BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Did this route over the past few days:
1. Bangalore to Kadumane Veg Resort near Sakleshpur
2. Kadumane Resort to Bisle Ghat
3. Kadumane resort to Dharmasthala via Charmadi
4. Dharmasthala to Kukke
5. Kukke to Bangalore via Shiradi

1. The resort I went to is around 15 kms off the Sakleshpur - Mudigere highway. The Hassan - Sakleshpur road is still being laid. Some patches have good concrete roads and some patches are horrible. Not much problem crossing Sakleshpur town since it was Sunday morning.
2. The route to Bisle Ghat was through village roads, many of which were good. We joined the highway around 5 km before Bisle ghat
3. The easier route to Dharmasthala to the resort is via Shiradi but I chose to Charmadi ghat route since I have never been via the Charmadi ghat. As mentioned by the previous poster, the road from Mudigere to Kottigehara is not great but not terrible either. The Charmadi road is very good and the scenery is excellent. The roads all the way to Dharmasthala are good.
4. Dharmasthala to Kukke has amazing roads. Wonderful greenery and a joy to drive, in case you love driving on roads that twists and turns constantly
5. Drive from Kukke to Bangalore was peaceful till we cross a lot of Shiradi Ghat section. Then the nightmare started. The roads were horrible, traffic was awful and I literally got a headache. At one point there were close to around 15 or 20 trucks and tankers stuck on the road in a ghat section. Luckily for us, a small shop owner directed us through a narrow mud road running through a village. This bypassed the jam. The roads did improve after that and it was bad all the way till we got to the divided Hassan Bangalore highway. This time crossing Sakleshpur town was also a pain since it was not a Sunday. If you can, try and avoid this route. An alternate route, even if it increases your traveling distance by 30 to 40 km may still be worth it given the pathetic condition of the roads here.

Had food at the following places: An Udipi joint around 3 to 4 km after the Nelamangala junction going towards Hassan. On way, back stopped at Pakashala, which is just a short distance before the more famous Swati Residency. My favorite in this segment is Mayura at Adi Chunchunagiri.

Stayed at a place called Aditya Nest at Kukke. It is just beside the entrance arch of Kukke. Nice place and good food. The place I stayed at Sakleshpur, Kadumane Veg Resort, was an excellent place. Inside a jungle, surrounded by hills all around. Good food and friendly staff.
SureshS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 02:39   #9062
BHPian

Re: Benagluru to Malpe-Dec 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayendra16 View Post
Hi,
Need help in figuring out the best route from Namma Bengaluru to Malpe/Udupi for my upcoming road trip. I haven’t done a road trip in quite some time so would prefer the shortest route with good roads. Traveling with Wife and Daughter.
Refer to this thread for answer
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ore-udupi.html (The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi)
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 07:47   #9063
Senior - BHPian

There is a new place in Manipal for some good food. It is The Mill, run by the people at Dollops, which is another good place in Manipal.
The place is accessible through gmaps. The location is near the Masjid as you go down towards Karkala. Parking is limited to about 6 cars. The restaurant is built upon an old home and the ambience is very rustic. Wooden benches and tables which remind us of school days. Simple yet comfortable. However summer might be of some discomfort as there is no air conditioning available.
Coming to food, it was piping hot and excellent. The menu is limited but has variety of options. Sharing a few of pics captured by a friend of mine during the visit.
The menu
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20211216_203153.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20211216_203202.jpg

The ambience

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20211216_213054.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20211216_203317_1.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20211216_203532_1.jpg

The food
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20211216_203926.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20211216_205136.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20211216_205448.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20211216_211651.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20211216_211121.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 08:56   #9064
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayendra16 View Post
Hi,
Need help in figuring out the best route from Namma Bengaluru to Malpe/Udupi for my upcoming road trip. I haven’t done a road trip in quite some time so would prefer the shortest route with good roads. Traveling with Wife and Daughter.
Bengaluru - Nelamangala - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere Handpost - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Padubidre - Malpe.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 16:04   #9065
BHPian

I'll be traveling from Bangalore to Mangalore city on Wednesday, 22nd December.

Looking at the posts on the last couple of pages, is this the best route to take, taking best road conditions in consideration?

Bangalore-Settyhalli-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Belthangady-Bantwal-Mangalore

Would appreciate if anyone can recommend a good restaurant for lunch on this route, assuming we leave from Bangalore around 9-10 in the morning.
Old 18th December 2021, 17:12   #9066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post

Bangalore-Settyhalli-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Belthangady-Bantwal-Mangalore
Yes. The above route is the preferred / recommended route in given circumstances.

I remember having food at a Dhaba right outside Mudigere bus stand and it was quite delicious.. However I am not sure if it's still open owing to the pandemic.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 18:08   #9067
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Looking at the posts on the last couple of pages, is this the best route to take, taking best road conditions in consideration?

Would appreciate if anyone can recommend a good restaurant for lunch on this route, assuming we leave from Bangalore around 9-10 in the morning.
If you are taking Charmadi assuming you are not traveling alone, you are going to get into the Hassan town and hotel Raama has a good lounge bar + restaurant & washrooms. This place is preferred even if you are taking the other route, the small detour is worth it in my opinion.

There are some local delicacies in the BM road (town) but that is boys only.

Use Shiradi route only if you are traveling alone, it is faster that way but very uncomfortable.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 18:10   #9068
Senior - BHPian

Came back from Udupi today.
Took the Manipal Karkala Naravi Belthangady Ujire Kottigehara Mudigere Belur Hassan Nelamangala Bengaluru route.
The bad stretch between Manipal and Hiriyadka has been patched up. This is roughly about 3 km stretch. Widening work is going on albeit at a slow pace.
There are now few places between Ujire and Charmadi which has developed ruts, mostly at corners.
The speed breakers at the exit of the deviation around CR Patna are being taken down. It is now at the entrance only.
Fastag is now a breeze at all the toll booths on Hassan highway. But the morons with invalid/ blacklisted tags have increased.
On my way down last weekend, the accident on Charmadi ghat was like 6, all minor ones with scrapes on the sides or gone down the shoulder at turns. Definitely people ought to drive a bit careful as newbies are taking over the wheels, but thankfully nothing to report today except for a completely burnt down Verito on the ghats. Hope the people escaped and are safe.
And lastly today being Datta Jayanthi, all hotels except Aramane Grand, Fresh Bean Cafe and Malnad Cafe were closed. The ones open were swarming with people.
unk9ja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 20:43   #9069

Hi there,

I am planning to drive Bangalore - Kundapura coming Sunday with Family. I did via-Agumbe ghat last time and it was a pretty good 10 hr drive with small breaks in between. This time want to try a new route, though want to be careful about the road conditions and trying to avoid too many curves, as my son gets motion sick. Looking for advise, Google is showing 3 options? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-screenshot-20211220-8.37.55-pm.png  

Old 21st December 2021, 10:58   #9070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you have an UV and travelling to Mangalore, I would stick to Shiradi. Charmadi route does have some bad patches near Kottigehara and Charmadi-Ujire. Add to that day time traffic from Ujire to BC road will slow down you quite a bit. Unless you want to experience Charmadi ghat, I will suggest Shiradi.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 19:00   #9071

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Bengaluru - Nelamangala - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere Handpost - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Padubidre - Malpe.

Thank you for the elaborate route details!
Old 21st December 2021, 22:06   #9072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Also, noticed that there is a small Paakshala outlet coming up between Soluru and Kunigal. They are really taking up to the competition.
While Swathi still seems to garner a chunk of the crowd, Paakashala is really upping the game. Stopped by today to have a quick snack on the way back to Bangalore from Hassan and was pleasantly surprised by the good well lit parking, a huge and clean toilet facility (both pain points with Swathi especially during weekends), and they've tied up with Zeon Charging to install EV fast chargers in their highway restaurants.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20211221_172113.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20211221_174210.jpg  

Rossiter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 17:57   #9073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
If you have an UV and travelling to Mangalore, I would stick to Shiradi. Charmadi route does have some bad patches near Kottigehara and Charmadi-Ujire. Add to that day time traffic from Ujire to BC road will slow down you quite a bit. Unless you want to experience Charmadi ghat, I will suggest Shiradi.
Did Bangalore Mangalore via Charmadi. All good other than those bad patches you mentioned, which wasn't that irritating.

Plus I've done Uppinangadi Bantwal several times before and found Ujire Bantwal to be better, hardly any truck traffic while the former has too much of them.

Charmadi was amazing. Butter smooth roads. Although the traffic was way too errant, people driving as if it's a one way road.
Old 23rd December 2021, 08:38   #9074
Senior - BHPian

I'll be driving from Uppinangady to Honnavara next week. Google Maps suggests either through Mangalore/Udupi or through Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Karkala - Hiriyadka - Cherkady - Bramhavara. I would prefer the internal route through Karkala but I'm not familiar with the road conditions. Which would be the best bet?
Old 23rd December 2021, 09:21   #9075
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I'll be driving from Uppinangady to Honnavara next week. Google Maps suggests either through Mangalore/Udupi or through Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Karkala - Hiriyadka - Cherkady - Bramhavara. I would prefer the internal route through Karkala but I'm not familiar with the road conditions. Which would be the best bet?
GV kere to Naravi is slightly damaged. But Karkala to Hiriyadka is fine. After Karkala, you have the option of taking belman-Katpady route to reach NH-66 too.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks