Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2022, 22:34   #9166
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
The route is Tirthahalli - Kaimara - Yadur - Mastikatte, and then Hulikal ghats descent. This is the usual bus route too (including many Bangalore-Kundapura night buses) and doesn't touch Nagara. Back in November, this section was pretty good. Mastikatte junction has a restaurant, then at Hosangadi down the ghats. Fuel tankers and gas cylinder containers make up the bulk of the traffic here.
Thanks for pointing that out. I thought you were referring to the road to Nagar. But I guess what you mention is the road goes around Kaval Durga and close to Mani (deviation from Mulubagilu). Yes this is a good option and one can bypass Nagara too. I was not sure if this is a regular traffic road.

And yes for that matter even the Ayanur-Ripponpet is pretty desolate. But I must say both are amazingly beautiful stretches !

An early morning around Ampar-Hosangadi

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-can_7dii_2018_11_02_00009335_lr_lr.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-p1000076_lr_lr.jpg

Around Kavaldurga. The Mani backwaters.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_4220_lr_lr.jpg

The ever beautiful Ayanur-Ripponpet stretch

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_3197_lr_lr.jpg

Quote:
While Tarikere-Lakkavalli-Bhadra dam & Muduba-Tirthahalli stretches are good, the worse part of @cnu's route is Bhadra dam to Muduba. Back when I drove, this had many sections where a hatch/sedan easily scraped its bottom, but I have heard there has been an attempt to patch them up off late.
One option here may be to go all the way and take Bhadra bypass and then turn to Mandagadde via Umblibail. Not sure how this section of SH65 stands today.

Last edited by ampere : 6th March 2022 at 22:39.
ampere is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 00:06   #9167

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Please take option 2 as the roads are currently in much better shape. Though the bad stretch on the Shiradi route is only about 15-20 kms, sedans and hatchbacks are quite likely to scrape the underbelly, especially if full load.
Thanks Rahul, went via Option (2) --- Roads were good throughout !
Sanbhat1611 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 14:04   #9168
Senior - BHPian

Was brave enough to attempt to take Shriadi ghat route today for a drive from Mangalore to Bangalore. No surprises, as usual, terrible roads all over Sakleshpur.

BC Road to Nellyadi: Road work in progress, lots of diversions and you sometime end up jumping to the lane which is in complete. Pain to drive.

Ghat section: Absolutely fine

From ghat top till Sakleshpur town: Worst roads on earth. I wonder what on earth stops the authorities to fix this stretch? Even KSRTC's couldn't survive this, saw one with a broken axle.

Sakleshpur to Hassan: Bad roads and usual under construction road beside and frequent diversions back and forth. At one point, there wasn't any diversion and I went on to drive on the newly laid concrete road happily only to realise at the end that it doesn't go further. And had to reverse all the way to come back and divert back to the actual old road.

Hassan onwards: Roads are good but lots of road expansion and flyover construction happening throughout the 4 lane stretch, guess until Kunigal. Diversions to single lane service road mutliple times.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 7th March 2022 at 14:06.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 14:13   #9169
BHPian

Has anyone traveled on the Uppinangady > Kadaba > Bisle > Shanivarsante > Channarayapatna section, recently?

I would like to know the road conditions and whether we can do this on a hatchback.
Old 7th March 2022, 14:37   #9170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Has anyone traveled on the Uppinangady > Kadaba > Bisle > Shanivarsante > Channarayapatna section, recently?

I would like to know the road conditions and whether we can do this on a hatchback.
I have driven on this exact route last month and excellent roads all the way from Uppinangady to Channarayapatna.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 00:55   #9171
BHPian

Driving to Kundapura this Thursday night (17th March) night drive and back to Bangalore on Sunday 20th, day drive.

Car: Laura
Pax: Me + 3 adult men (all well fed)

Would appreciate it if someone can suggest the ideal route. Definitely aim to avoid bad roads.

Google maps is showing me the following options both via Agumbe. Would Agumbe be open for onward journey which is a night drive? Leaving Blr circa 10 PM, plan to reach Kundapura about 8 AM on Friday.

Blr-Hassan-Belur-Balehonnur-Hariharapura-Agumbe-Halady-Kundapura about 400km

Blr-Tumkur-Hiriyur-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Halady-Kundapura about 430km

Thanks in advance.
Old 14th March 2022, 08:39   #9172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
Driving to Kundapura this Thursday night (17th March) night drive and back to Bangalore on Sunday 20th, day drive.

Car: Laura
Pax: Me + 3 adult men (all well fed)

Would appreciate it if someone can suggest the ideal route. Definitely aim to avoid bad roads.
I drove to Kundapur in my BMW 320d in February. We drove via Bangalore-Hassan-Chikamaglur (CKM)-Sringeri-Agumbe-Kundapur route. Excellent roads throughout. I would definitely suggest this road if you are looking at the close to shortest distance and good roads throughout.

Please note that your Google Maps suggestion includes a shortcut from Belur to Balehonnur. I have driven on that road in September and also again in October, and I can tell you that is not a great road. That is technically the shortest distance, but actually a very narrow road with broken patches. Not recommended for a sedan. Therefore, the relatively longer road (but adds only about 10 minutes of extra time overall) is via CKM. Therefore, I would recommend Belur-CKM-Sringeri path over the shortcut suggested by Google.

While returning, we returned via Charmadi ghat. While those roads are good too, that is a longer route for sure. So I suggest returning again via Agumbe-Sringeri, unless you want to explore this longer road via Charmadi.

Check out our travelogue which has the map and also pictures of the roads to give you an idea of what to expect.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 14th March 2022 at 08:44.
Dr.AD is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 08:44   #9173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Google maps is showing me the following options both via Agumbe. Would Agumbe be open for onward journey which is a night drive? Leaving Blr circa 10 PM, plan to reach Kundapura about 8 AM on Friday.
If you go back one page, you will learn that Agumbe is closed right now. Will it open by 17th, no one really knows.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 09:02   #9174
Team-BHP Support

Like we discussed earlier, I guess the best option is to take the Hulikal ghat.

Either: Thirthahalli-Hosangadi-Ampar-Kundapur
or
Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Nagar-Hosangadi-Ampar-Kundapur

For both the option, a morning drive is preferable. Roads are narrow and twisty. Not worth a night drive. (At least I won't)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 11:50   #9175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I have driven on this exact route last month and excellent roads all the way from Uppinangady to Channarayapatna.
I did travel on this route on last tuesday, and as mentioned above it was good all the way. The roads are narrow in the ghats, and one should be careful on the turns.

BTW, heard that there has been some patch-up work done between sakleshpur <> maranahally towards shirady. Can someone who traveled in the recent past, please confirm the same?
Old 14th March 2022, 15:51   #9176
BHPian

Quote:
Similar scenario here, driving to Kundapur in April, but with my family in SUV and no night drive.

Apart from routes by Google maps and Hulikal ghat, aslo considering that Agumbe is still closed, how is the below route:

Bangalore - Hassan - Charmadi - Mudabidri - Hejamadi - Kundapur : https://goo.gl/maps/N19QRRPLRtcNWRRR6

Is Mangalore (Hejamadi) to Kundapura fully 4 laned?
Old 14th March 2022, 16:17   #9177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
An early morning around Ampar-HosangadiThe ever beautiful Ayanur-Ripponpet stretch
My god, those are breathtaking photos! Like travel photos from a more peaceful past. Have to go on this stretch and soon! Thanks for sharing.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 18:54   #9178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
how is the below route:

Bangalore - Hassan - Charmadi - Mudabidri - Hejamadi - Kundapur
Take Charmadi Belthangady Guruvayanakere Nellikar Aladangadi Naravi Bajagoli Karkala Padubidre Kundapura. The roads have been done up recently on this stretch.

The Karkala Manipal stretch is also equally good but a bit rough for about 2kms around Manipal as road are being widened.
Old 15th March 2022, 01:02   #9179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
My god, those are breathtaking photos! Like travel photos from a more peaceful past. Have to go on this stretch and soon! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you!

These places are amazing but we need that time to lazily drive through these locations. Then such moments do hit you.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 10:55   #9180
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Agumbe ghat is closed starting today...

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le65187244.ece
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
On second thoughts this should also be good option as it gives access Thirthahalli and we can break for food in that town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
The route is Tirthahalli - Kaimara - Yadur - Mastikatte, and then Hulikal ghats descent.

While Tarikere-Lakkavalli-Bhadra dam & Muduba-Tirthahalli stretches are good, the worse part of @cnu's route is Bhadra dam to Muduba. Back when I drove, this had many sections where a hatch/sedan easily scraped its bottom, but I have heard there has been an attempt to patch them up off late.
Thanks guys for all the inputs. Drove from Bangalore to Kundapura last week and followed the below route and it was a breeze to drive:

BLR - Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Tarikere - Lakkavalli (Bhadra) - Hunasekatte - Muduba - Thirthahalli - Kaimara - Yadur - Masthikatte - Hulikal Ghat - Kundapura

Except for a couple of short rough patches (no potholes though) after Tarikere and after Hunasekatte, the entire route is smooth. Watch out for good number of twists and turns and few narrow stretches here and there between Lakkavalli and Muduba. The road between Lakkavalli and Hunusekatte is newly laid. Need to follow GMaps closely between Lakkavalli and Muduba as its easy to miss the turns. Keep the drive relaxed and enjoy the scenic views.

We started in BLR (Marathahalli) at 7am and reached Kundapura by 4.30pm including two 30min breaks for breakfast and lunch. If you are starting in the morning, I would suggest to stop for breakfast before Tumkur and at Thirthahalli town for lunch.
cnu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks