Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2008, 11:45   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Kamath how did the Safari behave on the painful stretch, am sure it wont have complained
Hi, it sure was well-behaved on the roads . At places where there was no choice but to dive into the epic-craters, all that could be heard was a mild thud.

Quote:
Keeping the roads state i decided to sell my OHC and go for Adventure
guess i made the right choice hehe
A thoughtful decision indeed, if you have frequent travel plans to M'lore (frankly, one of my primary reasons in going for a Safari, the Sumo Victa being the other choice).
Old 10th September 2008, 12:16   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Hi, it sure was well-behaved on the roads . At places where there was no choice but to dive into the epic-craters, all that could be heard was a mild thud.

Mild thud!??? is it from the suspension or the under body touching the ground?

A thoughtful decision indeed, if you have frequent travel plans to M'lore (frankly, one of my primary reasons in going for a Safari, the Sumo Victa being the other choice).
Yes i do, and i intend to travel long distance...and worrying about the roads while i had the OHC had become common.....

Did go to MLore couple of weeks back and i must say the advy dint complain a bit, only that the caliper bolt had gone missing had to bear with that noise on ruff road....
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:54   #168
BANNED

khan_sultan & I had been to Sakleshpur yesterday. A brief update on the route from Bangalore to Sakleshpur:

Bangalore to Nelamangala - the usual bad road, no great potholes but some enough to unsettle a car whose driver is not watching the road surface.

Nelamangala to Sakleshpur - 4 laning activity is about to start between Nelamangala and Kunigal. The usual sand on one side of the road at some places (at a higher level than the road) and pits on one side at some places.

Hassan bypass is a mess as always. The road improves post Hassan. Overall, except for Hassan bypass, the road is generally good except for the sporadic bad patch. We did spot trucks carrying ore near Sakleshpur but far less than what I expected.

For newbies, be cautious in the daytime and avoid at night.
Old 26th September 2008, 12:30   #169
Senior - BHPian

any updates on the condition of Shiradi ghats? am sure it is a off roading track by now
Old 26th September 2008, 12:44   #170
BHPian

For all ye south bangaloreans, do take the nice road all the way to tumkur road, you only have to suffer 10kms to nelamangala on tumkur road
Old 26th September 2008, 13:11   #171
Senior - BHPian

Wish the NICe road took us till pumpwell circle
Old 26th September 2008, 16:11   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wish the NICe road took us till pumpwell circle
Hahaha good one ...How i wish

Anwyay me too planning to go to Udupi coming week

As of now planning to take usual shiradi and then dharmastala-ujire-karkal-udupi to avoid chaotic BC Road-Mangalore-Suratkal traffic

Any idea about Shiradi + Dharmastala route ?
Old 26th September 2008, 16:39   #173
Senior - BHPian

Rajesh, if you see the entire strech is in not good stage, Nelmangala to Sakleshpur lots of potholes... Shiradi was bad a month back. Road to Dharmasthala was good, am sure it would be good.

Also Mangalore to Udupi was good, but till Mangalore you will have a bad time...
Old 26th September 2008, 16:52   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Nelmangala to Sakleshpur lots of potholes...
This stretch is actually quite good overall, if you read my earlier post. Except for Hassan bypass, the road is good. There is the occasional bad patch but nothing to worry about. The update needs to be taken in the context of an NH.

Will anyway post an update with details of bad patches, if possible, on Monday.
Old 26th September 2008, 17:02   #175
Senior - BHPian

hrag, i have traveled in this route last month, yes compared to the later part this is a good road. but when compared to 6months back the present condition is not very good.

But yes its very manageable only that till Kunigal you can find lots of them, but after Adhichuchungiri it gets better.

Last edited by lohithrao : 26th September 2008 at 17:04.
Old 26th September 2008, 23:15   #176
BHPian

There was an accident near Nelyadi early this morning, though not a serious one. A KSRTC Rajahamsa rammed into a mining truck who had stopped for no apparent reason. The driver of the KSRTC Airavath i was travelling by, was proactive and helped remove the door that had jammed on the legs of the conductor, and passengers who could not step out of the bus. The front row occupants (and the conductor) were hurt. Otherwise, a "Jeeva" ambulance was ready and took the injured to he nearby hospital for first-aid, and then to M'lore. Felt sad watching our driver hack at the cabin door with all effort.
The mining business is a boon to concerned interests, and a curse to the common man. Will it stop at all?
Old 27th September 2008, 08:13   #177
Senior - BHPian

I agree kamath, these trucks are a big menace, they are very slow but they make sure they stop where ever they want to......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
There was an accident near Nelyadi early this morning, though not a serious one. A KSRTC Rajahamsa rammed into a mining truck who had stopped for no apparent reason. The driver of the KSRTC Airavath i was travelling by, was proactive and helped remove the door that had jammed on the legs of the conductor, and passengers who could not step out of the bus. The front row occupants (and the conductor) were hurt. Otherwise, a "Jeeva" ambulance was ready and took the injured to he nearby hospital for first-aid, and then to M'lore. Felt sad watching our driver hack at the cabin door with all effort.
The mining business is a boon to concerned interests, and a curse to the common man. Will it stop at all?
Old 29th September 2008, 07:20   #178
BANNED

Nelamangala - Sakleshpur update after the weekend trip:

Some bad patches as you get into and out of Kunigal. Watch out for poorly marked rumbler strips in Kunigal town.
Channarayapatna to Hassan bypass is the best part of this stretch.
Hassan bypass: Be very, very careful on this stretch
Hassan - Alur bypass: Good but watch out after crossing the turn off to Alur, the road alternates between smooth tarmac and nasty potholes / ruts.
Alur bypass - Sakleshpur: Same as above. Be careful on the curves since they are concretized (not sure of the correct term) and can be slippery when wet.

Overall, generally good except for Hassan bypass. When in doubt about a pothole / bad patch, slow down.
Old 29th September 2008, 16:34   #179
Senior - BHPian

I have been on hassan bypass.. really bumpy..tough to go more than 70

About Shiradi, i guess no point in asking about the condition...our beloved have to suffer for god know how long

Atleast i am looking forward to avoid Mangalore so that i can save atleast 1 hour
Old 29th September 2008, 17:08   #180
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how is Charmadis condition? also how about via Kudremukh? what will be the distance? and how is the road condition???

I think who ever is planning to drive down to Mangalore has to look for a alternative route...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks