toll booth.

Anyway, I probably lost only 15 minutes today since I started early. I reached Mayura at 8:50am and finally got to try pineapple kesaribath. It was wonderful. This is probably the second time I am at Mayura at breakfast time. A rare moment indeed.

The 10kms stretch between Sakleshpur and Maranahalli (where concrete road starts) has gotten worse. Here is a quick video at 4X speed, the suspension rattle on the potholes tell half the story.

Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 18:27   #9147
Senior - BHPian

I have a trip to Kundapur coming up next week and was wondering what's the best route to get there ? My last drive towards this side was pre-covid, a little over 2 years ago and hence absolutely clueless about the road conditions now.
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:56   #9148
Senior - BHPian

The best route would be via Charmadi, Udupi, I recently used this route.
Old 23rd February 2022, 00:05   #9149

Hello Everyone,

I planning to drive down from

Bangalore to Kundapura

tomorrow with family in my Maruti-Suzuki Baleno. Please suggest the best route.

GMAP shows: BLR >> Hassan >> Belur >> Balehonnur >> Agumbe >> Kundapur (Has anyone been through this route lately ?)

I am planning to take one of the below:

1) BLR >> Hassan >> Shiradi >> Mangalore >> Udupi >> Kundapur (took this route more than a year back and covered distance of 420 km in 8 hrs 20 mins) - But that time Shiradi ghats were fine

2) BLR >> Hassan >> Belur >> Charmadi >> Moodbidri or Karkala >> Padubidri >> Udupi >> Kundapur (Idea here is to avoid the patchy Shiradi route)

Last edited by Sanbhat1611 : 23rd February 2022 at 00:27.
Old 23rd February 2022, 08:50   #9150
Senior - BHPian

The second option is best per my recent driving experience on these routes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks