Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2010, 00:11   #1651
Senior - BHPian

just an update on Rasta roko for betterment of NH17 and NH 48 that happend today

today morning they did not allow any buses to enter highway from Mangalore city. The highway entry was blocked near the kottara chowki. i got down from volvo and came till kottara in a bus. from there 4 Km walk till MCF thanks fully my brother came by car from some inner road to pick me up else i had to walk till Suratkal. initially they dint even allow cars or bikes. they were requesting every one to use inner roads for commute! later when i went to Mangalore in bike, private vehicles were allowed to commute on road.

I sincerley hope govt will listen to our voice and repair the roads for us

As Kadri said, tomorrow at 11 o'clock there is hindu samajotsava in Mangalore. So many roads are blocked. also there will be big rush.

So people please avoid entering Mangalore city tomorrow
Old 24th January 2010, 00:29   #1652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
The train then speeds its way to Mangalore and reaches after an hours delay.

The seats are not comfortable, its just like chair car with 3+3 seats and its not like a sleeper coach. Leg space is also limited. There is a 3 tire AC compartment but you will miss the Shiradi ghat view.

thanks Kadri007 for detailes. i too want to travel by this day train once. i heard even ticket cost is very less, 100 rupees! is it so?

whats the scheduled arrival time of the train?
Old 24th January 2010, 09:19   #1653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
thanks Kadri007 for detailes. i too want to travel by this day train once. i heard even ticket cost is very less, 100 rupees! is it so?whats the scheduled arrival time of the train?
The day time train starts from Yesvanthpur and goes via Tumkur, Arsikere, Hassan to Mangalore.

Train no is 6515 from Yesvanthpur and 6516 from Mangalore.

Departure time - Yesvanthpur: 7.30AM

Arrival time - Mangalore: 6.55PM

Fare: Rs 116 only. I booked in Tatkal for 2 of us the fare was just Rs 252. Even i got a shock seeing the fare. Its just cheap.

The night train starts from Yesvanthpur and goes via Bangalore City - Mysore - Hassan to Mangalore city and then goes to Kannur.

Train no is 6517 from Yesvanthpur and 6518 from Mangalore.

Fare: Rs 224 for Sleeper class.

Departure time - Yesvanthpur: 8.35PM

Departure time - Bangalore City: 8.55PM

Arrival time - Mangalore: 8.30AM

Here are some recent bus fares

KSRTC Rajahamsa Fare: Rs 350

VRL Upper Sleeper: Rs 370

Durgamba Lower Sleeper: Rs 480

Last edited by kadri007 : 24th January 2010 at 09:21.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:46   #1654
BHPian

Here's a update on Saturday's Rasto Rako

Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World!
Old 25th January 2010, 12:27   #1655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The day time train starts from Yesvanthpur and goes via Tumkur, Arsikere, Hassan to Mangalore.

Thanks Kadri007.

Volvo bus fare

one way from Mangalore to Bangalore Rs.500

if return ticket booked together, RS 953 per person

But today bus arrived quite early compared to last 6 months. started at 9.30 from mangalore and reached Bangalore at 5.25. this includes 25 minutes break at kamat Upachar @ chennarayapattana!
Old 1st February 2010, 21:45   #1656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007

I just came today morning from Mangalore by Sugama A/C sleeper. Roads have improved a lot due to patch works, shiradi still remains a pain.
Started at 10.30 PM and reached IIM-B around 7 AM.

Sugama A/C sleeper fare - Rs 550/-
If you book to and fro, you will get 10% discount. (~around Rs1000)

Regarding train, i think we need to have a train from Bangalore till Karwar at least. I don't understand why 6517 got extended till Kannur :(

Last edited by funda2max : 1st February 2010 at 21:53.
Old 1st February 2010, 22:04   #1657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
I just came today morning from Mangalore by Sugama A/C sleeper. Roads have improved a lot due to patch works, shiradi still remains a pain.
Started at 10.30 PM and reached IIM-B around 7 AM.

Sugama A/C sleeper fare - Rs 550/-
If you book to and fro, you will get 10% discount. (~around Rs1000)

Regarding train, i think we need to have a train from Bangalore till Karwar at least. I don't understand why 6517 got extended till Kannur :(

Karwar to Bangalore train-route via Mangalore is roundabout. Though I have no doubts about its tourist value. But I guess IR may not turn on this option.
Old 1st February 2010, 22:57   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Karwar to Bangalore train-route via Mangalore is roundabout. Though I have no doubts about its tourist value. But I guess IR may not turn on this option.
Actually the Bangalore - Mangalore night train was initially planned to extend its services to Karwar, but finally due to political pressure from some minister in Kerela it got extended to Kannur. Our Karnataka ministers were taking a nap at that time.

There are some new talks of the Bangalore - Palagat - Kannur train to extend to Mangalore. The train which currently leaves Yesvantpur at 8.00PM reaches Kannur at 9.45AM. If this train gets extended it will take another 3 hours to reach Mangalore and it may reach around 12.45PM.

Frankly speaking I cant understand whether people are going to benefit from such plan.

Even if you take a 11.PM Volvo it reaches Mangalore by 7AM.

I heard some minister in Kerela wants to make a new railway division in Kerela from the current southern railway division.

The actual people who have got benifited from these politics is KSRTC and Private bus owners operating in Bangalore- Mangalore Sector.
Old 2nd February 2010, 08:10   #1659
BHPian

Quote:
Actually the Bangalore - Mangalore night train was initially planned to extend its services to Karwar, but finally due to political pressure from some minister in Kerela it got extended to Kannur. Our Karnataka ministers were taking a nap at that time.
As far as I know, the Mangalore train was intended to travel only up to Mangalore. It was later decided to extend till Kannur, as it benifit many people. If there is politics or not, it is a huge benifit for people living north of Kannur.

Quote:
I heard some minister in Kerela wants to make a new railway division in Kerela from the current southern railway division.

The actual people who have got benifited from these politics is KSRTC and Private bus owners operating in Bangalore- Mangalore Sector.
The railways in Kerala till Mangalore, and Udupi was almost in the forgotten state till recent. Only after we had railways ministers in both state (KL and KA), it has got some momentum. Any way, if railway could mobilise little more on the goods movement, we can hope for better road as there will lesser heavy loaded trucks..!!

Thanks
Rajesh

Last edited by RajeshK : 2nd February 2010 at 08:12.
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:33   #1660
Team-BHP Support

Though I would definitely try the day train option to Mangalore. That is high on my agenda! My comments were only for the extension part. Because I thought there were passenger trains running on the Konkan sector.

I also agree that Kannur/Udupi and rest Konkan areas were not give due importance.
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:58   #1661
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
As far as I know, the Mangalore train was intended to travel only up to Mangalore. It was later decided to extend till Kannur, as it benifit many people. If there is politics or not, it is a huge benifit for people living north of Kannur.

The railways in Kerala till Mangalore, and Udupi was almost in the forgotten state till recent.
Quote:
I also agree that Kannur/Udupi and rest Konkan areas were not give due importance.
The KA ministers were not really sleeping. The most powerful politician of Udupi district heads the private bus owners lobby. I'll leave it to your imagination whose interests are being served. Since we don't discuss politics on Team-BHP, let's not go in this path.

Every effort has been made from the government side to ensure that Bangalore-Mangalore train doesn't become a comfortable or default method of travel for the passengers on this route. The train leaves from the bottom most tip of Udupi/DK area, and end at the outermost tip of Bangalore at Yashwantpur. Recently my parents travelled on this day train. It took 15 hours from door to door. No proper food is served, the train stops at every level crossing giving priority to any other train, everytime. My mother thinks they spent more time stopped than travelling. They enjoyed views though. If the train route continued all the way up beyond Mangalore, it would have been wonderful for people living along Udupi, Kundapur, all the way up to Karwar.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd February 2010 at 09:59.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:28   #1662
BHPian

Guys,
I will be traveling from Bengaluru to Udupi on the 4th. Is this still the best road?

Bangalore -Nelamangala - NH4 - 29km
Nelamangala - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan - NH48 - 156 km
Hassan - Belur - Chickmagalur - SH 57 - 55 km
Chickmagalur - Vastare - SH 64 - 8km
Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - 40km
Balehonnur - Magundi - 13km
Magundi - Balehole - Kalasa - SH66 - 20km
Kalasa - Samse - Kudremukh - SH66 - 40 km
Kudremukh - Bajagoli - Karkala - NH13 - 50 km
Karkala - Hiriyadka - Parkala - Udupi - SH25A - 25 km
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:49   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Guys,
I will be traveling from Bengaluru to Udupi on the 4th. Is this still the best road?
Nelmangala - Kunigal Stretch and Kalasa - Kudremukha stretch are is not in good condition, the first one is from experience and the second one is from what i heard recently.

You can try out this road Blore - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Mudigere - Kottighera - Charmadi - Belthangady- Mudabidri - Karkal - Udupi.
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:58   #1664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Every effort has been made from the government side to ensure that Bangalore-Mangalore train doesn't become a comfortable.
, Even I had a personal experience in the day train to Mangalore, it lacks basic facilities like tea, mineral water and lunch. My experience and pics below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...udupi-106.html

Even the railway department is focused on getting higher incomes through freight business, hence they are also not focused on running passenger trains effectively.
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:13   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
Because I thought there were passenger trains running on the Konkan sector.

Currently there is only one passenger train running in Mangalore - Goa sector. But on the Mumbai - Goa sector there are a lot of passenger trains running.

Most of the stations in Konkan railway section in Mangalore - Goa sector are far way from the city and are not well connected.

Also if you look at the train timings in Mangalore - Goa sector most these trains run between night 11PM and morning 6AM which actually doesn't help people in the coastal districts of Karnataka.

Hence travel by road is a best option in the coastal belt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks