Old 3rd January 2022, 10:15   #9106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Google suggestions are
1. Bangalore > Tumkur > Hiriyur > Badra > Thirthahalli > Agumbe > Udupi
2. Bangalore > Hassan > Belur > Mudugere > Agumbe > Udupi

Looking for suggestions or recommendations from folks who have travelled recently to understand road conditions.
I took the Charmadi route last week and the entire route was great except for couple of tiny sections of road widening work before Kottigehara. Bangalore -> Hassan -> Belur -> Kottigehara -> Guruvayanakere -> Naravi -> Bajagoli -> Nitte -> Belman -> Shirva -> Katpadi -> Udupi.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:40   #9107
CJP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I took the Charmadi route last week and the entire route was great except for couple of tiny sections of road widening work before Kottigehara. Bangalore -> Hassan -> Belur -> Kottigehara -> Guruvayanakere -> Naravi -> Bajagoli -> Nitte -> Belman -> Shirva -> Katpadi -> Udupi.
Thanks for the detailed route. Looks like this is also probably the shortest route to Udupi
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:04   #9108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
We are planning to drive to Udupi from Kengeri/Bangalore on the 4th Jan., driving our 12 year old Innova.

Google suggestions are
1. Bangalore > Tumkur > Hiriyur > Badra > Thirthahalli > Agumbe > Udupi
2. Bangalore > Hassan > Belur > Mudugere > Agumbe > Udupi

Looking for suggestions or recommendations from folks who have travelled recently to understand road conditions.

Appreciate your help
Standard route to Udupi is : Bangalore - Mangalore (Via Hassan) - Udupi.

How to reach Mangalore is debatable, I would take Charmady to enjoy the drive or Shirady if I am in a hurry. Agumbe is best for those coming from Shimoga side.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:31   #9109
BHPian

Travelled from Bangalore to Mangalore via Hassan-Charmadi route. The road is in good condition and we did not face major traffic issues. The big bottleneck is while leaving Bangalore, because the Peenya flyover is shut which causes a congestions delay of 20 to 40 mins depending on time of the day.

Stopped over at Pakshaala for breakfast. Great place, good food and clean toilets. Very impressed. Could get a table immediately, versus Swathi Delicacy which seemed to be super crowded.

Had lunch at Ibbani cafe. Their Cheese toast is quite tasty with some veggies added in as well. Loved the various candies, chocolates and pickles they offer.

Once in Mangalore, the Mangalore-Udupi highway is fantastic. We stayed at the Estate Resort. and Bar which is in Moodbidri, around 40 mins outside Mangalore (and is Pet friendly to boot), situated on a hill. Nice place with good views. Had food at many of the famous local eateries in the Mangalore stretch and highly recommend Machali in Udupi.
Silverfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 09:00   #9110
Distinguished - BHPian

NBTL Flyover to remain closed till Jan 14

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20220105_085546.jpg

Source: Deccan Herald
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 17:10   #9111
BHPian

I was planning to go on 14th Jan to Mangalore. Not sure if they will impose curfew on that day too. Also, is there any improvement in the Hassan - Sakleshpur stretch?
Old 12th January 2022, 13:34   #9112

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krao View Post
I was planning to go on 14th Jan to Mangalore. Not sure if they will impose curfew on that day too. Also, is there any improvement in the Hassan - Sakleshpur stretch?
Saw your post and decided to take the Sakleshpur/Hassan route for my trip from Mangalore to Bangalore. I travelled on 11th January, Tuesday. I have put my experience in reverse order for your convenience. Here is what you can expect:

1) Bangalore to Hassan: The road is superb. There are places where road work is going on, but the stretch is mostly a breeze.

Note 1: NICE road has started using FASTAG. However, stretches of the road are being repaired between Kanakapura and Magadi exits and the road is literally half the original width. Thus expect slow traffic.

Note 2: A note for people who take Magadi road to avoid Nelamangala: Magadi road widening is happening and it is best to avoid it for the time being.

2) Hassan to Sakleshpur: Road widening work is happening at places, so there are patches of gravelly road. But I think the really bad potholes are patched and a decent speed can be maintained.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-patchedroad.jpeg

3) Sakleshpur to Gundya: The road starting from Sakleshpur town, going towards Shiradi gha, starts deteriorating and gets really bad till the concrete portion starts. The good thing is, this bad stretch is only about 6KM long and can be endured. Be slow, keeping an eye on the heavy truck movement and you will be fine. After this, the concrete road lasts till Gundya and is in top condition.

Here is a snap of the bad section:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-ghat_section.jpeg

Another shot of the bad stretch:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-bad_ghat_section.jpeg

4) Gundya to Mangalore: The road is butter smooth. Traffic can be the only problem here. I travelled on a weekday, so encountered no issues at all.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-good_road_after_gundya.jpeg

Hope this helps.

Note: While going to Mangalore, I took the Mysore road -> Kushalnagar -> Madikeri -> Sullia -> Puttur route and is a good alternative if needed.
scorp77 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 09:42   #9113
Senior - BHPian

Looks like NHAI is proposing to close Shiradi Ghat for six months

Mangaluru: NHAI's proposal to close Shiradi Ghat for six months opposed.

Quote:
Mangaluru, Jan 16: The National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) has proposed closing Shiradi Ghat completely for six months in order to make four lane road from Donigal, on the outskirts of Sakleshpur to Maranahalli (220 to 230 km). The proposal has created anxiety among the people of coastal region.

As per a report in a Kannada daily, NHAI has appealed in this regard to the deputy commission of Hassan. If the proposal gets the nod from the district administration, the whole transportation between Bengaluru and coastal districts will be disrupted massively, say commuters.

Hassan DC Girish has also expressed concern over the issue and asked NHAI to any other alternative or to finish the work as soon as possible as closing the ghat for six months would be really difficult.

. . .

Public is questioning the time period of six months to repair just 10 km stretch of road, even in modern times with latest technology available at finger tips. NHAI says that there are sharp hair pin bends where huge retainer walls need to be built and it will consume time. Another important point to note is that none of the scheduled works on Shiradi Ghat have competed on time. So there is a doubt that even this work will not be over in the scheduled six months.
Old 21st January 2022, 09:14   #9114
BHPian

More bad news.. 4 Laning of Shiradi Ghat approved.
https://www.daijiworld.com/news/news...?newsID=917548
Old 21st January 2022, 09:28   #9115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
NBTL Flyover to remain closed till Jan 14
Latest update with no specific date:

Tumakuru Road flyover to stay shut longer

Quote:
A team of experts from the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) who inspected the Goraguntepalya flyover on Tumakuru Road, which has been closed for repairs since December 25, said it may remain shut for a while longer

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st January 2022 at 09:30.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 09:56   #9116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is Dabaspet - Dobballapur - Yelahanka option correct to avoid getting stuck at the traffic at this spot? Will be travelling in a day or two to Bangalore from Pune. My reaching time is around 4-5 pm and in time for getting stuck in the jam. Any other option to reach Hebbal junction avoiding traffic?

In the maps I can see another route from Nelamangala to Doddaballapur? Any reviews on this?
Old 21st January 2022, 10:08   #9117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Is Dabaspet - Dobballapur - Yelahanka option correct to avoid getting stuck at the traffic at this spot? Will be travelling in a day or two to Bangalore from Pune. My reaching time is around 4-5 pm and in time for getting stuck in the jam. Any other option to reach Hebbal junction avoiding traffic?

In the maps I can see another route from Nelamangala to Doddaballapur? Any reviews on this?
Option 1: Dabasete Doddaballapura Yelahanka

During November 2021, I had reported massive expansion work soon after Dabaspete towards Doddaballapura with a lot of speedbreakers. I had also mentioned how it may not be a viable option as of now due to this work as I too realised it was not worth it.

Option 2: Nelamangala Gollahalli Hesarghatta CRPF (YNK) Yelahanaka

In this road, please remember that around 4-5 km soon after crossing Nelamangala town is work in progress due to expansion. This 4-5 km stretch is bad, with potholes and rough surfaces throughout but only till Gollahalli Railway station after which you fork out towards Hesarghatta. From here the road all the way is good.

Between the above 2, given the current state of Dabaspete Doddaballapura stretch, I will pick option 2. In summary, if you can accept the fact that the first 4-5 km stretch with option 2 is something you cannot escape but the better part of the road starts soon after, please consider taking this route.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 16:03   #9118
Team-BHP Support

https://www.mangalorean.com/gadkari-...ation-project/

The image in the above story of Shiradi ghat has the photo from Charmady.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Looks like NHAI is proposing to close Shiradi Ghat for six months
I drove through Shiradi this week after a gap of 4-5 month, meanwhile I kept taking Charmady twice a month.

I had missed offroading for some years now, and I was able indulge in it. Gotta say I enjoyed the drive. The OME suspension got a nice workup.

A sample of it:

Quote:

I lost 30 minutes to this nonsense. The traffic below the flyover rarely moves.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 17:10   #9119

I traveled Bangalore to Mangalore today to avoid what could be the continuation of the weekend lockdown. Took the Charmadi route.
Start 8:15, reached Mangalore at 4:15.
We made 3 stops in totalling about 1 hour. There was absolutely no traffic and the roads were good with some minimal roadwork happening which is mangeable.

My recommendation in case you are not particular about meals is to stop at Ibbani cafe on the way. The food is good and the restrooms neat (Indian style)
Old 22nd January 2022, 08:11   #9120
BHPian

I too travelled on 21st from Mangalore to Bangalore to avoid weekend curfew. Started at 11:15 am from Nanthoor and took 7 hrs 30 mins via Shirady Ghat. Except for the 10 kms bad stretch between Sakleshpur and end of concrete in Shirady Ghat, the whole stretch is smooth. My new Punch didn't have any trouble on this bad patch��.
My take, if you have a hatchback, sedan or smaller car, take charmadi or you can take Shirady.
Traffic was minimal so enjoyed the drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks