Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2022, 11:30   #9121
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I too traveled ditto on 21st from Mangalore to Bangalore anticipating weekend curfew issues. Traffic was not much throughout the whole journey. The usual cops stopped me on Charmady ghat for checking vehicle documents. They were polite and cordial. There is roadwork happening after crossing the ghats towards Ibbani cafe and I enjoyed throwing some jelly stone dust in the air since my Bolero just glides on that terrain. Got stuck briefly under the Gorguntepalya flyover around 9pm for half an hour at different junctions. Avoid stopping at the toll prior to the flyover, those toll idiots want to make money.
Old 3rd February 2022, 09:20   #9122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Latest update with no specific date:

Tumakuru Road flyover to stay shut longer
Hope, against hopes!

Latest update: NHAI will take one more week to open Tumakuru Road flyover

Quote:
The three-km flyover was shut for traffic on December 25 after National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) officials found fault in the pre-stressed cables connecting the segments between two pillars.

Later, a detailed inspection showed that cables in eight other pillars had developed a similar problem.
Old 3rd February 2022, 09:39   #9123
Team-BHP Support

I travelled twice last month with the flyover shut off, it was a major pain both ways. I really hope it will be open before my next trip this month.
Old 3rd February 2022, 09:54   #9124
BHPian

I came by KSRTC the day before.. The bus reached Nagasandra Metro station, by around 7.10pm, from where the traffic pile up was present. And the bus guy managed to veer through that traffic & reach Rajajinagar by 7.50pm (a few min before in fact). He took the service lane and I think that did the trick. Also, moving into the city at that hour is probably a bit better than the opp direction travel.

40 mins from Nagasandra Metro stop to Rajajinagar was pretty quick in current situations. I was thinking of hopping off the bus to metro, but since the bus was moving, I sat through & it was not that bad. Only the 8th mile & Peenya/dasarahalli circle junctions was slow moving/halted for some time.
Old 7th February 2022, 11:30   #9125
Distinguished - BHPian

We did the Bangalore - Mangalore drive over the weekend via the Charmady ghat. Route was pretty good most of the way except for the few hiccups due to the closed flyover and some traffic jams once we got down from the ghats.

Planning to do the return the same route tomorrow (Mangalore - Charmady - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore), and recommendations for an early breakfast? We plan to leave Mangalore by 5, so looking for good recommendations that open up by 6:30am? I'm guessing we'll just get to the Charmady ghat so any suggestions before the climb or around Kottigere would be useful.
Old 7th February 2022, 11:52   #9126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Planning to do the return the same route tomorrow (Mangalore - Charmady - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore), and recommendations for an early breakfast? We plan to leave Mangalore by 5, so looking for good recommendations that open up by 6:30am? I'm guessing we'll just get to the Charmady ghat so any suggestions before the climb or around Kottigere would be useful.
I would prefer to have my breakfast well before climbing the ghats. If I were you, would prefer to have something in belthangady/ujire and then climb the ghats.

I always stop at 'Jain Restaurant' for local delicacies in belthangady.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 11:56   #9127
BHPian

Quote:
recommendations that open up by 6:30am? I'm guessing we'll just get to the Charmady ghat so any suggestions before the climb or around Kottigere would be useful.
You can check out Disha food corner at Ujire which is a small detour from the highway and on the road to Dharmasthala , remember we had breakfast sometime back and it was perfectly fine for some Idly / Vade and Dosas. About the timings though you need to call them as we went there by 8 AM IIRC.

Last edited by mazda4life : 7th February 2022 at 11:57. Reason: Typo
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 12:25   #9128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
You can check out Disha food corner at Ujire which is a small detour from the highway and on the road to Dharmasthala , remember we had breakfast sometime back and it was perfectly fine for some Idly / Vade and Dosas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

I always stop at 'Jain Restaurant' for local delicacies in belthangady.
Thank you guys. I too would prefer to have food before the ghats but was wondering at good places open by 6:30 as we'd reach the ghats by then. I see Jain restaurant opens at 6 so that's one option we'll consider. I'll check with Disha food corner if they are open by 6:30.
Old 7th February 2022, 12:47   #9129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys. I too would prefer to have food before the ghats but was wondering at good places open by 6:30 as we'd reach the ghats by then. I see Jain restaurant opens at 6 so that's one option we'll consider. I'll check with Disha food corner if they are open by 6:30.
You can try Durga Grand at Belthangady. We had visited here once. They have a proper family room inside with AC and clean rest rooms as well. However, 0630am is a time that is too early for most of the hotels to open but if you are lucky, at least Idlies should be ready by then .

Earlier, I had suggested few options on this post too form which I will rule out Halli Mane for breakfast:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Try these options:
  • Halli Mane - You will get this before Ujire gets busier and before you close in on the town area. However, remember that this place serves both Veg and Non-Veg
  • Panchami Jain - This will be on Ujire Dharmasthala Road, a deviation from the regular Ujire-Belthangady road but the detour is going to be less than 1 km
  • Belthangady has a better choice called Durga Grand and I would prefer this over the other two

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th February 2022 at 12:49.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 13:18   #9130
Team-BHP Support

There is also Hotel Aditya View near Nidle, that is between Dharmasthala and NH75. I never really tried this place since I always pass by here when I am not hungry.

BTW, these days I am taking Shirady-Uppinagady-GV.Kere-Karkala-belman-katipady route to reach Udupi. I find it the fastest right now.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 13:45   #9131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

BTW, these days I am taking Shirady-Uppinagady-GV.Kere-Karkala-belman-katipady route to reach Udupi. I find it the fastest right now.
How much of a difference does it make vis-a-vis Charmady (ghat vs ghat) if we leave early morning from Mangalore? Both of us are working tomorrow, so any time savings we get is worth it. And IIRC the bad roads are on a 6 km stretch only right?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th February 2022 at 13:48.
Old 7th February 2022, 14:41   #9132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How much of a difference does it make vis-a-vis Charmady (ghat vs ghat) if we leave early morning from Mangalore? Both of us are working tomorrow, so any time savings we get is worth it. And IIRC the bad roads are on a 6 km stretch only right?
Well, it depends on how well your car tolerates or handles bad roads. The problem is only few KMs though. You can save 30 minutes at least.
Old 8th February 2022, 11:24   #9133
BHPian

Has anyone taken the Bisile route recently? Is it still the best one for Kukke? TIA.
Old 8th February 2022, 12:22   #9134
Distinguished - BHPian

So we left Mangalore at 5 in the morning and reached home (/Bannerghatta road) by 11:30am, with only a ~30 min halt for breakfast. Route taken was via Shiradi ghat which we did just after sunrise (crossed it between 6 and 7:30).

I found the Shiradi ghat route fun to do (maybe because it was over a weekday) compared to the Charmadi ghat (which we did over the weekend), especially given that we only had some moderate truck & bus traffic during the early hours. The boring part was after we passed Sakhleshpur with all those cemented sections with breaks every few kms.

After we passed Hassan, I handed over the car to the wife and she drove for the rest of the route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, it depends on how well your car tolerates or handles bad roads. The problem is only few KMs though. You can save 30 minutes at least.
How true that turned out to be!

Comparison of both routes

1. Bangalore to Mangalore via Charmady ghat: Left at 5 am on a Saturday morning and it took us about 6H 15M hours of driving, not counting for the halts and detours that we took.

2. Mangalore to Bangalore via Shiradi ghat: Left at 5 am on a Tuesday morning and it took us about 5H 45M hours of driving, not counting for the halts.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th February 2022 at 07:18. Reason: As requested
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 12:35   #9135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not sure what speeds she was doing - I had dozed off for about ~15 mins and was woken up after the above incident occurred. Thankfully nothing serious occurred; we narrowly missed hitting him (the shudder you see is due to the rumblers on the road at that junction).
Wow, that was very close and very lucky to have missed. While approaching these junctions, one has to keep an eye on anyone entering road without looking, and starting honking well ahead to time to attract their attention. Therefore, I focus a lot on such vehicles while approaching junction.

Quote:
How true that turned out to be!
As they say in data analytics, more data, better prediction. I have travelled in both routes two times in the last two month. And I keep tweaking my NNN model.

Most Viewed