Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:37   #1096
BHPian

The Government made an announcement sometime last week that all Govt' buses will ply via. Shiradi-Hassan, and avoid the Madikeri route. Spotted a B'lore-bound Airavat on the Saturday afternoon, that had broken down just before the Okalipuram signal, with some fluid (engine oil/coolant) drained all over the road. I'm sure the damage would have been triggered after it passed along the Shiradi section.
For the ministers who hardly travel by road between these two cities, it is not wise to give such directives for the sake of the passengers and the poor bus itself. Imagine the plight of the passengers if the bus had given up somewhere earlier.
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:37   #1097
VBV
BHPian

Has anybody here traveled on Shiradi (atleast from Saklheshpura to Gundya gate) after the opening on Sep 13? If so, how is the road now? Any idea on how long its going to take b/w Sakleshpura and Gundya gate?
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:48   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBV View Post
Has anybody here traveled on Shiradi (atleast from Saklheshpura to Gundya gate) after the opening on Sep 13? If so, how is the road now? Any idea on how long its going to take b/w Sakleshpura and Gundya gate?
My colleague recently returned in this road from Kukke itseems.
He said one word " PATHETIC".
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:13   #1099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
btw even i might be traveling to Mlore this weekend..
I'll be there next weekend (1st Oct). This weekend we're going to be in Hampi (again).
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:19   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
My colleague recently returned in this road from Kukke itseems.
He said one word " PATHETIC".
That is what any new person on this road would say..

people who take this road often surely know how bad it was and it is since 2-3 years for now

I too heard that Shiradi is open and so there is heavy traffic again on the road. But taxi guys still prefer this over other routes

I am off to Mangalore this weekend and taking Madikeri route(Have some work in my native place near Sulya) so that is the reason behind choosing this route
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:29   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Raj , if the people had seen the condition 2years back they would find the present shape to be a heaven

btw am contemplating to go via Shiradi or Madikeri....or take a bus but am sure wont get tickets heheh

Kishore, you seem to be in the mood to travel...good good this is the best time around the year to go around...(cant use anymore smilys hehe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
That is what any new person on this road would say..

people who take this road often surely know how bad it was and it is since 2-3 years for now

I too heard that Shiradi is open and so there is heavy traffic again on the road. But taxi guys still prefer this over other routes

I am off to Mangalore this weekend and taking Madikeri route(Have some work in my native place near Sulya) so that is the reason behind choosing this route
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:49   #1102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Star, 6months back i had been Shimoga - Hosanagar - Shimoga to Hosanagar is ok some places its rough but manageable and Hosanagar towards udupi is bad few kms...
Thanks Lohit,

i did this route yesterday, total 160KM till barkur took 4 hours w/o any breaks.

That explains everything, i believe. Hosanagar owards till Barkur is in bad shape.
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:56   #1103
BHPian

@ Lohit , i am planning to travel to udupi in october for deepavali. Do let me know which route you took and the condition.I hate to travel by bus
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:43   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
@ Lohit , i am planning to travel to udupi in october for deepavali. Do let me know which route you took and the condition.I hate to travel by bus

400kph, take this route..

Bangalore - Hassana - Belur - Chickmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Manipal - Udupi

Same with me, since i own a petrol car it turns out to be a bit expensive and even the road condition is not very encouraging but dont feel like traveling in bus
Old 24th September 2009, 15:32   #1105
BHPian

Just got back from my drive to Udupi-Gokarna. Here's my road status report

Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal (Good) - Magadi road within Bangalore limits is in horrible state. But once you leave the city the road is one of the bext I've driven on. There is quite a bit of traffic, but this one beats the Nelamangala route any day.

Kunigal - Hassan
(Average) - Road construction going on. Not really bad, but not too good either.

Hassan - Chikmaglur (Good) - Good stretch of roads.

Chikmaglur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri (Good) - This entire stretch is ghats. Roads are decent for the most part with a few rough patches here and there.

Sringeri - Agumbe - Manipal (Bad) - The road from Sringeri to Agumber is not that bad. But once you hit Agumbe, the road condition deteriorates progressively.After you descend from Agumbe (the series of hairpins), you hit the most horrible road in the stretch yet. Narrow roads and huge potholes makes life miserable. If you are in small car, you inevitably have to stop the car at each pothole and take it further slowly. The roads get marginally better as you go towards Manipal, but still not that great.

Manipal - Udupi (Average) - Nothing special. Just ordinary roads with potholes here and there.

Udupi - Gokarna (Mix of Horrible and Good roads) - The dreaded NH17. Yes, it is horrible for long enough to leave a bad impression about the roads. Huge potholes all over the roads. I noticed that the roads got worse as you near a town and then get better as you go away from them. This keeps happening for every town you hit on the way. For atleast 10-15 kms after Udupi, it was a nightmare. Eventually gets better as you travel northwards.

Gokarna - Honnavar - Sagar (Good) - Most of this is ghats, but the roads are just great.

Sagar -Shimoga - Tumkur Bangalore (Good)
- Awesome roads for the most parts. Just beware of the lone deep pothole that shows up once in a while. While cruising at 90+ kmph, it can cause some dmg to small vehicles.

Hope this helps.

~Morgul
Old 24th September 2009, 16:20   #1106
BHPian

I happened to be in Mangalore last weekend for Eid celebrations.

I opted the KSRTC Airavath (volvo) for my travel. It costed 500 bucks for the ticket. The bookings were too much for friday night as it was a long weekend and i was (un)lucky to get the last seat i.e seat#44.

The bus took the hassan - shiradi ghat route as opposed to the madikeri - sampaje ghat route. I felt as if i was lying in a cradle all along from sakleshpur till Mangalore. I could also hear the Volvo's sides scraping the roads all along. It was a real sad sound to hear and the volvo's taking so much of beatings.

The bus left majestic at 11 PM and reached Mangalore at 7 AM.

While returning from Mangalore on tuesday night, again took the KSRTC volvo buses. But this time the bus took the sampaje - madikeri route. Did not realize the journey or the condition of roads much as i was lost in a deep sleep. Was in seat#15 this time.

Left Mangalore at 11:15 PM and reached Bangalore(majestic) at 8 AM.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:21   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Morgul

As of now this is the best road we have to travel to Udupi.. As we hardly have roads on other routes
Old 24th September 2009, 17:15   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Poor Volvos are taking beating:( but they are maintaining the time...

btw if we take Magadi route how many kms will be added?
Old 24th September 2009, 18:18   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Poor Volvos are taking beating:( but they are maintaining the time...

lohith,

I dont think it adds any additional distance. I did not quite measure the exact distance, but seeing the time taken, I think it almost the same if not lesser than the Nelamangala route.

~Morgul
Old 25th September 2009, 10:36   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Bangalore - Kunigal via Nelmangala is 74Kms
Bangalore - Kunigal via Magadi is also 74kms (BLR-Magadi =46 Magadi-Kunigal - 28kms)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks